• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So It's September 11th Today....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woke up late cause I had to go to the doctor. Planes were smashing in buildings on the news, so I woke up my dad to let him know. Went to doctor, lots of rumours going on, went to school, got confirmation.

Damn, dark day.

Gallbaro

Banned
Well I just had my first cry about it in all my life. Even though I smelled it on my way to school for many days, visited the towers several times and saw the hole. Some stupid bitch is having her wedding today in arkansas and I the only new yorker have to go.

I was 16 and just got back from a long day in high school. I threw my heavy bag away and right at that time I heard my dad shouting in the living room. Apparently he was following the news al day and saw the first plane hitting the tower. When the second one hit he started shouting and this was about the same time I got back. We watched the news all day, it was extremely surreal. Later that day I rode my bicycle to hockey practice with a teammate. Off course we discussed what happened and he said that there was a possibility that "Bush" was behind it. When he told me this I couldn't believe he said such a thing. A couple of years later all this conspiracy talk became common but to this day I still don't know what drove him to say such a thing on the very day of the attacks when no one in the world was even thinking about conspiracies yet.

DMeisterJ

Banned
God I'm old.

Anyway, I was in eighth-grade computer class when they came over the P.A. and told us we'd be having a half-day, but didn't tell us why. Then I got home and saw the attacks and started playing some Final Fantasy IX.

5th grade, my class was being taken to a different school so we could use their gym (we didn't have our own), and the bus driver was like, "You kids wouldn't be so noisy if you knew what happened in New York today!" I thought the stock market had crashed or something...

DemiMatt

I remember waking up (was in 11th grade at the time) and my parents were watching this 'movie' and looked really into it, so after staring at them for a couple minutes I turned to the TV and saw a plane crash into a building and screamed "THESE EFFECTS ARE AMAZING!"

My dad turned to me and yelled at me telling me this was really going on to which I said, "I KNOW IM WATCHING IT WITH YOU!" To which my mother said, "no in real life"

"oh...."

We spent all day in all classes watching the news in silence, later we found out of my friends dads was on one of the planes. sad day.

Rich!

It was hilarious at the time, for me and my schoolmates. We were going on and on about how world war 3 was imminent, and such. It didn't seem real, and it seemed like something out of a film.

But uh, we were idiots. Looking back on it, it was a horrific act of violence and it's terrifying to think what it must have been like stuck above the impact zone with no chance of escape.

Bread

Banned
StoOgE said:
When the second plane hit their tower all he could hear was explosions and smell jetfuel. Then they heard an elevator next to the stairwell falling and they could hear the people on the elevator screaming as the plane had severed the cables when it crashed into the building. He had to carry a woman who had not followed directions and looked to her left, there was part of the planes landing gear an a severed torso sitting in a gaping hole next to the stairwell.
that's so fucked up

I was in HS, skipping class as usual (Stupid at the time, but that's another story) anyway my friend comes running in saying, "DUDE! America's under attack!"

"Wait, attacked as in being invaded!?"

"I Don't know! Turn on the news!"

I turn on the news and see at the very moment the towers go down. I turn to him with my jaw on the floor.

"We're fucked aren't we?" He says to me.

"I almost feel sorry for the country that's responsible for this."

"Hope it's one of those small countries, not Russia or anything. Cause my ass doesn't want to get drafted."

"You can say that again."

Thinking back....man. We really WERE scared of WWIII happening. Granted, we were in High School, but still.

methos75

Banned
I had just gotten off a 12 hour shift on PAFB, and was getting ready to shower when my Sergent called me and told me the WTC was just attacked and we were put on War ready status, I of course told him too fuck off since he was always playing k=jokes on us and hanged up the phone. I went to shower and while in there my Ex-Wife told me I had to see the News, I watched it just in time to see the second plane crash and immediately knew it was Osama. Called my dad up to let him know Osama finally attacked us here, and put my uniform back on and went back to base. Took me almost 10 hours to get on base, and I only lived 5 mins away, due to the security being increased. From there we went into FPCON Delta, and I ending up working back to back 16 hour shifts with no days off until around mid-Dec when I was deployed to Afgainstan.

Rich!

methos75 said:
I had just gotten off a 12 hour shift on PAFB, and was getting ready to shower when my Sergent called me and told me the WTC was just attacked and we were put on War ready status, I of course told him too fuck off since he was always playing k=jokes on us and hanged up the phone. I went to shower and while in there my Ex-Wife told me I had to see the News, I watched it just in time to see the second plane crash and immediately knew it was Osama. Called my dad up to let him know Osama finally attacked us here, and put my uniform back on and went back to base. Took me almost 10 hours to get on base, and I only lived 5 mins away, due to the security being increased. From there we went into FPCON Delta, and I ending up working back to back 16 hour shifts with no days off until around mid-Dec when I was deployed to Afgainstan.

Pretty similar to how my day at school on 9/11 went then.

But yeah, that sounds nervewracking

I was in 8th grade.

I was reading a small book, can't remember what it was titled. It was average. Saw the TV, and people huddling around it. Since I didn't pay attention (it was English class, and I never had to pay attention), I just thought they were watching a movie.

My mom was scared when I got home, so I had to find out what was going on. She didn't want to let me go to school the next day because they were afraid they'd attack my middle school.

I told her that was dumb, and that she should take me to school. I convinced her, and went to school. Upon finding half the school empty, I was very puzzled. I thought it was dumb that people thought terrorists would target out little school out in the boondocks.

As for the event now, it's sad, but I feel we should move on.

While the new site looks nice, I don't like the idea of the old foundations left as holes, no matter how beautiful. It's like a gaping scar. I'd rather have something else.

Schmitty

5th grade. Lots of parents were taking their kids home. We had no idea what was going on until after recess around 1 pm when our principal came and talked to us.

Harpuia

I was in 2nd grade. I remember a whole bunch of kids being called back home. I hadn't a clue whats going on, only thing I though was "cool, I hope I get called next!" then at lunch I was called to go home. I was greeted by my mom and her friend, not sure if they were crying..I think they were. So then I knew something was up. My moms friends daughter then points up to the sky and tells me to look. I see a large trail of smoke in the sky, coming from the direction of the WTC. I promptly start freaking out a bit. I think by the time we got home, the buildings started to fall...damn, was I scared..

movie_club

I was in fifth grade. Some of my friends were getting called to the main office and going home, but I paid no notice, it was my birthday! Two fresh boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts were waiting on my teachers desk and after a few more worksheets there would be a celebration!

My friend, Justin, had just returned from the bathroom and began complaining that it was no fair because everyone is getting to go home because a "washing machine blew up" in NYC. Soon after, I began to feel sick...ran the garbage...and threw up. I was going home sick.

As I waited in the main office, I saw frantic secretaries and mothers with words like bomb shelters rolling off their tongues. I still had no idea what was going on. When my mom came I asked her and she said she would tell me in the car. I remember like it was yesterday pulling away from the school, hearing the words from my mom, and bursting out crying and screaming "WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!" uncontrollably. I spent the rest of the day sick watching the news. Soon all my family came over "for my birthday" but it was more to be together.

My dad still was not home, he was a NYPD sergeant. He spent the day, and the the weeks ahead hardly being home, doing security in the area, and cleanup...and searching for people. His best friend Glenn was missing, who worked in the city as a lawyer. All of my friends and family had someone close to them who worked in the city. I lived on Long Island. Glenn died voulenteering, my dad has never been the same. i do not like my birthday

As a boy, his dream was to become a firefighter and he did; he became one of the best. Then he studied law and became one of the best. His brother stated, "even though he became a lawyer, my brother always saw himself as a firefighter. It was a passion to him, the chance to help someone. He was always sprinting toward danger."

Glenn Jonathan Winuk, 40, of the Jericho Fire Department, Jericho, New York, died in the collapse of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. He led the evacuation of the lower Manhattan office where he worked, then offered his assistance to NYPD and FDNY members who were evacuating the South Tower. Glenn had done this evacuation procedure in the bombing of the WTC in 1993. He was one of many emergency crew members responding to the South Tower climbing stairs to reach the injured on higher floors when it collapsed trapping him inside.

Fireman Winuk was a decorated Ex-Lieutenant of guardian Engine Company No.2, an EMT-firefighter for twenty years and the former Fire Commissioner in Jericho. He was seen wearing his mask and gloves outside the evacuated New York offices, going to help some place else. "He knew most of the police and firemen, and went to help them after he got us all out," stated a worker. He had helped back in the evacuation the last time it was bombed. He had a calm, firm way that assured you he knew what he was doing."

Mr. Winuk was a partner in the law firm of Holland and Knight in Manhattan, New York. There his law practice focused on construction law. On June 22, 2002 "Spider Park" in Jericho was renamed the "Glenn J. Winuk Memorial Park" and a stone monument was dedicated in his memory.

God damn, all the people saying 3rd, 5th, 8th grade etc. make me feel old :l I was a senior in high school and was riding on the bus. I overheard some other people talking about a shooting that occurred in front of the Sav-On across the street from my school. I thought that was nuts, a shooting that happened right where I got off the bus everyday. I could have been shot, or have seen the whole thing play out had I taken an earlier bus. Later on the ride, I overheard some people talking about some sort of plane crash. I had no idea what they were talking about so I wrote it off.

I got off the bus and walked to my friend's house cause I usually played Mario Tennis (on N64! Wow...) there before leaving for school. When I got to his house, he had the tv on, and was talking about a plane crashing into a building. I sat there and watched for a few minutes but it didn't register with me. I ended up going to school, and once I got to 2nd period AP US history, it dawned on me, because my history teacher Mr. Ronquillo (who im pretty sure wanted to jump my bones :l) started talking on and on about it, and flipped on the TV. Once lunch started, my friend Carlos was really quiet and his eyes were all red, it was his birthday and he had been crying.

Every time his birthday rolls around, I joke about having my two friends Vince and Rodney (who are pretty tall) dress up like buildings and have myself acting like a plane, flying around and smashing into them. I'm just a fuckin horrible person I guess :lol

totowhoa

Banned
On my way to a world history class I think. I was a freshman... remember the kid that was always harassed for being in the closet coming down the hall and yelling, "America's under attack!!"

I gave him an annoyed look because I thought he was being stupid. Then we sat down in my history class, and we had a radio in the room, and that's pretty much what we did for the remainder of that class. Heh. I remember the bombing in Oklahoma City too (I live here). Crazy how you can remember exactly where you were and what you were doing when these kinds of things happen.

Kolgar

I was 31 and driving to work across town while listening to the Howard Stern Show on the radio. They started talking about a report about a plane having hit the World Trade Center and they didn't know what to make of it at first. I think they alternated between nervous fear and making fun of the possibility that some nitwit put a single-engine plane into the side.

Someone wheeled a TV into the studio and when the second plane hit, they at first thought the orange flame was a reflection from the building that had been hit first. I think it was Robyn who first insisted that it was a second plane, and when the news showed the attack from another angle, Howard started yelling "WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!"

His show was actually quite amazing to have been listening to at the time.

When I arrived at work, I went to the workout room where we had a television. I stayed there, watching the news, until the first tower fell, then numbly walked up to my office to work. I have no idea why I stayed at work for the day. I can't imagine anyone was worth a damn. Should have come home, sat on the couch, and just worked through what was happening.

Even today, seeing the footage and all of the specials they have on History Channel and others, the depth of the tragedy is shocking.

-KRS-

I was at home with a friend when my father came home from work and told me to put on the TV. At first I didn't believe it. It felt so unreal watching the news that day. Like in a movie or something when the worst possible thing has happened.

gdt

6th grade on the day it happened.

I'm from Newark NJ, and from certain spots and you see the NY skyline.

That morning, the principal came over the loud speaker and explained what was going on. She then said they were calling parents to let them know they can pick us up if they want to.

One girl in class started crying and was taken outside by the teacher, her father worked in the one of the buildings, but we later found out he got out okay.

My mom picked me up at around noon, and on the drive home I caught a glimpse of the skyline, sans the Twin Towers, and that's when it hit me. I felt awful, like it was a different world. Lots of smoke in the air, plus jets whizzing all over the place.

Also, it's a yearly tradition for me to listen to the Howard Stern Show from that day, he stayed on the air all morning.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
I was in 9th grade in my Life Skills class when some lady from administration came by and discreetly told my teacher to broadcast the attack on a shitty 70's tv. That's when I saw the 2nd plane crash on the other tower. Pretty gruesome.

Was waking up listening to Howard Stern when they started talking about it and at first they were saying it was a small plane crashed. They kinda laughed about it for a while on how a little plane crashed into the tower and then they slowly got more serious and were questioning it. Remember turning on the TV and right then the live feed showed the 2nd plane hit and Howard Sterns show was like "holy @!!%". That's when it all kind of hit me that it was something big.

Jin

I went to work and heard my manager listening to the radio. I thought something really bad must happen. Went online and saw the two burning towers. The thing I remember the most was that radio; it felt like the 40's where the President declared war on Japan.

Ominym

Banned
Weird to think that was so long ago. (6th grade. :lol )Being near Offut all I remember is military convoys and fighter jets non-stop for hours.

I think I was in the 8th grade. We were in homeroom then for some reason it took forever for classes to start and we saw our teacher just come in and out of the room. Then they just told us that school was canceled today.

I got home and saw what happened and damn, I was just really shocked. Nothing really sunk in until a few days later.

My brother was in Brooklyn Tech at the time and he said they were able to see what was going on and shit from there. It was crazy.

besada

Banned
I was wrapping up the last bits of work I had to do before I took off to get married and go on my honeymoon. I was Network Security Manager for a large outsourced payroll company, but that day I mostly arranged for TV's and streaming access to the branches so everyone could watch.

Four days later, my wife and I got married. We arrived at the place we'd rented, only to find it was owned by the National Guard, who had sealed it off. So, on the morning of my wedding we discovered there was no place to get married. After a quick trip to a public park, we got married, and the next morning took the first flight out of the U.S. to Ireland.

While we waited on the flight at O'Hare, a huge crew of cops and soldiers, leading dogs, rushed into the nearby KLM lounge and dragged a guy out in shackles. Apparently he'd gotten the word regarding bomb jokes a little too late.

When we got to Ireland, there were all these freaked-out Americans who'd been stuck there for a week waiting on flights to recommence. We got mobbed with questions we couldn't really answer. For two weeks we traveled around Ireland and everywhere we went people stopped us and said how sorry they were for our loss. Folks shouted stuff like "We're all Americans!"

The weirdest part was coming back. The U.S. had a patriotic revolution while we were gone, and we were gobsmacked at the number of flags flying everywhere, and how the attitudes had already started shifting into hyper-nationalism. We felt very out of step.

Vargas

I was 18 and my family and I had just finished moving from Long Island to the Bronx ten days prior. We didn't have our cable set up or even our phone service so we didn't find out about the attacks until the guy from the phone company told us later that afternoon.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hate vague, imposed, emotionally-saturated mantras. What is the point of "Never Forget"?

Move on with your life.

Yes, it fucking sucks. It sucks to lose someone from your life. It sucks that terrorists are crazy assholes. But you only let their terrorism keep going if you don't move on. Don't think about what you lost, what you could have kept having, what could have been. It doesn't benefit you or anyone else. What would it be like if we lived this way in regard to all loss and pain? Oh, if only the world were perfect, how much better life could have been, how much it could be now... but it's not. It can be a brutal and horrible place.

Which makes me consider another point besides the importance of personal choice to hold a positive mind: Other people have suffered, too. Others have lost loved ones, even seen them taken away and tortured. Others have been exploited, terrorized and oppressed and abused, and still are today. Why keep looking back to one event? Why act as though your suffering is more special and deserves more attention than that in other places which is ongoing?

What is the point of making sure to "Never forget" what happened? Too often I feel like it is in the attitude of remembering to get back, or for "us" to "get" every last one of "them" until the problem is gone. But how many of them have this same mindset? How many of them have that because our weapons killed their families? Some might say it is to "honor" the dead, and I could understand that as a private choice if you were related to them, but otherwise "honoring" victims whose goodness in life you never knew is a pretty empty action, especially as a public event.

It's been nine fucking years. When are we going to turn the page on this bit of history? Must the legacy of this country be thrown away to the context of this one event for the rest of the current generation's rule? I understand for many, they cannot forget, but without forgetting you can still leave something in the past. You can let September 11th become something else. You can make a better world and a better history if you let go.

dramatis

In some ways, it actually feels more like a distant memory than something that happened yesterday. I'm on college campus right now and people are just outside having fun (somebody is actually partying already upstairs). It's an event that shaped the world we are living in now, no doubt, but the actual event is long gone from something the people even remember to have a moment of silence for.

I think that's a good thing. It's become a terribly politicized event, and I wish Americans wouldn't wield it like some kind of justification for all manner of terrible actions. It would be as petty as China to hold a grudge for decades after everything is concluded.

Brannon

Eh, it's already become another historical fact-type day for me. Of course if I say this around anybody I know, I'll never, ever hear the end of it.

Gallbaro

Banned
Dice said:
It's been nine fucking years. When are we going to turn the page on this bit of history? Must the legacy of this country be thrown away to the context of this one event for the rest of the current generation's rule? I understand for many, they cannot forget, but without forgetting you can still leave something in the past. You can let September 11th become something else. You can make a better world and a better history if you let go.

I understand and accept that eventually society will move on and there is no such thing as an appropriate time frame for this.

However for me and probably millions others we will never actually turn the page. I am 100% positive that I will never forget the smell that lingered for weeks.

5th grade.

I was late to school that day because I had somehow misplaced the keys to my mom's minivan. My mom found the spare key to the minivan and we got over to my school as quickly as possible. It was already 3rd hour for me so I went in, told my English teacher what had happened, and quickly sat down in my seat. Everything seemed normal. Then one moment later the math teacher opened the class room door and motioned my English teacher to come out to the hallway. All of us students were a bit perplexed because something was off with the math teacher. He looked a bit spooked. Our English teacher came back in and told us that school would be letting out early. She didn't say why but we were all excited and a bit puzzled. A little bit later, our principal came on the intercom and told us what happened. I at the time didn't know what the World Trade Center was. The only two buildings in NYC that I knew about were the Chrysler building and the Empire State building. When I got home CNN was on and they were replaying what had happened. Scared the shit out of me. It was like watching a movie but I knew it was real. And that people were dying in there...

On a lighter note, for those who were wondering what had happed to the minivan keys that I had lost; my dog, who is mentally retarded, basically ate the keys. When I went up to it's pen to go feed it I must of left them there by accident. All we found was a plastic husk that was the little remote. :p

iNvid02

(UK)

was at school and everyone was talking, teachers were acting strange, luckily we had a
TV in our class and tuned into BBC news. Was just crazy to see/hear what was going on.
Went home and just sat there for an hour watching the news...

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I was watching the episode of Mad Men where JFK is assassinated today and then I realized it was 9/11.

: (

If you're wondering why I was so unconscious of the date it's because Yellowstone National Park is removed from time and space.

Don't remember too much, was in the first grade. All I remember is getting picked up from school and seeing my dad in tears for the first time (and only time).

pgtl_10

I was in my room when someone told me about the attacks. I remember hearing the Palestinian group PFLP did it and I was like "Oh no, Sharon is going to annihilate us". Granted Sharon used 9/11 as a cover to enter Jenin but at least the PFLP did not perform 9/11.

Retrocide

Wow at how young most of you were when it happened.

As for me I was a member of the USAF stationed on Kadena AB,on the island of Okinawa, Japan. Okinawa gets hit with a a large number of Typhoons and as fate would have it one hit and stopped directly over the island. So stuck on my room I flipped through the channels and when I got to CNN I stopped, one of the Trade Centers Towers was on fire and people were speculating on what happened. Then the second Tower was hit. to say I was in shock would be an understatement. Maybe 5 minutes later the phone calls started, telling us that we were now in FPCON DELTA (yeah no kidding). Basically movement was restricted but since we were already inside because of the typhoon we were locked down twice.

The worst phone calls were from my family. I've never felt as helpless as I did that day. I'm from Philadelphia so needless to say people were scared to death there. No one knew what was going on or how extensive these attacks went. My mom called me crying and there was nothing I could do since I was on the other side of the world. She asked me why didn't the Air force stop the planes...I had no answer.

To make matters worse for us on Kadena our base commander made a General Order restricting all movement until nearly February of the next year. We couldn't leave our dorms unless you were on the way to work. Even bases in the US were out of FPCON Delta a few days later. If you were caught walking around without a valid reason you got in severe trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom