• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why is steam so great?

yamaci17

i feel like home with steam activity page. to be able to see the screenshots my friends share, the achivements they got, the games they play, the games they bought... its a great system. its the only platform on PC that is similar to PSN/Xbox Live where you can share stuff about the games you play

regional pricing is another winning factor. their gamepad implementation is good, though not good enough for me and i rather use ds4windows for my dualsense gamepad

btw it opens very fast for me and is usually snappy

nemiroff

Gold Member
It's supposed to just work, and to be flexible and reliable. And it is. The UI is fairly functional and has more worthwhile features than a desktop icon so-to-speak.

I don't know why you're saying it's slow. It's starts on Windows boot (unless you opt-out, but why would you) and is instantly ready whenever you click on it. And even from complete cold start it takes a total of 6 seconds including initiating a connection to Steam.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I've never liked Steam and I've been using it since the green UI days

I miss big PC boxes and downloading game files from websites worked fine
Not sure if serious but I'm sure developers also really enjoyed uploading new patches to said websites where you had to download them manually or otherwise be stuck with dated versions lol.

Gamershell.com, among others, was good for that sort of shit though haha.

VN1X

Banned
i feel like home with steam activity page. to be able to see the screenshots my friends share, the achivements they got, the games they play, the games they bought... its a great system. its the only platform on PC that is similar to PSN/Xbox Live where you can share stuff about the games you play

regional pricing is another winning factor. their gamepad implementation is good, though not good enough for me and i rather use ds4windows for my dualsense gamepad

btw it opens very fast for me and is usually snappy
Oh yeah completely forgot to mention that part. The activity page is like facebook-lite for gaming but without all the propaganda and fear mongering lol. It's really neat and nothing but positive vibes over there.

Sometimes I'll have someone randomly comment on a purchase or screenshot I've uploaded (perhaps not interacted with them in a while) and then you have a lil' chat and it makes your brain chemicals go brrr (forgive me for using such complicated scientific terms). I like it!

Last edited:

Graciaus

I like the UI. Simple is better. All I need it for is clicking play. They had an update and I hated it.

Their actual store is pretty bad at recommending me stuff I would like is my only complaint.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, I can't use my generic PC controller on other launchers without having to go through one or two wrapper apps... if I'm using the Switch Pro Controller I'll need literally two each time I want to use it

buenoblue

Yeah I have no real problem with steam apart from lack of customization. But some peoples devotion to it and the hatred of any other front end I do find puzzling and anoying.

I use gog galaxy 2.0 but it's not quite there yet for me. Playing 1440p or 1080p games on my 4k tv seems to confuse it and the font and scaling is never right after I exit a game.

Holammer

I honestly dont see the benefit of this vs the classical way of installing games on pc?

I try to be polite on GAF, but this thing? It stinks of low effort trolling.
What the fuck even is the "classical way" anyway? Have your games in big PC game boxes, grab one from the shelf when you want to play, insert the disc and install via its own installer and then type down the registrations code. Is that it? If so that's the stupidest shit I ever heard.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I'd also like to add the fact that the state of VR gaming on PC would be a disaster if not for SteamVR.
Expand that to all PC gaming. If Steam never came along, god knows what state PC gaming would be in today. Not only did it pave the way, it didn't force exclusives or any of that shit. They left the market open. If Microsoft or someone else got in, we'd all be playing shitty locked down UWF games in the Windows Store or some other bollocks.

When Steam does not just the game installation, but also the C++ redistributables and all of that boring nonsense for you, life is much easier. It takes nearly all of the mess away. A few greedy publishers pushing their own launchers doesn't take anything away from Steam.

Sophist

i remember the era before steam.

download and install gamespy/won/... update.
download and install game major update 1.3.exe
download and install game minor update 1.3 -> 1.4.1.exe
download and install game minor update 1.4.1 -> 1.5.exe
download and install punkbuster udapte.exe
repeat this every weak for every game

now i open steam and everything is download and installed automatically.

I agree, everything you mentioned are the same reasons I don't like steam. The UI/UX is worse than origin, uplay,etc and it's bloated and slow, the only reason it is popular is because they got started first in digital for pc games and sort of locked people in leaving no choice for customers to buy a lot of games elsewhere.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I mean... were you on the days before Steam? PC gaming was hell compared to consoles. Now is really straightforward bar a few exceptions.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I agree, everything you mentioned are the same reasons I don't like steam. The UI/UX is worse than origin, uplay,etc and it's bloated and slow, the only reason it is popular is because they got started first in digital for pc games and sort of locked people in leaving no choice for customers to buy a lot of games elsewhere.
This is literally false, even inside Steam ecosystem itself, since you can buy all your Steam library elsewhere for cheaper if you want to... Steam itself is the last storefront I visit for my purchases since I always find cheaper keys in Fanatical, Humble, etc.

I am probably out of my element here, but man its ugly as sin, always looks like a store front rather than my library of games.

Are you under the "store" tab? That's the actual store. Click on the "Library" tab and all your games (and only your games) are there. You can sort and group them however you like.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
For those who don't like what steam looks like, you can use a skin like Air for Steam.
Now the library updates and such have disabled most of the skin features, but it still looks calmer/cleaner than the default.
It also gives you more options in the settings menu directly:

hFkhlvW.jpg

Sentenza

Found the EGS stan.
Nah, he isn't.
But he's someone with a reputation of rabid Steam hater that borders the "living meme" tier and goes back more than a decade, in some circles we both frequented.

Most of it came from having a potato 56K analog line and hating ANYTHING digital, by the way.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It more than does the job and is very robust these days.

No issues which I can nitpick when it's the best out there with some growth in one or two of the competiting launchers.

ACESHIGH

Banned

Origin Uplay EGS and Gog are slow AF. I'd argue steam is the fastest of them all.

Sentenza

Origin Uplay EGS and Gog are slow AF. I'd argue steam is the fastest of them all.
it is, it doesn't even need to be an argument since it's a measurable factual statement. I remember posting a video months ago where I compared their startup time and Steam even after the recent redesign that according to some made it "heavier" was by far the quickest of the bunch.

This is almost two years old at this point, but things didn't get better for the competition.

The startup time, how smooth it is to navigate, the memory footprint are all parameters where Steam is better than the ones mentioned, and this while still dwarfing all of them combined in terms of integrated features and functionality.
And while this is more subjective, I'd argue also while having a far prettier (and more practical in terms of actual use) UI.
Spoiler: EGS was unsurprisingly complete trash tier under any metric I checked.

But you know what's up. A lot of the people commenting here that Steam is "ugly" maybe want to imply that the Playstation Store is better. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Laptop1991

I come from a time on PC before Steam so i wouldn't say it's great, but it's the easiest and hassle free of PC client's and rarely interferes with game play for me, some of the others can be a pain at times.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I am probably out of my element here, but man its ugly as sin, always looks like a store front rather than my library of games.

Its slow as shit to start.

You have to double load different storefront systems when you play certain games. Takes forever to start.

I honestly dont see the benefit of this vs the classical way of installing games on pc?

Ugly? Well, it's not particularly pretty, but can't say I've experienced it as slow. Got most of my games there, easy to manage, decent download speeds. Everything's just... easy.

Some time around when the blueprints for Stone Henge was made, I too hated clients. Now I can't even begin to think how I ever managed without them. It's like pre-cut oven paper, try living without it even for a week...

Wildebeest

It has the most games and people have friends lists which they don't want to leave behind. I think that GOG Galaxy has the better game library. It also has integrations to synch games from other launchers.

WitchHunter

Banned

Its slow as shit to start.

You have to double load different storefront systems when you play certain games. Takes forever to start.

It works. It's nothing fancy. They were the first, they enjoy their position.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Steam has always been fast for me, you might have a hardware issue.

It doesn't look outdated to me. What is a store you would like it to look more like?

As for the question in the OP: It just does everything you need. It's the standard platform of PC gaming, has web, and music functionalities, Steam overlay, cloud saves, communities, messaging. I can't think of anything it is missing.

Sentenza

It has the most games and people have friends lists which they don't want to leave behind. I think that GOG Galaxy has the better game library. It also has integrations to synch games from other launchers.
It really doesn't. It's slower, less organized, lacking sorting/filtering options (especially the dynamic ones that make the new Steam library so good to use).
Also, the latter (syncing with other launchers) is broken as hell and keeps nagging the user with constant request to re-log/resync... Not to mention that it still requires to run the other launchers in the end when you start playing, which make the whole "centralization" thing kinda pointless.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Achievements already looks more modern on EGS, and Steam big picture mode haven't changed much since it was introduced. Steam should definitely receive a modern overhaul, but it was updated a while back, and will probably not receive more UI updates for a long time.

Wildebeest

It really doesn't. It's slower, less organized, lacking sorting/filtering options (especially the dynamic ones that make the new Steam library so good to use).
Also, the latter (syncing with other launchers) is broken as hell and keeps nagging the user with constant request to re-log/resync... Not to mention that it still requires to run the other launchers in the end when you start playing, which make the whole "centralization" thing kinda pointless.

Maybe the Epic integration has occasional synch problems, but it doesn't nag in my experience. It might technically be slower to load everything, especially if you have multiple integrations, but it has better filters and bookmarkable tabs. In terms of actually launching games, if you know what you want, then just launch it however you want. You don't need the library to launch GOG games as they are DRM free...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It has a ton of features that.. well.. "just work".. for lack of a better term. It's great at managing game installs, has built in mod support, the best forums/reviews/etc. systems.

And you can set it to launch to your "library" so you don't launch to the store. Also the library screen is pretty customizable.. not sure what issue you even have with it?

Games requiring extra launchers is that game/publishers fault though not Steam.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Achievements already looks more modern on EGS, and Steam big picture mode haven't changed much since it was introduced. Steam should definitely receive a modern overhaul, but it was updated a while back, and will probably not receive more UI updates for a long time.

big picture mode is getting a redesign with the launch of the steamdeck, or so they say

Sentenza

I'm not sure if "more modern" is how I'd describe a giant ass pop-up taking one third of the available surface in the middle of the screen.

Kacho

It has the best catalogue, feature set and most of use have slowly accumulated games over the years so investing in other storefronts isn't appealing.

Larxia

I personally think it's one the best things about the client. I'm so tired of all the PC apps following Windows in adopting a "mobile-friendly interface". Opening Steam is like a breath of slightly less stale air, there's still some good old desktop UI elements and design principles in there.
I couldn't agree more, I hate that everything now have to have this mobile / minimalist design. Everytime a software changes for a design like this, it becomes less intuitive, less ergonomic, more tedious to use (which is funny because it's apparently supposed to do the opposite...), it also often removes features, options, customization and such.

Everytime someone mention that Steam design is too old, it makes me fear that one day we will sadly get a sad, poor mobile design for steam with much less features compared to today.

Last edited:

BWJinxing

Workshop is worth it's weight in gold. I don't have to visit some ad-malware,infested site.

Ive reinstalled cities skylines, steam re-downloaded all of the mods aviable.

No other PC storefront can save you time and anger steam can.

Saving 10$ dollars on a game platform vs convince and time saved on another, my time is worth more then counting pennies.

JyC

Neo Member
It's because of sales.

Come play Ark Survival Evolved the Halloween Event and Charity for Children's Hospital called New Life is starting back up soon! Come catch dinos with me. I'm on Steam version PC.

GHG

So your complaint about big picture mode (which works perfectly with any controller by the way) is that it hasn't evolved?

Let me ask you this then, what other storefront offers something similar?

P.S. it has evolved over time BTW, you just haven't been paying attention and there will be an update when Deck launches.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I spent a small fortune on Steam. It doesn't have to be great at this point, it just has to survive. I like the way it is though.

proandrad

Reasons why I like Steam

1. I had Steam first.
2. I am already heavily invested in steam with the size of my game library.

...and that's it.

Unless EPIC gives me every single game on my steam account, I will never really give them a shot.

Hinedorf

Banned
In the last 10 years the steam summer sales have been so insane a large group of people started amassing quite a catalog of games all within steam for pennies on the dollar, the long term success of this process has earned Steam the respect and loyalty it deserves. I can still queue up a game I bought 10 years ago.

Sleepwalker

I'm not a legacy user, rather new to pc gaming but even I found some old games from way back then on my account lol. I truly don't care too much about it because I have no friends on it or friends that play on pc period. But it's nice for what it does. It's cool to have a central hub for your games and to not have to chase them individually.

Top Bottom