• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite game(s) of all time, and what you think a successor should do to surpass it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No game is perfect, not even the best ones. It's easy to ask what your favorite game of all time is, but i think it's a more productive discussion to ask what another game/installment can do to be even better than that. What's your favorite game of all time, and what do you think another game should do to surpass it?

I'm pretty indecisive, so ONE of my favorite games of all time would be Cave Story. I think a way to surpass that game in its design is to adapt the gameplay to 3D while preserving the hectic and floaty gameplay as well as the iconic and amazing character design and art direction. Make the world more open and add an additional layer of exploration to make it feel more Metroidvania-like. Another would be Minecraft, I wish it adopted the massive weapon list, mechanics and enemies from Terraria to make the game not just a great creative sandbox but also an even better survival RPG.

Last edited:
So one of my favorite games of all time was Ultima Online in the years approximately 1998-2000.

As far as what a successor should do to surpass that game or even hope to come to the same level as that game, there are many things that I would consider personally.

I would like it also to be an MMORPG with an isometric viewpoint, a skill-based system in which skills have numerical values and increase from a minimum to a maximum as well as statistics as opposed to a level based mechanical system. I wouldn't be opposed to something in between UO and say Asheron's Call, that is to say without the leveling elements so instead have certain skills that have a minimum and maximum but you can raise them by using them or you get a general pool of experience to distribute back into your stats and skills.

One of the major things that destroyed that game for me was the segregation of the population into two different facets, so you had one in which only PVM or PVE was allowed you couldn't even use the stealing skill on player characters anymore and everything was lush and beautiful, and then you had the PVP side of things where you could freely attack characters and anyone as you should have always been able to do before they introduced Trammel which is the PVE sector. Keep in mind this is an identical duplicate copy of the world, in trammel the trees are alive and have leaves and in the PVP section of the world all of the trees are dead in the landscape looks like an apocalyptic hellscape basically. So obviously in a successor I would want to not have this segregated population, that was a lot of the magic of UO is that all of these different populations of people were integrated and working together or against each other at any given time.

You would have your average person going about fighting the environment or monsters or grouping up with a couple of people and then you might have some player Killers run by or just one of them and then in a natural response if this player killer kept harassing an area you might find a group of individuals looking to come back and fight this person and created dynamic conditions and situations as well as always had you on your toes when you entered an unknown environment or anywhere outside of town honestly because there were no safe zones in Ultima Online aside from towns and even those were not safe when you get down to it.

As far as plot and quests and things of that nature I'm not really concerned with them but I think some things could be done that would be fun, the sort of things we've seen on private servers and whatnot.

Obviously there would need to be more but this is just some fundamental from the hip thinking about one of my favorite games.

keraj37

Fallout 2, and Fallout 3 should have been isometric turn-base as well, but we got fps instead. Shame.

brian0057

Banned
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
Remove the remote goggle hacking (it's too OP) and make the maps even more labyrinthine.
Maybe add some Hitman style social stealth to some missions (not all) to change things up.
And make every single map ghostable without touching a single enemy.

Last edited:

swaffles23

So one of my favorite games of all time was Ultima Online in the years approximately 1998-2000.

As far as what a successor should do to surpass that game or even hope to come to the same level as that game, there are many things that I would consider personally.

I would like it also to be an MMORPG with an isometric viewpoint, a skill-based system in which skills have numerical values and increase from a minimum to a maximum as well as statistics as opposed to a level based mechanical system. I wouldn't be opposed to something in between UO and say Asheron's Call, that is to say without the leveling elements so instead have certain skills that have a minimum and maximum but you can raise them by using them or you get a general pool of experience to distribute back into your stats and skills.

One of the major things that destroyed that game for me was the segregation of the population into two different facets, so you had one in which only PVM or PVE was allowed you couldn't even use the stealing skill on player characters anymore and everything was lush and beautiful, and then you had the PVP side of things where you could freely attack characters and anyone as you should have always been able to do before they introduced Trammel which is the PVE sector. Keep in mind this is an identical duplicate copy of the world, in trammel the trees are alive and have leaves and in the PVP section of the world all of the trees are dead in the landscape looks like an apocalyptic hellscape basically. So obviously in a successor I would want to not have this segregated population, that was a lot of the magic of UO is that all of these different populations of people were integrated and working together or against each other at any given time.

You would have your average person going about fighting the environment or monsters or grouping up with a couple of people and then you might have some player Killers run by or just one of them and then in a natural response if this player killer kept harassing an area you might find a group of individuals looking to come back and fight this person and created dynamic conditions and situations as well as always had you on your toes when you entered an unknown environment or anywhere outside of town honestly because there were no safe zones in Ultima Online aside from towns and even those were not safe when you get down to it.

As far as plot and quests and things of that nature I'm not really concerned with them but I think some things could be done that would be fun, the sort of things we've seen on private servers and whatnot.

Obviously there would need to be more but this is just some fundamental from the hip thinking about one of my favorite games.
trammel came about because of people like me and murdering every player i came across in dungeons :messenger_grinning:

UO is easily my favorite online game of all time. i would be happy if they just brought back classic servers from that era.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Xenogears. It's episode 5 of a 6-part story. I just wish I can see the other 5 games.
I would love to see a Xenogears Episode IV. (with Krelian, Grahf, Lacan, Zephyr, Sofia, and Miang)

I believe episodes I-III were already covered in the Xenosaga games, but a final Episode VI would be neat, as well.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I would like to play a full remake of Chrono Trigger, which happens to be my favorite game ever.

But don't turn it into an Action RPG. Just make it look really nice with good animations. Keep the gameplay as it is. Maybe add a few things..

I would love to see a Xenogears Episode IV. (with Krelian, Grahf, Lacan, Zephyr, Sofia, and Miang)

I believe episodes I-III were already covered in the Xenosaga games, but a final Episode VI would be neat, as well.
They weren't.

Xenosaga is a total retcon/reweite. Go check out translations of the perfect works and you will see that it is nothing remotely like what the episodic content was supposed to be based on in terms of those three titles.

Edit: see it was addressed already.

Last edited:

WoJ

Mass Effect Trilogy. I am counting that as one game because you need all three to get the full experience. The only way it could be topped for me is if they added back cut content from ME3 like having to chose to save Liara or the Virmire Survivor and other things.

They also could take the key decisions from ME1 and 2 and used ME3 to create a series of branching stories and entire story arcs and mission paths that could only be unlocked and played in certain scenarios that played out in the first 2 games.

Like if you killed the Rachni Queen in ME1 it would unlock an entirely new story arc in ME3 that involved trying to stop Cerberus from cloning the Rachni and using them for their cause (or something like that). Furthermore you could have expanded these story arcs by having who survived the Suicide Mission impact the outcome. In the example above about the Rachni Queen, whether or not Miranda survives the SM and if she is loyal from ME2 would impact how the unlocked story arc played out, how easy (or possible) it was to get the "good" outcome that impacts the ending.

All these branching paths and narratives would open up several options at the end of the game such as a traditional victory (or defeat) of the Reapers, an ending that leads to finding what created the Great Rift in Klendagon as a tool to defeat the Reapers, an ending that involved boarding Harbinger to upload a virus that would ultimately defeat the Reaper Hive mind.

There are so many possibilities on what could have been done to make ME3 amazing. And I generally regard ME3 and all its DLC as superior to ME3, but it could have been even more.

GametimeUK

Dark Souls is my favourite game of all time.

I honestly don't think anything ever beats it. It was at a time in my life where I had a load of spare time to get really lost in a games world. The replay value is insane I can still play to this day and find something new. Going online and finding Twitch Streamers hosting fight clubs was a fun time whilst having banter in chat. Everything about that whole time in my life and how incredible that game was can not be topped.

It will take something special to take it down for sure.

Fbh

One of my favourite games is Chrono Trigger.
Currently it's impossible for a successor to surpass it because one of the main things it would need to replicate is having good pacing, not being afraid to be relatively short and not feeling like a bloated, stretched out experience that's like 30 hours longer than it should be, but modern JRPG makers are pretty much unable to make a game like that.

Aside from that it would need to match:
- God tier music
- Great art direction and character design
- A cast of fun and varied characters with no kids, lolis and annoying furry mascots
- A fun and varied world that goes beyond just generic medieval fantasy

And it would need to improve on:
- Maybe a slightly better main narrative
- Combat that retains the focus on combination attacks but offers more strategic depth and challenge
- More interesting level design and/or traversal options.

Roberts

Grounded is one of my favourite games. Absolute classic that has just about the best open world ever created in a game - basically, near perfect, but if they ever make a sequel or expand the first one, I would like them to work a bit on platforming bits - right now some caves and other hidden spots require you to do some platforming and it can be a bit frustrating experience thanks to some imprecise controls. Also, fix clipping or whatever it is called - when me and my friend fight bigger bugs, one of us fights from behind and you always clip through the shell and that is a bit immersion breaking.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
One of my favourite games is Chrono Trigger.
Currently it's impossible for a successor to surpass it because one of the main things it would need to replicate is having good pacing, not being afraid to be relatively short and not feeling like a bloated, stretched out experience that's like 30 hours longer than it should be, but modern JRPG makers are pretty much unable to make a game like that.

Aside from that it would need to match:
- God tier music
- Great art direction and character design
- A cast of fun and varied characters with no kids, lolis and annoying furry mascots
- A fun and varied world that goes beyond just generic medieval fantasy

And it would need to improve on:
- Maybe a slightly better main narrative
- Combat that retains the focus on combination attacks but offers more strategic depth and challenge
- More interesting level design and/or traversal options.
so, Sea of Stars then?

Or Chained Echoes, we got fucking 2 Chrono Trigger inspired games in the past 2 years alone. I hope to see more of em

RAIDEN1

Full throttle. Mass Effect, for one of them we'll be lucky to EVER get a spin off, for the other well the only way is up after the debacle of Mass Effect Andromeda....if the next installment is as good as Mass Effect 1 or 3, I'd be happy with that...I doubt part 2 could be overtaken

Fbh

so, Sea of Stars then?

Or Chained Echoes, we got fucking 2 Chrono Trigger inspired games in the past 2 years alone. I hope to see more of em

Sea of stars was a decent attempt, though IMO it was held back by a rather boring story with boring characters, and combat system that failed to remain interesting due to a lack of new skills (your characters only learn like 2 new skills during the whole game).
Chained Echoes was awesome, it was easily my favourite JRPG(style) game in years

Either way what has become clear to me over the last year is that if we ever get a Chrono Trigger successor it's probably going to come from a western dev

stn

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
And make every single map ghostable without touching a single enemy.
Wasn't this possible apart from, I think, the last mission? 'Been a long time since I beat the game but I remember doing a full stealth run.

killatopak

Just a proper RE3 remake.

As big as RE4 in size collectively however with branching paths, it should come close to RE2 in length. The city should feel as big after switching over from fixed camera angles. The 2020 remake felt like 5 streets overall. Like what?

Like you can completely miss a section of the city if you took another option during a live selection.

Remember how in OG RE4 after the cabin sequence you can choose whether to go through the Bella sisters on the left or an El Gigante on the right? That’s what I want except in more instances that directly affects item placements, enemy encounter and future events.

Notable choices from the OG RE3
- Fight nemesis/run to Brad’s body to get his keycard OR escape into the RPD and find another officer‘s card in the conference room.

- Jump out the train or hit the breaks. Changes the starting location of the Clocktower map. Jump out and Carlos won’t help you in the Nemesis fight until you’re incapacitated. Stay with him and hit the breaks and he’ll destroy Nemesis’ rocket launcher for you during the fight.

- Restaurant or Press office. You can also escape during both sequences and still be chased down by Nemesis. However both opportunities present you with the ability to fight alongside Carlos. Lots of random elements including zombies getting in the way in case of a fight and chase sequence with each location offering a different problem because key items change location. Even doors where you left the encounter provide different story flavor in which Jill realizes Carlos’ connection with Umbrella. Nicholai’s encounter will also change.

- Gas station. Same as the previous one except it’s more story based difference.

- Substation. Choose between a mass of zombies or an encounter with Nemesis.

-Use an environmental hazard like a barrel near the train and Mikhail’s scene will alter whether it was used by you or not.

-Earthquake in the parking lot. Climb up and carry on or Jump down and get a preview of your battle with the Gravedigger.

-Clocktower light or electricity. The least impactful. Only really useful if you’re actively hunting Nemesis item drops.

- Carlos Clocktower. Killing Nemesis or ignoring him to straight to Jill will provide different scenes. Take too long and Nemesis will ignore you and go straight for Jill and kill her.

- Push Nemesis or Jump down. Probably the second most impactful choice. Push Nemesis will allow Nemesis to encounter Nicholai and kill him. Making Jill and Carlos free to take the helicopter at the Dead Factory. Jump down and Nicholai will take the chopper for himself and someone has to go save both Jill and Carlos before the nukes blow them up. Who shows up? Barry Motherfucking Burton.

- Destroy Nicholai’s chopper or let him go. If you want to meet Barry, you’re petty and you hate Nicholai for betraying you so you want to deal with him yourself.

The most important one. Shoot Nemesis. Run away like a bitch or be indecisive and allow Nemesis to sucker punch or GIVE HIM STARS.

Like where were all these in the remake?

brian0057

Banned
Wasn't this possible apart from, I think, the last mission? 'Been a long time since I beat the game but I remember doing a full stealth run.
The Bathhouse level is a pain in the ass to go through as soon as the firefight starts. If you're not knocking (or killing) soldiers at that point, it grinds the pacing of the level to a halt.
The Seoul level is somewhat inconsistent. You could be in pitch blackness and some dude fighting another dude one shots you. I hate it.

Trying to ghost those levels is an exercise in frustration. It's not "fun" hard, it's "I hate this so fucking much" hard.

Banjo64

cumsessed
B-K

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

jcorb

The *original* Phantasy Star Online is one of my favorite games of all time. PSO2 and New Genesis just feel very "flimsy", and *way* too much "anime bullshit" going on. The original PSO had a really cool, industrial/bladerunner kind of aesthetic, and it really did a lot to offset the more "anime" character designs. It all meshed together beautifully.

Also, the combat is certainly dated, but it had a much more thoughtful, tactical sort of quality. PSO2 and NGS just feel very "just spam buttons as fast as you can", imo. And also, items feel totally meaningless, whereas original PSO, finding a rare item truly feels like it's a *rare* item.

I've been playing the original PSO on Ephinea, but I would still be all about a remaster of the game, ideally on Switch. I feel like it would be right at home, maybe a proper Story mode (following Ash and all the other default/template characters), maybe some alternate costumes to unlock for each class. Oh, and the ability to have one of each class on the same account would be great!

Aion002

I think that Elden Ring is my favorite game so far.

I would like that in a sequel they would make better optional dungeons, added even more different play style options, with more builds and gameplay mechanics that adds variety to the gameplay from slower paced to faster paced builds (like imagine being able to play with Bloodborne movements or even some Sekiro capabilities), more end game content on pvp (more options to the arenas, imagine 2 teams fighting each other with a boss on the field attacking both sides) and on pve (a improved chalice mode from Bloodborne could be awesome or even a gauntlet type from Sekiro could be extremely entertaining).

Overall Elden Ring is almost perfect for me and I just want more.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'd take Rolo to the Rescue: Remastered

The sequel just needs to be the same shit with different animals.

Also it is a bit of a shit circus when you think of the animals the circus has under lock and key.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I would say Bioshock is my favourite game. It seems pretty dated now having played it again at the start of this year but Its themes, atmosphere and story-telling through the audio diaries is so haunting and atmospheric. I’m in day one for Judas, can’t wait.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
what's so dated about it? what would you like a sort of modern remake/remaster of it to address?
It still looks fantastic, don’t get me wrong. Still runs at 60fps on the remaster etc. I guess I’m being pedantic, I still think it looks really good but can imagine it looking even better with a fresh coat of paint if that makes sense?

Some of the effects when you’re looking out at the rest of the city through the water don’t hold up too well, but that’s unfair as I’m comparing it to modern day graphics now, but again these are all small nitpicks. The game is 16 years old now so it’s just showing it’s age slightly, damn I’m old. I still absolutely adore it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
so, Sea of Stars then?

Even suggesting Sea of Stars belongs in the same discussion as Chrono Trigger is insulting. Insinuating it comes close to CT, let alone tops it, is insanity. If it had less pretty graphics people wouldn’t dream of suggesting comparisons. It’s too amateurish on too many levels.

Chained Echoes is an interesting game with unbalanced difficulty. Narratively it simply isn’t as inspired or accomplished as CT.

Chrono Trigger is a miracle of a game and not even Japan managed to put out another like it.

I don’t really have one favorite game of all time, but off the top of my head it’d be interesting to see the TOTK template with a series of dungeons that each give you a one-off extra power that completely changes the rules of the game for the duration of the dungeon and is lost when you return to the overworld.

kunonabi

My favorite of all time is Revelations: Persona and at this point I'm not sure anything can surpass it. Objectively P2:EP is a much better game, and probably the best RPG ever made as far as I'm concerned, and I love it dearly as well but in terms of story, atmosphere, and the perfect time in which I played it gives it the first Persona an edge I don't think any other game can match. It was such a breath of fresh air considering western rpgs were mostly fantasy stuff so making this demon based game with modern day teens in a city was a revelation no pun intended. My group of friends were all into it so it was constant point of discussion.

Honestly, unless they made a remake without butchering the music, included the same localization, added the snow queen quest back in, and fixed up some of the issues with the combat system I think it's sitting at number 1 until I die.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Vanilla WoW, and there's a private server team hard at work about to release the best Vanilla+ the world's seen next year.

⌛

Edmund

Street Fighter 6 is my favourite game of all time and I really don't know what capcom is gonna do in Street Fighter 7 to top that.

I've also got high hopes for Tekken 8.

Paltheos

Valkyrie Profile would be my go-to answer, but it's been a long time. Not really sure anymore.

If it was, I'd say my answer would definitely be 'not'. It's a game that didn't need a sequel by design and what we got, while still a good game, is definitely not as inspired.

Chrono Trigger is a miracle of a game and not even Japan managed to put out another like it.

I'm a big fan of Radiant Historia. It trades in the high adventure theme for a mystery/intrigue plot in its time travel story. Stocke (the lead) is a smart dude, and Shimomura's classy sound work complements the setting like Mitsuda's fun and varied OST does for Chrono Trigger. Battle system is also fairly distinct, in a good way, like Chrono Trigger's. I personally like the game more but I don't think that's a popular opinion - or maybe it's just not as omnipresent as Chrono Trigger is in the genre space so discussion doesn't come up as much.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Majoras mask was a big game for Nintendo they would obviously love the atmosphere again from it, I think we saw some of that in twilight princess but they have to let Zelda find some character again.

Bloodborne with the same treatment given to Nioh: Remastered.
Console + PC, upscaled visuals, 60-120fps options, and QoL improvements like bonfire features at the hunter's lamps.

Wouldn't mind a remake by Bluepoint either as Demon's Souls (2020) rocks, but I think I would prefer a straightforward remaster + PC port.

Top Bottom