• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers - "In my hands I hold the ones I love", but not so much

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I played Frontiers as soon as it came out, but only the first zone, and had a lot of fun with it. Just finished now annnnnnd I didn't love as much it started.

Let me explain: the game starts pretty solid. Your map is considered an "open zone", with a big space and a lot of stuff to do. You can collect engines to unlock the "stages", and those stages are more close to past Sonic games, so it's a welcome add. After finishing those stages, you get keys that unlock the emeralds. Every zone also has a buddy (Amy, Knuckles, Tails...), and you collect some exclusive item tie-in to help progress the story with them, you can collect other shit to upgrade Sonic and fishing stuff

On the surface it is a great game. So much to explore and freedom, then A FUCKING TITAN COMES and you need to be Super Sonic to fight it. The fight is pretty intense, with a great epic song, and if you do everything right is amazing. The problem is if you take those things off, the game basically sucks. You need a ton of those buddy items to just have the normal progression. You get XP to get more moves to fight by doing air tricks or collecting some shards, and you upgrade in the menu. There's an item to get better attack, an item to get better defense, but you need to go to a guy to have those upgrades. There's eggs that you collect to increase your ring capacity or the speed, but then you need to go to another guy to have this upgrade. What the fuck, Sega?!

Also, the difficulty spike is really weird. You're super cool, running around (I could say "at the speed of sound", but birds can fly the same speed as Sonic, so...), fight some mini boss here and there, then comes another random mini boss and fucks with you. Not really hard, but a chore to do some hits. There's a obligatory pinball game, and it sucks because need a shit ton of points to pass it. Some obligatory hack minigames that is kinda like the NieR Automata one mixed with [fucking] Ikaruga, but way more boring. Those are not really hard, but they increased the time to beat it just to look it's hard. I call it bullshit

And since all the real bosses are huge titans, the final boss should be the fuckest, right? Well, it's not.

So yeah, it's a very experimental game with great ideas, and a not so great execution of a lot of those ideas. And it's fair to say that I'm Here - Merry Kirk-Holmes is the new Live and Learn - which shows their poor direction since they should kept only at the final boss music, not the first and last boss music.

Sonic boom me because I take this long
Shock Waves Loop GIF by Xbox

Saber

Gold Member
This game aways was a test. A prototype of sorts to the whole "Sonic game in the open world". Thats about it. The idea itself is not bad(I could see an open world using Generations visuals and common places, like Green Hill), but this game is pratically some kind of beta. Just for Sega to be happy with a selling number from a well know multiplataform game tells me they didn't spend much making it.

Skill Up put a great review about this game.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I liked it but, like you, I took forever and only beat it 5-6 weeks ago. Despite that I still rushed through it.

It has a solid foundation if you ask me and was better than Colors/Generations.

Top Bottom