• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did i just screw up my Legend of Dragoon playthrough? (some spoilers ahead)

So i've been enjoying the game a lot. I used to play the demo that came out on the Official Playstation magazine back in the day but never bought the game.
Since i have PS Plus Premium i thought i owed this to my 12 year old self...and i'm liking the game, characters (except that useless Shana girl, wtf), lore, world, story, etc

Anyway...here i am at the Forbidden Land (Disc 3)...i was prepared with some potions and stuff to heal since i was about to get the Dragon Block Staff and even though the game doesn't tell you you're about to fight the toughest fight so far, i knew it wouldn't be that easy. What happened was...i found an optional boss before that and defeated it...and saved there. And then i kept playing the game until an unexpected boss showed up right when i'm about to get the Staff. I tried to fight it but was basically killed in a few minutes. I also realized i couldn't transform cause the boss would not like that one bit...and if all this isn't enough the boss downgrades your character levels.

First thing to kill me in the game so far.

So i thought "let me backtrack, leave and buy some healing items"...well...it turns out...you can't. I have like 6 potions to heal single characters and one that heals them all completely. The boss does over 1000 HP of damage with no issues meaning you spend them all quite fast.

Did i just fuck this up? I have other manual saves but they were from like 10 hours ago...and i don't feel like replaying all of that again. Any suggestions?

Sad Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

Can’t comment on backtracking, but abuse the in-game rewind on PS5 to erase turns when enemies do large damage. You can re-roll attacks that way.
That i know it's possible but it's still a lot. Gonna try it though. Thanks (i already do that when i fail the most powerful physical attacks lmao)

The only other tactic I can recommend is to use defend to recover HP. It restores…10%?…of your character’s max HP and reduces all incoming damage by 50%.

Try and use Kongol as your main healer, let the other two do damage. And scum rewind as much as possible to avoid Game Overs.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
So i've been enjoying the game a lot. I used to play the demo that came out on the Official Playstation magazine back in the day but never bought the game.
Since i have PS Plus Premium i thought i owed this to my 12 year old self...and i'm liking the game, characters (except that useless Shana girl, wtf), lore, world, story, etc

Anyway...here i am at the Forbidden Land (Disc 3)...i was prepared with some potions and stuff to heal since i was about to get the Dragon Block Staff and even though the game doesn't tell you you're about to fight the toughest fight so far, i knew it wouldn't be that easy. What happened was...i found an optional boss before that and defeated it...and saved there. And then i kept playing the game until an unexpected boss showed up right when i'm about to get the Staff. I tried to fight it but was basically killed in a few minutes. I also realized i couldn't transform cause the boss would not like that one bit...and if all this isn't enough the boss downgrades your character levels.

First thing to kill me in the game so far.

So i thought "let me backtrack, leave and buy some healing items"...well...it turns out...you can't. I have like 6 potions to heal single characters and one that heals them all completely. The boss does over 1000 HP of damage with no issues meaning you spend them all quite fast.

Did i just fuck this up? I have other manual saves but they were from like 10 hours ago...and i don't feel like replaying all of that again. Any suggestions?
Did any of the suggestions work? I did this 3/4 into Suikoden 4 years ago.

Did any of the suggestions work? I did this 3/4 into Suikoden 4 years ago.
Used the rewind feature quite a lot everytime i couldn't do the QTE on physical attacks. I also did something i read online...the boss kept having its defenses up every time i transformed into dragoons...so i emptied everyone's bars to just 1, so i can only attack once as a dragoon and then they go back to normal. That way i wouldn't even allow the boss to cast any defensive crap. Since he only did magic attacks, and had huge magic defense stats i had characters that did mostly physical damage (his weakness) and had lots of HP. I chose Dart (obviously), Kongol and Albert.

Then my strategy was: Albert as a dragoon would cast his protection spell for 3 shifts. The magic attacks from the boss did less than half the damage, Kongol was a beast at attacking and Dart kept doing some damage either as a dragoon everytime a bar was filled or as a regular character until the dragoon bar was filled. Albert kept casting his protection spell everytime one bar was full and i kept doing this until the end of the fight. I also equiped every single piece of armor that had Magic Defense and that was it.

I actually beat the guy without spending all my healing items, lmao.

Going for the Diving Dragon's ass next, this time full of healing items. Loving this game btw.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Used the rewind feature quite a lot everytime i couldn't do the QTE on physical attacks. I also did something i read online...the boss kept having its defenses up every time i transformed into dragoons...so i emptied everyone's bars to just 1, so i can only attack once as a dragoon and then they go back to normal. That way i wouldn't even allow the boss to cast any defensive crap. Since he only did magic attacks, and had huge magic defense stats i had characters that did mostly physical damage (his weakness) and had lots of HP. I chose Dart (obviously), Kongol and Albert.

Then my strategy was: Albert as a dragoon would cast his protection spell for 3 shifts. The magic attacks from the boss did less than half the damage, Kongol was a beast at attacking and Dart kept doing some damage either as a dragoon everytime a bar was filled or as a regular character until the dragoon bar was filled. Albert kept casting his protection spell everytime one bar was full and i kept doing this until the end of the fight. I also equiped every single piece of armor that had Magic Defense and that was it.

I actually beat the guy without spending all my healing items, lmao.

Going for the Diving Dragon's ass next, this time full of healing items. Loving this game btw.
You did better than I. The rewind feature I don't recall, did you play on a PS1 or emu? Sounds like you played the original hard copy because you mentioned disc 3 in OP. Anyway, that'd be LoD to have that feature...which I've forgotten as it's been nearly 9-years since I last played.

Impressive though that you managed to beat Kongol and have healing items to spare. No secret but I'd always stall before boss fights (when/if possible), try to get everyone at least 3 levels above where they need to be but (back in the day) I never kept enough items for the healers. I'd usually finish with less-than a handful of healing items with any given mid-level boss or above. I have improved but last JRPG I played was Harvestella and Trials of Mana (remake) just before that; same deal. With what I know now, I should just go back to Legend of Dragoon and take a stab at it. Thanks for sharing this OP! Never too late to pick up an oldie but a goodie like LoD.

You did better than I. The rewind feature I don't recall, did you play on a PS1 or emu? Sounds like you played the original hard copy because you mentioned disc 3 in OP. Anyway, that'd be LoD to have that feature...which I've forgotten as it's been nearly 9-years since I last played.

Impressive though that you managed to beat Kongol and have healing items to spare. No secret but I'd always stall before boss fights (when/if possible), try to get everyone at least 3 levels above where they need to be but (back in the day) I never kept enough items for the healers. I'd usually finish with less-than a handful of healing items with any given mid-level boss or above. I have improved but last JRPG I played was Harvestella and Trials of Mana (remake) just before that; same deal. With what I know now, I should just go back to Legend of Dragoon and take a stab at it. Thanks for sharing this OP! Never too late to pick up an oldie but a goodie like LoD.
I didn't beat Kongol. I was beating this asshole:

Grand_Jewel.jpg

Grand Jewel i think was the name.

I played the game on PS Plus Premium. The one thing PS Plus Premium has given me so far, lmao.

I have no healers. From what i can tell Shana is the only one and she was not with me for this.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I didn't beat Kongol. I was beating this asshole:

Grand_Jewel.jpg

Grand Jewel i think was the name.

I played the game on PS Plus Premium. The one thing PS Plus Premium has given me so far, lmao.

I have no healers. From what i can tell Shana is the only one and she was not with me for this.
Wow, may have to check out Plus Premium myself. That'd be faster than traveling back the States for my PS1 and LoD = P

There should be walkthroughs for these retro JRPGs in Communities. If I recall I made it about 3/4 through my last play but didn't beat LoD.

I also did something i read online...the boss kept having its defenses up every time i transformed into dragoons...so i emptied everyone's bars to just 1, so i can only attack once as a dragoon and then they go back to normal. That way i wouldn't even allow the boss to cast any defensive crap.

This was pretty much my solution for any of the bosses in the game that have anti-dragoon attacks....there's another one like that later on.

The Grand Jewel is a total asshole, and an overall bullshit fight. It's all RNG depending on how many times it reduces your level. Like others said, get your dragoon level to 1 and then dump it immediately. Use your strongest additions, don't worry about SP in the fight. Albert's Rose Storm is the most helpful thing.

This was pretty much my solution for any of the bosses in the game that have anti-dragoon attacks....there's another one like that later on.
Oh great…another one like this lmao
The Grand Jewel is a total asshole, and an overall bullshit fight. It's all RNG depending on how many times it reduces your level. Like others said, get your dragoon level to 1 and then dump it immediately. Use your strongest additions, don't worry about SP in the fight. Albert's Rose Storm is the most helpful thing.
Yup. That was my life saver!

Top Bottom