• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Frontiers Sells Over 3 Million Copies Worldwide

Unknown?

Nice! With the new content coming and eventually lower price, it should handily get up there with Heroes.

Incredibly horrible disastrous sales crash.

The sales have completely collapsed, it sold 2.5 million in one month, we are now 4 months after that. Like most Sonic games heavily frontloaded but this one one of the biggest frontloads out there which had people wondering if it could sell 4 or 5 million or possibly be in the top 2. People who were sucked into the hype and fans have already brought the game.

End of January the series was at 2.9 million.

The game has also already been discounted multiple times. Watch PS Plus or Game Pass be the next destination in a few months. The game will end with good sales but it will almost all be because of what they did leading up to November.

The amount of discussion surrounding the game is also notably less than Forces, which did much worse by a very wide margin so that tells you that there's definitely an engagement issue here for many of the non-fan users who got the game.

However, the sales diving isn't new, that's been happening to Sonic games after the launch window for several entries now, just this one is crashing a lot harder than usual which will have an impact long term.

It is however still going to be one of the best selling games in the series and a sales success, for a Sonic game, just based on what that frontloaded November did for the game.

Last edited:
Nice! With the new content coming and eventually lower price, it should handily get up there with Heroes.

That's not necessarily impressive since nearly all of Frontiers sales were frontloaded in November, based off of hype that was only possible due to a history of poor preceding releases and some "promises" about the game that may have been slightly misleading when the game released. But many people picked up the game early, but that didn't continue like other Sonic games like Heroes or Generations.

Sonic Heroes had a decent launched then sold more and picked up over time. While the November sales gives Frontiers less work to outsell it long term which I believe it will if it hasn't already (I find Sega's switch from detailed decimals to removing them slightly suspicious), we won't see it outsell it by much because those legs are going to be cut off. The engagement isn't there, and the sales rate isn't stabilizing, sales are dropping very hard which was expected at the 2.9 million announcement, but now with this announcement it's pretty clear this game won't be having decent sales month to month worldwide over the next year, let alone the next 2 or 3.

The thing they will need to do with the sequel is fix that problem. Have more polish, make sure promises aren't too ambitious, and possibly you have another Sonic 2 in sales. Maybe.

Saber

Gold Member
Multiplataform sales I guess...
But if this is enought for a sequel or extension I wonder how much they spent making this game. Judging by its quality, I guess not much at all.

I'm part of that 3 million. Got it for $10 at gamefly last week.

That said I'm enjoying the game. The last sonic game I've enjoyed and played with was Sonic Adventure 2.

Kev Kev

I'm looking forward to giving this a go one day. Sounds like a Sonic game we could and should have had a long time ago.

Top Bottom