• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY contacted PSX Bunlith regarding Bloodborne Kart, needs to "scrub the branding off" of the project (which will still release)

Draugoth

Gold Member

This project was previously scheduled to be released on January 31, 2024, but unforeseen circumstances caused it to be postponed. Sony has apparently contacted the developers.

Although it's a free project, Sony has asked for the Bloodborne brand to be removed from it. This means that the project was delayed so that the creators could remove any mention of the company's IP.

The game will still be released, but the developer claims that it will take a little longer and will be "a little different" after the contents of Bloodborne are removed. There is still no new release date for the project, but the developer promises to announce it soon.

WHELP. IT HAPPENED
Sony contacted me
Long story short I need to scrub the branding off of what was previously known as Bloodborne Kart, which we will do. But that requires a short delay.
Don't worry, the game is still coming out! It'll just look slightly different

Like I've said in multiple interviews, we were all expecting this to happen so we could be pleasantly surprised if it didn't
It happened, so we're shifting gears (ha) to take care of it. I'll get back to y'all ASAP when we figured out a new release date!!

As much as I pushed for this to be "the meme made real" so to speak, turning this into an original game that we have full creative control over is kind of exciting. This is a fan game no more!
Regardless, thanks for understanding everyone!!

I understand why Sony did this, but it would've been a lot cooler if they didn't.

Legal matters aside, it's sad how out of touch most entertainment companies are. And then they wonder why games like Palworld succeed while they blow their umpteenth attempt at GaaS.

bender

What time is it?
OK, but Bloodborne PC when?
alfred-never.gif

MiguelItUp

I understand why Sony did this, but it would've been a lot cooler if they didn't.
Yeah, it's clearly not an official product, haha. Would've been cool if they contacted them much earlier before they put all the work in. But much like they said, I'm sure they were always looking over their shoulder for it.

Griffon

I don't understand what the devs were thinking. Using the Bloodborne name and named characters and selling the product is going way too far. Sony could've sued them back to the stone age.

Lovecraftian-gothic Kart with different names and derivative character designs would've been fine and not nearly as risky. They're lucky Sony simply told them that.

MagnesD3

I don't understand what the devs were thinking. Using the Bloodborne name and named characters and selling the product is going way too far. Sony could've sued them back to the stone age.

Lovecraftian-gothic Kart with different names and derivative character designs would've been fine and not nearly as risky. They're lucky Sony simply told them that.
It was free, they have worked on it a few years now. Sony are pieces of shit in this scenario, if it were that important than they would have done it to his Bloodbourne demake game. They only did it because people were excited and if they were gonna do it it should have been long ago before they put so much work in.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Nintendo would not have been so gracious as this, I think.
neither would the responses. Everytime a thread pops up on nintendo being nintendo its always “fuck you nintendo, stop over-protrcting your IP’s!”
But going through this thread i suppose i shouldnt be surprised that half of it is “its ok because sony is just protecting their brand”

And if it were microsoft, well yeah, the thread would need to be nuked from orbit from the level toxicity

Last edited:

RyRy93

neither would the responses. Everytime a thread pops up on nintendo being nintendo its always “fuck you nintendo, stop over-protrcting your IP’s!”
But going through this thread i suppose i shouldnt be surprised that half of it is “its ok because sony is just protecting their brand”

And if it were microsoft, well yeah, the thread would need to be nuked from orbit from the level toxicity
Nintendo wouldn’t just say change some of your assets though would they? That’s why everyone says fuck Nintendo

MagnesD3

Yeah the amount of people who think corporations are thier friends is crazy.

Ribi

Idk seems like this project was made nefariously. Either way I contacted Sony to get their statement on the game and made a few Twitter posts about the blatant copyright infringements made by the developer. I'm gnna go pat myself on the back now.

Can't they call it souls kart and make parody characters then

Last edited:

Dzab

While it's a lame move, I get it to an extent, the only reason this is a "popular" thing is because it's based on Bloodborne. No one would care if it was another kart game, or just a mod or even a parody. I still think Sony could have worked with him to get this out and let people have a small fun thing.

However, it's a big difference from Nintendo striking down simple mods, projects, or tournaments for 20 year old games they no longer support or have a way of playing. Or deleting music from YouTube that you can't hear anywhere else or even buy. This is why people have an issue with the way Nintendo operates

That being said, just port Bloodborne already and make it 60fps please

Codes 208

Yeah the amount of people who think corporations are thier friends is crazy.
Thats why fanboys being so overly defensive/offensive regarding their singular plastic box annoys me. All of these companies just want your money so why is it ok when one company does a bad thing but not another?
Bloodborne...kart?
yeah, the guy who made the ps1 demake of bloodborne was experimenting on making a mario kart 64 version of bloodborne, it actually looked entertaining.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Nintendo wouldn’t just say change some of your assets though would they? That’s why everyone says fuck Nintendo
If Nintendo gives a cease and desist, what could legally allow them to nuke it further after its been changed? The problem with many of the cease and desist things weve heard regarding Nintendo games is that they have been not much more than fan-made remakes or spinoffs like zelda in unreal or pokemon fusions.

Theres nothing to stop you from continuing to creating the idea under a new ip, but so many of these have been so integral as fan-projects that it’d be easier to ditch the whole thing altogether.

The only thing different here is the semantics. Sony said what Nintendont but in either case its fair use if the ip changes

Take croc for example, that was originally going to be a 3d yoshi platformer but Nintendo rejected it in mid-production so the devs changed around the characters and it ended up being made regardless

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Sucks but they have to do it. You are required to protect your ip. Clearly they are planning to use it again…

I would post a gif with laughing people but I can’t post gifs. Why? It’s all greyed out

reinking

Gold Member
If Nintendo gives a cease and desist, what could legally allow them to nuke it further after its been changed? The problem with many of the cease and desist things weve heard regarding Nintendo games is that they have been not much more than fan-made remakes or spinoffs like zelda in unreal or pokemon fusions.

Theres nothing to stop you from continuing to creating the idea under a new ip, but so many of these have been so integral as fan-projects that it’d be easier to ditch the whole thing altogether.

The only thing different here is the semantics. Sony said what Nintendont but in either case its fair use if the ip changes

Take croc for example, that was originally going to be a 3d yoshi platformer but Nintendo rejected it in mid-production so the devs changed around the characters and it ended up being made regardless
Isn't this exactly what is happening here? Sony told them they can't use their IP so it is being changed to remove references to that IP?

Gojiira

It was free, they have worked on it a few years now. Sony are pieces of shit in this scenario, if it were that important than they would have done it to his Bloodbourne demake game. They only did it because people were excited and if they were gonna do it it should have been long ago before they put so much work in.
Really? Hyperbole much? If it were any other company it would have been a DMCA or lawsuit. At least Sony ONLY told them to remove branding…

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
this is just confirmation that Sony is working on their own Bloodborne Kart.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why for once, can't it be "the company loves your project and will help you publish it and finance the rest of development".
Only valve does that

K2D

Banned
Can't go around cramping Sony's style like that - people are gonna hear about them having Bloodborne 60 fps patch behind lock and key..!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Why for once, can't it be "the company loves your project and will help you publish it and finance the rest of development".
Only valve does that

Because Valve is the only benevolent force in gaming that is also a large billion dollar corporation.

FeralEcho

I mean I understand why they did it but it's like.... You're doing fuck all with the IP anyway,letting this incredible series rot while your devs slave away on the next "great" gaas project with diverse characters built for "modern audiences".

At least do a remaster of Bloodborne with 4k res and 60 fps you cowards...

fart town usa

Gold Member
I get why people make these games based on owned IPs but at the same it's like, if you're capable of making a polished/impressive indie title, just make it your own and get it out there. There's nothing wrong with clone style games.

Always seemed kind of silly to put yourself in a potential cease and desist situation when it's easily avoidable.

K2D

Banned
I get why people make these games based on owned IPs but at the same it's like, if you're capable of making a polished/impressive indie title, just make it your own and get it out there. There's nothing wrong with clone style games.

Always seemed kind of silly to put yourself in a potential cease and desist situation when it's easily avoidable.
Because the IP is the sole reason they make the game.

Even if Sony nukes it from orbit. Don't know why they would though.. Makes them seem really petty.

april6e

Why do we have to go through this every time somebody makes a fan made game? You cannot sell a product based on an IP you didn't create without permission. Or in the case of a free game, you also can't just release a video game with branding that doesn't belong to you and then get mad when the original IP holder decides they don't want you making it.

People seem to perfectly understand this concept when it comes to artwork or a novel but then act like Sony is a villain for deciding only they want to release products based around Bloodborne.

Last edited:
Top Bottom