• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Gamescom 2014 press conference confirmed for August 12

My favourites:

1. Rime
2. Bloodborne
3. Tearaway
4. Order 1886
5. Hellblade

Still going through everything that has been announced.

Great conference though disappointed about there being no SCEJ game. Guessing they where referring to Bloodborne?

kick51

Banned
Are some of you really just this dead inside? What did you ever see in gaming in the first place?

fun interactive things, which they still are. I'm sorry I started to notice the themes in indie development/marketing and that it doesn't seem like wacky spontaneous stuff anymore?

edit: I guess this means I shouldn't break down those media molecule folks they had on stage today. though I'm not sure I could type about them without feeling sick.

What a great showing by Sony...It will make a lot of newcomers to buy a PS4. So many new and diverse games. They clearly won this by a mile and so much better than their E3.

theDeeDubs

starting to feel like all the indie demographic research is producing eye-rolling crap that's just as bad as Dew/Doritos being aimed at Call of Duty bros.

The "experimental" faux-emotional electronic music, stylized graphics, lost little girls/boys interacting with psychedelic environments, vaguely worded stories that have no substance....it just drives home that video games don't really bring anything new to the world, they just leech off of marketable cultures and put them into interactive little packages. Sad, really.

it's all starting to get recursive, but "indie" seems like a stop gap before the VR revolution marketing push anyway.

Totally with you on this.

vypek

Loved all the announcements and new games. Much better this way. And pretty much 100% games. I think this was a great conference. Looking forward to what TGS has

Cmagus

Overall the conference was good and it was nice to see a large variety of games. I can name several games I saw that I'm interested in and I'm happy they focused on the titles they did and didn't just shovel a bunch of Assassins Creed and Battlfield trailers. Very happy Teraway is coming to PS4.

SighFight

My opinions / impressions;
The Tomorrow Children // Very intriguing / different. I’d like to see more; this game definitely has my attention.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter // Intriguing, very interesting.

Volume // Already seen. Mike Bithell is awesome. I will definitely pick this up.

Hollowpoint // Meh, not really my thing.

Dayz // Nice get. I might finally need to check it out. ‘In under three years’ is a bit far off though… No gameplay or anything? No trailer? Seems like this plan only was made recently.

Hellblade // Ooh, Ninja Theory! Looking forward to more on that! Looks promising.

Rime // Still awesome. Most anticipated game for me. Incredibly beautiful. Awesome trailer.

Indie montage // Nice. Some good stuff. Will definitely check some of them out.

Destiny // I’m already sold. I don’t need Hirschberg talking corporate PR / pre-order talk. Second guy was disinterestedly reading from the prompter. PvP. Nothing really new. Nice new shots. Should have been just the trailer.

Far Cry 4 // I like snow. Nice to see a more exotic environment. Not very exciting presentation. Keys to Kyrat not as big as originally thought.

Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor // Generic revenge story is not that amazing. Still on the fence about this game.

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain // Hadn’t seen this before. Nice of them to give the box more versatility vs. just as a reference. Completely hilarious and out of place. And hilarious.

P.T. // Ok? Jumpscare reaction vid? I don’t care; show me the game!

Firmware 2.0 // What, play any game with any PS+ subscriber without them owning the game? Stream crapped out beyond that. I want to know more on that, and what does this make Keys to Kyrat? How does it work? What are the specifics?

Morpheus // Stream crapped out. Missed this bit. Demoes on show floor.

PSNow // Stream crapped out. Heard something about the beta coming to EU in 2015.

PSTV // Stream crapped out. Probably won’t sell. Not really interested as I already have a Vita.

Until Dawn // Corny B-movie horror? Nice graphics? You decide who lives? Yes please!

Driveclub // Still looking good. From the trailer straight into gameplay; good. Very focused on social. Weather looking very good. Affects car control / gameplay. ‘HOW FAST DO YOU WANNA GO?’, as always in a Driveclub trailer. Might not have needed the on-stage demo.

Tearaway Unfolded // More Tearaway is awesome, but I’m slightly disappointed that they didn’t have it stay on Vita and work on something completely new instead. Good thing that it isn’t a straight port and has been reworked for the DS4.

Alienation // Awesome destruction. Pretty much Dead Nation with Aliens. Will play.

Wild // Michel Ancel. Looking great. Expansive open world. Play as any living creature? Awesome. Very intriguing. Lots of potential here. Want to know more!​
Huge step up from last year’s Gamescom, and I love how there was a minimum amount of fluff. No 20 minutes on media and movies and services; they just briefly talked about the 2.0 update and PSNow, that’s it. Great. For the rest it was just games games games with minimal fluff. Destiny could’ve just shown the trailer; the PR-talk / pre-order talk accompanying it just dragged it out a bit. The stream crapped out for a little bit, but luckily during the small non-games part. Sadly no Vita news, but that was to be expected.

Great conference with a ton of new, unique and promising titles. Also great that Sony was fully clear on any timed exclusivity, unlike certain other companies.

I second all of this. This are almost exactly my thoughts. Reall curious about this Wild thing. The said you could play every living creature but then there were always the two human characters...
SOE: Bing it on!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm sorry I started to notice the themes in indie development/marketing and that it doesn't seem like wacky spontaneous stuff anymore?
The majority of creative output follows popular trends and/or successful/established design patterns. More shocking news at 11.

Huddy

I wonder what Sony has planned for TGS, knowing they have to get the Japanese to buy into the PS4 and that will only happen with market specific games, I can only imagine that we'll get to see more new titles announced in a little over a month.

HooYaH

I wonder what Sony has planned for TGS, knowing they have to get the Japanese to buy into the PS4 and that will only happen with market specific games, I can only imagine that we'll get to see more new titles announced in a little over a month.

Exclusive Dragon Quest XI. Drops mic with the announcement. GAF gets overloaded with no TLG.

Captain Marvel

Neo Member
pretty good conference, loved what they showed minus the stream issues and the Destiny /DriveClub stuff, at this point im pretty sure people are already sold.

Nafai1123

Banned
What really surprised me the most was the lack of talking in between trailers. It was just one game after another, followed up by a few words, then boom right back to the games.

Every Sony conference should be as concise.

squadr0n

Random thought, but what ever happened to Cyberpunk 2077? Does anyone know if its still coming out or was it silently cancelled? I would have expected some kind of announcement at Gamescom this year if it was still in the works.

It was a great conference with game after game and full of content. Lots to look forward to.

I thought it was really well paced and had a lot of surprises too.

Overall very good. More like this.

Kyoufu

Random thought, but what ever happened to Cyberpunk 2077? Does anyone know if its still coming out or was it silently cancelled? I would have expected some kind of announcement at Gamescom this year if it was still in the works.

They're not going to market Cyberpunk 2077 until Witcher 3 is out.

I couldn't believe that up until the Destiny portion, every single game shown was a brand new title. And then after that, they kept it up with even more brand new titles.

Wasn't Destiny the only actual big 3rd party publisher title? Everything else was brand new games from other studios or Sony published titles.

I was floored by that.

Loudninja

I couldn't believe that up until the Destiny portion, every single game shown was a brand new title. And then after that, they kept it up with even more brand new titles.

Wasn't Destiny the only actual big 3rd party publisher title? Everything else was brand new games from other studios or Sony published titles.

I was floored by that.

Dont forget Far Cry 4.

teiresias

Are the game trailers up on PSN? I can't find any, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place (took a while just to find P.T. for crying out loud!!)

Recap of e3 and gsmescom

JP

Didn't actually watch the show (will do sometime) but having watched the trailers and red up a bit on how it went there seems to have been loads of games on show. The Silent Hills demo was by far the biggest thing for me, perfectly handled by Kojima as I'd expect from him.

Did they have a section for smaller indie stuff as there seem to be that many trailers for that sort of game? Nice to see DayZ hitting the PS4, hopefully it'll push Sony into making a move with H1Z1 too as that's obviously going to turn up at some point.

hitgirl

Sony had a vastly superior conference to microsoft.
Up there with some of their best conferences ever regardless of event.

Woof. Even with Drive Club and Destiny?

Both conferences were very good. Nothing legendary. This generation is pretty great so far, I have neither console but Sony and Microsoft are trading blows well.

Guymelef

Quick resume.
Games published by Sony:

The Tomorrow Children
Until Dawn
Tearaway Unfolded
Alienation
WiLD

New trailers for games published by Sony

LittleBigPlanet 3
Bloodborne
Rime
Driveclub

New trailers for multi platform games:
Destiny
FarCry 3
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

New multi platform games:

Day-Z
Silent Hills

First to console on PS4

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Volume
Hollowpoint
Runemaster
Hellblade
Snow
Dreamfall Chapters
Pixeljunk nom nom GALAXY
Pix the Cat
Papers, Please
In Space We Brawl
Ether One
Q.U.B.E 2

Only halfway through the conference I'm rewatching now that I am off work and already up to 17 games.

1.) The Tomorrow Children - from creators of Pixeljunk series - New

2.) Vanishing of Ethen Carter - New

3.) Volume - from maker of Thomas Was Alone - New

4.) Hollowpoint - Paradox - New

5.) Runemaster - Paradox ( just a mention but nothing else ) - New

6.) Day-Z PS4 announcement - New

7.) HellBlade - Ninja Theory - New

8.) Rime - Tequila Works

9.) Snow - New

10.) Dreamfall Chapters : The longest journey - New

11.) Nom Nom Galaxy - Pixeljunk - New

12.) Pix Cat - New

13.) Papers Please - PC only

14. Space Brawl - new

15.) Ether One - new

16.) Qube 2 - new

17.) Destiny

18.) Farcry 4

19.) Shadow of Mordor

20.) Hideo showcasing MGSV

21.) P.T - New

22. ) 2.0 announcement . Direct to Youtube uploads. Share Play announcement

23. ) Playstation TV stuff

24. ) Until Dawn - New

25.) DriveClub

26.) Tearaway PS4 - New

27.) AlienNation - New

28.) WiLD - Wild Sheep Studios - New

And then of course they had the new trailers for The Order and Bloodborne before the show even began.

So 26-28 games during the show, 18 of which were New announcements. One hell of a show.

It's hilarious to see the difference in reactions on various places of the internet. No Sony bias on Gaf certainly. Too many indies, but MS was rather poo too. No winners.

Top Bottom