• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony has acquired Bluepoint

Shmunter

Wonder if Hideo Kojima would be interested. Or whether he prefers to not answer to anyone anymore.
If it’s to be believed that Sony is hands off when it comes to the creatives, it would be a fine fit.

Truly, why hire talent if you don’t leverage off their vision - that’s why you’re paying the big bucks.

Here it is shown how they are hypocrites.

Showing 2 games from the wonderful Japan Studio, which sony killed in a discriminatory way.

Beware Bluepoint, Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst are treacherous
Discriminatory? Really?
I suppose they are discriminatory against studios that have been costing them money for years and has probably needed reorganising for at least a decade. Unfortunately there was a lot or dead weight in what was a pretty large conglomeration of studios that ended up being a single studio due to their location.
It's never pleasant to see potentially talented people losing their jobs but things clearly needed to change in that area for a long time. As much I've enjoyed some of that accidentally studio's games, The Last Guardian was launched almost a decade after it was first announced and when it launched there was still many issues with the performance.
Now I love that game but it must have cost Sony many millions what is essentially always going to be a niche game, we have no idea what other titles we may have lost due to the ongoing issues that Studio Japan and their projects were having.
That's not hypocritical, that's not treacherous and it's certainly not discriminatory in any way. Sony are a public limited company and they have a legal obligation to make as much money as they're able to for their shareholders, it's difficult to imagine many shareholders being happy to continue investing in a company when each year they're seeing such a niche product being funded without any returns. Again, I absolutely love that game but it's difficult to imagine that they came anywhere close to covering the costs of development when it was released.
It's very easy to defend any particular studio saying within any company because I love the games but if people don't buy those games on launch day then they only have themselves to blame when the studio receives a long needed shake.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Obvious, but no less brilliant, acquisition. Great partnership that absolutely makes sense. Hopefully this means Sony will be re-visiting some of their older franchises, but I also hope Bluepoint get to do something original too.

vivftp

Champions League Football GIF by UEFA

🤔

If you're in a hinty sort of mood do you think it's something we'll hear about very soon, or could it take months?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Sony should get remedy too. They would fit right into ps studio's.
Its a good studio however:
1. I doubt Remedy would want to sell.
2. A well known studio in the midst of acquisition negotiation will get the attention of other competitors like Microsoft.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Team Asobi
Bend Studio
BluePoint
Guerrilla
Firesprite
Housemarque
Insomniac
London Studio
Media Molecule
NaughtyDog
Nixxes
San Diego Studio
Santa Monica Studio
Sucker Punch
Pixelopus
Polyphony Digital
Xdev

Ok so top tier triple A studios with 2 teams each:

- SSM
- Insomniac
- Naughty Dog
- Guerilla
- Sucker Punch

Solid studios with triple A blockbuster potential:

- Sony Bend
- Media Molecule
- Housemarque
- Bluepoint
- Team Asobi

Untested but can also contribute to Triple A:

- Firesprite

Token sports studio:

- Polyphony
- Sony San Diego

Indie/VR/support:

- Pixelopus
- XDev
- London studio
- Nixxes

Have I got the right track here?

I’d love to compare this breakdown to Microsoft but I’m not as familiar with their studios.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Ok so top tier triple A studios with 2 teams each:

- SSM
- Insomniac
- Naughty Dog
- Guerilla
- Sucker Punch

Solid studios with triple A blockbuster potential:

- Sony Bend
- Media Molecule
- Housemarque
- Bluepoint
- Team Asobi

Untested but can also contribute to Triple A:

- Firesprite

Token sports studio:

- Polyphony
- Sony San Diego

Indie/VR/support:

- Pixelopus
- XDev
- London studio
- Nixxes

Have I got the right track here?

I’d love to compare this breakdown to Microsoft but I’m not as familiar with their studios.
Very good division, though a few points:

1. Sucker Punch is tier one now, for sure, but I don't think they have two teams / multiple projects as of now.
  2. Personal opinion, but I'd put London Studios in that tier two or tier three. Blood & Truth is awesome, and their next project is a PS5 exclusive AAA new IP.
  3. Just a sidebar rant: I don't like how xDevs get downplayed. I genuinely believe that xDev -- apart from ICE -- are one of the two most valuable assets that PlayStation has and what differentiates PlayStation Studios from XGS. xDevs just keep giving us gems after gems: Bloodborne, Returnal, Demon's Souls, Until Dawn, Demon's Souls Remake, Death Stranding, Sackboy. And now they are working with Haven Studios, Deviation Games, Firewalk's new IP, and (reportedly) on Twisted Metal. They are super important and handle half a dozen projects simultaneously.

gow3isben

Very good division, though a few points:

1. Sucker Punch is tier one now, for sure, but I don't think they have two teams / multiple projects as of now.
  2. Personal opinion, but I'd put London Studios in that tier two or tier three. Blood & Truth is awesome, and their next project is a PS5 exclusive AAA new IP.
  3. Just a sidebar rant: I don't like how xDevs get downplayed. I genuinely believe that xDev -- apart from ICE -- are one of the two most valuable assets that PlayStation has and what differentiates PlayStation Studios from XGS. xDevs just keep giving us gems after gems: Bloodborne, Returnal, Demon's Souls, Until Dawn, Demon's Souls Remake, Death Stranding, Sackboy. And now they are working with Haven Studios, Deviation Games, Firewalk's new IP, and (reportedly) on Twisted Metal. They are super important and handle half a dozen projects simultaneously.

Great insight I didn’t know that thanks

Woodchipper

Ok, wait a minute. They’re making their own game now? I was really excited about this acquisition at first, but now I’m meh.

I think Sony needs to buy Konami for the 7 Billion or whatever it was, sell off their amusements to make some money back, and produce games based on their IPs that are on the scale of Last Of Us and God Of War.

kuncol02

Banned
They should remake MGS but add in a bunch of cutscenes that take Snake from being a grounded character to essentially being Spiderman or Neo. That would make MGS so much better.
I never played it, but for some reason I feel like you are making some sarcastic comment about Twin Snakes.

yurinka

Showing 2 games from the wonderful Japan Studio, which sony killed in a discriminatory way.
You right..

Well, I wanted to vent my hatred towards Sony for what it did to Japan Studio

They didn't kill it, they changed its leadership, restructured it and now are growing.

Its internal development teams that made critically acclaimed gems like Knack or Knack 2 got merged into one of these internal teams: Team Asobi and moved them to a new office. They are now hiring to grow.

Its XDEV Japanese team dedicated to publish externally developed (by a 3rd party studio, not inside Japan Studio) games like Demon's Souls or Death Stranding Director's Cut it's also alive but now they move it away and reports to XDEV instead of to Japan Studio. They are also hiring to grow.

Sony did this after decades of them losing money and not achieving a sales hit after dozens of games. Meanwhile, they did shut down Liverpool Studios, Evolution, Zipper, Big Big, Incognito, Manchester Studio, Guerrilla Cambridge and other western studios for way less.

By acquiring Firesprite+Fabrik Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst basically resurrected Liverpool Studio, Evolution and Bizarre Creations because they have many workers that were in these studios.

Lol. Demon's Souls was developed by FromSoft, and SotC was created by Team Ico that was no loger part of Japan Studio since the PS3 gen. Both games shown are the remakes made by Bluepoint.
Wrong, Team ICO was the name of one of the internal teams of Japan Studio, the ones who made the Fumito Ueda games. A handful Team ICO members left Sony to create genDESIGN during the end of the development of The Last Guardian and continued working on that game as external consultors. All the other Team ICO members remained in Japan Studio completing the mess that was the development of the game with the help from many other studios.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

No idea who "on neogaf" said that. Ninja Theory had more of a history with Sony but they were bought by Microsoft.

I know, right? Theres too many people around here that are just hard of thinking.

Whilst you would be correct if you said Sony typically buy studios that they’ve got a history of working with, it doesn’t follow that they won’t/can’t buy others.

No simplications at all. And come on you are pratically rewriting history here.

Saturn died with less than 10M worldwide. Dreamcast the same and dropped dead even faster. N64 used cartridges and their production cost was higher than that of CD-ROMs and storage capacity was lower. It was a stupid mistake for Nintendo, but they didn't care as long as their games were selling. They lost Square for this, just google it. They had a serious rupture at that time.

I'm not rewriting anything; I'm actually giving context that you want to pretend doesn't exist. The final conclusion of things might be as you say, but the problem with some people when they talk about consoles in historical context is they lose the subtlety of things, the nuance and context of how things specifically led up to certain moments. That cheapens the discussion.

Saturn was still a competitive entity in the Japanese market from 1994 through early 1997. The N64 had very strong sales in the West and got a lot of specific Western support during the generation. These are facts. You can't act like all the support Sony got that generation, during the first half at least, just naturally gravitated to them due to their mere existence. Deals happened. Talent was poached. Preferences were built. Financial and resource might competitors absolutely lacked was leveraged to pull in support and lock deals down.

And all of that led to what essentially became a form of consolidation: content consolidation.

What I'm saying is devs and publishers were really independent and they chose what were best from them. Not everything was about money, but you can't blame them to chose a platform where most of their fan base were.

Uh, what fanbase was there for Final Fantasy on PS1 before FFVII came out? Was there a Sony console before the PS1 that got Final Fantasy releases I should be aware of? Because it almost sounds like that business deals were established in attracting certain devs/pubs and IP to Sony's first platform that lacked organic presence of fanbase for those IP, and those IP now being established on their platform got the fanbases to gravitate to that platform.

Almost as if, people will go where the games are, the platform itself be damned :pie_thinking: ...

It wasn't a locked content, they could've go to any other platform at any time.

Tell that to Shinji Mikami and the kerfuffle that was RE3/Code Veronica. I guess Sony mandating three numbered RE entries on their system wasn't a factor whatsoever in what was meant to be Dreamcast Resident Evil 3, turning into Code Veronica 🤔 ...

One of the few that still has that mentality to stick to one platform is Atlus, for example. They're are slowly open up, but it's a perfect example of they can go multiplayer, they just don't wanna.

How do you know they don't want to? You do realize the mainline Shin Megami Tensei games have been on Nintendo for decades post-PS2, right? Isn't that a non-Sony platform? So they are already multiplat, and have been for a while now. Never mind they were vehemently multi-plat pre-PS2 as well, releasing multiple games on the Sega Saturn and even a few on Dreamcast, while also supporting PS1 (and before that, sticking with the SFC and Famicom, the only time when they were actually a single-platform dev/pub btw).

Not true.

ND released Crash Bandicoot 1, 2, 3 & CTR as PS1 exclusive games before being aquiring to make PS2 games like Jak & Daxter.

They made Way of the Warrior for the 3DO well before the Crash Bandicoot games.

70059.jpg

Psygnosis released temporal console exclusives for PS1 like Wipeout or Destruction Derby that some time later got ported.

These were due to pre-existing contracts.

They also made many other full console exclusive PS1 games like Adidas Power Soccer, Chronicles of the Sword, Destruction Derby 2, Formula 1, Colony Wars, Lomax, F197, G Police, Tenka, Rush Hour, Shadow Master, League of Pain, Rollcage, Rollcage 2, Wipeout 3 and many more before being acquired to make PS2 games.

They were acquired by Sony in 1993, your dates are wrong. And before doing content for Sony, they did games for various microcomputers, including Ballistix, Obliterator, and Shadow of the Beast.

3% of 1600 is 48 million games for PS4, which is very generous. We don't know the exact number of total of PS4 games sold, but we know while ago was above 1622. It may be over 1700 and will be higher at the end of the generation. I mentioned 'less than 3%' to throw and approximate, but less than 2% at the end of the generation would be more realistic.

What criteria are you using to assume that would be more realistic? Estimates put Fallout 4 alone at between 20 million - 30 million copies sold across all platforms. Assuming an even split between PS/Xbox/PC (it would in reality lean more towards PS and PC over Xbox, btw), that's at least 6.6 million - 10 million across PS platforms, and Pete Hines has also said FO4 is their most successful game ever, likely in revenue. So even if Skyrim has sold more copies, they have generated more revenue (and profit) from Fallout 4, comparatively speaking.

Never mind that when talking Bethesda you're also talking Zenimax which includes all the other IP such as Wolfenstein, Dishonoured, DOOM, Quake etc. Over the period of seven years, cumulatively speaking they have likely reached around that 48 million figure.

It's a good number for Zenimax, but looking at the growth in Sony's business, this ~2% of the game sales will be compensated with the growth. Sony won't miss them. And again, it was estimating they sold ~50M PS4 games which I think it isn't the case at all.

You haven't provided anything tangible to say why you don't think that to be the case tho so 🤷‍♂️

Regarding Sony's numbers, I'd say in recent quarters they mention the % of 1st party sales (for that quarter, not in total) and don't remember the number but I think it was something like 18%. Which in the scale of the amount of games sold in total for PS is pretty impressive.

That was 18% for that fiscal year, not 18% in totality. Considering there were years where 1P output was very quiet or tepid compared to what really started to get going 2016 and onward, we can probably average that totality rate out to between 10% to 12% of that total software LTD sales total. Which, yes, is still great, but are we now talking about absolute numbers or percentage ratios?

Because if you're being fair here, they (and Microsoft) are clearly behind Nintendo in terms of the latter and also behind Nintendo in terms of software revenue and profit figures relative to their percentage ratios of 1P content sales in the software ecosystem (Sony and MS 1P games get price cuts, sales, and packaging inclusion in certain SKUs much more frequently and quickly than Nintendo 1P software).

What matters when talking about games are their gaming divisions. MS having trillions as corporation didn't help them to catch Sony in 20 years.

You also don't need to "catch" someone else to be successful in your own right. Did you forget this part? Nintendo hasn't "caught" Sony in 20 years either if talking about home consoles, but they're mighty healthy and in some ways more successful than Sony. If you wanted to include brands like Minecraft into the equation, Microsoft's gaming division is actually quite strong in its own way and can claim to have an IP of revenue potential much higher than any single Sony IP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom