• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hopes to entice PC players to PS5 by releasing ‘tentpole’ games for console first

While its live service games will be released simultaneously for PS5 and PC, console players will continue to receive early access to Sony’s narrative-driven titles.

Hermen Hulst and Hideaki Nishino, who will be the new joint CEOs of SIE starting on June 1, discussed this strategy during a PlayStation business briefing on Thursday.

By delaying the PC release of sequels like Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarök, Sony hope to attract users who have played the earlier games in those series off console to make the jump to PS5 in order to experience them sooner.
“Indeed, we are bringing our titles to the PC platform and we have a dual approach here,” said current PlayStation Studios head Hulst. “On the live service side, we are releasing our titles simultaneously, so day and date on PlayStation 5 and PC.

“But with our tentpole titles, our single player or narrative-driven titles that are the backbone of what PlayStation Studios has delivered in recent years and in our history, we take a more strategic approach, and we introduce our great franchises to new audiences, and we’re finding new audiences that are potentially going to be very interested in playing, for example, sequels on the PlayStation platform.
“We have high hopes that we’re actually able to bring new players into PlayStation at large, but into PlayStation platforms specifically.

“Actually, the same goes for the work that we do with extending our great properties onto other media such as television series and film, for example, as you have seen with The Last of Us on HBO or Gran Turismo the film, that brings in new players into our franchises as well.”
Nishino, who heads up PlayStation’s Platform Experience Group, also said: “Console is a technology stack that we develop from the bottom up so we can provide a very, very good excellent experience. The value of console will continue to remain and our mission is to continue polishing that.”

He added: “Of course some customers will move from PC to console. Customers who are focused on PC, if they find value, then they will go to console, so rather than cannibalisation, I think this is an opportunity for growth.”

Last edited:
We always knew this was one of their objectives, it's why I don't see day and date releases for PC happening anytime soon. The more people buying into the Playstation eco-system, the better.

I know there was a fair chunk of my friends who are PC gamers, went out and brought a PS5 for the GOW Ragnarok release.

ToadMan

Again, with xbox competition melting away, I think Sony should look for distance from PC now...

GAAS - OK whatever.

But the major single player and "closed" MP type games should revert to being console only - I think Sony should double down on exclusivity again.

They have to back themselves to be able to produce 1st and 2nd party exclusive content that is desirable enough to sell consoles. There is boredom and hubris in AAA gaming, and an opportunity for Sony to capitalise on that by making games which are only playable and possible on their consoles.

If they can't do that, and become just another multiplat game publisher then they are going to face reduced revenues just like Xbox, except Sony cannot as a Corp afford that outcome.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen sadly.

All you are doing is building a library for PC players.

Currently we have around 8+ games. The library will get better and better as time goes on.
It will happen for some. You don't think a portion of PC gamers went out and bought a PS5 when GOWR came out? There are millions of PC gamers that own a PC and PS5, but not an Xbox. And a big reason for that is because PlayStation doesn't bring their tentpole titles to PC day 1.

I don't see this changing unless Sony was to buy a massive publisher. They just don't have enough studios to make it worth their while to put all their games on PC day 1. It would hurt their ecosystem, no doubt

Hot5pur

With the pace of game releases PC gamers are heavily backlogged. Not sure how much this strategy will work, if anything I now wait to grab cheap keys of Sony games rather than go out and buy a PS5. For people like me Sont just killed any reason to buy into their ecosystem outside of buying their port heavily discounted.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I know a few people who have already jumped ship from PC to PS5 because of this.

Although I do believe that most PC users won't, but at least some will. Inflation is rising, cost of living is very high, and PC components are not getting any cheaper. Not to mention that awful ports that PCs keep getting.

GrayChild

Epic couldn't force PC players to install another launcher on their machines by moneyhatting tons of games. How do they think they'll force us to switch to a completely different platform?

I bought some of their late ports, and will probably do it again. But there's no way I'm getting a PlayStation, even as a secondary platform.

Hot5pur

Another thing to consider: how is it enticing to offer an inferior version of the game? The PC port ends up being technically superior, literally the reason a lot of PC gamers choose the platform.
Perhaps it may convince some gamers with a mid range PC to switch to consoles especially if the pro is priced well.

Laptop1991

I'll buy the odd Sony game here and there that i want to play but I won't buy a Playstation to buy more, there isn't enough games i want that would make me do that, unless Sony starts making TES, Fallout, games etc and supports modding, which they don't

feynoob

Gold Member
What’s the biggest asset we all have? Time. You cannot buy, exchange, expand time. If you want to wait for things it’s fine. Perhaps when you get bit older you’ll understand it.
PC players know when to wait. Time is our patience.

It will happen for some. You don't think a portion of PC gamers went out and bought a PS5 when GOWR came out? There are millions of PC gamers that own a PC and PS5, but not an Xbox. And a big reason for that is because PlayStation doesn't bring their tentpole titles to PC day 1.

I don't see this changing unless Sony was to buy a massive publisher. They just don't have enough studios to make it worth their while to put all their games on PC day 1. It would hurt their ecosystem, no doubt
People will still buy it. Not because they want to play those games day 1. Most PC players don't like to sit down in front of their PC all day. Some want to sit down on the couch and have some fun.

Leonidas

That doesn't work for me. When I had a PS5 I bought zero games for it, despite some games not being on PC at the time. All the exclusives I was interested in either came to PC or were included in their PS Extras sub where I played everything I was interested in.

But now that everything seems to be coming to PC, I'll just wait for the PC version (and then wait even more for their old games to go on sale).

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

Worst case scenario they get the sales that they otherwise wouldnt have at a refreshed price on pc, best case they gain new users to their ecosystem
By delaying the PC release of sequels like Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 and God of War Ragnarök, Sony hope to attract users who have played the earlier games in those series off console to make the jump to PS5 in order to experience them sooner.
“But with our tentpole titles, our single player or narrative-driven titles that are the backbone of what PlayStation Studios has delivered in recent years and in our history, we take a more strategic approach, and we introduce our great franchises to new audiences, and we’re finding new audiences that are potentially going to be very interested in playing, for example, sequels on the PlayStation platform.
The only new thing here and my main takeaway is that Days Gone(coping), Returnal, Ratchet and Uncharted sequels should be on the table.

Last edited:
Again, with xbox competition melting away, I think Sony should look for distance from PC now...

GAAS - OK whatever.

But the major single and "closed" MP type games should revert to being console only - I think Sony should double down on exclusivity again.

Sony have to back themselves to be able to produce 1st and 2nd party exclusive content that is desirable enough to sell consoles. There is boredom and hubris in AAA gaming, and an opportunity for Sony to capitalise on that by making games which are only playable and possible on their consoles.

If they can't do that, and become just another multiplat game publisher then they are going to face reduced revenues just like Xbox, except Sony cannot as a Corp afford that outcome.

With the ever chasing dream of higher fidelity 4k 60fps ray tracing its simply not possible to release for a single console anymore. Dev costs are astronomical now. And you also need to sell 6m+ copies to break even for these big AAA games.
Nintendo gets away with it since they have a potato, (which is smart.)

Imo as i have said for the longest, we should have keept 360/ps3 fidelity with a good art style, you would see creative and fun games come left and right due to lower dev costs and publisher willing to take a risk. (due to a smaller investment.)

If you have a 300m movie, do you only relase it on max? no you give it a theatrical run and try to sell as many digital copies as posbile. the same thing with games now, way to expensive. AAA Games cost 50-100 times more now to make than they did in the PS2 era.

Last edited:
PC players know when to wait. Time is our patience.

People will still buy it. Not because they want to play those games day 1. Most PC players don't like to sit down in front of their PC all day. Some want to sit down on the couch and have some fun.
FFlHWPH.jpeg

Embearded

As a console only player, i want more and better output from their studios for the console and not PC.
Ideally the studios don't spend any time porting the games to PC, and let Nixxies and externals handle that part.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Another thing to consider: how is it enticing to offer an inferior version of the game? The PC port ends up being technically superior, literally the reason a lot of PC gamers choose the platform.
Perhaps it may convince some gamers with a mid range PC to switch to consoles especially if the pro is priced well.
You're assuming that the majority of PC gamers have PCs that comfortably outperform PS5. That's factually incorrect.

Also, cost is another big factor. Many people may consider buying a $399 console over a $1,500 PC, especially if they can play a sequel they really want 2 years earlier.

feynoob

Gold Member
Most pc players don't care about that. We use $4k PC just to play Minecraft.

The reason for pc is mods and no online pay.

Aion002

A fools errand. It was uncertainty that made us buy consoles. Being guaranteed they are coming to PC irregardless of a staggered release removes the FOMO.
It doesn’t.

Most people can't control themselves, that's why games from EA and Ubisoft sells so much at launch even though they always end up getting huge price drops a couple of months after release and eventually end up on game pass and ps plus.

Many people don't care, they want as soon is available. Another reason why selling 1 or 3 days of anticipated access to games is becoming common on EA and Ubi games.

Yes, many pc gamers will wait for the pc release... However, the average gamer will just buy what he likes wherever is available.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
You're assuming that the majority of PC gamers have PCs that comfortably outperform PS5. That's factually incorrect.

Also, cost is another big factor. Many people may consider buying a $399 console over a $1,500 PC, especially if they can play a sequel they really want 2 years earlier.
A 6 year PS5 will cost you 400(+100 physical)+480(online service).

You can buy a decent PC that is close to PS5 with that price range.

demigod

We always knew this was one of their objectives, it's why I don't see day and date releases for PC happening anytime soon. The more people buying into the Playstation eco-system, the better.

I know there was a fair chunk of my friends who are PC gamers, went out and brought a PS5 for the GOW Ragnarok release.
We’ve known this since they first announced HZD. How people pretend this is new news with Hulst just reiterating it is beyond me.

Killjoy-NL

Not gonna happen sadly.

Currently we have around 8+ games. The library will get better and better as time goes on.
Yes, you will build a Playstation library on PC.

And as time goes by and said library has gotten bigger, what will happen when Sony starts delaying releasedates for PC and/or make sequels/entries of popular franchises exclusive again?

If they add cross-progression as well, it might actually lower the threshold to get a Playstation as well by a lot.

That could very well be their long-term strategy, while you're looking at it short-term.

Last edited:
Not gonna happen sadly.

It's not going to happen in large numbers, but if even only 5% of PC gamers buy a PlayStation and just 1 game that's good for Sony because then those who actually do wait will still buy their games on PC anyway, which also helps Sony. It's a win-win for them.

Rockstar is kinda helping Sony here by not doing PC day-and-date either, there will be plenty of mustard racers who won't be able to wait for GTAVI and the choice between console becomes easier when there are sequels to games they've enjoyed exclusive on one of them.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I don't think they even have faith in that happening. It is more of a statement directed at those shareholders, who know nothing about the video game industry, see how bringing games to PC adds up to a lot of income day one and needs an explanation...

That said, it is true that PC users are not going to buy $500+ hardware for 1-2 games a year on the first day (AAA SP games are becoming less and less on PS5). They are going to wait or of course they are never going to become the typical user that Sony is interested in...... But it is clear that it is a decission that is going to make many PS console users stay with it. And in that I do believe that the measure will be more affective and has its complete foundation.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yes, you will build a Playstation library on PC.

And as time goes by and said library has gotten bigger, what will happen when Sony starts delaying releasedates for PC and/or make sequels/entries of popular franchises exclusive again?

If they add cross-progression as well, it might actually lower the threshold to get a Playstation as well by a lot.

That could very well be their long-term strategy, while you're looking at it short-term.

3pAJ04j.gif

Makes them exclusive again?
And why would they do that?
The whole point regardless of PR speak is PC was a market they were squandering and with AAA games costing as much as they do, every extra dollar counts.
Nixxes says its takes them about a year to do a port, as they get more proficient at it, they could likely drop that port time to around 6 months......at which point PC gamers are really eating.

Thats some serious hopium.

PC gamers dont even like having other launchers, you think after however long of playing "Playstation" games on PC said PC gamers are gonna go out and buy a whole other console to play its sequel?

Nahh fam, once weve tasted the game on PC, we can wait for its sequel.......on PC.

Now im not saying its zero conversion rate......but its certainly not a marked conversion rate.
PC gamers will just wait.

midnightAI

A 6 year PS5 will cost you 400(+100 physical)+480(online service).

You can buy a decent PC that is close to PS5 with that price range.
Because you said it yourself, that cost is spread over 6 years, it's why mobile phone contracts are so popular even though you pay more than if you bought the phone outright then a simple phone contract.

feynoob

Gold Member
Because you said it yourself, that cost is spread over 6 years, it's why mobile phone contracts are so popular even though you pay more than if you bought the phone outright then a simple phone contract.
That is a bad comparison.

If you buy PS5, you will have to pay for online service, while PC you don't. That extra cost that console players have to deal with.

Kazdane

Gold Member
Not surprised, but I think PS5 games coming much earlier to PC will happen regardless at some point, bear with me. It may be in 5 years, 20 or 50, but it will happen eventually unless things change, because companies are always chasing infinite growth, and sooner or later it'll feel like a natural move.
However, I think hoping for a large number of PC players to switch to PS5 is kinda delusional. And I say so myself, having a PS5 (that I barely use) next to my PC. I will play Stellar Blade whenever it gets released on PC, and I will not buy it on PS5. Why? I simply have a great backlog of games to play (I have hundreds of games through my libraries) and I'm in no rush to go out and buy a game at a higher price and on a different system than the one I use daily. I like the game, but I'm not in a hurry to play it right this moment. Final Fantasy has been for my whole life the only reason to get a console. And I do mean literally a console. I got a 360 not because I cared about Xbox, but because it was the cheapest console to play FF XIII on, and I got a PS5 for FF XVI and Rebirth, not because I particularly care about Sony (and this doesn't mean they don't make great games. Ghost of Tsushima is absolutely fantastic, so are the Spider-man games, God of War and so on...).

I also believe people are losing track of what a PC actually can do. It's common to see mentions (in this thread and others) that plenty of people have PCs that have worse performance than PS5. And while that is absolutely true looking at Steam Surveys, those PCs are still superior to PS5 in other aspects.... you can do other tasks (including work and multitasking) on PC, which may make it harder to justify buying a console (and upgrading a PC isn't nearly as expensive as some people are making it out to be, I haven't upgraded anything on my PC in the last two years, and next time I do, it'll be simply because I can, not because I actually need to for it to keep performing at a decent level).

Top Bottom