• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment has included “Windows PC” in a game listing on their website.

Captn

My belief is that this next gen will be the last of consoles...

If putting out exclusives on PC for Sony makes them enough money as it should imo, then they will eventually fully commit on producing / developing games for PC only. Especially if they buy more game developing companies like it seems to begin to happen lately.

I'm pretty sure that in the long run, it will be more profitable for them in software than hardware.

That's what I think but I could be totally wrong. Only time will tell but tendencies have been moving toward into this lately with all the third parties starting porting there games to PC which used to only be on PS. First parties will eventually do so.

The world is changing and evolves right?

If putting out exclusives on PC for Sony makes them enough money as it should imo, then they will eventually fully commit on producing / developing games for PC only. Especially if they buy more game developing companies like it seems to begin to happen lately.

I'm pretty sure that in the long run, it will be more profitable for them in software than hardware.

That's what I think but I could be totally wrong. Only time will tell but tendencies have been moving toward into this lately with all the third parties starting porting there games to PC which used to only be on PS. First parties will eventually do so.

That won't happen for one major reason.

These companies get the bulk of their cash from their online services AND their cuts of third party games sold on their platforms. Bear in mind, they get a licensing fee of around 30%. If they went PC only, not only do they lose THOSE revenue streams, but then THEY are the ones having to hand over 30% on every game sold to Valve, or whatever Epic charges, and so on. That's why MS is still trying to keep one foot in both worlds too.

Captn

That won't happen for one major reason.

These companies get the bulk of their cash from their online services AND their cuts of third party games sold on their platforms. Bear in mind, they get a licensing fee of around 30%. If they went PC only, not only do they lose THOSE revenue streams, but then THEY are the ones having to hand over 30% on every game sold to Valve, or whatever Epic charges, and so on. That's why MS is still trying to keep one foot in both worlds too.

Money moves around..But if Sony decided to launch their own platform like Epic or anything else for that matter...They could sell their 1st party games only on it and like everybody else sell the 3rd parties one with a general pricing tag to keep competition with the other platforms.

I don't know, it's just guessing on my part to be honest, but having all these rumors of porting their 1st party games to PC must have a future plan going towards that time line if they start doing it.

Not saying that consoles will die in 5 years but who knows later on really how this model will sustain judging how things are looking out in the near future. All I want is great games no matter the platform I can afford both but I'm just curious on how all of this will pan out in the next decade.

Peebs

Neo Member
I think what needs to be understood here is how many playstation owners are also PC gamers? Maybe Sony, based on their data, saw that there is overlap but not much which means it wouldn’t affect console sales and result to a net gain since they’ll sell PS games to PC players who would otherwise not have access to these games.

Kokoloko85

Its either there older PS4 games like Uncharted 4, Horizon, Last of US 1 coming to PC to make more and new people want the sequel exclusives on PS5.....
Also MLB is multiplat now.......
Dreams, Death Stranding, Horizon 1, GT Sports.

Sony isnt going to release their new titles and sequels on the PC. MS had to do it because 105+million ——> 40million units.....
Kojima isnt a 1st party yet

SaucyJack

Yeah, I don't get it.

People are knitting all kind of yarns lately.

Yep. People be crazy.

It's always the same though, in that window where you know something is coming but we don’t have the details people just fill the vacuum by making shit up.

FWIW I find it highly improbable that PlayStation first party games come to PC anywhere near day one. At least not in the short to medium term, by end of next gen who knows.

Last edited:

cm osi

going pc only is not sustainable at all for sony. they will have to kiss bye bye all the 30% cuts from the game sold on consoles, because everyone buy on steam when they can. they will also have to say goodbye to the PS+, because nobody would pay for online on pc.
sony is going pc because they'll try to have their gamepass ps5-pc crossbuy thing, with their exclusives on it. console will stay for people who don't want a pc, but at this point if you're not a casual you really don't need a console anymore.

Top Bottom