• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony PlayStation Has Canceled its Attendance at PAX East Citing Coronavirus Concerns | Update: Boston Mayor Asks Sony To Reconsider

It's not sensationalism when the general advice for people in certain areas is to take precaution and postpone any non-essential travel and mass gathering events. Nobody is saying stop everything you are doing and get to a bunker, it's just about exercising common sense.

This thing tore through a cruise ship in the matter of a week for goodness sake. Japan happens to be an affected area, largely because of the cruise ship, hence this Boston mayor is actually being negligent with his comments. Yes it's fine and dandy now but the level of risk increases the moment more and more people from areas like Japan embark on Boston. It's his own city that would suffer if an outbreak were to occur.

This would simply pass and "fizzle out" if people from affected areas/regions actually took the advice for a few weeks instead of running around downplaying it as "just the flu", which is quite frankly moronic.

where is boston or any other US city in this context though?

MaulerX

Sony had the largest booth space at PAX East and where planning to have the first public demo of The Last of Us 2. Their biggest exclusive of the generation.

Microsoft aren’t at PAX East because they have quite literally packed up until next gen.

The Mayor of Boston is ignorant. It’s as simple as that.

Cases South Korea doubled in the last 24hrs. Overtaking Japan as the country with the most cases outside Japan. Italy has new cases and areas of the country on lockdown. Cases are cropping up in the Middle East. But most worryingly of all, there are now cases, without any clear link back to China.

It’s also worth remembering. If there is a case, those in contact need to go into quarantine for at least 2 weeks. In reality that likely puts someone out of action for a month as companies won’t take undue risks.

At this point I’d put it at 50/50 whether events like the Olympics and E3 will be cancelled. New cases may start diminishing. But it’s just as likely we’ll see new outbreaks in Europe and the US.

Like MS, maybe Sony is packing up until next-Gen as well? Maybe they regretted going to Pax east? Who knows.

Maybe this corona virus thing was the perfect excuse to get out?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Then I suggest you do some more research as this statement is also incorrect. Young and healthy people also die from this virus.

0.2% means 99.8% of the vast majority of people on this forum will be completely fine.

Does Corona kill young people? Yes

Does the regular flu kill young people? Yes

Is Corona worse than the flu? Yes

Will Corona kill more young people than the flu this year? They will likely kill similar amounts of people under the age of 40.

Will Corona kill more old people than the flu this year? Probably but only because there are no vaccines.

What people fail to realize is that the flu is an incredibly dangerous illness, and we only keep its cfr down with vaccines that are around 10-30% effective at providing immunity. If we did not have vaccines certain strains if flu would be worse than Corona.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
0.2% means 99.8% of the vast majority of people on this forum will be completely fine.

Does Corona kill young people? Yes

Does the regular flu kill young people? Yes

Is Corona worse than the flu? Yes

Will Corona kill more young people than the flu this year? They will likely kill similar amounts of people under the age of 40.

Will Corona kill more old people than the flu this year? Probably but only because there are no vaccines.

What people fail to realize is that the flu is an incredibly dangerous illness, and we only keep its cfr down with vaccines that are around 10-30% effective at providing immunity. If we did not have vaccines certain strains if flu would be worse than Corona.

AGKgaFZ.jpg

Your numbers are right if we talk about this corona

Jtibh

Banned
20860.jpeg

My numbers have actual data backing them up...

Do yours?
Sorry i said too much here already just to be ridiculed.
All info and update will be posted in OT from now on.

I will try to post daily so please feel free to check in.

DrAspirino

Banned
As a pharmacist and a Master in Public Health, I have to say that this Corona Virus hype is just that: hype. Just take the numbers in perspective and in % acording to population and you'll see that the infection rate is actually quite low. Heck, it's the perfect excuse to cover up other stuff that's completely unrelated to it, just because it sounds serious (but it isn't).

Coronaviruses are quite common in countries and places with poor animal health control and poor cleaning conditions, and it's a recurring scenario in public health simulations, just like the flu or a rotavirus outbrake.

In fact, last year was an exercise about what would happen in a Coronavirus pandemic and tried to apply the worst possible scenario. Result? Event 201, organised by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

What I'm trying to say here is that Sony is using Covid-19 as an excuse for missing the PAX East event in Boston (and Boston mayor is right).

How long will that tactic work? if they don't get their act together soon, they'll be out of excuses.

Mass Shift

We live in an age of internet conspiracies and misinformation paranoia.

Parents are choosing to NOT vaccinate their children. People are choosing NOT to get vaccinated for flus and other preventable diseases. You have people walking around with surgical masks and bacterial sprays that WON'T protect them.
They don't want to go to a doctor. They want to consult with people who are not medical professionals and self diagnose themselves online.

We could be on the verge of a pandemic, but I pray that we're not. Because I know a lot people here in the States are not going to act responsibly.

I think Sony and others are right to cancel and skip these conventions. People are stupid.

Racer!

I

We been her before like 6 weeks ago.
Everyone said the same.
6 weeks later things just got worse.

Lets wait another 3 weeks and come back to this .
See what changed see if it all was just a phase and the world went back to normal.

Whats your agenda for being so involved in this topic?

Jtibh

Banned
Whats your agenda for being so involved in this topic?
Didnt realise one has to have an agenda if they talk about real world problems.
Its not like i get paid for this.
I am not going store to store stocking food etc.
And even if, and nothing happens i still have something to eat. But if shit hits the fan what will you eat?
I am not paranoid or anything like it.
I still have to run my business take care of family etc.

Dont worry wont talk about it in here anymore.

Racer!

Didnt realise one has to have an agenda if they talk about real world problems.
Its not like i get paid for this.
I am not going store to store stocking food etc.
And even if, and nothing happens i still have something to eat. But if shit hits the fan what will you eat?
I am not paranoid or anything like it.
I still have to run my business take care of family etc.

Dont worry wont talk about it in here anymore.

I just dont see what delay of next gen consoles, or anything gaming related has to do with what I will eat if shit hits the fan. Maybe this belongs in off-topic or somewhere else?

Blond

Banned
There is and good news bytheway

According to the WHO, more than 80 percent of patients infected with the virus have mild disease and recover, while 14 percent have severe diseases such as pneumonia. Around five percent of cases are considered critical."

You're forgetting the fact that

*You can be reinfected, meaning that you can fight the virus and then catch it again

*The incubation period keeps rising, currently 28 days

*The amount of infected are vastly underreported, there was going to be a transport of 70 people to Sacramento but they turned them away yet the number in America is supposedly only "32", that story briefly appeared in the local news here and wasn't

*7600 people in the Bay Area alone were told to isolate themselves after returning from China.

*If this hits the homeless population in places like LA or New York, this shit will spread like wild fire.

*After being to Japan, I seriously fucking doubt those numbers are official considering how many people you can come into contact with going from one single train stop to another.

*The FBI and military are preparing for a pandemic, openly, the FBI in DC has 40k order for masks and sanitizer they demanded be fulfilled within a week.

*People lied about their rest results to get back in the US and now those people are showing symptoms and there's no telling who they interacted with and where those people have gone

History shows us a new disease comes like this once every couple hundred years. Don't be surprised if this is the next one

You cant realy be surprised about that though.
Well, i'm not surprise but always speecless
Consider the massive age gap on gaf from 14 to has to wear a diaper cuz shitter is too far.
Ok i agree with you, But this does not mean that I cannot think before I speak, but maybe here I am wrong to claim it.
Most youth are just not versed in this topic.
If I am not an expert I will let whoever can teach me something speak, this is what I learned in life, but probably not the life of the world wide web. But I understand very well what you mean.
Who can blame them given the total media fallout or just plain missinformation on the subject.
We agree, when governments and the media do not do their job well by playing a lot on the exploitation of fear, this is the result, but psychosis is an inevitable consequence.
All you can do is sprinkle some knowledge and hope it wakes them up a bit.
Sure, but for me it's too late, I'm experiencing it here in Italy the consequences of psychosis, in my opinion also justified, of people completely in panic attacking supermarkets to stock up and close schools and companies this only feeds the panic but I understand that they are the right choices to prevent spreading, unfortunately it is a dog that tries to bite its tail, it's inevitable !.
I add my disgust to all the profiteers who increase the costs of primary goods and basic necessities for profit, I hate you.

mitchman

Gold Member
Covid-19 is a glorified flu yet that's not stopping the sensationalist press fill their boots with this drama.

Did you know, most people who catch it develop mild symptoms only and make a full recovery? Guess this is getting lost in the 'modern plague' hyperbole.
2.3% fatality is 10x higher than the flu fatality rates. There is a reason why this is so serious.
The problem is if your already in poor health, the chance that a virus like this will turn out to be deadly increases dramatically. With flu they can give you antibiotics, with this they can't.
Antibiotics is for bacteria infections, not virus infections.
Fatality rates for flu was around 0.2% last year, that's the same as a single age group with corona virus. So no, corona will kill significantly more people if it spreads like a pandemic.

recursive

The problem is if your already in poor health, the chance that a virus like this will turn out to be deadly increases dramatically. With flu they can give you antibiotics, with this they can't.

So it hugely depends on your immune system and the state of your health prior to being hit with the virus.
The flu is a virus. Antibiotics will not help.

Gamers are sad people sometimes...

Risking spreading a pandemic for game trailers....idiots.

Just because the media is doing a great job making y’all dumbasses think it’s nothing.... does not mean it is.
Condescending to and name-calling people who refuse to agree with your point of view? Where have I seen this tactic before?

Virus man bad?

sorry but this is a silly cop out for Sony.

1. a large portion of Sony is US based, so they could just send the US guys

2. this coronavirus is yet another media hypebomb. remember ebola? swine flu? bird flu? ect. Boston isnt even an at-risk area

mitchman

Gold Member
2. this coronavirus is yet another media hypebomb. remember ebola? swine flu? bird flu? ect. Boston isnt even an at-risk area
So you're an expert then and know more about this than the top medical professionals in the world? 2.3% of COVID-19 infected die from this decease, that's 10x higher than for a common flu. If it turns into a global pandemic, like it might, it will overload all hospitals in the world and cause severe economic and social problems. 5% of the infected become seriously ill and need close medical attention. In a country of 100M, where, say, 20% become infected. That's 20M. 5% of these is 1M that would need to be hospitalized. No country has the capacity to handle that on top of normal medical treatments. This is the concern.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Imo there are incorrect reactons from both parties. Sony shouldn't have cancelled their attendance (makes them look like they're waiting for MS to make the first move with XSEX pricing) and the Boston mayor should just stay quiet instead of showing the world how butthurt he is in the worst possible way.

Or we see this for the sensationalist bullshit that it is.

Swine flu Bird flu, cjd and foot and mouth existed before the Internet was q big thing and they were just as inconsequential and over hyped

Ebola, the doomsday disease fizzled out like a fart in the wind. This is more sensationalism and throwing numbers and figures around means very little without a full background wrie up of each individual.

The condescending language used against those who refuse to stop their lives, cower in fear and do everything to halt the spread of a boogeyman disease is sad at best and indoctrination at worst.

But hey, as long as your arguments are " china are lying because fuck China" you can't be reasoned with. You may as well join the flat earth crew with this logic.

Has kony been stopped yet?
How are the riots in Hong Kong?
Honestly, I struggle to understand the meaning of the words you write, perhaps because I am not a native speaker or because I believe that it is completely disconnected from the reality of the facts, in any case, perhaps you could address your post to those who unfortunately today lost a person for or fight because, aihmè, infected with an imaginary virus.
How did I not understand that behind this situation, like many others in the past, there had always been Hollywood and its puppet theater, very mature to always see a conspiracy behind everything, very ...

falt Earth? ... but what are you talking about, it's completely out of context.

Last edited:
So why the boston mayor gives a fuck about videogame stuff? Is he a sony stan?
He cares about events in his City, and how it looks... Apparently more than the health of the people attending the event (they have to board planes, get in all kinds of crowded places) this is a serious risk at this time, it can make a bad situation almost uncontrollable.

The US are not properly screening people at the border, and their southern border is still full of holes, where humans and human trafficking happens all the time... From a region that doesn't have much of a health care system to begin with.

So do what you will, but you should be cautiously worried at this point in time.

trikster40

Holy crap threads like this drive me crazy. Why do people think there’s some conspiracy from Sony to get out of events? I read “Sony are scared to talk PS5”. That wasn’t even ever going to happen at these events anyway. PAX was going to be all TLOU2, probably GDC too.

Everyone is talking about Boston, there’s only 1 case there, whys Sony so afraid? You ever stop to think that people could be bringing the virus TO Boston? I’ve been to a PAX, it brings peol from all over. all it takes is for 1 person carrying the virus to infect thousands. These companies are making the right call. These conferences are insignificant compared to the health risks.

FranXico

So you're an expert then and know more about this than the top medical professionals in the world? 2.3% of COVID-19 infected die from this decease, that's 10x higher than for a common flu. If it turns into a global pandemic, like it might, it will overload all hospitals in the world and cause severe economic and social problems. 5% of the infected become seriously ill and need close medical attention. In a country of 100M, where, say, 20% become infected. That's 20M. 5% of these is 1M that would need to be hospitalized. No country has the capacity to handle that on top of normal medical treatments. This is the concern.
Add to this that this virus is far more resillient and infectious than any flu virus.

hunthunt

Banned
Ha I love the fake concern and general uncalled rage for Sony for no reason at alk.

I hope they release all their info July or something, it doesnt matter anyway because it will sell 5 or 6 times more than Xbox even if it has some power disvantage

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just wanna say the balls on a US mayor calling out a Japanese company for perpetuating bad Asian stereotypes, that’s kind of insane, and is pretty fucking stupid.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
2.3% fatality is 10x higher than the flu fatality rates. There is a reason why this is so serious.

Antibiotics is for bacteria infections, not virus infections.

Fatality rates for flu was around 0.2% last year, that's the same as a single age group with corona virus. So no, corona will kill significantly more people if it spreads like a pandemic.
.4% isn't "significant"...

And I am fairly sure these percentages will go down in areas that are not overwhelmed. Why do I get the feeling that you doomers want this shit to be bad so you can claim some "See I totally was right" prize?

Some of us, like myself, are indeed concerned about the virus, but the spread of FUD all over the internet by idiots with limp wrists and zero backbone is fucking shameful. I feel sorry for people like this, if the shit ever actually hits the fan they won't last a second due to being polarized by fear.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Where do you get that number from? It's 2.3% vs 0.2%.

From this.

My comment was about the general user of this forum which is mostly under the age of 40. They will all mostly be 99.8% death free. Your claim was that I needed to add up all three .2% sections and that it would be "significantly" higher than the flu for for everyone last year. While you are not wrong that it would be larger, I personally don't see it being "significantly more" when looking at CFRs between .2 and .6. Of coarse the extra loss of life is tragic though.

Your 2.3% claim is for all cases, but you cannot look at all cases and say that any given person has a 2.3% chance to die of this virus. You have to look at the age breakdown/comorbidities because the virus may kill 10% of one group and .01% of the other.

What this chart does not have are comorbities. I have a feeling the number for 50-69 would be lower if you parsed out these comorbidities. So a healthy 56 year old has less than a 1.3% chance of dieing from this virus. The issue is that people over the age of 60 often have underlying health issues (ie comorbidities), and people over the age of 80 are pretty much guaranteed to have them.

Comorbities also explain some if not all of the deaths in the 10-40 range. Remember some people can seem completely healthy but have comorbidities that only really show up when they get really ill. A lot of stuff gets diagnosed this way because they don't do as well as they should when their body gets hit hard by something. Other things that can cause a healthy person to succomb to an illness like this are; Air pollution, stress, drug use, lack of sleep, anxiety, smoking habit, genetics, excessive alcohol consumption, excessive use of energy drinks (ie. heart, liver, kidney damage), etc. This is why it is important to keep your cool, manage your mental health and cut out the vices in your life. Believe it or not I knew a guy who died at the age of 35 because he basically only drank monster energy drinks. It completely ruined his heart.

All that said there is a chance for a 100% healthy young person to die of NCOV. A few years ago the flu killed a 20 something year old fitness trainer in perfect health. Cytokine storms are not exactly predictable, and when young people die to these illnesses it is usually due to this event and the sepsis that follows.

This is why total CFR is a stupid metric to panic about unless its a virus like Bird Flu or Ebola that kills indiscriminately. Worrying about your elderly loved ones is perfectly reasonable though.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Companies: Due to not wanting to get sued for millions of dollars, and because we don't want to send people to a higher chance of being seriously ill, we're not going to travel for a while, sorry we won't make it to your show
City: Ummm....you bring in a lot of money per year to the city....could ya uh...reconsider?

really-bruh-picture-2.jpg

Shit if my company offered me an all expenses paid month in some other country right now?
Fuck that, I'm staying at home and not getting sick
Let this shit blow over then go run around

Last edited:

Athreous

While it might be bad for gamers, we must look forward for the health of all these professionals.
If there might be any chance of infection, it's better to be safe.

Yea, it’s just the flu folks... meanwhile in Iran...

wake the fuck up.

It’s no big deal right guys? It just kills everyone that has health problems. Diabetic parents in your family? They’re dead. Fuck em’ right?

Just wait two weeks when everyone rushes out to prep and buy food, they will scream and shout why no one warned them while every supermarket is empty.

I got my shit ready to go 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Just wait two weeks when everyone rushes out to prep and buy food, they will scream and shout why no one warned them while every supermarket is empty.

I got my shit ready to go 2 weeks ago.
I got my shit a month ago. I am probably going to get some more though. The economic impacts of this thing are going to hit hard. Personally I am not exactly sure when the next gen consoles will get launched as I fear another depression could happen. (I am not claiming it will though) Hopefully there is just a recession and we come out of it ok. Its still possible that it burns itself out or mutates to be less severe too.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Morning everyone.

Just wanted to suggest to move all arguments to the coronavirus OT.
I understand both sides but clearly the dissagrement is huge.
For pro virus side i say give the rest some time and come back to this in a few weeks maybe by then they realised its all true what we say.
For the con side i say keep an open mind and dont attack or put down people who may be already living in a affected area.
No one is trying to cause panic. We just try to warn so you guys can pre plan at your leasure or not.
If you know the truth and pre plan you wont be hit with a big surprise and scramble in last second. Being ignorant never helped. Stay alert is all we ask.

And for the ones who just dont care to read but ask how is this related to sony....we pointed out our opinion and connections between the virus and cancellations.
Do not be surprised hearing more and more of this over the year.

There is not much more to add to this thread from me but i am happy to see people pay notice how ever they feel about it. At least its in the back of their mind.

Top Bottom