• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reportedly Waiting on Xbox Series X Price Before Setting the PS5 Price (Updated OP)

I can see MS throwing out extra money for the Minecraft purchase because that game prints money but I don't think Xbox is now getting this huge backing any different from what they had before
The recent acquisitions of 7-8 studios on top of expansion of prior 1st party studios supports Phils recent statement that him and MS CEO Nadella mutually agreed to go "all in on gaming". Prior to that (360era/early XB1 launch) under Steve Ballmer/Mattrick,they were shutting studios left n right and had no where near tyhe investment in 1st party as they do now. MS has more at stake in gaming now due to ecosystem(Xcloud/Azure,gamepass,Mixer,Windows)and titans like Google getting into the mix.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
We'll see but If they really had this backing I think the past few years would have been better in terms of games but we'll see

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I can see MS throwing out extra money for the Minecraft purchase because that game prints money but I don't think Xbox is now getting this huge backing any different from what they had before
Things definitely are different then before. Until the end of 2016 Xbox was just a sub-division under Terry Myerson's Windows and Devices group. But then Phil Spencer became an executive reporting directly to Nadella and Xbox became a separate division. Which is why we now see so many acquisitions. Xbox gets way more backing now.
You also ignored the part about much of R&D for hardware and OS(Xbox System Software for Xbox Series X is now part of Windows Core OS) being done outside Xbox division.

sublimit

Banned
I listened to the conference. That's a VERY liberal interpretation.

He simply said they cannot discuss the price, which may very well mean that they don't want to reveal it to the competition in advance.

Usual incorrect reporting making something into something it isn't for clicks.
Too late for clear logic now. The fanboys have already took what they wanted from the (clickbait) article without bothering to look at the details. :D

But everyone who's not a fanboy can easily see that BOTH companies have been playing a cat and mouse game for a while now trying to bait each other to unveil their biggest cards (price,software features,full specs) first.

The difference is that Sony has no reason to rush at all. If they want they can wait and release the PS5 even one year later. MS expected that so that's why they are preparing different propositions for their next gen offerings.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Things definitely are different then before. Until the end of 2016 Xbox was just a sub-division under Terry Myerson's Windows and Devices group. But then Phil Spencer became an executive reporting directly to Nadella and Xbox became a separate division. Which is why we now see so many acquisitions. Xbox gets way more backing now.
You also ignored the part about much of R&D for hardware and OS(Xbox System Software for Xbox Series X is now part of Windows Core OS) being done outside Xbox division.
Windows core reminds me of stuff like UWP which can be hit or miss

A big part of the reason why I'm skeptical is because Mike Ybarra who just left the company says nothing has changed as far as how their game's division is ran. He was definitely in a position to be privy to that information

But like I said, we'll see

Arun1910

Honestly don't care when they unveil it. It will come out in the Holiday, makes no difference to me.

I do hope the reveal is special though. The Xbox Series X had to be the most lackluster reveal of any console I have ever seen and we have heard nothing software wise since.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's just fake news, Gaming is Sony's largest revenue creator.

Uh, do the math.

It may produce the most revenue solely in comparison, but it's not more than 20% of Sony's total revenue and operating income overall.

Regardless, "bankrupt" is crazy fanatic talk.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Console users are generally more well off and are happy to pay the premium for the convenience. Even paying for online play is not an issue.

Money does buy happiness. ✌🏼

Thats only true for people having no clue about pc gaming but ok.

Pay more for less ain't exactly premium, but you know what, that's another story.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Meanwhile, nobody cares about XSX, which gets outshined by a PS5 logo. 😶

Dial it back on the potshot bait.

Meanwhile, silly ass Sony fanboys continue having wet dreams about a fuckin logo and find it meaningful to brag about it. Lol. Pathetic. Now lets group together 'round the camp fire and praise Sony for openly not being confident in their own product.
Sony fans are so transparent and thirsty. Sony is legit acting like one of them salad eatin b***** about PS5 and y'all think that shit cute. Lol

Did you really need to get so "extra" with this?

Reign in the signal to noise ratio more. It's a damned consumer product for crying out loud.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
We'll see but If they really had this backing I think the past few years would have been better in terms of games but we'll see
You missed the point. Only just recently has the Xbox division retained the full backing of Microsoft. That's why they didn't have many first party games and had to depend on Halo, Gears and Forza every year.

Clearly that's no longer the case. Xbox has never been as strong as it is now because the CEO is 100% behind the Xbox platform. Like it or not, thats a game changer on many levels, as we've seen with recent acquisitions, GP, BC etc. They've grown astronomically in just a few short years. And still are...

Hobbygaming

You missed the point. Only just recently has the Xbox division retained the full backing of Microsoft. That's why they didn't have many first party games and had to depend on Halo, Gears and Forza every year.

Clearly that's no longer the case. Xbox has never been as strong as it is now because the CEO is 100% behind the Xbox platform. Like it or not, thats a game changer on many levels, as we've seen with recent acquisitions, GP, BC etc. They've grown astronomically in just a few short years. And still are...
I'm not convinced when I see mostly smaller titles like Grounded, Bleeding Edge, Everwild, etc. We'll see how Hellblade 2 and the future AAA titles turn out

Gavon West

Hopefully, but I still think PS5 will have the software advantage
I don't. They'll do well. But they won't be dominant in software like this gen again. Sony's and Microsoft's stable of developer will be going head to head next gen. They'll both have great software.

Hobbygaming

I don't. They'll do well. But they won't be dominant in software like this gen again. Sony's and Microsoft's stable of developer will be going head to head next gen. They'll both have great software.
Lol I like your optimism but let's compare what we know is coming

PS5 and some on PS4
Spider-man 2
Horizon 2
Lost Soul Aside
Granblue Fantasy Relink
God of War 5
Project Awakening
Ratchet and Clank
Days Gone 2
Godfall
Wild
Demon Souls
GT7

Series X
Halo Infinite
Grounded
Everwild
Flight simulator
Bleeding Edge
Ori and The Will of The Wisps
Fable
Forza 8
Forza Horizon 5
Hellblade 2
Project Mara
Battletoads

Missing a few on both sides but this is probably most of the titles

Gavon West

PS5 and some on PS4
Spider-man 2
Horizon 2
Lost Soul Aside
Granblue Fantasy Relink
God of War 5
Project Awakening
Ratchet and Clank
Days Gone 2
Godfall
Wild
Demon Souls
GT7

Series X
Halo Infinite
Grounded
Everwild
Flight simulator
Bleeding Edge
Fable
Forza 8
Forza Horizon 5
Hellblade 2
Project Mara
Battletoads

I'm gonna wager Xbox has a few more bangers up their sleeve they'll announce around E3. I wouldn't dot that list just yet.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I haven't read the whole topic, but I don't believe this at all. There's a lot more that goes into a console's price than just what they feel like..

Even if they were to take a huge loss on the MSRP, that has to be accounted for and they must have a plan that goes along with manufacturing. So, I'm not biting this one. Sorry..

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Console gamers.

Must be a maximum of $399 or bust.
Well they can expect no improvement in games
Anyone that thinks SONY doesn't already have everything planned and mapped out before release is tripping. These are huge corporations, they got massive investors to please, calculate waaaay ahead the actual cost of building a console vs profit and plan financial growth for the upcoming years. Im pretty sure even 2 years ago, they knew exactly how much they would price the PS5 based on hardware costs and marketing trend. They not gonna be clueless 9 months before release and play it by ear. If anything they are cock teasing MS telling them guess what, you gonna have to reveal first again and we will drop the next day more news about the PS5 to make your presentation weak. But console pricing, its looks, psn subscription plan for next 6 years...thats all been in the books cooking and ready. Companies think 5 years ahead, not once they release a product then they start figuring out how to push it forward.
Unfortunately a lot of Gaffers on here don't actually understand business or how to run one. If they did, they would understand and know about what's going on and what's going to happen a lot more. I read so many stupid comments on here. It's a shame you even had to explain that and people don't actually know this.

Codes 208

PS5 and some on PS4
Spider-man 2
Horizon 2
Lost Soul Aside
Granblue Fantasy Relink
God of War 5
Project Awakening
Ratchet and Clank
Days Gone 2
Godfall
Wild
Demon Souls
GT7

Series X
Halo Infinite
Grounded
Everwild
Flight simulator
Bleeding Edge
Fable
Forza 8
Forza Horizon 5
Hellblade 2
Project Mara
Battletoads

How do you know these games are coming. When did from ever confirm a port or remaster of demon souls for ps4/5? It seems like half of the list for playstation is hypothetical and several titles on xbox as well like fable. Theres never been a confirmation or a heavy implication.

Gavon West

Well they can expect no improvement in games

Unfortunately a lot of Gaffers on here don't actually understand business or how to run one. If they did, they would understand and know about what's going on and what's going to happen a lot more. I read so many stupid comments on here. It's a shame you even had to explain that and people don't actually know this.
I mean, I guess you two would have a point if the CFO of Sony didnt officially announce they dont have a set price for the PS5 yet.

Hobbygaming

How do you know these games are coming. When did from ever confirm a port or remaster of demon souls for ps4/5? It seems like half of the list for playstation is hypothetical and several titles on xbox as well like fable. Theres never been a confirmation or a heavy implication.
Many of these are no brainers, some are confirmed and some are the worst kept secrets

Shmunter

Sony’s delay on an announcement is certainly noteworthy. Could spell trouble spec wise where Sony doesn’t want to be priced too high for a weaker powered console. Let’s hope my negative feeling is unfounded.

Hobbygaming

Sony said Insomniac will work on Spider-man and Ratchet and Clank for the near future

Horizon 2 was confirmed by a voice actor from the 1st game

Lost Soul Aside, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Wild, Project Awakening and Godfall are already announced

Sony said they want Days Gone to be a new franchise and Bend spent 6 years making the 1st game. It sold really well and the ending also alludes to a sequel

Demon Souls remake is heavily rumored by Bluepoint Games and even Jason Schreier hinted at it being a thing

Cory Barlog said he has stories for the next God of War games, said Ragnorak is coming on Twitter through coded tweets, the ending hints at a sequel, the game sold 12 million copies

Polyphony Digital only work on Gran Turismo games and they showed a demo of GTS in 8K and a video of some raytracing in GT

Hobbygaming

Sony’s delay on an announcement is certainly noteworthy. Could spell trouble spec wise where Sony doesn’t want to be priced too high for a weaker powered console. Let’s hope my negative feeling is unfounded.
A part of me thinks this too but there could be other reasons

1. One or two of the game demos/trailers isn't finished yet and they want it to be a part of the reveal

2. Maybe they don't want to take the spotlight away from 2020 PS4 titles

3. Maybe they want the show to be closer to Xbox's E3 conference

All speculation of course

Justin9mm

I mean, I guess you two would have a point if the CFO of Sony didnt officially announce they dont have a set price for the PS5 yet.

We do have a point, they do have a price or should I say they have a price they want to set and a price that they could set as a competing alternative. You think that when they say they don't have a price set means they don't have a figure or they just haven't decided which one they are going with? There is difference. It's called marketing PR 101. It's all about the wording. Trust me they have a price.

Codes 208

Sony said Insomniac will work on Spider-man and Ratchet and Clank for the near future

Horizon 2 was confirmed by a voice actor from the 1st game

Lost Soul Aside, Granblue Fantasy Relink, Wild, Project Awakening and Godfall are already announced

Sony said they want Days Gone to be a new franchise and Bend spent 6 years making the 1st game. It sold really well and the ending also alludes to a sequel

Demon Souls remake is heavily rumored by Bluepoint Games and even Jason Schreier hinted at it being a thing

Cory Barlog said he has stories for the next God of War games, said Ragnorak is coming on Twitter through coded tweets, the ending hints at a sequel, the game sold 12 million copies

Polyphony Digital only work on Gran Turismo games and they showed a demo of GTS in 8K and a video of some raytracing in GT
At this point its still just assumptions. The point of my post was how youre comparing, for example, a real game like halo Infinite to a game like GoW5. While youre right, its a sure fire thing we’ll get GoW5 at some point that doesnt mean it currently exists, or atleast beyond conception or alpha, nor do we know it’ll launch in the ps5’s launch window.

the only confirmed game we know heading for the ps5 is godfall. Just seems like a fruitless list if you ask me. But the same could be said for xbox for that matter and as already stated: it’d be better to wait for more official information before we start counting our chickens before they hatch.

Gavon West

We do have a point, they do have a price or should I say they have a price they want to set and a price that they could set as a competing alternative. You think that when they say they don't have a price set means they don't have a figure or they just haven't decided which one they are going with? There is difference. It's called marketing PR 101. It's all about the wording. Trust me they have a price.
But the CFO himself said they don't have a set price for the PS5 yet. They may know what price range they want to land but ultimately, its not set.

So you're saying hes lying and you know more about what he's doing than he does???

Armchair marketers and PR experts are a funny lot.

Hobbygaming

At this point its still just assumptions. The point of my post was how youre comparing, for example, a real game like halo Infinite to a game like GoW5. While youre right, its a sure fire thing we’ll get GoW5 at some point that doesnt mean it currently exists, or atleast beyond conception or alpha, nor do we know it’ll launch in the ps5’s launch window.

the only confirmed game we know heading for the ps5 is godfall. Just seems like a fruitless list if you ask me. But the same could be said for xbox for that matter and as already stated: it’d be better to wait for more official information before we start counting our chickens before they hatch.
Lol Everyone knows these games are coming bro and Sony knows what we expect. These games are already well into development. We'll see a few of them at the reveal

Justin9mm

But the CFO himself said they don't have a set price for the PS5 yet. They may know what price range they want to land but ultimately, its not set.

So you're saying hes lying and you know more about what he's doing than he does???

Armchair marketers and PR experts are a funny lot.
Not lying as such but spinning words.

He said they don't have a set price yet.. It just means it hasn't had final sign off. They have already calculated what the price is going to be.. They more likely have agreed on two price points. One to slightly undercut MS and one that they would like to set. So technically they know the price they are setting, it's just they have not officially chosen. Everything they do goes through a series of sign offs through senior management up to the board of directors.

They are not going to actively say well we are waiting to see what MS does and then we may undercut them. Nothing is left to play it by ear, they have a plan A and a plan B.

I also work in Corporate finance for a huge global company so I know a thing or two about how they spin figures and make decisions.

Last edited:
I'm gonna wager Xbox has a few more bangers up their sleeve they'll announce around E3. I wouldn't dot that list just yet.
We have had xbox exclusives for all of the last generation, MS has to prove they can deliver on the potential of the games studios they have... Sony has a track record to backup the enthusiasm behind their exclusives (same goes for Nintendo).

Gavon West

We have had xbox exclusives for all of the last generation, MS has to prove they can deliver on the potential of the games studios they have... Sony has a track record to backup the enthusiasm behind their exclusives (same goes for Nintendo).
Not sure if you've noticed but, Microsoft run their dev houses like Sony and Nintendo according to the newly acquired studios. The on;y thing missing in the Xbox arsenal is the first party games and those are coming. The ones we know of look incredible. I'm confident in saying this will be an ongoing trend with the XGS. Next generation will be super interesting.

Justin9mm

Not sure if you've noticed but, Microsoft run their dev houses like Sony and Nintendo according to the newly acquired studios. The on;y thing missing in the Xbox arsenal is the first party games and those are coming. The ones we know of look incredible. I'm confident in saying this will be an ongoing trend with the XGS. Next generation will be super interesting.
I hope you're right because MS have sung this song before about great first party games coming this generation and they fell very short, looking good or not, whether they are good is a different story. Sony have already proven themselves with a great Exclusive track record but Microsoft has been all talk. I sure hope it is different this time round but statistics don't lie.

We will see, studio staff saying that their new bosses are nice when everyone is watching is pretty common, everything appeared rosy with Scalebound until it got cancelled, and I won't list all the disappointing titles of the last couple of years (having lows can happen, but that has been an almost 10 years streak at this point).

Obviously Senua's sacrifice 2 has pretty good chances to break that streak, the first one was a pretty good game itself, but you never know until it shipped... MS has been very consistent at delivering great trailers and previews, so I'm not worried about that part of the equation, I'm skeptic of their ability to manage talent properly.

Shin

Banned
"What is not very clear or visible ... is because we are competing in the space," CFO Hiroki Totoki said, though a translator. "So it is very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this time. Depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy, and how much cost we are prepared to pay. So it is a question of balance."

It is difficult to speak concretely about PS5 pricing at this stage, Totoki said, but fans and investors can be sure that Sony will "choose the optimal approach."

EDIT: everyone seems to have their own interpretation of what was said of might have been said.
EDIT2: balance, investors, I feel $399 incoming for a handful of reasons and with that specs to match.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Honestly don't care when they unveil it. It will come out in the Holiday, makes no difference to me.

I do hope the reveal is special though. The Xbox Series X had to be the most lackluster reveal of any console I have ever seen and we have heard nothing software wise since.
Lackluster reveal you say? Its at about 10 million views so far yoski! WTF?

devilNprada

Why would they give a price when we have such uncertainty with the tariffs they may be 25% cheaper by launch.. They both are probably looking at manufacturers outside of China.. Especially Xbox whos sales depend more heavily on the US. Just a thought.

I'm not convinced when I see mostly smaller titles like Grounded, Bleeding Edge, Everwild, etc. We'll see how Hellblade 2 and the future AAA titles turn out
Those are just the games they choose to let out the bag at this moment in time. Pay extra attention to Phil's cunning smirk, he has many things cooking.

Arun1910

Lackluster reveal you say? Its at about 10 million views so far yoski! WTF?

Which is normal, that isn't a "wow" number, it is a console reveal after all.

But how they went about it was boring. A CGI trailer, no games, no price, no date.

Since TGA almost 2 months ago it has been pretty much silent.

They revealed it almost as a throwaway piece, a short spot at TGA and even if that did generate hype, there was no follow through whatsoever.

Imo they revealed it way too early and should have done it at something surrounding an event of theirs.

Which is normal, that isn't a "wow" number, it is a console reveal after all.

But how they went about it was boring. A CGI trailer, no games, no price, no date.

Since TGA almost 2 months ago it has been pretty much silent.

They revealed it almost as a throwaway piece, a short spot at TGA and even if that did generate hype, there was no follow through whatsoever.

Imo they revealed it way too early and should have done it at something surrounding an event of theirs.
You're living in a dream world that buzz from that show is still being felt with small bits of info being released on the daily. Now everyone is questioning Sonys confidence, it was brilliant to reveal when they did. Caught Sony of guard that's for sure.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Sony may have an under-powered console, and charging it as the same price as the series X would be a total disaster, so I am not surprised.

photogaz

While it may be marginally underpowered, i can't see how it can be that bad (like 9TF).

Personally, the games I want to play are on PS5 (or studios). The only reason I'd get an Xbox is if the power jump is huge and the 3rd party games are better.

Top Bottom