• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Reportedly Waiting on Xbox Series X Price Before Setting the PS5 Price (Updated OP)

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
No it's not. Not wanting to DISCUSS a price not to let your competition know in advance does not in any shape or form mean that you have not decided. It may very well be (and it likely is) that they don't want to give the competition a chance to change their price to undercut them.

Whoever wrote this article simply picked the juiciest interpretation (of many possible) for a VERY vague statement and made it into a headline.
So, the same thing with different wording.....

Seriously though, Sony isnt willing to reveal too much until they see what MS does. Thats pretty much the way this interprets.

Gavon West

Meanwhile, nobody cares about XSX, which gets outshined by a PS5 logo. 😶
Meanwhile, silly ass Sony fanboys continue having wet dreams about a fuckin logo and find it meaningful to brag about it. Lol. Pathetic. Now lets group together 'round the camp fire and praise Sony for openly not being confident in their own product.
Sony fans are so transparent and thirsty. Sony is legit acting like one of them salad eatin b***** about PS5 and y'all think that shit cute. Lol

Gavon West

Why would the market leader be following someone who has never outsold them?
Because regardless if Sony fans want to believe it or not, Sony still considers Microsoft as a serious competitor. Its baffling how some of you honestly believe Sony is untouchable in this game. Sony themselves dont even believe that.

ZywyPL

Banned
Well, given that Sony bets everything on the usual, single SKU strategy, as oppose to MS aiming for as many models/platforms as possible, and how the last two generations were decided single-handedly by the price before they even actually started, and Sony experiencing it both the good and the bad way, I can somewhat believe in such narrative.

Knowing MS pricing would allow them for the last-ditch stunt like for example decreasing their (supposedly) expensive SSD capacity by half of the originally planned capacity (sort of like a reverse move of the PS4 last second 8GB GDDR5), that would allow them to have a console that's as powerful as MS highest-end model, but at lower price.

Gavon West

IMHO Xbox has no chance of winning. Worldwide, PS is a monstrous force.

Sony is quiet right now so naturally, some people will think they're vulnerable, but once the PS5 reveal and later TLOU pt 2 comes, then it'll be business as usual
I wouldnt say Microsoft has no chance of winning world wide - no. Xcloud may change the entire landscape as far as that goes. And yes I agree. TLoU 2 will be a banger for sure but we dont know what Microsoft has up their sleeve either. Again, this isnt the same Microsoft back in 2013. This is a new beast. Phil is at the big boy table and Xbox has 100% full support of Microsoft behind them. No matter how many want to pretend thats not a big deal, it really is. It's never happened before and MS is a monster trillion dollar company.

It matters...

onQ123

Because regardless if Sony fans want to believe it or not, Sony still considers Microsoft as a serious competitor. Its baffling how some of you honestly believe Sony is untouchable in this game. Sony themselves dont even believe that.

Microsoft don't even plan on selling many Xbox SX but if you think Sony is basing PS5 on what Microsoft do have fun

kretos

Banned
giphy.gif

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I wouldnt say Microsoft has no chance of winning world wide - no. Xcloud may change the entire landscape as far as that goes. And yes I agree. TLoU 2 will be a banger for sure but we dont know what Microsoft has up their sleeve either. Again, this isnt the same Microsoft back in 2013. This is a new beast. Phil is at the big boy table and Xbox has 100% full support of Microsoft behind them. No matter how many want to pretend thats not a big deal, it really is. It's never happened before and MS is a monster trillion dollar company.

It matters...
Xcloud won't make Xbox a stronger brand than PS. And Xbox division money still doesn't equal MS money

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So, the same thing with different wording.....

Seriously though, Sony isnt willing to reveal too much until they see what MS does. Thats pretty much the way this interprets.

No. It's not the same thing with different wording.

There is a giant difference between not knowing the price of a console because you want to wait for the competition to announce theirs and then adapt accordingly, and simply not being willing to publicly discuss it, likely because you don't want to provide information to the competition,

It's not even in the same galaxy.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

None of us know what the full impact of cloud gaming will be on the market and anyone claiming otherwise is speaking purely from hubris.
True, but I dont see it happening tbh. I don't see this huge demand for game streaming and I know Stadia isn't an apples to apples comparison, but I can see Xcloud having a lukewarm launch as well

Elenchus

Banned
True, but I dont see it happening tbh. I don't see this huge demand for game streaming and I know Stadia isn't an apples to apples comparison, but I can see Xcloud having a lukewarm launch as well

Stadia’s launch tells us absolutely zero about the appeal of cloud gaming. The launch was a disaster on nearly every level and what Xcloud offers is fundamentally different.

Stadia is charging $60 for streaming access to a game. Xcloud will charge $60 for both streaming and local access (and I’m not even bringing the impact of Gamepass).

Stadia’s business model is borked even if Google nails everything else. Not so with Xcloud.

yurinka

None of us know what the full impact of cloud gaming will be on the market and anyone claiming otherwise is speaking purely from hubris.
Don't need to wait until xCloud, you can already see the impact of Onlive, Gaikai, PS Now, PS Remote Play, Nvida Go, etc. Is it going to grow in the future? Yes. Is MS going to add in the future something new that may drastically change the market? As we know no, what they offer has been already offered by others or they plan to add it somewhere in the near future.

Hobbygaming

Stadia’s launch tells us absolutely zero about the appeal of cloud gaming. The launch was a disaster on nearly every level and what Xcloud offers is fundamentally different.

Stadia is charging $60 for streaming access to a game. Xcloud will charge $60 for both streaming and local access (and I’m not even bringing the impact of Gamepass).

Stadia’s business model is borked even if Google nails everything else. Not so with Xcloud.
Stadia's business model is why I said it's not an apples to apples comparison but I still don't think there's much demand for game streaming

Gavon West

Xcloud won't make Xbox a stronger brand than PS. And Xbox division money still doesn't equal MS money

You're fucking nuts if you dont think Xcloud will take the brand much further next generation. And your second comment sounds like you got up in yo feelings and just reacted. I'll give you a chance to rethink that shit before I rebuttal.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This is abit weird...

At this point hardware, price, systems, everything should be finalised and set in motion..

Theres no need to play the waiting game...sony should ve focused on themselevs on not worried about what the other guys are doing

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Whatever the price is of PS5 and XSX, I know with R&D and what they packing in it, they are selling at some loss regardless.

It's gonna be around that $500 USD mark anyway. I have no problem paying this or more. I'm sick of some console gamers who want something under $500 with high unrealistic expectations. They are holding the innovation of consoles back.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whatever the price is of PS5 and XSX, I know with R&D and what they packing in it, they are selling at some loss regardless.

It's gonna be around that $500 USD mark anyway. I have no problem paying this or more. I'm sick of some console gamers who want something under $500 with high unrealistic expectations. They are holding the innovation of consoles back.
Console gamers.

Must be a maximum of $399 or bust.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

You're fucking nuts if you dont think Xcloud will take the brand much further next generation. And your second comment sounds like you got up in yo feelings and just reacted. I'll give you a chance to rethink that shit before I rebuttal.
I don't see it making a big difference. Most of the next generation hype is for the new consoles. Not much hype is there for Xcloud

Jtibh

Banned
bwahaha... you didnt describe sony here, but microsoft. sony is a little fish compared to MS. they are nothing. Sony net worth as of February 03, 2020 is $87.78B. Microsoft is now worth over $1 trillion - yes, TRILLION.

sony could easily go bankrupt if they fuck up PS5. easily.
😝your type

Gavon West

I don't see it making a big difference. Most of the next generation hype is for the new consoles. Not much hype is there for Xcloud
Patently false. Do your research. Xcloud is undoubtedly a highly anticipated function - especially since its semi out in the wild with mostly glowing previews.

Mass Shift

That's a dangerous game right there. Microsoft could literally announce it lower than cost which would hurt Sony in the end. Making all those console sales a deficit instead of making any money on them. Their new NVMe solution can't be cheap.

I don't think either of these companies wants to lose money in any intolerable way. But if they get into a price war with one another, that's exactly what will happen.

S0ULZB0URNE

Meanwhile, silly ass Sony fanboys continue having wet dreams about a fuckin logo and find it meaningful to brag about it. Lol. Pathetic. Now lets group together 'round the camp fire and praise Sony for openly not being confident in their own product.
Sony fans are so transparent and thirsty. Sony is legit acting like one of them salad eatin b***** about PS5 and y'all think that shit cute. Lol
Somebody is scared!

Gavon West

Anticipated by who?
Surely not PlayStation gamers and not all XB gamers(me included)
Not PlayStation gamers? Is that so? lol. They'll play Xbox 1st party games on their alleged $1000 PC's but they won't touch Xbox games on their mobile devices cause, reasons.

That makes sense tho.... Lol

Anyone that thinks SONY doesn't already have everything planned and mapped out before release is tripping. These are huge corporations, they got massive investors to please, calculate waaaay ahead the actual cost of building a console vs profit and plan financial growth for the upcoming years. Im pretty sure even 2 years ago, they knew exactly how much they would price the PS5 based on hardware costs and marketing trend. They not gonna be clueless 9 months before release and play it by ear. If anything they are cock teasing MS telling them guess what, you gonna have to reveal first again and we will drop the next day more news about the PS5 to make your presentation weak. But console pricing, its looks, psn subscription plan for next 6 years...thats all been in the books cooking and ready. Companies think 5 years ahead, not once they release a product then they start figuring out how to push it forward.

I remember months leading into PS4 and XBox One’s reveals that a lot of people thought MS was going to win.
As a PlayStation fan, I realize that even if MS loses again next gen, they’ll still Be laughing all the way to the bank like this gen.

Journey

Banned
IMHO Xbox has no chance of winning. Worldwide, PS is a monstrous force.

Sony is quiet right now so naturally, some people will think they're vulnerable, but once the PS5 reveal and later TLOU pt 2 comes, then it'll be business as usual

...but then you remembered how the PS2 was and still is the best selling console of all time, crushing the OG XBOX to smitherines, no way in hell this so called Xbox 360 (more like Xbox 1.5) will stand a chance... and then you saw a Giant Enemy Crab, and it was at this moment... when you knew... you fucked up.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I remember months leading into PS4 and XBox One’s reveals that a lot of people thought MS was going to win.
As a PlayStation fan, I realize that even if MS loses again next gen, they’ll still Be laughing all the way to the bank like this gen.
Yeah right a repeat generation and the games division at MS is shutting down. There no laughing to the bank for MS this generation. Anything less than 60 million next generation and lights outs for Phil and the rest of the games division. A few 10 dollar sales on PC is not going to make enough money to keep the lights on. The only ones laughing to the bank is Sony. Nintendo conceded the market going mobile hand held only it was a good move for them. Sucks for gamers since we are a inch from a Sony monopoly. I say that its almost certain at this point. MS will pull out after series x does not reach 60 million and the suits see that only gabe and a few free to play game makers make real money on PC.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

...but the you remembered how the PS2 was and still is the best selling console of all time, crushing the OG XBOX to smitherines, no way in hell this so called Xbox 360 (more like Xbox 1.5) will stand a chance, and it was at the moment... when you knew... you fucked up.
Lol the odds of a $599 PS5 aren't likely though and there's no exotic proprietary CPU processor that gave developers hell like the cell processor in the PS3

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Patently false. Do your research. Xcloud is undoubtedly a highly anticipated function - especially since its semi out in the wild with mostly glowing previews.
I never hear anyone talking about it especially not the masses. Series X got some hype from Hellblade 2 but Xcloud? **crickets**

sinnergy

Doesn’t matter ! MS take the loss on Series X ! Sell for 399! Announce it now!

Sony must announce 299, and will be bleeding as crazy .... 🤪

Last edited:

ksdixon

I'm certain we had the exact same stories circulating around the start of this gen, only to have Sony Execs later dismiss them because pricing decisions are made years in advance and can't just be changed on the fly like that.

Honestly, this just feels like another article where journalists seem to be obsessed with the idea that Microsoft dictate all gaming trends, and that Sony (Nintendo too to a lesser degree) make all their decisions purely in reaction to what the Xbox brand is doing.

It does feel like that. Why is there this cheerleading for MS?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
This is definatly going to be interesting, this is Phil Spencer’s first big proper console launch, yeah he had the X but that was based on the one still.

The reveal of the Xbox one was a shit show and helped Sony massivly, interesting to see that they are waiting. I suppose this is the downside to Sony not doing E3 as all those details as price and thing could of been done there and their press conference is usually after Xbox.

I like that they ain’t being arrogant and they still see Xbox as competition because we need computation in the market, that’s better for the consumer

Victorius

Neo Member
Am I the only one who is fed up with all these speculations that have been posted online recently?

Booooooooooooooooooooring.

They will reveal what and when they want to reveal. In the meantime, I am enjoying the current gen and not sitting above my crystal ball.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Calling bullshit on this. Phil has said that Minecraft was beyond their budget(of Xbox). Xbox is not acting separately, Microsoft(atleast under Nadella) is willing to pump money to Xbox when they need.
Panos Panay officially handles all hardware including Xbox(although they also report to Phil so it is complicated). Xbox System Software is part of Windows Core OS project. A lot of things are not even funded by Xbox Division. Playstation on the other hand is completely independent(Xbox used to be like that).

The actual cfo never mentions ms or xsx . All of this was the author’s interpretations
Who else Playstations direct competitor who is also launching a new console this holiday?

Ofcourse sony is playing the waiting game with MS and vice versa. A lot of things to factor in and the stakes are high. Prob won't know until E3

I think MS is more desperate to turn things around this new gen,therefore more likely to eat a bit more of a loss even with a hypothetical minor power advantage.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

Calling bullshit on this. Phil has said that Minecraft was beyond their budget(of Xbox). Xbox is not acting separately, Microsoft(atleast under Nadella) is willing to pump money to Xbox when they need.
Panos Panay officially handles all hardware including Xbox(although they also report to Phil so it is complicated). Xbox System Software is part of Windows Core OS project. A lot of things are not even funded by Xbox Division. Playstation on the other hand is completely independent(Xbox used to be like that).
I can see MS throwing out extra money for the Minecraft purchase because that game prints money but I don't think Xbox is now getting this huge backing any different from what they had before

Shmunter

No matter what the price is both consoles are overpriced VS performance
Console users are generally more well off and are happy to pay the premium for the convenience. Even paying for online play is not an issue.

Money does buy happiness. ✌🏼

Top Bottom