• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony teasing a possible Ember Lab acquisition?

assurdum

Banned
Video screams 14 year old to me. Not much else to show and fit the theme.

As a PC only player who enjoyed Kena I 100% agree.
The hell it has to do MS with the pc version of the game? The worst thing could happen under Sony it's a delayed release on pc, where MS practically exclude the double of userbase on ps5 to play it. I'm really annoyed to the Spencer hypocrisy and "I'm not interested in the console war for the contents" when he does it constantly when it's convenient for him.

Last edited:
One barely game, that seems to dissapont, but has good graphics makes a perfect fit for Sony?.

I thought you guys wanted the best of the best. This is not it.
I played it for 14 hours or so and I loved it. I’d maybe change the difficulty so younger gamers can get into it more, but I’d honestly have it down as my number 2 GOTY after Returnal.
Given a Sony 1st party budget and team growth, I think Ember lab could be something special.

yurinka

It's kind of illegal to tease an acquisition unless the deal has already been signed, is it not? It's very hard to see if Ember Lab is a public or private company, but if they're public, and this is some way to tease an acquisition, then we'd of seen something reflected in their stock prices prior to this.

That said, I highly doubt it's a sign of any acquisition; that clip was focused on Sony as a whole and with a lot of filmic/cinematic properties. So I figure they'd want to showcase gaming exclusives that would fit the bill, and of those their best choices are Rachet, Kena and Miles Morales. Apparently Sony want to improve relations with indie devs, so if they only have enough to slot two games and Miles may've been redundant due to No Way Home, pick Kena and kill two birds with one stone.

IIRC the game is still slated to come to other platforms sometime next early next year, I would be surprised if this spot in a short advert was indicative of any purchase because that'd also likely mean Sony cutting out said other platforms for getting a game it'd otherwise receive, and that would upset a decent bit of folks considering such a pre-existing deal is honored in other instances (i.e Psychonauts 2, Deathloop etc.).
Ember Lab is a new, small company. I highly doubt they are public. I think they only posted some exclusives they funded in a video, I don't see as a tease of acquisition.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

I think Kena's pretty great, and with Pixelopus hopefully releasing something exciting as well, could be good addition to more "kid-friendly" group of game studios for PS. They have enough "adult" semi-realistic story driven AAA games for the brand to be associated with it, to have more "Pixar" (heh) games for all ages would be good as well. You could also tell that public took to Kena, its trailer was much more popular than Deathloop's one.

iHaunter

Sony has already been pretty aggressive with creating new IPs. Probably the most out of any other company. The 3 studios they partnered with this year (ex. Deviation Games) are all making new IPs too.

Meanwhile they own tons of different IP that haven't been touched in many long years.
Yeah but they are a creative studio that created a new IP. Why would you have them do a remake?

ArcaneNLSC

They showcase their best products of 2021, including Kena Bridge of Spirits. Not even MLB or Destruction All Stars is given a spot.

Reaction GIF by moodman

Erm…you realize this was after they won a major award at TGA?

So did Returnal and Deathloop. Not a lot of sony studio mentions on their timelines. Kena seems to be an outlier, i noticed the same thing on launch, insomniac, media molecule, and a couple of other studios were showing a lot of love to them.

Seems like sony would love a studio more all-ages that can still be a graphical showcase for them, especially since Insomniac might be done with R&C for awhile. I remember the future games showcase got complaints for showing a lot of kid friendly games like, bugsnax, kena, ratchet, Sackboy….etc

I think sony is gonna continue to double down on its family friendly games because they do so well with nintendo, not only do they sell to people of all ages but they do well globally. Asian territories love those kind of games, I think it takes two did half its sales in China.

Thats why studios like media molecule and pixelopus are still important for them. They can’t survive off just gritty mature rated games alone

FYI it'd be more accurate to compare Kena to Starfield or Redfall if Sony has bought Ember and canned any Xbox or Switch port. Not Deathloop or Psychonauts

I don't think there were any rumors about Redfall's status at all prior to this year; even behind-the-scenes I doubt there was any sort of deal being worked out. Unless the idea is it would've been multiplat if not for the acquisition, which is likely. Then again, Sony were gunning for timed exclusives with Bethesda so that could've ended up its own kind of exclusionary thing either way in all honesty.

If they were public (ie listed) it would be obvious, so I'd say they are definitely not public. Plus, as far as I'm aware, under SEC rules they are not obliged to provide much disclosure unless it's a "material" (ie significant) acquisition. Given how tiny Ember Labs is and how gigantic Sony is, they probably don't need to provide any advance disclosure. Same was the case with purchasing Housemarque (I think SIE announced it but Sony itself didn't have to make any prior disclosure that would give it away).

Fair enough, but I figure what counts as "significant" could be up for debate. I know it's most likely WRT financials if dealing with the SEC, but there are other ways I personally think it could be looked at as.

Not that I think Ember Labs would fall under those, this is just me musing.

Honestly most people's thoughts on acquisitions and obtaining exclusives seem to change based on who does the buying. It's super annoying though. To me it's cool either way. I just wish more people here were more consistent.

Agreed; like, I'm not going to cheer on acquisition rumors regardless who it is, but once something gets announced, I'm not going to argue it being "wrong" or illegal or something dumb like that. As if a company's going to reverse course because of internet crying. I just accept that it's happened and look at it from an optimist POV, what good can come of it from there...regardless of who's doing the acquisition.

The only possible exceptions to this might be Tencent and Embracer Group, the former because of CCP ties and the latter because they seem to actually want to eat up every single company out there.

It's on PC? And it's only $40? Plus since it's release has been on sale for like under $30?

Also Sony has a history in FIlms/Animations which I understand Ember labs has done some work outside of games for them. Microsoft is not a film company nor have they any experience in animated films/TV.

So in terms of fit for a studio that primarily has been in TV/FILM Ember labs is better suited with a company like Sony. Kena is ember labs first ever game. They primarily made commercials, and short animated films.

While, again, I'm not in here to cheer on or hope/wish for an acquisition in this instance (or any rumored instance), I can see this as a good reasoning as to why a Sony acquisition of Ember Labs would make more sense logistically than by a different suitor. They do have a lot of CG work for various films, shows and adverts, and if they were ever interested in doing a CG animated series spun off from the games (or a CG film), they have the Sony Pictures and Sony Television branches there to work with. And while Sony doesn't own any anime production studios, they could lean into utilizing Crunchyroll to partner with one to do something for the IP as well, if that's what they wanted to do.

I did say a while ago that in the possibility of future mega acquisitions happening and other companies stepping into Sony's turf of making more cinematic 3P action-adventure story-driven games of comparable quality, Sony'd need to rely on their strengths of vertical integration with other entertainment fields to bolster their gaming IP. Seems like they are doing that, which would be a good move. I don't personally think that requires relying on acquisitions per-se (hence why I'm not really into talking about rumored ones, especially those on weak rumors), but that's always an option.

Ember Lab is a new, small company. I highly doubt they are public. I think they only posted some exclusives they funded in a video, I don't see as a tease of acquisition.

Yeah, it seems like they might be private. Also agreed, I don't think this video points to anything in particular happening in terms of acquisition, people are reading into it things that aren't there.

But in the off-chance something does happen next year involving it, I guess we can point back to things like this video as an incidental sign, although that might just end up being confirmation bias in this video's case.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sonys studios have been actively cheering on Ember Lab since launch also. I’ve never seen them do this for other 3rd party studios, even Housemarque got less retweets from them when Returnal came out.

Yeah bro.......it is getting a little weird now. Like even Sony's 1st party teams are congratulating them. I don't know. Maybe something is brewing.

gow3isben

Sony is obviously getting Emberlab guys come on.

Small, cheap, easy to buy, and can be infused with manpower and funds to make a legit AAA experience.

Good get but I want Remedy!

Sony is obviously getting Emberlab guys come on.

Small, cheap, easy to buy, and can be infused with manpower and funds to make a legit AAA experience.

Good get but I want Remedy!

I do think Remedy was once on their radar. Not sure after the Epic deal.

Ember is exactly what Sony is always looking for though: talented, cheap studio with no known IPs.

I do feel like next year will be even more intense for them in terms of acquisitions. We got 6 studios since June. No way did i predict that last year...

While, again, I'm not in here to cheer on or hope/wish for an acquisition in this instance (or any rumored instance), I can see this as a good reasoning as to why a Sony acquisition of Ember Labs would make more sense logistically than by a different suitor. They do have a lot of CG work for various films, shows and adverts, and if they were ever interested in doing a CG animated series spun off from the games (or a CG film), they have the Sony Pictures and Sony Television branches there to work with. And while Sony doesn't own any anime production studios, they could lean into utilizing Crunchyroll to partner with one to do something for the IP as well, if that's what they wanted to do.

Kena: Bridge Of Spirits Sequel Is Unlikely, According To Ember Labs​

Specifically, Josh Grier advised:

I don’t know if we will do a direct sequel next. It may be another IP, in the same style—in terms of gameplay and the story-driven experience.
Despite this, they did confirm that they'd be interested in expanding Kena across different mediums, believing their universe "has a lot of storytelling potential." Whether they'll get that chance remains to be seen, and we'll keep you informed as we learn more.

Exploring and taking it into a more linear experience like a TV show or film is a possibility,” Josh added.

Last edited:

yurinka

Yeah, it seems like they might be private. Also agreed, I don't think this video points to anything in particular happening in terms of acquisition, people are reading into it things that aren't there.

But in the off-chance something does happen next year involving it, I guess we can point back to things like this video as an incidental sign, although that might just end up being confirmation bias in this video's case.
I think it's very likely that the next step would be Sony funding their next project, maybe now as a 2nd party game. A project slightly bigger than Kena. If it works, then they may publish them another game, and if it also works then to acquire them.

Sony doesn't dev studios who only gave them a single (timed?) console exclusive, and that it was their first game. They buy dev studios who had a way longer relationship with them. In the case of Firesprite & Fabrik indirectly, because many of them came from places like Sony Liverpool or Evolution.

Regarding gamedev studios I think Sony may acquire more support studios. Plus one or two specialized in F2P, the Asian market or mobile (or all 3 things at the same time), since they want to bring their IPs to mobile and to grow in Asia (maybe via F2P on PC and mobile).

I think they could acquire too some other traditional gaming studio, but I think that in that case it would be someone strategically important (someone who covers an important niche they don't control from the exclusive sides with other studios) who already made many exclusives for them and I only see Sony doing it as a defensive move like to avoid seeing them being acquired by MS or someone who would want to stop them from doing PS exclusives.

And I don't think anybody fills that, maybe Square with JRPGs or Capcom with different things (but I think they're too huge and won't want/don't need to sell), ARC with anime fighting games (but Sony already gets a ton of exclusive fighting games and most anime games don't have huge sales), Kojipro (but I think after a few games Kojima will retire) or Quantic Dream (but they are too focused now on being multi and have the huge Star Wars IP that will help them grow a lot so won't want/need to sell).

So I think that being realistic, maybe their next acquisition will be maybe Lucid to integrate it into Firesprite as they did with Fabrik, to continue their rebuilding of Sony Liverpool + Evolution + Bizarre Creations into a single huge studio.

Last edited:
I think it's very likely that the next step would be Sony funding their next project, maybe now as a 2nd party game. A project slightly bigger than Kena. If it works, then to publish them another game, and if it also works then to acquire them.

Sony doesn't dev studios who only gave them a single (timed?) console exclusive, and that it was their first game. They buy dev studios who had a way longer relationship with them. In the case of Firesprite & Fabrik indirectly, because many of them came from places like Sony Liverpool or Evolution.
They pretty much bought media molecule after one game

Doom85

So did Returnal and Deathloop. Not a lot of sony studio mentions on their timelines. Kena seems to be an outlier, i noticed the same thing on launch, insomniac, media molecule, and a couple of other studios were showing a lot of love to them.

Seems like sony would love a studio more all-ages that can still be a graphical showcase for them, especially since Insomniac might be done with R&C for awhile. I remember the future games showcase got complaints for showing a lot of kid friendly games like, bugsnax, kena, ratchet, Sackboy….etc

I think sony is gonna continue to double down on its family friendly games because they do so well with nintendo, not only do they sell to people of all ages but they do well globally. Asian territories love those kind of games, I think it takes two did half its sales in China.

Thats why studios like media molecule and pixelopus are still important for them. They can’t survive off just gritty mature rated games alone

Where were the complaints about the family-friendly games being featured in the showcases? Here in Gaf? I legit don’t know, every YouTube reaction I saw to Ratchet and Kena were very positive.

And if people were complaining on Gaf, for fucks sake. God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, Resident Evil 8, Ghostwire, Returnal, Deathloop, etc. Heaven forbid there be some games lighter in tone and/or style to balance things out.

yurinka

They pretty much bought media molecule after one game
Technically yes, they are the exception. But Media Molecule was founded with top talent from Lionhead o Bullfrog, who also made another PS3 console exclusive (Rag Doll Kung-Fu) in their free time before founding Media Molecule.

I agree, but remember they also have stuff like Astro plus their family/casual Playlink/VR games plus many family friendly 3rd party (often timed and/or console) exclusives specially in the indie side.

They are also growing a lot all their internal studios, and that includes Insomniac, Media Molecule, Team Asobi or Pixel Opus. Regarding Insomniac, Spider-Man and Wolverine seem to be handled by the Spider-Man and Morales teams, they seem to have another team for Ratchet and som epeople doing their VR/AR stuff. I'm pretty sure we'll get another Ratchet (or a similar new IP from the Rift Apart team) this generation.

I think they won't need acquisitions for family friendly stuff. If something, I think they may sign a 2nd party game with the Kena guys.

Last edited:

Elios83

Sonys studios have been actively cheering on Ember Lab since launch also. I’ve never seen them do this for other 3rd party studios, even Housemarque got less retweets from them when Returnal came out.

Yeah something is up or at the very least they are very happy working with them and with the results they got with Kena which is obviously a necessary condition to be considered for an acquisition.
I wouldn't be surprised if they get acquired.
It's not even clear what happened with Bluepoint where things were pretty much done (and spoiled by an official tweet) but officially announced only months later.
So there's a precedent for acquisitions being kept under wraps.

Last edited:
Yeah something is up or at the very least they are very happy working with them and with the results they got with Kena which is obviously a necessary condition to be considered for an acquisition.
I wouldn't be surprised if they get acquired.
It's not even clear what happened with Bluepoint where things were pretty much done (and spoiled by an official tweet) but officially announced only months later.
So there's a precedent for acquisitions being kept under wraps.

Yeah don’t forget the housemarque leak also from the Returnal support studio. They hinted 4-5 months before acquisition that they were officially under Sony.

Last edited:

FranXico

Yeah, everything mentioned is par de course for a developer signing a partnership for a first party game.
There's nothing more to it, people are reading too much into it.

kyliethicc

I should also state that's Greg Rice behind Shu in the photo who is the Head of PlayStation Creators. Shu and Greg were also with Ember Lab during The Game Awards as well as posted back in December.
Shu and Rice run PS Indies. Its for 3rd party games, like Kena.

Nothing to do with 1st party and acquisitions. That's Hulst's thing.

kyliethicc

How many other indie devs do they take pictures with?
Kena is the only game under Shuhei's portfolio that has been nominated for awards.

Greg Rice still has a pretty important role in terms of things and given he's been to at least 2 award events with Ember Lab and Shu it seemed important to point out who he was just for context ;).
It could indicate that Ember Lab's next game will also be a moneyhat like Kena. Nothing more.

yurinka

Shu with the replying tweet

I should also state that's Greg Rice behind Shu in the photo who is the Head of PlayStation Creators. Shu and Greg were also with Ember Lab during The Game Awards as well as posted back in December.

Just to add some context: Greg Rice and Shu are in charge of curating and helping (marketing, PR, maybe some funding, etc) indies on PlayStation. And with indies I mean 'small' 3rd party games, not published by Sony.

Kena is one of the many projects they did help. They know each other, so also send congrats when they get nominated, announce they got great sales (Sifu), post selfies together when they see each other at events, etc.

It doesn't mean they will buy them. The -3rd party- indies team from Shu and Greg is unrelated to the internal studios from SIE (Jimbo), or PS Studios (Hermen).

Last edited:
Top Bottom