• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Wanted to Buy Black Myth Wukong’s Studio + New Trailer Before February 1st

Unreal 4 is currently known to cost about $3 million an hour to develop.

Eh?

NHDMNM5.gif

Belthazar

What the fuck is the 3 million an hour shit? I've never seen any kind of game described like that. Do they mean an hour of playtime? That makes zero fucking sense.

They probably mean and hour of playtime. But still, I thought Unreal 5 was supposed to have tools that make development easier and faster... which would result in it being cheaper I'd imagine.

Zok310

Banned
Doubth. Giant corp comes up to you and say hey "here is more cash than you will ever know, lets work together", only for smaller company to turn around and say "nah im good". in what fucking reality?
I want receipts, show me the emails and private messages.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Tat 3 million an hour metric sounds pretty fishy. I don't think you can estimate development costs like that.

Other than that bring the video! Very interested in what they have to show.

Lunarorbit

And my uncle works at Nintendo. AMA.
Yeah we've been getting a lot of the anonymous reddit sources say....

I'm glad Sony wasn't able to get them just because I'm tired of 3rd person action games. I need to take a break after getting halfway thru guardians of the galaxy

skneogaf

All i know is this game looks great and Sony would allow them to spend as much time as needed so wouldn't have been a terrible thing but I'm hoping to buy this on pc so I'd prefer them to stay as they are.

TrueLegend

Good thing because American homogenisation is awful for games. If Sony brought it we will see the games protogonist in chains serving as a pet to a black girl with pink hair or blue streak. I wanna see stuff from more cultures free from American or European dilution for example cultural misappropriation of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and God of War. I would like to experience elements of Chinese culture in a respectful way the way Ghost of Tsushima respected Japanese Culture but now I am hearing all the talk of studio of how Sony's European overlord wanted a black lead. White, Black, Women fuck all that forced American perspective in non American stories. I want sensible protogonist not political puppets.

Last edited:
This game is going to get squashed by the Chinese government sooner or later. I thought they pretty much tried to Sanatize anything historical / mythical?

TonyK

I'm glad Sony wasn't able to get them just because I'm tired of 3rd person action games. I need to take a break after getting halfway thru guardians of the galaxy

Problem is not the type of game, it's the quality of games. Guardians of the Galaxy is a 6, at best, but it's receiving praise because it's pretty and characters don't stop talking.

After beating Guardians of the Galaxy I started Kena and what a difference! Game is amazing, a 3rd person action adventure game like they were before crafting, intrusive UI, monetization and whatever. A game with cinematics, not a movie with gameplay.

Elios83

The game looks really promising at least graphics wise. I think it's a very impressive UE5 showcase.
Hopefully it's not just smoke with carefully crafted/in-engine trailers and no substance.

Elios83

Sony took years to buy Insominiac, a studio that they have been working closely for years and years releasing hits.

Suddenly a unknown studio shows a few minutes of a game and Sony tries to buy them?

Sarcastic Yeah Right GIF by MOODMAN
The story is almost certainly fabricated.
Unfortunately these days everyone can make up stuff on Twitter or Reddit and everyone share it just to get a round of hits/likes.

But the project is interesting and it's worth of attention if the trailers are genuine real time gameplay stuff.

CamHostage

I'm guessing they mean per hour of game length, but that's still a weird-ass metric that can fluctuate wildly depending on the type of game and how much you re-use...

A linear action game where you're charting X miles of player progress along a God of War-type directional map, I could see charting it that way by budget (though I agree, it's a corny metric.)

I could see looking at a project layout as, We have # bosses planned, each boss will need X miles of lead-up combat/puzzle scenarios based on our movement/traversal system, each of those miles will need Y number of original assets to fill the course (including YY number of landmark assets rendered at an extra-high level of detail,) average is W number of different enemies to populate map (including WW number of unique enemies added to that area,) and so the X/Y/Z math for a certain size of staff might feel like it matches up to how the budget is being eaten into.

(Movies and television do a similar thing; they go by pagecount, so a 120-page script is probably about 2 hours on screen... which seems insane to think it works would work out that way given how different scripts can be and sometimes 12 minutes of screentime is just written as "They fight.", but the page-per-minute adage does hold up more often than it should.)

...Any other type of game design, though, and it doesn't work at all.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Unreal 4 is currently known to cost about $3 million an hour to develop. The game studio revealed that Unreal 5 is much more expensive than Unreal 4.

Not sure why that would make a difference, given that this is an active production working in UE4 and evaluating/transitioning to UE5?

If it was taped out from day one as a next-gen-caliber UE5 project and asset production was all at a high level on a "experimental" development kit (UE5 launched surprisingly stable but it's still only so much ready for real work while Epic is still getting it fully production-ready, and particularly Lumen has quirks that everybody is still trying to get a handle on even though it's great at heart,) then sure, it could get costly. But right now I don't see that they would be using UE5 more than as an enhancement of their UE4 work? (I'm not a developer, but I haven't heard stories yet of developers completely altering their development approach and pipeline to account for UE5, it's still been a lot of "We're using this on that and using that on some of this and we're falling back to the old way where needed and that works out fine.") And the Nanite-enabled assets are full-scale out of the modeling tool (depending on what you have room for) so you're already building for that rich level of detail on say a complex statue or palace, it's just that in UE4, you would have to hack it down and optimize it to fit, whereas UE5 conceivably is a lot less of that work. (I assume there's a lot more talk of "it just works" than it actually working out that easy, of course.)

I just don't see how you could make a game yet that's "much more expensive" than what you'd budget for already on a high-end UE4 project. UE4 is no horse-and-buggy engine, and AAA is AAA as far as production methods go. I've yet to hear from anybody who would say, "UE4, that was easy compared to this...", but maybe the increase of micro-detail scale is really starting to add up already?

Last edited:
Top Bottom