• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Wanted to Buy Black Myth Wukong’s Studio + New Trailer Before February 1st

EDMIX

The Chinese government put a stop to those thoughts I'd guess.

Agreed. I'm willing to consider any rumor on a buyout if it makes sense as theses are wild times and anything can happen, but the moment someone starts entertaining a company buying another studio FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY, nahhhhhhhh

This is where shit gets dicey.

I'm not an expert in this by any means, but to my understanding....many countries have different laws many of which that can block another country from buying a company. I'd argue, its more likely China can buy an American game company or Japan can buy an American game company, then America can buy a Chinese or Japanese company. In America its like, we don't give a fuck lol You have money? ok.....how soon can you pay us? I was shocked when heard about some deal went thru years ago of a company in China buying an American company, but being being a fucking newb didn't know that was normal for China to do that, simply not the other way around.

So I'd believe someone if they tell me a rumor of like Tencent wants buy an American studio.

I how ever would not believe a rumor about an American company buying a studio from China. I don't know 100% how that shit works, but I do know when it goes country to country, that shit gets into a grey area lol

E Elios83 Agreed. We don't even fucking know if the game will be good, I have a hard time believing Sony would waste time with a studio they might not even be able to buy based on being in China, on a game that has never come out, based on a trailer.

That sounds......unlikely.

Last edited:

ryzen1

Is this their first game ever?
Looking at the previous acquisitions, it is very unlikely that Sony is interested in a studio that hasn't had any significant output.

Lupin25

Good thing because American homogenisation is awful for games. If Sony brought it we will see the games protogonist in chains serving as a pet to a black girl with pink hair or blue streak. I wanna see stuff from more cultures free from American or European dilution for example cultural misappropriation of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and God of War. I would like to experience elements of Chinese culture in a respectful way the way Ghost of Tsushima respected Japanese Culture but now I am hearing all the talk of studio of how Sony's European overlord wanted a black lead. White, Black, Women fuck all that forced American perspective in non American stories. I want sensible protogonist not political puppets.

I’m sorry, what?

Ghost of Tsushima is a Sony-produced game, but if Sony developed this game (Black Myth) they would ruin it becauseee…?

That’s some logic…

When has Sony done this lol?

Lupin25

Agreed. I'm willing to consider any rumor on a buyout if it makes sense as theses are wild times and anything can happen, but the moment someone starts entertaining a company buying another studio FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY, nahhhhhhhh

This is where shit gets dicey.

I'm not an expert in this by any means, but to my understanding....many countries have different laws many of which that can block another country from buying a company. I'd argue, its more likely China can buy an American game company or Japan can buy an American game company, then America can buy a Chinese or Japanese company. In America its like, we don't give a fuck lol You have money? ok.....how soon can you pay us? I was shocked when heard about some deal went thru years ago of a company in China buying an American company, but being being a fucking newb didn't know that was normal for China to do that, simply not the other way around.

So I'd believe someone if they tell me a rumor of like Tencent wants buy an American studio.

I how ever would not believe a rumor about an American company buying a studio from China. I don't know 100% how that shit works, but I do know when it goes country to country, that shit gets into a grey area lol

E Elios83 Agreed. We don't even fucking know if the game will be good, I have a hard time believing Sony would waste time with a studio they might not even be able to buy based on being in China, on a game that has never come out, based on a trailer.

That sounds......unlikely.

Yup, stringent Japanese/Chinese merger laws…

Plus, Sony wouldn’t outright purchase a studio which has yet to produce a game for them either.

They probably vied for exclusivity instead.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I’m sorry, what?

Ghost of Tsushima is a Sony-produced game, but if Sony developed this game (Black Myth) they would ruin it becauseee…?

That’s some logic…

When has Sony done this lol?

My favorite is when they are like "if Sony buy dis, the will just turn it into wokes cause american culturez, now Ghost Of Tsushima, now who ever published that game, THATS the publisher needed for this type of thing, yup....fuck sOnY" lolz

You can't make this shit up man. How the fuck does someone worry about Sony buying a team, only to then praise a Sony Published game, hoping this game is handled that way....disregards who made Ghost Of Tsushima.

Finds out Sony made Ghost Of Tsushima

surprised-black.gif

I kid you not, I was just talking about how most gamers don't really know who make their games annnnnnnnnd here we go.

Last edited:

Felessan

Doubth. Giant corp comes up to you and say hey "here is more cash than you will ever know, lets work together", only for smaller company to turn around and say "nah im good". in what fucking reality?
I want receipts, show me the emails and private messages.
Tencent tried to buy stake in Mihoyo prior of Genshin release only to be turned down. If smaller company confident in it's ability - there is no point in selling itself cheap.

This game is going to get squashed by the Chinese government sooner or later. I thought they pretty much tried to Sanatize anything historical / mythical?
A large part of Chinese fiction media, games included, are historical/mythical. To the point that it's implied to have historical/mythical references to promote chinese culture.

Lupin25

My favorite is when they are like "if Sony buy dis, the will just turn it into wokes cause american culturez, now Ghost Of Tsushima, now who ever published that game, THATS the publisher needed for this type of thing, yup....fuck sOnY" lolz

You can't make this shit up man. How the fuck does someone worry about Sony buying a team, only to then praise a Sony Published game, hoping this game is handled that way....disregards who made Ghost Of Tsushima.

Finds out Sony made Ghost Of Tsushima

surprised-black.gif

I kid you not, I was just talking about how most gamers don't really know who make their games annnnnnnnnd here we go.

We’ve seen it all now! But maybe he’s confused, maybe that’s his shtick…

“Guy who has Final Fantasy avatar hates Sony?”

“Guy enjoys faithful history of GOT, but thinks all of Sony’s games are politically driven?”

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

Wtf? 😅

It baffles me, that’s why you have to pick & choose your interactions with certain special folk here LOL.

And that’s concerning knowing the fact we’re on a general enthusiast board for gaming. That’s GAF now, I guess…

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Problem is not the type of game, it's the quality of games. Guardians of the Galaxy is a 6, at best, but it's receiving praise because it's pretty and characters don't stop talking.

After beating Guardians of the Galaxy I started Kena and what a difference! Game is amazing, a 3rd person action adventure game like they were before crafting, intrusive UI, monetization and whatever. A game with cinematics, not a movie with gameplay.
I stopped using the special that has them come into a huddle cause they don't shut up. I like comics and the gog movies but Holy shit was that irritating. Personally I didn't think it ran that well, way to button mashy.

Glad to hear that about kena. I bought that last week but haven't started it yet. Has the same "feel" as the medieval remake (which has been en sitting on my shelf for 2 years).

Top Bottom