• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony will not be deleting Discovery TV shows, have updated liscensing agreement with Warner

Topher

Gold Member
Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony: "Oh shit! Gamers pissed and the news is spreading across game sites. Looks like we couldnt sneak this one by them with only 3 weeks notice while people are focusing on the holidays. Someone in the licensing department get hold of your contact at Discovery and hammer out a deal ASAP please!"
------------------------
PlayStation will no longer be removing over 1,300 Discovery TV shows from its platform next month.

Sony had previously announced that users will not be able to watch Discovery content on PlayStation from December 31, even if they had already purchased it.

However, the firm now says that due to an 'updated licensing agreement' with Warner Bros -- which owns the Discovery brand -- consumers will now be able to access their previously purchased shows 'for at least the next 30 months'.

"Similar to other services, we do not own the licensing rights to TV/movie content that was previously available for purchase on PlayStation Store," PlayStation stated in the update. "However, we’ve worked with Warner Bros to update our licensing agreements, ensuring that consumers will be able

Last edited:

HoodWinked

this was just a trial run for when they do it again, there will be less and less outrage successively due to attrition. just no one wanted to take the heat for the first one. Sony owns alot of IPs and especially music they have alot to gain from being able to pull rights from their end.

Robb

Gold Member
That’s good I guess, but the issue isn’t resolved. They’ve just dragged out the timeline.

In 30 months all your purchased content could still be removed.

LRKD

It's good to see them backdown. It's sickening they thought they could do this in the first place. Only a matter of time before this same issue pops up again in the future. We need better consumer rights for digital products.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's good to see them backdown. It's sickening they thought they could do this in the first place. Only a matter of time before this same issue pops up again in the future. We need better consumer rights for digital products.
It'll pop up again in 30 months, since the new deal isn't a permanent fix.

X-Wing

That’s good I guess, but the issue isn’t resolved. They’ve just dragged out the timeline.

In 30 months all your purchased content could still be removed.
That is always the case for digital licensees though? Joke is on the people buying them

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That is always the case for digital licensees though?
Nope, Steam's norm for one is that even if something is taken off service it remains in your library if you purchased it (unless of course it's illegal content or something similar they can't allow folks keep). I still have all my delisted games (but there have probably been exceptions to this rule).

Shit tends to be different for shows/movies I guess and I have no clue how Steam handles that especially since they seem to be deprecating that aspect of their store altogether as I never bought anything like that there but yeah, it's not, shouldn't be and doesn't have to be the norm for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom