• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z5, Z5 Compact & Z5 Premium (First 4k Display on Phone) Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vodh

I bought a Z3 this January and if Sony's mobile division is still around in 16 months I'll probably get their next flagship. Unless something else completely sweeps the market off its feet of course.

Usobuko

Banned
Sony-Xperia-Z5-family_1-640x360.jpg

original.jpg

They really went all out on the finishes.

Dont even know which is the hottest. The Metal Gear-ish matt or the chrome mirror.

Damn.

Irminsul

I'm puzzled as to why they just revealed their new lineup now of all times. They should have either waited a week or done it earlier since by next week most of the media will forget that these exist.
Because they did so at IFA, a tech trade show in Germany? It's really not that puzzling…

Jonnax

Ahhhh. The Z5 may just have to become mine. I've currently got the OnePlus One and after only a year the battery is shot lasting about half a day.

DOWN

Banned
I'm surprised people are saying Sony should stop making phones. As a staunch iPhone user, Sony is the only Android line I'd be happy to use. In fact, I hope Apple leans back toward the sharp designs Sony has. They're gorgeous phones.

Irminsul

Btw., according to German IT news site Heise, it's not clear whether the Z5 Premium even displays 4K content natively in any situation. Apparently, Sony confirmed all current apps will only output 1080p, and even Sony's website isn't very clear on what really is 4K besides display panel and video capture. Or whether 4K VR will ever be possible.

Mindwipe

Btw., according to German IT news site Heise, it's not clear whether the Z5 Premium even displays 4K content natively in any situation. Apparently, Sony confirmed all current apps will only output 1080p, and even Sony's website isn't very clear on what really is 4K besides display panel and video capture. Or whether 4K VR will ever be possible.

I thought it was established that it only plays video and displays images in 4k. Everything else is 1080.

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't get some 4K video playback apps, so there's presumably a way for apps to trigger the mode switch and a VR app could do that.

Giever

Lol, I'm on Verizon and I was reading that the Z4v was gonna come out September 3rd, so I've been waiting for that. Now I see this on the same fucking day, smh

Because they did so at IFA, a tech trade show in Germany? It's really not that puzzling…
I know, but with the mobile media right now just anticipating for next week they should have shown it at another trade show maybe. Are there any other tech conferences later this fall?

demented

I have a Z2 and there is zero wrong with it but am getting upgraditus seeing this...

Same here.. The premium is one sexy phone, I'll wait ~6 months and then decide tho, by then the price should be way down, and I only just bought z2 last summer

vivftp

I know, but with the mobile media right now just anticipating for next week they should have shown it at another trade show maybe. Are there any other tech conferences later this fall?

Sony has been announcing phones at IFA for years, and there is zero reason to change that.

It's an event where the media is already focused on it, and it would be stupid to avoid that.

adz2ka

IFA is the biggest tech consumer exhibition in Europe and regularly rivals CES as the biggest in the world...

trixx

Sharp aquos phone was stunning, galaxy edge is beautiful but this phone is easily one of the best looking phones I've ever seen. Still wouldn't consider buying it due to the poor history I've had with Sony phones and the amount of problems that have been cited to occur with even their new er phones. Want to see how nexus 5 refresh is.

Fezan

Sharp aquos phone was stunning, galaxy edge is beautiful but this phone is easily one of the best looking phones I've ever seen. Still wouldn't consider buying it due to the poor history I've had with Sony phones and the amount of problems that have been cited to occur with even their new er phones.
I think there can be issues with individual phones. Like my note 3 had tons of issues. It became a laggy crashing shit after some updates. Battery life went to shit and chrome on sides completely wore off. On the other hand my Xperia z2 is as good as new. Only slight issue one flap is lose which I can replace for 10$.

vivftp

Between the Z5 and Note 5 samples on GSM Arena the Z5 seems to have more detail and overall more vibrant colours, but does have more visible noise. The Note 5 pictures are softer and in comparison look a tad blurrier, but there is a lot less noise.

Both cameras have trade-offs. Of course we'd need a side by side comparison to be done. The pictures we're comparing were taken on separate days under different lighting conditions.

Overall, I'd say both are very good for phone cameras, but they each have their strengths over the other. It's also worth noting that the Z5 is a pre-production unit, so software is almost certainly not finalized. Also, Sony is said to be rolling out new camera software in November in a post-launch update. We don't yet know if this new software will only affect the interface, or the JPEG processing as well.

ViciousDS

Banned
No blue or orange version makes me a sad panda :(
€599,- Z5 Compact
€699,- Z5
€799,- Z5 Premium

Those are the European prices.

That's......pricy, probably because of the display. Looks like I'm waiting, but damn is the white one sexy as hell.

RM8

Oh gawd the Compact looks awesome in yellow. I'd consider going back to Android, really, it's not like iPhones are small anymore :(

demented

Did the quality of Z series go down after Z2? I've had it fall sooo many times on all sorts of surfaces and not a scratch on it. Granted I have a case, small bumper that covers back too, but considering how much it falls for me it's an ok trade off for not having a beautiful phone uncovered.

P.S. Just few days ago I threw it hard on granite floor (anger issues) and nothing.

reKon

Banned
Did the quality of Z series go down after Z2? I've had it fall sooo many times on all sorts of surfaces and not a scratch on it. Granted I have a case, small bumper that covers back too, but considering how much it falls for me it's an ok trade off for not having a beautiful phone uncovered.

P.S. Just few days ago I threw it hard on granite floor (anger issues) and nothing.

if you do the same thing with Z3 line, the phone will probably explode and the glass will kill you

Maybe this line of Xperia phones doesn't shatter by itself while lying on a surface.

Would have loved to buy a Z3 compact if it hadn't been for that widespread issue.

Doesn't seem to stop people buying iPhone's I've managed to drop my z2 on hard surfaces more than I can remember but no cracks to the front or back as yet lost a waterproof seal tho.

vivftp

Damn, video recording on the Z5 is leaps and bounds better than the Z3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwZWrsyUAok

No more washed out looking image, better colour accuracy, better stabilization, better sharpness...

Yeah, contrary to my previous posts, I think I'll give serious consideration to the Z5 Premium. Just gotta wait for info on Canadian availability

lachesis

No more washed out looking image, better colour accuracy, better stabilization, better sharpness...

Yeah, contrary to my previous posts, I think I'll give serious consideration to the Z5 Premium. Just gotta wait for info on Canadian availability

Nice improvement. Hope the pictures are better too!
I was dead set on keeping my Z3C, but now I'm little zealous.... must..fight..the..urge.

My plan so far is to get Z7C (if sony keeps churning out compacts every 2nd gen, and if they are not out of business) - which is likely to have some variant of rumored SD820... and if anything goes, the camera would probably stay the same (Z1-Z4 kept same camera sensor, I believe)...

Schrade

Wow! That video stabilization is amazing. Some really good quality there.

I really think sony should just axe their mobile dept.

Replaced by who, Samsung or LG ? No thanks buddy !

Sony makes the best Android phones imo. They do have their problems, i never said otherwise but they're totally solid, elegant and beautiful phones only rivaled by Apple design, again imo.

What if i'm looking for a waterproof phone ? Samsung ? lol please... They went from the not so good waterproof in the Galaxy 5 and totally scrapped it in the 6. They even took the SD card slot out and made it more like the iPhone when nobody asked for this.

Sony have a distribution and marketing problem. This is where they need to focus their energy. Their phones are already amazing.

Brandson

I have a Z2 phone and like it quite a lot. Things I don't like: there is some internal coating on the screen (like an internal screen protector) that has developed some air bubbles which can't be smoothed out, and I've been living with that for about a year. For any Z3 owners, have any of you had that problem? I think it was a problem with the Z1 as well. Hopefully it doesn't return in the Z5.

It would also be nice if it had more internal storage. Shame the Z5 is stuck at 32GB internal still. Is it really harder to put 64 or 128GB in there than to put a 4K display on it?

sirap

Z3 compact is boss as fuck. I feel sorry for American users, wish Sony actually released their phones there.

Can't wait to get my hands on the new compact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom