• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur II appreciation thread

Matlock

Banned
Truly, a game that has it all. Hand to hand assbeating on the PS2, shitty McFarlane stuff on the Xbox, and Link on the GC? Plus a full cast of characters that all rocked?

Link was probably my favorite to play as, as he had some really well rounded stats. Plus...! Long range projectiles! Rock!

Taki. Blazingly fast, immediately deadly, and the best character in the game. You go up, you fuck their shit up, then go retreat. When it's all said and done, you'll be the only one standing. Bonus points for hard nipples!

...and finally...

Astaroth. Fucking worthless character. Too big, too slow, and not powerful enough. Nightmare makes him redundant, but eh.

SO ROCK ON, GAF. ROCK ON WITH SOUL CALIBUR II, NO MATTER WHAT CONSOLE.

Matlock said:
Astaroth. Fucking worthless character. Too big, too slow, and not powerful enough. Nightmare makes him redundant, but eh.
Heh, tell that to the guy who just got a tattoo of him plastered on his back for the rest of his life. :)

Eh, the first had more of an effect on me. I think I'd still be playing that game if SCII never came out. SCII is still a great game though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Squirrel Killer said:
Heh, tell that to the guy who just got a tattoo of him plastered on his back for the rest of his life. :)

Somebody needs to the him to put his shirt back on as well.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll probably be real stupid in the next month and snag the GC version on the cheap just to finally try out Link. I got the PS2 version not long ago, and had some good times playing Heihachi, especially coming off of playing around with him in Tekken 5, translates pretty well.

But yea, it's largely my fav 3D fighter.

Tain

I've had fun with this game when VF:Evo or Third Strike isn't being played. Still can't tell if I like it more than Soul Calibur or not.

mariohat

Banned
I'll get flamed but... SC2 > VF4 :D

Best fighter this gen IMO, even if weapon master wasn't the most fun I've ever had. Soo moany hours lost on this game, at least 8 hours a day for about a month and a half straight. I actually felt better playing it on GC than on PS2, because the D-pad was connected and I like the button setup better. It just seemed easier. SC3 will be mine soon :) And just for the record...

Xianghua, Nightmare, Assasin and Maxi > * ; )

Edit: And in regards to people using Nightmare, the Rock Splitter has got to be the most overpowered move in the game for what it can do. A vertical move that you can't sidestep, but yet can take about a 20-28 % of your health.

Finaika

Ya Taki rox, but I freakin' hate Link, its like having Sonic in a KOF game and he steals all the limelight from the original characters ugggghhhhhhhhhh.

I still play this at the arcades, its damn fun. But I think Nightmare is quite overpowered. Can't wait for SCIII bwahahhaha...

Link

The Autumn Wind
Link's throw was notoriously cheap in regards to ring outs, but boy did it ever make getting through those dungeons so much less tedious.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Matlock said:

That tattoo has awesome particle effects... wait a minute.. ewwwww

Matlock said:

:lol :lol :lol No.

Softer than the steamroller that was SC1 Asty, but so much was there to play with. Fishing for 66[A], Bs; running push 66Bs; BG~4, 2B fun; fishing for GI's. Knockaway to edge ABs even. And ah, the FC 3AB:BG; gotta love it.

Sai

The soundtrack was fantastic. Still looking around for that extended version of Maze of the Blade.

Mihail

Banned
Asto is a grown-ass man. You don't talk about him like that.

Firstly, he's one of the better fighters in the game.
Secondly, he plays closer to Ivy than to Nightmare.

Maxi is the best, was the best, and allways will be the most ass kicking character in the whole GD series...

still cant fucking belive they did shit all to him in the second game....where were my extra costumes? where was my 2 nunchaku's from the special video from the original DC version?

maxi.jpg

MAXI OWNS YOU !!

You just dont know where that shits commin at you, flailing around and all sorts of crazy shit. my main goal half the time, was to just go the whole match without him stopping swinging the thing...

i love Soul Calibur...i gotta go play it now.

I just wanted to say that fucking horrible McFarlane creation, Necrid, pretty much ruined the whole game for him. Never have I ever hoped for a code that would take away a character in a game before.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
For people who really appreciate it, mine is going up for sale soon to secure funds for SC III!

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Wow, no mention of the baddest bitch:
sc2-ivy2.jpg

And also, for the record, Rock in his Conan The Barbarian black paint get-up still owns all.

Unison

I hate the Vs. screen in Soul Calibur 2. I hate how the fighters animate there before they start fighting. I really can't stand it for some reason...

Himuro said:
Overrated fighter that gets boring as fuck.

VF4 plz.
Hmm, I felt the exact opposite... I realize I'm in the minority here.

VF4 was way too boring for me...especially the characters. Are undead pirates boring?

HELL NO.

Himuro said:
True. But see, I never have anyone to play multiplayer games with, no matter how many fighters I have, thus I base the awesomeness of a fighting game on it's single player mode.
I know what you mean. None of my friends will play SC with me cause I always beat them...and I am terrible at the game compared to people who play a lot of fighters. Darn, if only SC3 was online, we could get some competition going!

Maybe SC4 for 360...

Finaika

Oh god, here comes the obligatory "VF4 is da best 3D fighter EVAAAA!!!!!!!" everytime we start a non-VF 3D fighting game thread...

Teal'c

I sucked at the game. Even though I beat it entirely, whenever I go against a human I get my ass kicked. I end up falling in love with a few good moves and they try to sprinkle in more complex stuff. I'd usually end up screwing them up and then losing momentum. Not a bad game though if the person you play against sucks as much as you do.

Top Bottom