• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlas Fallen | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

fMg8YWOU.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Atlas Fallen

Platforms:

• PC (Aug 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Aug 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Aug 10, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Deck13

Publisher: Focus Entertainment

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 67 average - 27% recommended - 47 reviews

nv0T0g5.png

Critic Reviews​

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 80 / 100
Atlas Fallen is an action-adventure RPG that evokes a sense of nostalgia for classic hits while also infusing the genre with a refreshing and unique touch.

Attack of the Fanboy - Marc Magrini - 4 / 5
Despite all of its flaws in story, visuals, and even design, Atlas Fallen excels simply as a video game.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 7.5 / 10
Ultimately, while Atlas Fallen‘s narrative is a bit of a hit-and-miss, it still offers players, especially action RPG fans, a highly engaging gameplay experience in a well-crafted world.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 4 / 10
Atlas Fallen is a hard game to recommend. Between janky controls and a really rough-feeling platforming system, it feels like it fights you every step of the way.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 68 / 100
Like in their earlier games, Deck 13 Interactive is definitely punching above their weight. If this results in some moments of unexpected awesomeness, it also results in some rough patches and missing polish.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 7.3 / 10
Atlas Fallen is a difficult case. On the one hand, there's great surfing through the sand, fun-heavy combat and extensive gameplay style customization, as well as all sorts of things to discover in the open world. On the other hand, there are boring characters, a far too serious and predictable story, repetitive mission objectives and artificially difficult battles. Thus, the game can only be recommended if you lower a few expectations and are aware that it gets clunky and lacks variety in some places. Because the fun of the game is really only a layer of sand away most of the time.

Checkpoint Gaming - Luke Mitchell - 6 / 10
There are some fundamentally great things about Atlas Fallen, like its gorgeous desert landscapes and its super-satisfying sand sliding, plus combat that has a tonne of options and flows well. But its open world of interesting enemies suffers from a rinse-and-repeat approach, where what was exciting in hour two becomes boring and repetitive by hour eight. It's not that it's poorly made, but its mission structure and by-the-numbers narrative delivered in a boring way make for an adventure that is more generic than unique. Atlas Fallen is much like a mirage in its sandy desert setting; enticing at first, but a bit disappointing once you look closer and realise it's not what you'd hoped.

Destructoid - Steven Mills - 7 / 10
I do think there is reason enough to experience Atlas Fallen. Especially if you are a fan of the action RPG genre. It may not leave a lasting impression once you’ve completed the adventure, but it will be enjoyable enough along the way to hold your interest.

Eurogamer - Kaan Serin - 3 / 5
Atlas Fallen echoes other mid-00s slashers with fun melee combat and cool ideas, trapped in a run-of-the-mill open world.

GGRecon - Kiera Mills - 4 / 5
Atlas Fallen isn’t a game that will push the action RPG genre forward, but it's so much fun to play it doesn't really matter anyway.
The gameplay loop is satisfying and the aerial dash and sandglider mechanics are smooth enough that you'll be happy just exploring the world of Atlas, even if you're not progressing through the main story.
Its clunky plot holds a certain charm, and with enjoyable combat and traversal it's worth a look for anyone looking for a meaty adventure before the Fall deluge.

GameGrin - Artura Dawn - 6.5 / 10
Atlas Fallen has a great premise with pretty enjoyable old-school combat when it works. Frustrating and unreliable mechanics might be a bit of a hindrance, but it works great as a gameplay-heavy title to pick up and play.

Gameblog - French - 6 / 10
Deck13 brings very good ideas, but either it does not go to the end, or it misses in the execution.

GamesHub - Edmond Tran - 2 / 5
Surfing through the beautiful world of Atlas Fallen is nice, but unsatisfying combat struggles to keep you invested.

GamesRadar+ - Jon Bailes - 2.5 / 5
It's proficient in some respects, adequate in others, and manageable at worst. But that leaves a creative void in its world and the way you interact with it that calls into question the value of the whole endeavour.

Gaming Nexus - Jason Dailey - 7.5 / 10
Atlas Fallen might not make any game of the year lists, but its inventive, refreshing combat is worth checking out. It will require a bit of patience, as the opening and closing acts are a protracted slog, in addition to numerous bugs, but the foundation is set for a sequel that capitalizes on the promise of this new IP.

GamingTrend - David Burdette - 75 / 100
I wouldn't go into Atlas Fallen looking for a great story, but if you're looking for an interesting world to explore, this might fit the bill. The gameplay is a lot of fun, with foes worth your time to engage, and a fantastic customization system to battle your way. Atlas Fallen fills that old "AA THQ" hole, perfect for what it is.

Generación Xbox - Adrian Fuentes Berna - Spanish - 84 / 100
Atlas Fallen is a game that I wanted to play since I saw the first videos, although once played it does not reinvent the wheel, if it does enough things well to consider it a game to take into account if you like its premises. It is an RPG, with a light combat system like a Hack and Slash, with touches of Darksiders and a great atmosphere.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 6.5 / 10
From the outside Atlas Fallen has all the pieces of an open world fantasy epic, but if you look a little more closely you'll see the cracks.

Hardcore Gamer - Kyle LeClair - 3.5 / 5
Atlas Fallen is far from a perfect game, but the important thing is that it's still a fun game.

Hobby Consolas - Ángel Morán Santiago - Spanish - 83 / 100
Atlas Fallen does not invent the wheel, but it scratches at a good level in almost all its sections, and bets on a charismatic fictional universe (with potential for a sequel). If you like hack and slash, action-RPG or the oddities of the PS3 and Xbox 360 generation, here is one of the surprises of the year.

IGN - Gabriel Moss - 7 / 10
Atlas Fallen is a solid open-world action RPG with plenty of platforming and large monsters to fight with a co-op buddy, so long as neither of you cares about story or is a stickler for high-quality textures.

IGN Italy - Angelo Bianco - Italian - 7 / 10
Atlas Fallen is a decent action-RPG that, with all its merits and flaws, attempts to emulate God of War with a fun and dynamic combat system. Unfortunately, in addition to the challenging confrontations with the imposing desert creatures Deck13 Interactive's game does not have much to offer from a quality standpoint. An unsteady frame-rate, along with some problems related to enemy lock-on, prevent the developers from taking the next step after the good results achieved with the two chapters of The Surge.

Kotaku - Ethan Gach - Unscored
Deck13’s latest can’t get off the ground. Like the sandy ruins filling its world, the best parts of Atlas Fallen feel buried beneath the same open-world junk you’ve already done in a bunch of other games.

Lords Of Gaming - Mahmood Ghaffar - 8 / 10
Despite its technical and QoL shortcomings, Atlas Fallen has me excited. The game is a testament to how far AA development has come in recent years. The game does take tired open-world tropes but adds that extra creative and unique layer that AA developers are known for. Atlas Fallen delivers a fascinating, albeit undercooked, world with solid combat and build mechanics. Undoubtedly, Atlas Fallen is another feather in Deck13’s cap.

Metro GameCentral - Nick Gillett - 5 / 10
A combat-heavy action RPG with fun fights and spectacular landscapes, that's brought down by glitches, fiddly navigation, and an over-reliance on fetch quests.

Multiplayer First - James Lara - 7.5 / 10
There’s a lot of potential in Atlas Fallen that, sadly, feels heavily bogged down by its forgettable and, at times, repetitive story. If you can look past that, you’ll find Atlas Fallen has much to offer. It’s a great callback to classic hack-and-slash titles, filled with hours of senseless, monster-slaying fun that can be enjoyed with another player online. It’s not without its faults mind you, but it does build a great foundation, one I’d like to see built upon with potential sequels.

Nerdburglars - Dan Hastings - 6.5 / 10
Atlas Fallen is a mixed bag. It has classic elements that resonate with fans of open world RPGs, clever combat mechanics, and some unique exploration elements. BUT, the repetitive, hopeless world, lacklustre narrative, and often frustrating UX pitfalls temper this potential. Atlas Fallen feels more like a well-made mod than it does a standalone release.

PCGamesN - Matt Poskitt - 8 / 10
Atlas Fallen's superb combat, intruiging world, and fluid traversal make up for a play-by-numbers narrative. Thankfully, simple things like surfing the sands of a ginormous desert wasteland and taking on behemoth beasts mean I can enjoy the game for what it is instead of what it could have been.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 65 / 100
Showing good ideas with poor execution, Atlas Fallen is an action RPG with flaws, strange decisions and an underused universe in many ways. It is a better experience when enjoyed cooperatively, but just a decent game nowadays.

PlayStation Universe - Timothy Nunes - 7.5 / 10
Atlas Fallen suffers a few mishaps along the way, with enemies able to do cheap shots, modernized fast travel limitations, and a rather empty map. At the same time, there's a fun story here that keeps you moving forward, and combat itself feels visceral without being over-demanding. This is a great entry point for newcomers to the genre. Atlas Fallen has high fantasy alongside simple but intricate combat. It may not make game of the year by any means, but it certainly makes a good impression.

Press Start - James Wood - 6 / 10
Atlas Fallen layers interesting and engaging combat systems onto a lacklustre world and frustrating camera controls making for an uneven and forgettable fantasy action outing. Deck13 continues its work of innovating the genre in interesting ways but there's just a little too much going on for Atlas Fallen to ever find solid ground.

Pure Dead Gaming - Jim - 7.5 / 10
For a new IP, and a game that I didn’t know a great deal about prior to playing it, I really enjoyed my time with it. If this is the beginning of a new franchise, then I will look forward to what Deck 13 have to offer as their previous outings in The Lords of the Fallen and The Surge games have certainly cemented them as a solid hand in game development.

Push Square - Liam Croft - 7 / 10
It's disappointing to come up against a few too many flaws, but when Atlas Fallen is on form, its marriage of movement and fighting shines through.

RPG Site - Adam Vitale - 6 / 10
Atlas Fallen is an average action RPG with some interesting Momentum combat mechanics, a passable open-world, subpar presentation, and a disappointing narrative.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored
An action adventure with endearing six-out-of-ten jank, carried by weighty combat with heaps of style and customisation.

Saving Content - Scott Ellison II - 3 / 5
Atlas Fallen is a fun and exciting journey over the sand and under the sun with a combat system defined by enhancements and not the weapons themselves. The story is forgettable, but the experience isn't. It's a game that has a bevy of systems, yet it all feels artificially restrained for unknown reasons. I found the gameplay loop to be enjoyable from start to finish, and the game ended right when it needed to. Atlas Fallen is a little flat in its presentation, but it's a good way to spend a dozen or so hours sand-gliding and fighting as the Summer winds down.

Spaziogames - Gianluca Arena - Italian - 6.3 / 10
It's a shame that Deck13 new IP it's so generic and confusionary, because there are also bold new ideas in it. Nonetheless, as it is at the time of writing, Atlas Fallen is a by-the-book action RPG with a problematic targeting system and just a handful of open maps to explore, with so much better choices on the market.

SpoilerTV - Chloe Curnow - 7 / 10

Though the story falls short of the mark, stunning visuals help give the game a solid and polished feel. The immersive and dynamic combat gameplay however is the game's best asset, giving players full customisation of their playstyle and bringing the world to life. A good choice for a breezy and fast-paced gaming experience.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 7 / 10
Atlas Fallen‘s core is solid — though combat still needs some work — but it seems a bit sparse.

TechRaptor - Rutledge Daugette - 9 / 10
With exploration enhanced by fun traversal, a progression system that doesn't tie you to levels, and combat that never gets boring with flashy abilities and fast-paced movement - Atlas Fallen is definitely worth your time.

The Outerhaven Productions - Jordan Andow - 3 / 5
Atlas Fallen is an enjoyable action game. Unfortunately, the story being so uninteresting and the outdated presentation combined with lots of bugs leave this fun moment-to-moment gameplay experience hard to recommend to everyone. At this moment in time, I would only recommend this game to those that are looking for something fun to play in co-op.

TheSixthAxis - Gareth Chadwick - 5 / 10
Atlas Fallen is at its best when you're fighting huge enemies with your carefully constructed (by trial and error) build, but when you're repeatedly fighting the same enemies, when the story falls flat, and the environments blend into one, it starts to get dull and frustrating quickly.

TrueAchievements - Tom West - 7 / 10
Atlas Fallen is a feast for the eyes and a sand-surfing ride filled with plenty of high-octane combat encounters.

Try Hard Guides - 4 / 10
Atlas Fallen is a game that wants to be so many things, but fails to be any of them. It wants to be the next epic fantasy universe, but lacks the originality or compelling writing to do so. It wants to be an action game akin to its inspirations, but can’t quite deliver on the mechanics it’s inspired by. It wants to be an amazing piece of visual art, but delivers stunning vistas alongside jilted animations and boring enemy designs. It’s a game with deceptive marketing, showing off an inaccurate portrayal of the experience ahead, and one that feels like it had too many teams working on it at once. Unfortunately, it’s also one you should probably give a wide berth.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 7 / 10
With its unique premise and setting, Atlas Fallen could have been one of the best action games of the year, but its mediocre combat system, dull open-world areas, and lack of interesting characters drag the experience down. The full package ends up being just a decent game for those willing to look past its most critical shortcomings.

WellPlayed - Kieran Stockton - 7.5 / 10
While this sandy action RPG is somewhat lacking in technical and visual polish, Atlas Fallen is still a strong outing from Deck13, with the outfit continuing to prove it's got the chops when it comes to crafting interesting mechanics and fun combat.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 6.9 / 10
Atlas Fallen is close to being damned good. It is let down by a lack of variety in enemy encounters, poor side quests, and dreadful writing. Still, the combat quickly becomes damned fun and with the option of co-op, it’s well worth checking out if you want some God of Crackdown-style action platforming adventures.
GamingInstincts - Leonid Melikhov - 6.5/10.0
https://www.gaminginstincts.com/review/atlas-fallen-review-new-ip-with-old-tricks/
https://www.gaminginstincts.com/review/atlas-fallen-review-new-ip-with-old-tricks/

Last edited:
Picking this up a bit later. Looks very fun, despite its flaws.
I can attest to that. So far I am enjoying it and about 2 hours in. I find it a bit odd the game doesn't have leveling despite the enemies having levels. However, it seems to be more about builds and more reliance on quick reflexes for dodges/parries and knowing when to strike enemies. The combat system is so far the best part. I think the world is also very unique.

It is a standard open world formula though. Go do this at X location. Find this Y item and collect XYZ number/number in the world map. The game won't blow you away. But I always welcome a new IP with an interesting world. We got our review copy today, so a tad late, full review soon but I think I am looking at a rating between 7 to 8 so far. Will be posting a video review soon.l for those who are interested in picking it up later this week or down the line.

Visuals are nice too but nothing like "omg this is next gen" they are more than serviceable.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
On Steam, the numbers are very lackluster.
Only a peak concurrent player count of 1154. And a user score of 41%.

From what I remember of my experience with Surge 2, it was a good game with one of the nastiest learning curves I’ve ever experienced (also the boss on the front cover is horrible), and while I liked the visual style of the game, the story and lore were totally forgettable.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Played a bit of the game for like an hour. Story isn't special. Combat is great. Reminds me of early 2000's action games.

Momentum system is interesting in that you inflict more damage/take more damage, attacks get bigger for increased threat range and over the course of the game you find pop rocks to give you new attacks and self buffs the higher your blue gauge gets and you have a risk reward on whether you maintain your gauge for sustained DPS or use it all for burst damage in one big attack.

It's a fun time for sure. Also sand surfing.

Drizzlehell

Banned
From what I'm seeing the main complaints about the game so far is that the story is boring and dialogue sucks, with some people even comparing it unfavourably to Forspoken (maybe rofif rofif will enjoy this one, then).

Overall, those complaints seem mild enough & they are easy to look past if the gameplay is fun. Comparisons to Darksiders is what piques my interest so I may still give it a shot.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member

For comparison we took four screenshots, with E-Cores enabled and disabled. We picked a "typical average" scene instead of a worst case, which is why the FPS are a bit higher. As you can see, with E-Cores enabled are pretty low (136 / 152 FPS), whereas turning off the E-Cores instantly increases performance right up to the engine's internal FPS cap (187 / 197 FPS).

With the E-cores disabled, the game is confined to what is essentially an 8-core/16-thread processor with just P-cores, which boost well above the 5.00 GHz mark, and have the full 36 MB slab of L3 cache to themselves. The framerate now shoots up to 200 FPS, which is a hard framerate limit set by the developer. Our RTX 4090 should be capable of higher framerates, and developers Deck13 Interactive should consider raising it, given that monitor refresh-rates are on the rise, and it's fairly easy to find a 240 Hz or 360 Hz monitor in the high-end segment. The game is based on the Fledge engine, and supports both DirectX 12 and Vulkan APIs. We used GeForce 536.99 WHQL in our testing. Be sure to check out our full performance review of Atlas Fallen later today.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
From what I'm seeing the main complaints about the game so far is that the story is boring and dialogue sucks, with some people even comparing it unfavourably to Forspoken (maybe rofif rofif will enjoy this one, then).

Overall, those complaints seem mild enough & they are easy to look past if the gameplay is fun. Comparisons to Darksiders is what piques my interest so I may still give it a shot.

Yeah skimming reviews I see most of the complaints are about the narrative. Like who gives a shit? Is it broken? Is it fun? Tell me what matters lol

It sounds cool. Im all about new IP checkbox open worlds that arent made by Ubisoft and Im a fan of Focus and their crawl to becoming the cream of the crop AA publisher.

Not sure for $60 though. First world problems.

Fbh

Always looked like a 7/10 game so I guess it makes sense.

Still look like a fun enough get once it's $20 if I can convince a friend to pick it up too for coop. Otherwise it gets relegated to "try when it's on Ps+"

On Steam, the numbers are very lackluster.
Only a peak concurrent player count of 1154. And a user score of 41%.

Releasing next to Baldur's Gate 3, a week and a half before a new FROMSOFT game and a month away from Starfield probably doesn't help.
They obviously can't delay it indefinitely but this seems like the type of game that could thrive in one of those dead periods with a drought of new releases

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Releasing next to Baldur's Gate 3, a weak and a half before a new FROMSOFT game and a month away from Starfield probably doesn't help.
They obviously can't delay it indefinitely but this seems like the type of game that could thrive in one of those dead periods with a drought of new releases

And a couple of weeks from Remnant 2. Another hit game.
Like you said, this is the kind of game that could have a better reception, if released on a period with fewer competing games.
Maybe a few more months of development could have been enough to improve some game mechanics, introduce more content, make better puzzles and make the game a bit more appealing.

Reactions: Fbh
We posted ours today (mine) Draugoth Draugoth

Feel free to read - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/review/atlas-fallen-review-new-ip-with-old-tricks/

It's also on OpenCritic, our reviews now dictate final meta averages, you can find our profile here - https://opencritic.com/outlet/872/gaming-instincts

I commend Deck13 for taking the risk of creating a new IP and wanting to make something new and unique. They have definitely achieved some of it with the combat system and the sand traversal mechanics. But that’s about it.

Scores- 6.5/10

- Video review -

Last edited:

Filben

The game tops the charts in Germany on PS5 and Xbox in its release week. On PC, no surprises here. It's Germany, so of course it's Landwirtschaftssimulator.

csm_Spielecharts_KW32_de_200823_0817a8b72c.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom