• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source vs. Source 2 - Physics Comparison (Valve game engine)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Glass Physics
1:23 Picking up crate with physics objects inside
2:39 Ragdoll Collisions
3:55 Bucket vs. Props
4:42 NPCs vs. Grenade
5:11 Bottle Physics
6:32 Opening Door with barrels behind it
6:54 Headcrabs vs. Explosions
7:17 Ragdolls vs. Explosions
7:55 Ragdolls Falling Physics
8:50 Grass Physics
10:05 TV vs. Window

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Some upgrades, some downgrades.

The glass broke oddly in s2. It could literally hang in the air with no connection to anything.

The bottles in the bucket wasn't down there but on top like it was an solid object. When he picked it up they just flew right off. That's probably the models fault though since the box with balls moving were more accurate.

While the grass was an update,it looked weird that it reacts to your hands but not when a brick gets dropped on it.

When he tries to toss the TV through the window the second time it doesn't change the way its been damaged, making it look like it was ghosting through it when it didn't affect the shatter at all.

While being upgraded, we are comparing engines that are separated by two decades in between them.

Compared to that then the jump doesn't feel that big.

I was more impressed by the details of textures which also shows how old hl2 is.

Some upgrades, some downgrades.

The glass broke oddly in s2. It could literally hang in the air with no connection to anything.

The bottles in the bucket wasn't down there but on top like it was an solid object. When he picked it up they just flew right off. That's probably the models fault though since the box with balls moving were more accurate.

While the grass was an update,it looked weird that it reacts to your hands but not when a brick gets dropped on it.

When he tries to toss the TV through the window the second time it doesn't change the way its been damaged, making it look like it was ghosting through it when it didn't affect the shatter at all.

While being upgraded, we are comparing engines that are separated by two decades in between them.

Compared to that then the jump doesn't feel that big.

I was more impressed by the details of textures which also shows how old hl2 is.
I mean I dunno - I played Alyx right after Half Life 2 - the jump in physics is actually pretty incredible. Half life 2 physics are cool but still “feel” like a simulation - Alyx’s can trick you into feeling it’s real sometimes. The subtle differences actually make a huge impact on the whole

Holammer

Good artists can still work around a lot of limitations even with an aging engine.
The Titanfall series is a prime example, you wouldn't believe there's actually OG source engine ticking underneath.

I spent way too much time playing with dead bodies in Alyx.
Interacting with objects never got old. I don't even know what to compare this experience with. It's not like an amusement park, because in a park they wouldn't let you act like a retard and destroy everything. It's more like a Westworld experience. You can just fuck shit up with no real consequences.

Top Bottom