• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SP2 for Windows XP available very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoobert

The one you can download now is really the final. It's 2180, but the real final will be 2181 and will be less than 100megs. The one floating around is well over 200megs.

Oops, fixed.

Diablos

Some sites are claiming that the final build is 2178 which is false since 2179 was compiled on the 2nd of August. Hopefully whilst writing this 2180 will have compiled on the 3rd of August and if Microsoft are syncing build numbers between their Windows Update 5 (2181) and Windows XP SP2 then 2181 will compile today as RTM, otherwise 2180 will most likely be signed as RTM.

The dates for release are as follows:

4th August RTM (2180 or 2181)

5th August RTW (release to web) & MSDN Subscribers - Network Install

25th August Windows Update/Automatic Updates release

Umm, seems like they're identical. What's RTM mean?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Spectral Glider said:
Me either. I figure I'll just wait a week or so until everyone else finds out how it can possibly fuck up your system.
Exactly.

You don't walk out in front when you're going through the jungle, after all. ;)

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
i ran sp2 when it was still beta.. its alright.. It integrates your firewall and antivirus if you have one to windows.

Poody

What program do you use to photoshop a picture?
forgot to mention if you dont have the 640 keys then sp2 completely fucks your priated windows

teiresias

I'm due for my yearly OS reinstall, so I'll just wait a few weeks and get all my updated drivers together, etc. and when the service pack is tested out see what the consensus is.

SKluck

Banned
Poody said:
forgot to mention if you dont have the 640 keys then sp2 completely fucks your priated windows

Actually Sp2 only bans like 10 or so keys. HOWEVER. WUv5 bans all corp keys but the ones that produce a 640 ID.

Ecrofirt

What are these 640 keys you guys are talking about?

Someone burned one of my friends a pireted version of Windows XP Pro, and as much as I tell her she's going to get fucked, she won't listen to me.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ecrofirt said:
What are these 640 keys you guys are talking about?

Someone burned one of my friends a pireted version of Windows XP Pro, and as much as I tell her she's going to get fucked, she won't listen to me.

Right Click My Comp, Properties, look at the Hardware ID Key (third line under "Registered to"). If you have a pirated corp edition and your ID Key is XXXXX-645-XXXXXXX-XXXXX Windows Update V5 will give you an error and won't allow you to dl patches. I believe SP2 only blocks a couple of Product Keys though, so unless you friend is using the first product keys for XP Corp she should be able install SP2, but she won't be able to use Windows Update V5 without a 640 key. If your key is XXXXX-640-XXXXXXX-XXXXX SP2 and WU V5 will work fine.

Ryu

My key is 647 and it doesn't seem to match any of the keys on that Microsoft page. I also formatted a week ago and was able to fully update to SP1 (for like the 4th time in two years) without any problems.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
you know i thought they were blocking access to windows update...

until i realised there was a problem with permissions.

andthebeatgoeson

Great goggoly-moogoly, that means I have to d/l this 80 mb file after each reinstall? I'm trying to think of ways to get around this. Usually, every 8-9 months, I wipe out my HD and reinstall. I know I heard of people talking about creating an image of the OS to reinstall with.

Now, I'm assuming that doing that, I could d/l all the updates, including SP2, make an image, save it and just use that as my starting point for a reinstall. Can I do that? What do I need?

Killthee

Mejilan said:
My Key is 649, that's bad right? Any I can... errrr, 'fix' this?

Go to the Windows Update site. Change the v4 in the url to v5. Install WU V5 and check for updates. If it shows you the updates and your able to install them SP2 should give you no problems when you try installing it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
But if I do that, and this key is bad, won't I totally eat it?

Is V5 of WU new? My system still defaults to V4...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
No new updates available, but V5 installed and scans just fine for me too.

Office 2003 SP1 is available in Office Update, btw.

Killthee

Mejilan said:
But if I do that, and this key is bad, won't I totally eat it?

Is V5 of WU new? My system still defaults to V4...

V5 is the new WU and MS is probably waiting for the public SP2 release before forcing you to update to V5. You can update now if you change the v4 to v5 in the url.

If your key is bad WU won't show any patches and instead give you an error. Everything in XP will still work except for WU if your key is bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom