• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spilting pain relief medicine help.

My mom just had surgury and when hospital discharge her they screw up by forgetting give us one of the pain relief medicine. Here is situration, every 7-8 hours she take 2 tylenol and 2 mortin, however by hour 5-6 she is already in a lot of pain and we won;t be able to get the paper work on the stronger medicine until monday. I am thinking what if: She take 1 tylenol and 1 mortin every 4 hours instead, the effect won;t be at much but it might fill out the gap. However, we don't have anyone to ask abiut this theory.

Jennings

I can't think of a worse place to ask for emergency medical advice. Consider an Urgent Care clinic if she's mobile, or call your doctor's department supervisor and tell them about the paperwork delay if they won't get you a written prescription you can fill today.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Can’t you call the hospital and tell them? They shouldn’t leave someone in pain after surgery like that. If that doesn’t work try your mom’s doctors after hours on call number

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's pretty typical to alternate tylenol and ibuprofen every 4 hours so that you can have some around the clock pain relief and not exceed the daily safe limits. Don't ever go above 3000 mg tylenol daily. Don't take them both at the same time, because then she'll eventually not be covered. Stagger them.

Either way it's just going to be minimal pain relief. Cold compress helps some people. Just going to be a long weekend from the sound of it. Sleeping is a great way to not be in pain also, obviously. Maybe a time release melatonin, 10 mg once daily while it's hard to sleep, then discontinue when not needed. This is all just over the counter stuff.

Last edited:
I screw up a little when hospital call and say they will give the stronger pain killer on monday when she is schedule to remove the staples. I could have ask if we can go in and get it today but alas, didn;t think of it on the time. It is nearly impossible to find anyone that can answer question when calling the hospital.

It's pretty typical to alternate tylenol and ibuprofen every 4 hours so that you can have some around the clock pain relief and not exceed the daily safe limits. Don't ever go above 3000 mg tylenol daily. Don't take them both at the same time, because then she'll eventually not be covered. Stagger them.

Either way it's just going to be minimal pain relief. Cold compress helps some people. Just going to be a long weekend from the sound of it. Sleeping is a great way to not be in pain also, obviously. Maybe a time release melatonin, 10 mg once daily while it's hard to sleep, then discontinue when not needed. This is all just over the counter stuff.
the discharge form say 2 pill of tylenol and 2 pill of ibuprofen every 8 hours. AND there is also another confusion. Before the discharge, nurse say save the stronger tylenol( the missing prescription one) for breakthrough pain anbd when a nurse visit yesterday, he say she is suppose to have the strogner tylenol first and add the other as needed.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
the discharge form say 2 pill of tylenol and 2 pill of ibuprofen every 8 hours. AND there is also another confusion. Before the discharge, nurse say save the stronger tylenol( the missing prescription one) for breakthrough pain anbd when a nurse visit yesterday, he say she is suppose to have the strogner tylenol first and add the other as needed.
Alternate them every four hours instead of giving them at the same time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You can take tylenol scheduled or as needed. Just depends on what they prescribed really. The main thing to keep in mind is the daily limits within 24 hr period so those don't get exceeded.

You can't really take the stronger med into account here since you wont get it until Monday. So I'd just suggest alternating them every 4 hours (the tylenol and ibuprofen, until Monday) and then get the prescriptions clarified on Monday. Call the doctor or go to the ER if you think her pain is an indication of a serious post-surgical issue, and not just normal post-surgical pain.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
My mom just had surgury and when hospital discharge her they screw up by forgetting give us one of the pain relief medicine. Here is situration, every 7-8 hours she take 2 tylenol and 2 mortin, however by hour 5-6 she is already in a lot of pain and we won;t be able to get the paper work on the stronger medicine until monday. I am thinking what if: She take 1 tylenol and 1 mortin every 4 hours instead, the effect won;t be at much but it might fill out the gap. However, we don't have anyone to ask abiut this theory.
Wait what country are you from? That’s medical negligence!

I think you need to be more assertive friend. I would call back and tell them your mom is in a lot of pain, you need the pain medication today, and how are they going to help you with that? Be polite but firm, don’t take “come back Monday” for an answer.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ibuprofen would help as it is an anti inflammatory. But it is going to be minor relief from surgery. You need a precisely of another string narcotic.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Not medical advice but I have been prescribed 600mg ibuprofen 3 times daily for a couple of weeks. Is not good for your stomach but is a big help with pain.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not medical advice but I have been prescribed 600mg ibuprofen 3 times daily for a couple of weeks. Is not good for your stomach but is a big help with pain.
Just don't do it long term. Saw someone show up in the ER once. Had to pull over off the highway and couldn't move. Crippling stomach pain. Turns out they were downing ibuprofen for months and destroyed the lining in their stomach. Helps to not take it on an empty stomach by the way.

BigBooper

Depends on what the surgery was. I've had surgery before and they said just take ibuprofen and Tylenol, but it wasn't like open heart surgery or anything crazy.

Hey op, I'm not telling you what to do with medical advice and all, but here's what Harvard Medical School says about the maximum dosage.

Also, I've been advised to take over the normal recommended dose for ibuprofen for a few days.

They also told me to take the tylenol regularly according to the dose schedule whether I felt like I needed it or not because if you let the pain ramp up it's harder to relieve it.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just don't do it long term. Saw someone show up in the ER once. Had to pull over off the highway and couldn't move. Crippling stomach pain. Turns out they were downing ibuprofen for months and destroyed the lining in their stomach. Helps to not take it on an empty stomach by the way.
Oh yeah I was only prescribed it for two weeks and only took it with food.

Zeroing

Banned
USA. Yes it is pretty terrible, they did give out the paper work but it is a "copy" so it is not suit for prescription.
I have no idea what kind of rules are in there but can’t you call the family doctor? Wait there’s a family doctor for every citizen there?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Do you have access to telemedicine? This could be a quick way to discuss it with a doctor, and if they choose could also sent the prescription to your pharmacy of choice. I use this service through my care provider rather than physically seeing a doctor for small things. I also use it to merely ask questions.

Top Bottom