• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell's upcoming game will be titled "Splinter Cell: Shadow Legacy", mark my words!

It's pretty obvious when you think about it.

First, the latest Rainbow Six Siege season is titled "Operation Shadow Legacy" and it's literally just about Sam Fisher joining/collaborating with Team Rainbow.

Second, the name "Shadow Legacy" insinuates or implies a rather obvious callback to Sam Fisher's (and, in general, Splinter Cell's) prolific 'legacy' of operations and games spanning across a decade and a half, respectively.

So GAF, what do you think about this possible title for the next Splinter Cell game?

I'm not sure I want a new Splinter Cell game. Knowing Ubisoft they'll probably turn it into a generic GAAS battle royale game, rather than the amazing single player / co op experience it should be. Same goes for Prince Of Persia, maybe those franchises should be remembered as classics and stay that way. I'm perfectly happy revisiting Choas Theory and Blacklist every once and a while, they still hold up just fine.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
I was anticipating/hoping it would be called "Broken Arrow" based on his last scene in Ghost Recon Wildlands. In the last cutscene Sam gets called away for a broken arrow (code for stolen/lost nuclear device). I thought that would be a good plot point to begin a new game. It could even start in medias res with Sam on a C130 flying out of Bolivia being briefed on his mission.

Nah, I don't think there's going to be a new Splinter Cell game. I mean he appeared in Ghost Recon Wildlands and people were hopeful about it and nothing came. Same thing here.

Bet your account
lgKYor1.gif

MiguelItUp

It's certainly a possibility, but at this point I wouldn't expect anything from them anytime soon. If it happens, I'll be shocked.

hyperbertha

Its going to take a while to figure out how to make splinter cell an online service but if anyone can do it its Ubisoft. I have utmost faith in them.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm not sure I want a new Splinter Cell game. Knowing Ubisoft they'll probably turn it into a generic GAAS battle royale game, rather than the amazing single player / co op experience it should be. Same goes for Prince Of Persia, maybe those franchises should be remembered as classics and stay that way.

Even if it tears my heart out, you are probably right.

I do think it will be a two-word subtitle, thus in a way setting itself apart from Conviction and Blacklist. The first three main series games had two-word subtitles. I don't think it will be called Shadow Legacy though because you don't often see developers reusing subtitles unless a game is re-released or they put a number after it.

Splinter Cell: Broken Arrow it is, then.

broken-arrow-key-art.jpg

Last edited:

recursive

I'm not sure I want a new Splinter Cell game. Knowing Ubisoft they'll probably turn it into a generic GAAS battle royale game, rather than the amazing single player / co op experience it should be. Same goes for Prince Of Persia, maybe those franchises should be remembered as classics and stay that way. I'm perfectly happy revisiting Choas Theory and Blacklist every once and a while, they still hold up just fine.
Based on what?

SCB3

I don't think it'll be a sequel anymore, but a remake of 1 and Pandora tomorrow for next gen

baphomet

I couldn't give a shit less about Splinter Cell games, but I can promise if it was called Shadow Legacy I wouldn't even look at it.

Fucking corniest name ever.

recursive

My personal experiences with the last two cycles of Ubisoft releases and the overall popular trends of the last five years of gaming.
That is quite the stretch considering Ubisoft has released 1 battle royale. I know its cool to roast Ubisoft but this was just a shit take.

First, the latest Rainbow Six Siege season is titled "Operation Shadow Legacy" and it's literally just about Sam Fisher joining/collaborating with Team Rainbow.

Second, the name "Shadow Legacy" insinuates or implies a rather obvious callback to Sam Fisher's (and, in general, Splinter Cell's) prolific 'legacy' of operations and games spanning across a decade and a half, respectively.

So GAF, what do you think about this possible title for the next Splinter Cell game?

Splinter Cell upcoming gaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:'( will be some shitty vr thing
Miss the series so much

wipeout364

It will definitely need to be an open world game based on everything Ubisoft has done in the last few years. It will also need co-op at a minimum for the GAAS aspect. I think it would be doable something like metal gear solid 5 or even a stealth version of Ghost recon .

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It will definitely need to be an open world game based on everything Ubisoft has done in the last few years. It will also need co-op at a minimum for the GAAS aspect. I think it would be doable something like metal gear solid 5 or even a stealth version of Ghost recon .

Not sure about it needing to be co-op to be GAAS. I think PvP lends itself to GAAS much more.

It's almost assuredly going to be a PvPvE mode, either smaller scale Spies vs Mercs esque, or a larger Battle Royale type mode.

Co-op is too costly to make.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Not sure about it needing to be co-op to be GAAS. I think PvP lends itself to GAAS much more.

It's almost assuredly going to be a PvPvE mode, either smaller scale Spies vs Mercs esque, or a larger Battle Royale type mode.

Co-op is too costly to make.
When I said Co-op I was actually thinking about the way ghost recon works then having a smaller merc versus spies modes. Maybe similar to the way dark souls loads in other players. Co-op or team modes allow skin sales which I think is one of the most lucrative avenues for extra revebue for these companies. I agree they will definitely try to work in a PVP mode to allow for skins and a battle pass set up.

Ozrimandias

Treating my old man Sam like trash, milking it like a cow.

Disgusting.

I'm pretty sure, that Ubi doesn't know how to handle Splinter Cell, they don't know if its gonna be Open World, more closed approach like blacklist, etc
Damn they don't even know how Sam Fisher should look like....like an old man like Ghost Recon Wildlands, less old like Breakpoint, or not grey hair and in like his 50's like Rainbow Six
Michael Ironside not in Rainbow Damn it!!
I'm really pissed off with Ubisoft.

Tesseract

Banned
splinter cell open world with pvpve could be intredasting

idc what it is so long as spies versus mercs returns

used to play that all night with friends

Strider311

I love Splinter Cell. Probably more than any other series. But I think it’s dead, folks. Cameos featuring bizarro Sam Fisher for the foreseeable future.

wipeout364

I think it is really unlikely we will get a classic Splinter Cell game from Ubisoft. Maybe if Bethesda had the license as they seem to be the last bastion of Single Player focused small level games; which is interesting since they are one of pioneers of massive open world games.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

I got excited, then I realized it's a MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima post.

I'm sad now.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Treating my old man Sam like trash, milking it like a cow.

Disgusting.

I'm pretty sure, that Ubi doesn't know how to handle Splinter Cell, they don't know if its gonna be Open World, more closed approach like blacklist, etc
Damn they don't even know how Sam Fisher should look like....like an old man like Ghost Recon Wildlands, less old like Breakpoint, or not grey hair and in like his 50's like Rainbow Six
Michael Ironside not in Rainbow Damn it!!
I'm really pissed off with Ubisoft.

Seems weird that they wouldn't know how to make one when all the ingredients are out there:

Make it:

Semi-open world but with smaller areas so you can have multiple locations across the globe
Multiple missions/objectives in each area
Some kind of branching Paragon/Renegade system
Multiple factions to work with a la Mercenaries 1 that provide different rewards but are tied to the good/evil system
Enemy hierarchy system like Mercenaries, Crackdown, or Middle Earth
Make some missions linear where stealth is required

Most importantly it needs that Tom Clancy feel with real world technical stuff in it and Michael Ironside voicing Sam Fisher.

Ozrimandias

Seems weird that they wouldn't know how to make one when all the ingredients are out there:

Make it:

Semi-open world but with smaller areas so you can have multiple locations across the globe
Multiple missions/objectives in each area
Some kind of branching Paragon/Renegade system
Multiple factions to work with a la Mercenaries 1 that provide different rewards but are tied to the good/evil system
Enemy hierarchy system like Mercenaries, Crackdown, or Middle Earth
Make some missions linear where stealth is required

Most importantly it needs that Tom Clancy feel with real world technical stuff in it and Michael Ironside voicing Sam Fisher.

I agree with you but Ubi I think is trying to move in the direction of an Open World game like Wildlands, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed, Breakpoint, The Division, etc.

With that being said, Ubi also will want to milk the game with Seasons, Microtransactions, Events, and other Gaas crap

The funny thing is, that the best games from Ubisoft this generation is when they "explore" new areas or elements, like Rainbow Six and For Honor.

If you ask me, I don't mind if they go on the route of microtransactions, events, and the stuff that Ubi is selling from Watchdogs, Ghost Recon, etc.
I'm more concerned about the new game being a solid single-player experience. (with proper facial animations, please ubi, stop being the worst Developer in facial animations)

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I really don’t care if you are right or wrong .. let it be a Sam Fisher game don’t care about the name or the title

we need a Stealth game

Nah, it’ll be titled “Splinter Cell” and the fans will be forced to call it “nuSplinter Cell” or “Splinter Cell 2021”

CitizenX

Banned
Im kind of ready for another SS, but in all honesty a series that is close to 20 yrs old and numerous sequels does anyone in this new Minecraft/ Fortnite era really care? No one seemed to care the last game that was done and it was actually pretty good. Im not nostalgic and would rather see new IPs new characters so bored with same old shit. Where the fck is the new gen of ideas?

Top Bottom