• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify jacking up their prices at the end of July

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Get tidal. 98 percent of the same music that matters and much better quality audio.

I think Tidal's big problem is that so few people have the equipment and even ability to discern the difference between a 320kb MP3 (Very high quality on Spotify) and lossless audio.

I personally would not bet on being able to pick out a Tidal stream and a Very High Quality Spotify stream.

Do you feel that it makes a big difference to you?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I think Tidal's big problem is that so few people have the equipment and even ability to discern the difference between a 320kb MP3 (Very high quality on Spotify) and lossless audio.

I personally would not bet on being able to pick out a Tidal stream and a Very High Quality Spotify stream.

Do you feel that it makes a big difference to you?
I can hear the difference. I've done some ab comparisons. Even my girlfriend who isn't anything close to an audiophile told me that tidal tracks sound more "full" I wouldn't say it a night and day difference but it's the same price as Spotify so why not?

violence

Gold Member
I can tell the difference between my 320 KB MP3‘s and Spotify. It’s not a big difference or anything. I think some people just want the best possible quality. Like using 4K Blu-ray versus streaming.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can hear the difference. I've done some ab comparisons. Even my girlfriend who isn't anything close to an audiophile told me that tidal tracks sound more "full" I wouldn't say it a night and day difference but it's the same price as Spotify so why not?
Oh right, I was under the impression it was more expensive.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I can tell the difference between my 320 KB MP3‘s and Spotify. It’s not a big difference or anything. I think some people just want the best possible quality. Like using 4K Blu-ray versus streaming.
Spotify does offer 320 mp3's if you set the quality to "very high"

Toots

Gold Member
Im seeing a lot of big mouthed guys with bionic ears in this thread, so let me tell you what a real audiophile does.
I already stopped listening to recorded music by the time the DAT cassette tanked. Don't even go to live gigs since Hendrix died, and it was 15 years before my birth.
Only stuff i listen to nowdays is me playing Harvest (full 1971 album tracklist) on a bagpipe, to the beat of my classically trained howler monkey screams.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Sushi_Combo

Yeah Spotify's "High Quality" streams sound like shit compared to any other competing platform.

AJUMP23

Certainly not in the music department, at least in terms of compensating the folks who make the content. Here’s how much each service pays out and the number of streams needed for an artist to make a buck:

Tidal Music$0.0128478
Apple Music$0.008125
Amazon Music$0.00402249
Spotify$0.00318314
YouTube Music$0.002500
Pandora$0.00133752
What do you earn for radio play?

I don't use Spotify or any subscription services for music.

Meicyn

Gold Member
What do you earn for radio play?

I don't use Spotify or any subscription services for music.
Nothing.

No seriously. Artists make nothing from royalties on radio stations, in the US anyways. Only songwriters and publishers do. If the artist happens to also be their own songwriter, then they get about 50% of the royalties. How much the royalties are varies significantly based on the level of pull from the station and of course, how popular the artist is at the time. Their money comes from direct sales of songs, whatever comes from streams, live performances, etc.

AJUMP23

Nothing.

No seriously. Artists make nothing from royalties on radio stations, in the US anyways. Only songwriters and publishers do. If the artist happens to also be their own songwriter, then they get about 50% of the royalties. How much the royalties are varies significantly based on the level of pull from the station and of course, how popular the artist is at the time. Their money comes from direct sales of songs, whatever comes from streams, live performances, etc.

I thought it was only writers and publishers for radio play. Thanks for confirming.

Top Bottom