• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 III | AITAKATTA YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Naruto Shippuden 268
tumblr_m6bxutGQ7u1r3knooo2_250.gif

Darui is just plain epic, these jutsus.

It took me a lot of attention to notice that the absolutely straight line in the back was the cliff and not screen tearing.

Bwahaha, now I'm curious as to how he got access to the .gif!

The internet always has its way.

But honestly, I have no idea either, bwahaha. Oh man.

Instro

Remember how the Blood-C movie made 32,037,000yen in the first 2 days of release at the box office? It is now reported that the movie has made over 100,000,000yen in 23 days. Puttign it in the same league as the recent Berserk movie, which made the same amount in total despite screening on 93 screens (as compared to Blood-C's 24 screens).

VICTORY FOR SAYA! :D

Hm that's good legs, at least by US standards. Particularly with the lower amount of screens that probably means that its getting good word of mouth. 24 screens is pretty crazy, whats the usual amount for a blockbuster type release there, in the hundreds I guess?

duckroll

Hm that's good legs, at least by US standards. Particularly with the lower amount of screens that probably means that its getting good word of mouth. 24 screens is pretty crazy, whats the usual amount for a blockbuster type release there, in the hundreds I guess?

24 screens isn't really crazy for anime. You have to keep in mind that while Japan itself is fairly large, the bulk of the otaku audience would be mostly concentrated in the big city areas. So you don't really need a lot of screens to meet the limited demand. A major blockbuster with appeal nationwide and with strong distribution support would open in a hundreds of screens, yes.

Jex

I think you're spot-on with this, actually. I feel the same way. The only difference is that I had already gone through the entire F/SN saga before watching F/Z... Which means I was already whiteknighting Saber.

Tell me how many Saber figures you own.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sailor Moon R 70

Kq8O8.jpg

This sums up Rei's and Usagi's relationship pretty well

A Rei episode! Rei continues to prove that she's the best character. This must be like the 5th time they've pulled the
love is/can/should be sacrificial, it still works well though. And yay! They didn't kill Koan off! That made me pretty happy. I'm still sad about poor Naru... :(

Of course, they have to reinforce the fact that Rubeus really is a bad guy. Somehow he ends up despicable, while Koan, who tried to kill Chibiusa all the time, ends up sympathetic... Of course, Sailor Moon does focus more on the characters and their relationships then the fights, so it does work. I'm interesting in seeing if that's it for Koan, or if she'll appear more in the future.

3RSZh.jpg

Requisite Chibiusa pic

Jex

Welp, time for some more Kaiji, episode 11, here I come.

Yeah, I watched 10 episodes today, wassup?

I would've watched even more but I had to socialize for a large part of the day nooooooooooo

It's okay, I once watched so much Kaiji that I nearly got killed via electricity.

It's a long story.

jbug617

Banned
Kids on the Slope 12

That ending is totally different from the manga. I know the show probably had to cut corners due to time but there was some interesting stuff they left out.

The show was good but not what I was expecting after the first couple of episodes.

Instro

24 screens isn't really crazy for anime. You have to keep in mind that while Japan itself is fairly large, the bulk of the otaku audience would be mostly concentrated in the big city areas. So you don't really need a lot of screens to meet the limited demand. A major blockbuster with appeal nationwide and with strong distribution support would open in a hundreds of screens, yes.

Well I mean in the context of small films in the US, its kind of funny. That would be a screen count for a single city release or something here.

duckroll

Well I mean in the context of small films in the US, its kind of funny. That would be a screen count for a single city release or something here.

Right, and in the context of Japan, I would say most anime theatricals are limited to what is essentially 1-2 cities. :)

Instro

Right, and in the context of Japan, I would say most anime theatricals are limited to what is essentially 1-2 cities. :)

Haha ok. The ticket sell through on these kind of releases must be quite good then. Do they ever expand theater counts for an anime release that is really popular with otaku?

duckroll

Haha ok. The ticket sell through on these kind of releases must be quite good then. Do they ever expand theater counts for an anime release that is really popular with otaku?

Yes, actually I think they do. I can't remember specifically which titles it happened to, but I definitely recall that for some movies after a limited run, they expanded nationwide after a month or two due to popularity.

Rebuild of Evangelion is an example of a movie series where the screens expand with each release. The first movie was released on 80+ screens, and it made about 2,000,000,000yen during its run. When the second movie expanded to 120+ screens, it made 4,000,000,000yen during that run. With a new distributor handling the third movie which is expected to open this Fall, it could open even larger.

Jex

I don't know, I can only speak for the shows I'm watching this season. I watched 8 shows this season, and a bunch of older OVAs and movies, and this was way worse than all of them. Even Unlimited Blade Works was better than this, and that was pretty bad. This is the worst experience I've had this entire season!

God damn, what a burn.

jbug617

Banned
I think...I think that's the only way to describe it.

It wasn't entirely satisfying, although it was certainly well made.

I didn't like that the show really didn't touch on Kaoru in college. They had some quick story stuff that would of made it more interesting.

spoilers of stuff that happened with Kaoru in college
Kaoru reconnecting with his mother. Meeting and playing music with Jun in the club. Kaoru basically inheriting a hospital at his grandfather's funeral. The communication with Ritsuko and the ending with Sen's sister's wedding.

Jex

I didn't like that the show really didn't touch on
Kaoru in college. They had some quick story stuff that would of made it more interesting.

spoilers of stuff that happened with Kaoru in college
Kaoru reconnecting with his mother. Meeting and playing music with Jun in the club. Kaoru basically inheriting a hospital at his grandfather's funeral. The communication with Ritsuko and the ending with Sen's sister's wedding.

None of that is in the anime so as far as I am concerned it didn't happen. It's pretty clear that they had no time for any of that, unfortunately.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
None of that is in the anime so as far as I am concerned it didn't happen. It's pretty clear that they had no time for any of that, unfortunately.

Yes, I feel that Apollon would have benefited so much from being 22ish episodes, rather than 12.

Grzi

Kids on the Slope - a bit too predictable and conventional, but still emotional, and the execution was great as always. An amazing series, loved almost every minute of it.

Tsuritama - a truly unique show, didn't know what to expect going into it, but in the end I thoroughly enjoyed it, maybe even a bit more than Kids on the Slope.

sleepykyo

My father watched that show because of this gif. It was his first (and probably last) anime.

I couldn't stop laughing.

He intentionally picked an anime that could reaffirm his dislike of anime and provide as fodder whenever the topic comes up?

I'll have you know I don't watch JAVs.
But if people request I'll soil my eyes and then cry myself to sleep just for the sake of a review.

Reads like a blatant attempt to use animeGaf's recommendation tendencies to justify watching it. I'll bite, suffer through it.

Jex

Yes, I feel that Apollon would have benefited so much from being 22ish episodes, rather than 12.

Right, although, as has already been pointed out, they went into the production process knowing how many episodes they had to to work with.

Still, what could have been...

Dresden

tsuritama - 12

This was so good. Rare in anything to see a work come together and end in such a triumphant, conclusive fashion. Notch another one for Nakamura. This is my favorite show of the year.

Jex

Just finished Waiting in the Summer.

Those last five seconds completely ruined it for me. The fuck.

I do enjoy it when a show sneaks something into the show in the last few moments just to change your impression of the finale. I am looking at you, work I cant name because its would spoil the last episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom