• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix On The Popularity Gap Between Final Fantasy And Dragon Quest In The West

Dragon Quest executive producer Yu Miyake touched on this topic in last month’s issue of EDGE. He said Final Fantasy’s western popularity in comparison to Dragon Quest is something Square Enix has “been thinking about a lot internally”.

Miyake brought up a few different reasons in the interview. For one thing, “the source of nostalgia is different” in Japan and the west – Dragon Quest on Famicom and Final Fantasy VII on PlayStation respectively. He also believes that Square Enix should have originally given a greater effort with Dragon Quest’s localization. Finally, Miyake said that the cartoon-like aesthetic of Dragon Quest may not immediately connect with western gamers.

“We’re still trying! [Laughs] It’s a topic we have been thinking about a lot internally: the question of why Final Fantasy is so much more popular than Dragon Quest in the west. One conclusion that we’ve reached is that it’s a question of historical timing. When the Famicom came out, Dragon Quest was the key game everyone was playing. But when the PlayStation came out, Final Fantasy VII was the game that everyone was playing. So the source of nostalgia is different for both groups: in Japan it’s Dragon Quest while overseas it’s Final Fantasy. The truth is that if we’d put a lot of effort into localising Dragon Quest at the time, we probably wouldn’t be facing this issue today. I probably shouldn’t be saying this, but we kind of messed up in that regard.

One thing that does stand out: in Japan the target audience for Dragon Quest is vast. It ranges from primary school students to people in their 50s. Now, Akira Toriyama’s art style is cartoonish, and in Japan that doesn’t alienate anyone; it’s not seen as childish. But outside of Japan, I think there’s often a stigma attached to that kind of aesthetic. Now, when an adult tries the game, they will discover that the subject matter is actually quite mature. Nevertheless, players are still left with this disconnect between how the game looks and how it plays. That’s a tension that just doesn’t exist in Japan. What we’re seeing now is that the age of people who are playing is rising. Interest is also increasing. We’re trying to put a lot more effort into promoting overseas the spinoff titles we’ve been working on – Dragon Quest Builders and Dragon Quest Heroes – in order to soften up the ground for Dragon Quest XI.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/squar...fantasy-in-the-west-keeping-the-series-fresh/

So Dragon Quest XI is coming here then. Thank god.

And I'm really grateful that they will be still be trying to bring it here and not putting the blame on the Western market. I really really hope Dragon Quest goes from horrible selling to at least viable. It's a wonderful series

Tohsaka

It'd be nice if they managed to give us a simultaneous release for DQXI. They did it for both FFXV and WoFF, so I'm sure they can do it if they want to.

t26

And I'm really grateful that they will be still be trying to bring it here and not putting the blame on the Western market. I really really hope Dragon Quest goes from horrible selling to at least viable. It's a wonderful series

Dragon Quest IX sold over a million copy between Europe and US. It is only the remake and spinoff that are having problem.

Faustek

You did good with VIII for Europe, finally, and got rewarded. You haven't done anything similar since then and neither have Sony stepped up again since then and Nintendo blew more of their wad state side only.
Go figure.

Square Enix have some real trouble with marketing here in the West.

Dragon Quest IX sold over a million copy between Europe and US. It is only the remake and spinoff that are having problem.

Was a steep fall from previous entry. Then again NOE have never been keen on marketing non first party entries.

Icolin

Banned
Best part is that it essentially confirms DQ XI for the West.

Great answer and he basically confirmed DQ XI for the west.

Definitely eases concern of dqxi not coming west.

Was ever really a doubt that it was coming to the west though? I mean, sure, you could point out those quotes where Square says that bringing it to the west depends on the success of the DQ spinoffs in the west, but I never really doubted that it was coming to the west regardless.

Anyways, great news.

I know but for some reason that had some heavy marketing from Nintendo + being on a super popular system. DQVIII sold well too but SE never capitalized on that, the series went into a strange limbo in the West where they didn't put enough effort to sell and it didn't.

I wonder how many more times they're going to try. The definition of insanity applies here.

I can only hope forever until it succeds otherwise I might have to restart my Japanese classes

Was ever really a doubt that it was coming to the west though? I mean, sure, you could point out those quotes where Square says that localizing it depends on the success of the DQ spinoffs in the west, but I never really doubted that it was coming to the west regardless.

With Dragon Quest you never know, there was always the chance it wouldn't.

Kouriozan

Dragon Quest X dream is dead...
Well, we live in a world where PSO2 still wasn't localized after all T-T
Was ever really a doubt that it was coming to the west though? I mean, sure, you could point out those quotes where Square says that bringing it to the west depends on the success of the DQ spinoffs in the west, but I never really doubted that it was coming to the west regardless.

Anyways, great news.
Spin-off "success"
I have to remind you that Heroes 1 bombed so hard in the US and yet we're getting Heroes 2, super late but still.

Dragon Quest 7 essentially missing the JRPG explosion in the west didn't help things either. Even if they managed to do a simultaneous release for DQ7, it would've still been releasing 2-3 months (depending on if you're talking about the US or Europe) before the PS2 launched.

opoth

Banned

Anyways, great news.

I had my doubts prior to the Heroes 2 announcement. That's when it felt like it was probably going to happen.

MAX PAYMENT

They may be on to something about older westerners not liking cartoon aesthetics.

Why do Japanese adults like cartoons as much as kids do?

I am convinced that DQ's commitment to tradition and nostalgia will forever limit the series' popularity in the West.

Most of us simply didn't grow up with the series and form the love for DQ's particular quirks. Similarly, any attempt to significantly change or modernise the series will likely be met with hostility from its Japanese fanbase.

It's like how Star Wars is cultural touchstone in the West, but only reasonably popular in China.

vaporeon

Well if SE poured the same insane amount of money advertising Dragon Quest in the west like they did with FF7, I'm sure it could do well. :)
Is Akira Toriyama's art style really considered alienating? Dragonball & such seems to be pretty recognizable in the west.

DiscoJer

I dunno. I'm not saying that Final Fantasy 7 wasn't huge on the Playstation, but I think it has the groundwork paved for it with Final Fantasy II and III (US naming) on the SNES.

Part of the reason Final Fantasy 7 was a big deal in the first place because people knew and loved the Final Fantasy brand

Meanwhile, there weren't any comparable Dragon Quests on the SNES outside Japan and really, I don't think Enix published much at all for SNES in NA. I know they did what, Ogre Battle, ActRaiser I & 2 and 7th Saga.

So very strange they would release those games (and Ogre Battle in apparently limited quantity) over their flagship series.

TriAceJP

That kind of happens when you fail to release any entry on the machine that most JRPG fans got their start.

I mean, we got Final Fantasy IV and VI and Dragon Quest gave us... Yeah.

Damn shame, because those three are the best Dragon Quest entries.

gblues

Banned
The Dragon Quest-Final Fantasy gulf predates FF7. If the franchise hadn't completely skipped the SNES, it probably would have done better. DQ7 came out on the PS1 was too little, too late.

Ridley327

Are you saying they should give up on the west? :(

I feel like Aenea is getting more at Squenix trying to make DQ as big as FF in the west, when the expectation should be that it's never going to happen, but it doesn't need to when it can do quite alright.

One thing that does stand out: in Japan the target audience for Dragon Quest is vast. It ranges from primary school students to people in their 50s. Now, Akira Toriyama’s art style is cartoonish, and in Japan that doesn’t alienate anyone; it’s not seen as childish. But outside of Japan, I think there’s often a stigma attached to that kind of aesthetic.

I'm not sure I buy this considering how popular DBZ is

fester

Banned
I wonder how many more times they're going to try. The definition of insanity applies here.

My concern is that their future attempts at "Westernizing" the series results in destroying a lot of what makes it great. A lot of the Final Fantasy experience has been homogenized over the years to the point where I've lost nearly all interest. DQXI is still something I'm very excited about.

Dragon Quest X dream is dead...
Well, we live in a world where PSO2 still wasn't localized after all T-T

Spin-off "success"
I have to remind you that Heroes 1 bombed so hard in the US and yet we're getting Heroes 2, super late but still.

Nothing will ever be later than DQ7 3DS, it's a miracle it happened

That kind of happens when you fail to release any entry on the machine that most JRPG fans got their start.

I mean, we got Final Fantasy IV and VI and Dragon Quest gave us... Yeah.

Damn shame, because those three are the best Dragon Quest entries.

2*

As weird as it seems DQIV is a NES game (and a localized one at that)

They may be on to something about older westerners not liking cartoon aesthetics.

Why not? I'm more confused by the weird stigma that surrounds cartoons, especially in the US.

opoth

Banned
The Dragon Quest-Final Fantasy gulf predates FF7. If the franchise hadn't completely skipped the SNES, it probably would have done better. DQ7 came out on the PS1 was too little, too late.

I think everyone remembers their first. Big nostalgia for DQ 1 and 2 on my end as a kid. Got the first free with a a Nintendo Power subscription which included a big map/poster/item list for 2 which really captured my imagination and made it the next game I really wanted to play.

I don't think I played FF1 until after the first 2 DQ.

zelas

I really hope SE gives DQXI the marketing push it deserves when it releases in the West
People really need to stop acting like marketing is the missing puzzle piece that determines every game's success.

No amount of marketing is going to make DQ appeal to mainstream gamers in the west. Many gamers who follow the industry closely are well aware of the series and they just arent interested. The series needs to change if they're interested in bigger success.

RPGam3r

I think the cartoonish graphics are part of the "problem". I'll be honest in saying that it would be cool to see a DQ that didn't make me think of DBZ.

People really need to stop acting like marketing is the missing puzzle piece that determines every game's success.

No amount of marketing is going to make DQ appeal to mainstream gamers in the west. Many gamers who follow the industry closely are well aware of the series and they just arent interested. The series needs to change if they're interested in bigger success.

Nah, you're living in a world where 8 and 9 sold well. Marketing is definitely one big thing that they're always missing. DQ7 3DS got barely none

I think the cartoonish graphics are part of the "problem". I'll be honest in saying that it would be cool to see a DQ that didn't make me think of DBZ.

That would honestly kill a lot of the game's uniqueness. You're better off playing Final Fantasy or something

random25

Dragon Quest XI PS4 is a given.

The 3DS version, however...

Nintendo has been helping a lot in pushing DQ games on the 3DS outside of Japan. So maybe there's a chance...

Anime is a huge part of Japanese entertainment as a whole, not just for kids' entertainment but for adults as well. So aesthetics like those aren't as alien as the other parts of the world treat them to be.

Ridley327

Isn't the major reasons why Enix wanted to merge with Square was because of Square's successes overseas?

Yeah, and they've been reaping the rewards ever since. It's just that DQ really hasn't happened on the same level that it has in Japan, and I don't know why they keep thinking that it will.

jwhit28

Did they have some sort of deal with Nintendo where they had to bring all the NES games to the US? I wonder how different things would have been if they gave up on NES releases early and focused on SNES localizations early.

Missing the entire SNES generation doomed them for me in terms of "nostalgia factor".

opoth

Banned
I'd play Dragon Quest but I fucking hate the Dragon Ball character designs. I can't look past it. Sorry GAF.

It's funny, the series didn't really have that feel in the West until VII on PS1. Obviously the original Japanese cart artwork showcased that, but the in-game monster/character artwork never screamed DBZ to me on the NES.

Faustek

Ōkami;227570286 said:
IX sold more than VIII in the west.

Not in the old country.

Well if SE poured the same insane amount of money advertising Dragon Quest in the west like they did with FF7, I'm sure it could do well. :)
Is Akira Toriyama's art style really considered alienating? Dragonball & such seems to be pretty recognizable in the west.

They can't. Sony did it for them then.
Microsoft did it for XIII
Sony did a Shit ton for them during PS2 days.
Nintendo is doing.. It weirdly. Can't speak for the states but it's kinda invisible in Europe.

RPGam3r

Nah, you're living in a world where 8 and 9 sold well. Marketing is definitely one big thing that they're always missing. DQ7 3DS got barely none

That would honestly kill a lot of the game's uniqueness. You're better off playing Final Fantasy or something

Are you trying to prove my point in some weird round about way?

For once in this kind of interviews, the answer is honest and probably correct. I don't think they will ever succeed in making DQ particularly popular in the West though, for the reasons outlined.

Weren't 8 and 9 million sellers? I mean that's a really good number, but a mainline FF selling a million would be a catastrophic failure. I'm not sure if any amount of marketing can make the series match Western FF sales.

Keep in mind Battleborn had a hefty marketing program too.

Top Bottom