• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix's stock falls by 30%

K2D

Banned
I really shouldn't dignify this with a response cause you know you're full of shit proposing day and date launches of Remake and 16 would move "10's of thousands" of units, or a even "couple hundred thousand". But no I wasn't just talking about Xbox, I was assuming a day and date release on PC as well, which Sony's exclusivity contracts also explicitly bar.
Yes I believe Sony wanted a PS1 FF7 situation, but we haven't seen the contract and I don't think Sony are that worried about PC any longer. 6 months for PS dev assistance?

Well again, it would be a different scenario if they went multiplatform where they wouldn't get the same support from Sony and probably wouldn't release on Switch 1 at all..

Xbox.. I've only heard reports on how FF-sales on Xbox 360 compared PS3, and those were days where main stream users were more spread out between the two platforms. 360 was ahead on consoles sold for a couple of years. FFXIII on PS3 outsold 360 2:1. Compare that to today where Xbox is synonymous with gamepass, and copies sold (I predict) are maybe even lower due to this a la carte service.

^
Lower than 2:1 because of sensibilities between the console adopters.
Lower still due to gamepass.
Lower even than that due to install base - are we guessing 2:1 or 1.5:1?
So I'm guessing maybe 500 to 700 K tops for remake, maybe the same for 16..?

I see pc selling the same as Xbox, or a little more seeing their attention or lack there of to the pc port.

Hell.. There are even OG 7 fans proclaiming they won't play 7 remake until they're all bundled or until part 3 is out. Pc will still be in 2028 (or when SE are thinking)..

I could see 7 remake and 16 doing quite well on Switch 2 also. But I think square has spread out pretty thinly lately, as we can see with their numerous releases the latest year. Will probably see a big splash with Switch 2. Maybe not part 2 for a while.. I can see a lot of smaller switch 2 ports in steady supply doing quite well.

Rebirth will do very well I think. Lots of fence sitters opting in as the story really takes off..

Last edited:

Freeman76

Thats what happens when you turn your best series into a copy paste action game, and keep your games off too many other platforms. Poor decisions lead to poor pofit.

I mean JRPGs doesn't sell on Xbox (look at gems like Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, nobody gave a fuck), and the sales on PC are limited. So yeah Square missed 23 sales on Xbox and 372 on PC, oh no.

Those games only sell on PS and Nintendo consoles.
Exactly!! I don’t know why it seems like so many people don’t know about this.

graywolf323

Bloomberg writer with who constantly spins any SE/Sony news to make it appear as negative as possible. Makes bad assumptions and adds his own (or maybe not his own...he could be getting a check by an outside entity) opinion into his story pieces.
he even had that one article regarding PlayStation recently that resulted in a rather unprecedented smack down from Sony IIRC? usually companies just ignore these things or say no comment but Mochizuki’s article was so bad they went as far as to flat out refute it

fake edit: it was about PSVR 2 production being cut

nial

Gold Member
I think the worst part of Square Enix is the Enix part. The shouldn't have merged. I never liked Enix games. I think they were bland looking and never appealed to me. Squaresoft should have bought the team that created Xenosaga, Xenogears and all the current Xeno games. Those guys make pretty cool games.
Nier is from the Enix part tho.

Go_Ly_Dow

No. Its due to games like Forspoken and Avengers that didn't sell well or were received almost universally negatively. FFXVI met expectations. The bigger issue is that Square has shown no real effort to correct these mistakes in the months and months prior, instead doubling down on the failing Mobile Market, overpriced merchandise (remember the 12,000 USD Terra statue? The 1700 USD Turntable? The 700 USD Chess Set?), and the CEO's NFT fetish.
Correct. Also the massive amount of shovelware and mid games they've released the past few years.

They need to reign in all the trash and focus all these resources on making a smaller amount of very high quality games.

iQuasarLV

he even had that one article regarding PlayStation recently that resulted in a rather unprecedented smack down from Sony IIRC? usually companies just ignore these things or say no comment but Mochizuki’s article was so bad they went as far as to flat out refute it

fake edit: it was about PSVR 2 production being cut

I guess I am going to play Devil's Advocate, but wouldn't "Forecasted" and "Production" number reductions are completely different. Some people read that article wrong to be honest.

ByWatterson

Given that FFXVI met mid-level expectations - games that do poorly don't get TWO paid DLCs, come on, guys - and got a bag from Sony, this seems entirely attributable to Forspoken (which was a true, expensive bust) and their frivolous pursuit of NFTs.

Last edited:

RickMasters

square always sets absurd expectations for their releases.

also releasing only on ps5 (so far) probably didn't help
This. We hear it from them with every game. Even when they sell a million plus.

As for being exclusive Ibguess they count on their fans all being on PlayStation. They only have themselves to blame when they don’t make their games available to everybody. I know I was looking forward to octopath two, as I played the first one on Xbox. I know I have all the final fantasy games on Xbox yet they won’t sell me Xbox versions of pixel remaster, or the FF7 remake. Games which I will readily buy right now if they were on Xbox. I’m not sorry for them. They didn’t want my money. They didn’t want me to play their games on my console of choice. So good luck to them.

Hudo

I do not like the aesthetics, and by now they are old ass games. I probably will never try them.
The Dragon Quest games are old? DQ12 is in production as we speak (along other games). And these are firmly managed from the Enix side.

Matsuchezz

The Dragon Quest games are old? DQ12 is in production as we speak (along other games). And these are firmly managed from the Enix side.
Yeah, I know there are DQ games that are recent or are in production, and since you weren't specific on the DQ release I assumed that you meant the first game. Anyway that is just my pov. I do not like Enix games. I own Nier btw. I have yet to start it.

-Zelda-

Banned
What is Yoko Taro actually doing these days? Is he really that busy with that Nier mobile game?
to be honest, I don't really know. Seems like lots of collabs. Still, I want a new console game from him since I am going throw a Yoko Taro withdraw.

Myths

The vocal minority/nostalgic cult following that thinks a turn-based entry will perform or appeal any better is outright laughable.

theclaw135

Banned
The vocal minority/nostalgic cult following that thinks a turn-based entry will perform or appeal any better is outright laughable.

It would, if the combat mechanics derive from the cherished trio of FF4, FF6, and FF7.
The polarizing response to FF8 is primarily to blame for Square's confused approach all these years.

K2D

Banned

I would take a current generation FF in the vein of 6/7/8/9/10 any day of the week. It's not nostalgia.

The writing is better. The artstyle is better. I liked the music more.. The games had more content.

The turn based is more my style - can't say it's better or worse. To this day I can still play the old Fallout games in isometric turn based gameplay (with bug fixes obviously).

There is no problem iterating on turn-based, and I have no qualms with them mixing it up with action based gameplay occasionally (though I might not partake myself).

TEeNpUe.jpg

It would, if the combat mechanics derive from the cherished trio of FF4, FF6, and FF7.
The polarizing response to FF8 is primarily to blame for Square's confused approach all these years.

Nah, they're chasing trends - graphics and style. And they wanted their games to be more like anime, hence the action oriented sway.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

When this thread was posted, I'm sure all the turn-based FF fans were tripping over themselves to post in this thread and say "I told you so" and "FF XVI sucks".

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

I would take a current generation FF in the vein of 6/7/8/9/10 any day of the week. It's not nostalgia.

The writing is better. The artstyle is better. I liked the music more.. The games had more content.

The turn based is more my style - can't say it's better or worse. To this day I can still play the old Fallout games in isometric turn based gameplay (with bug fixes obviously).

There is no problem iterating on turn-based, and I have no qualms with them mixing it up with action based gameplay occasionally (though I might not partake myself).

TEeNpUe.jpg

Nah, they're chasing trends - graphics and style. And they wanted their games to be more like anime, hence the action oriented sway.
As of March 2022 FFX+X-2 sales were just short of 21million, so this isn't accurate.

FFX is as about as big as FFVII, so they did manage to make an FF game that could stand up to it. It just took the remaster to make that apparent.

Last edited:
I don't really care if a FF game is turn based or action. What I dislike is when Square tries to ape a Western TV show.

Stay unapologetically Japanese.

Reactions: K2D

K2D

Banned
As of March 2022 FFX+X-2 sales were just short of 21million, so this isn't accurate.

FFX is as about as big as FFVII, so they did manage to make an FF game that could stand up to it. It just took the remaster to make that apparent.
These look like figures without remaster sales taken into the equation, so good numbers for the sake of argument..

Not every title has recieved a note worthy update like a "remaster".

And FFX "remaster" was imo a rip-off.

orimagdos

Banned
Suprise, suprise! That Takeshi Bloomberg report on FFXVI sales not meeting Square's expectations was bullshit it seems.

The article was 100% correct and as time goes by it will be apparent to everyone.

Ff16 had sold 3m copies until the beginning of august and today its total sales are probably no more than 3.01m

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The article was 100% correct and as time goes by it will be apparent to everyone.

Ff16 had sold 3m copies until the beginning of august and today its total sales are probably no more than 3.01m
I've stopped trying to argue it at this point. I guess his other huge sin was pointing out that PSVR2 is not doing great.

I think some people really couldn't handle it if they didn't believe he was an anti-Sony agent spreading all false info, so I just let them have their blanket. I couldn't take the blanket anyway if I wanted.

Top Bottom