• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen's StarEngine Demo

nemiroff

Gold Member
There is a free alternative that works pretty well just needs a webcam preferably 120Hz. I used to use it in Flight Simulator and it was pretty solid unless you obscured your face or another person entered the field of view.
Yeah, I used OpenTracker as an alternative for a bit, it works pretty well. But the added layer of eye tracking on top of head tracking in the Tobii is more useful to me. Not to mention it's rock solid (i've been using it in both Star Citizen and Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 the last few days. The only cumbersome experience had was that there's quite a few parameters to tweak in-game to find the perfect sweet spot.

So GTA6 in 2025 means (if we suppose that release a game among GTA6 will be bit stupid) Squadron 42 must be 2026+ release. Just logic.
2024 is very unlikely.
Fuck that, let's go full Respawn Titanfall 2 Hubris Mode. SQ42 release date same day as GTA6.

Actually isn't Rockstar doing that no PC version at launch bullshit again with GTA6? In that case I mean it unironically.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Fuck that, let's go full Respawn Titanfall 2 Hubris Mode. SQ42 release date same day as GTA6.

Actually isn't Rockstar doing that no PC version at launch bullshit again with GTA6? In that case I mean it unironically.
Man I completely forgot GTA6 is not on PC but we saw some releases outshadowed by releasing the game among big hits Probably means nothing, just thought.

Buggy Loop

So GTA6 in 2025 means (if we suppose that release a game among GTA6 will be bit stupid) Squadron 42 must be 2026+ release. Just logic.
2024 is very unlikely.

I mean CIG wouldn't care for GTA 6 would they? They have >4M backers waiting on SQ42. They already made the majority of their money. Unless its got a GOTY battle or something.

Wasn't GTA 5 widely beaten by the Last of Us? GTA sales are monster for sure but not like the highest regarded standard of games when they release, criticism runs rampant for Rockstar games.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I mean CIG wouldn't care for GTA 6 would they? They have >4M backers waiting on SQ42. They already made the majority of their money. Unless its got a GOTY battle or something.

Wasn't GTA 5 widely beaten by the Last of Us? GTA sales are monster for sure but not like the highest regarded standard of games when they release, criticism runs rampant for Rockstar games.
Yeah, it was just random thoughts. I forgot that GTA6 is not on PC but well remember that both Horizons on PS was outshadowed by Zelda games so I thought releasing game among with GTA is stupid and 2024 is too early so 2026. Maybe 2025 after all!
Wait a minute, where the hell does that come from? Its not from Citizencon.

And its the new ship interface too !

Is it closer than we thought? It's a leak from the NDA'd testers or something?
It's from reddit.
'Be aware, this video is from a ex-CIG dev who appears to have left the company approx. 8mo ago. The effect may have changed significantly.'

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Occasionally found this vid
New quantum VFX

That VFX is delicious.

I just hope we don't have to keep fiddling with the controls like that for long travels, would be exhausting,lol

Edit: Wait, it locks on eventually. Perhaps it's about low grade vs high grade QT drives.

Wait a minute, where the hell does that come from? Its not from Citizencon.

And its the new ship interface too !

Is it closer than we thought? It's a leak from the NDA'd testers or something?

Perhaps they're just feeling more confident in sharing bits and pieces in the wake of the "surprisingly" good feedback they got from CC2953.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Perhaps they're just feeling more confident in sharing bits and pieces in the wake of the "surprisingly" good feedback they got from CC2953.

As someone on reddit said, feels like whatever we are playing right now on PU is the duct taped 4 years outdated demo to have "something" to test their stuffs (duh) but that they're now way far in the tech after SQ42. If they implement most of what was presented at Citizencon in the next 12 months, it's gonna be wild.

I read you like Tobii btw? I still haven't found my sweet spot for settings but I found it satisfactory from the go, I think the deadzones are the tweaks that are most important. What I hate more is that the pilot's head wobble all the time which kind of fucks up the head tracking perception, but that is also true with the trackIR, it's inherent to the game and I don't know if there's a way to stop this. Never going back to TrackIR after this though, to just enable it and game is brilliant.

nemiroff

Gold Member
As someone on reddit said, feels like whatever we are playing right now on PU is the duct taped 4 years outdated demo to have "something" to test their stuffs (duh) but that they're now way far in the tech after SQ42. If they implement most of what was presented at Citizencon in the next 12 months, it's gonna be wild.

I read you like Tobii btw? I still haven't found my sweet spot for settings but I found it satisfactory from the go, I think the deadzones are the tweaks that are most important. What I hate more is that the pilot's head wobble all the time which kind of fucks up the head tracking perception, but that is also true with the trackIR, it's inherent to the game and I don't know if there's a way to stop this. Never going back to TrackIR after this though, to just enable it and game is brilliant.
Yes, definitely not gonna send it back.. I like it a lot.

But yeah, there's a surprising amount of settings to tune, especially in MSFS, it was overwhelming to not understand what each setting was doing. But I'm getting there.

I think another big part is just to get used to it. I need to train my neurotransmitters to get the muscle memory in order.

Buggy Loop

What a shit night. I got ganked for Weevil eggs at the scrapyard.

Then I found 46 sCU of SLAM on a VHRT. I load the cargo of the Corsair, I'm like, easy money right? Don't even need to go to a scrapyard for that nor even risk PVP with CRU L4 buying that thing.

I press to enter pilot seat... I don't enter seat. I can't walk, jump, prone, press to exit seat? Nothing.. fucking hell... I ALT F4, maybe I'll repsawn in the ship? Nope, I spawn in bed. Now the ship is still somewhere in asteroids, but the shit starmap system means you can't put a marker not find your ship. Finding that in the asteroid belt is like finding a needle in a haystack..

FFFFUUUUUU SC :messenger_face_steam:, I'll go back to play tomorrow :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Buggy Loop

Whole cargo selling systems seem to be broken today. Every items I loot are now in no demand, in all kinds of servers (Asia, EU, USA) and multiple attempts and places I tried.

Seems like they have to slap a server reset or something, the "refresh" tick for creating demand on cargo seems broken on server side. My favorite gameplay loop of bounty hunting + cargo is now dead..

Buggy Loop

Guy who leaked QT VFX before has a new vid

He inserted sounds but that’s not representative of what we would hear for QT.

The squadron coming out of QT one after another is a beauty. The Hammerhead creating the QT is almost like a black hole in front of him.

I really hope they kept this or even further improved on that.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Guy who leaked QT VFX before has a new vid

He inserted sounds but that’s not representative of what we would hear for QT.

The squadron coming out of QT one after another is a beauty. The Hammerhead creating the QT is almost like a black hole in front of him.

I really hope they kept this or even further improved on that.

This "leak" is a little weird. Wasn't the video shown at CC anyway, or so I heard. But I have a feeling the guy probably worked on the vfx in Star Engine himself. Take a look at his LinkedIn, is this why he's so "cloaked" about it:

Senior VFX Artist
Cloud Imperium Games · Full-time Jun 2022 - May 2023

Senior VFX Artist
Ripstone · Full-time May 2023 - Present

Idk

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

This "leak" is a little weird. Wasn't the video shown at CC anyway, or so I heard. But I have a feeling the guy probably worked on the vfx in Star Engine himself. Take a look at his LinkedIn, is this why he's so "cloaked" about it:

Senior VFX Artist
Cloud Imperium Games · Full-time Jun 2022 - May 2023

Senior VFX Artist
Ripstone · Full-time May 2023 - Present

Idk

Not the same as Citizencon but yea, basically what it seems like is that he’s promoting his portfolio now that CIG has showcased the new effect that seems different than his (although we haven’t seen outside)

Buggy Loop

San'Tok.Yai alien ship is now in EPTU

They really nail alien ships in this game, sounds weird, like an insect. It apparently even breathes with some pannels moving like an accordeaon

Leaked info from the pipeline is that the Idris war game is being tested

Also rumors are hinting that 3.22 will raise up prices of a lot of in-game ships, so I did as many cargo runs as possible and tried to buy, while they're cheap in-game right now, ships. They might "pop" out of existence whenever there's a wipe and maybe not, buying ingame ships is basically the only thing to do with credits anyway. Tonight I want to buy Mercury Star Runner as its not 4.9 ish millions, in 3.22 PTU its not 24M. Likely a price adjustment to reflect that soon game mechanics will make a lot of ships have new functions, like MSR will be a data runner, but as of now it was nothing but a fast ship.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Making millions in the game for a while now with bounty hunting cargo.

Decided to purchase in-game ships, especially with the rumour of price hikes in 3.22.

P-72 - This thing, mad respect for racers I see online, I had no clue how hard racing was until I tried it.

0CPW3xx.jpg

Hawk - Bounty hunting ship with prisoner cell in preparation for when the game supports it

txFsHUw.jpg

Mercury Star Runner - This is the Millennium Falcon of Star Citizen, there's it's one of the fastest ship, has a crew, has chess, hidden cargo compartment, has a lot of cargo capabilities, has a scanning station for eventual exploration/data, etc. It's meant for Data running gameloop which will be added later. This ship is 4.9M now, about to be 24M.

FEjqqRY.jpg

Might lose all ships in case of a wipe but I mean, what to do with the ingame money either way. I hope they have enough persistence now that ships don't just pop out after major patches.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Presentation of the 3 new ships in 3.22 and features

Also, towards the end he gives the list of things to be implemented by mid 2024 and wow, they have a LOT of the citizencon tech being implemented freaking soon.
Glad that Starmap is in!
BTW from Discord:
Everything that was revealed by Jared as scheduled and/or on track for release in the first half of 2024:
  • Master Modes
  • Persistent Hangars
  • FPS combat improvements: reloading, wear, misfires
  • Updated EVA
  • Updated Scopes
  • Dynamic crosshair
  • Charge & drain guns
  • Visor and lens system
  • Updated loot screen
  • New interaction system
  • New mobiGlas apps
  • New character customizer
  • Reworked mobiglas and starmap
  • Distribution centers
  • Several new/updated vehicles
  • 4.0:
    • Pyro's planets, moons, stations
    • Jump points
    • new QT
    • new HUD and MFDs
    • Resource management
    • Hacking
    • Targeted for Summer 2024 (Q2/Q3), but earlier on the Tech Preview channel.

Buggy Loop

Trailer for it

I tried the patch last night. The hair looks fantastic and has no detectable performance problems. Witchcraft. An MMO with this kind of hair is blowing my mind. It’s way more efficient than the solutions Nvidia and AMD have made.

Also all ships I bought in-game pre 3.22 have transferred so I’m quite happy. I bought a Vulture and I’m gonna test salvaging tonight. Apparently there’s 2.4M aUEC / hour to be done with Vulture salvaging. Gonna take advantage of that before it’s patched 😅

Buggy Loop

leak-new-concept-heavy-fighter-name-unknown-v0-7s604otgw07c1.jpeg

Leaked Mirai heavy fighter

Its beautiful
its beautiful teh lurd of teh rings GIF

By the way, its confirmed that 2023 has beaten 2022 funding, so 2023 is now the #1 year in funding for Star Citizen. I guess a lot of peoples being disappointed in Starfield and seeing Citizencon changed the trajectory drastically because 2023 was dragging before october.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Another aggregated Star Engine and Star Citizen info for 2024.

A nice list of meaningful things coming Live in 2024 (as mentioned before in the thread) starts at about 5 minutes in.

Server meshing is active albeit in a small scale yet, but it's being rolled out in testing.

n1uxmzY.png

I think it's going to be a great 2024. Things are coming together for reals. And no seams to be seen.

Glad that Starmap is in!
Yeah, definitely me too.

By the way, its confirmed that 2023 has beaten 2022 funding, so 2023 is now the #1 year in funding for Star Citizen. I guess a lot of peoples being disappointed in Starfield and seeing Citizencon changed the trajectory drastically because 2023 was dragging before october.
Yup. Judging by the still continuing buzz Citizencon took many people by surprise, including me.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Well, that's exactly what's happened to me :messenger_winking_tongue:
Suddenly exiting my 125c and jump into friend's ship while hovering 10km above ground became exquisite to SC. That's only game where you can do this.
I'm backer from early 2018 and forgot about SC because development was too slow. Also there was plenty of good games to play. However I was never in "Scam Citizen" camp. Those guys need to research real scam games.

Buggy Loop

They tested Static server meshing on evo server and even on first attempt the feedback from testers is super positive

The server meshing playtest of 2024/2/29 was in my experience absolutely fantastic. One of the most stable evo testing environments ever. the group I was with had a party nearly evenly distributed between Stanton and Pyro.

We couldn't see global in the other system, so only people who had partied beforehand were able to speak in party chat between the systems, but both text and audio in party chat worked. To add more people to the party we were able to pass lead between people in both systems so they could add members from global on both sides.

the trader app was either totally offline, or locked to a system. possibly just oversight.

there appears to have been a bug where from some places you could see both stars, although this could have been weird lighting or something else entirely.

The shard our group was in (010) had the stanton side go down first and recovery took about 3 minutes, with missions being lost, but armistice came back immediately and position and recovery were in good shape. I believe the pyro side went down a while later and had a short recovery as well. performance was comparable to live as far as frames per second and server time, but the thing we all noticed was that there were LOTS of NPCs in all of the landing zones and they were ACTIVE. walking, moving, seemingly purposefull. I didn't run any bunkers or anything to see what they were like in combat, but the space combat seemed responsive as well.

Personally I spent my time just engaging with it like a normal play session on a clean patch, buying ship equipment and prepping as if it was a new patch then starting to run bounty missions.

I'm super happy to have been part of this and I think it bodes well for future tests considering the improvement from even the last replication layer tests.

Disclaimer: NO IMAGES OR VIDEOS OF THE TESTS ARE TO BE POSTED IN THIS THREAD. Per CIG, discussion is no longer a breach of NDA, but all media is still protected. This is all my own experience and opinion.

They had Pyro and Stanton at the same time but they could not yet travel through the wormhole, but players could party up on either side.

They fucking did it. This was basically to make sure the replication layer would function cross server side, but for a first attempt it's only gonna be improved. I bet wormhole and pyro to stanton functionality very soon.

This is a massive step in the direction of an MMO revolution.

Buggy Loop

Maybe not. Iirc gen12 renderer was needed and gen12≠ Vulkan. Although gen12 is necessary for vulkan

Oh I was thinking of this Dev’s comment

fe2wnw2v57q91.png

But maybe it’s not needed, but we wouldn’t see the benefit as it’s CPU bound, frame gen would help though.

Last edited:

Ribi

Oh I was thinking of this Deb’s comment

fe2wnw2v57q91.png

But maybe it’s not needed, but we wouldn’t see the benefit as it’s CPU bound, frame gen would help though.
Hmm maybe not. But I can't imagine a world where Vulkan is in and there isn't a card for it. For as long as they've been pushing Vulkan they would definitely do a card or statement for vulkan only.

When was that post

Buggy Loop

Hmm maybe not. But I can't imagine a world where Vulkan is in and there isn't a card for it. For as long as they've been pushing Vulkan they would definitely do a card or statement for vulkan only.

When was that post

Reddit has no date but ~a year ago

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yeah I've seen plenty of people talking about the massive significance of the upcoming patch.

Just the new dynamic map is going to be a big thing. The old map is basically what made me stop playing the game.

Not mention the UI/mobiglass improvements, and of course gameplay features and improvements.

Oh I was thinking of this Dev’s comment

fe2wnw2v57q91.png

Sounds odd.. I don't fully agree with that guy. Is 4K in this game really not having any impact on performance whatsoever...? The image quality improvements that would ensue DLSS is definitely not nothing. And once they start to optimize, AND RT injected...

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Incredible the changes we'll see in upcoming months. Many things from this video in 3.23.

I just want to see SQ42.............................released. it has been 10 years.

This year Citizencon, at Manchester, I 100% believe they drop the release date.

For real this time. The feeling behind what we see is totally different than previous tentatives. It's not like oh yeah, they're have that stuff working somehow by X release date. They've shown the stuffs needed to make SQ42 a reality and even better than that, we see the implementations of that tech coming into Star Citizen and it will be such a massive update in the coming 6 months that basically it's as big of a leap on SC as 2015 was for the PU.

So much of the team left SQ42 to work on SC. We now see their work of transferring the tech from SQ42 to SC in these patches massive patches.

Ribi

Wow, their character creator went from being one of the worst to one of the most impressive looking at those changes. Looking forward to the new styles and features that'll be added down the road. Curious to know if they'll put restrictions to the monstrosities no doubt somebody will try to create for Sq42.

Ribi

Wow, their character creator went from being one of the worst to one of the most impressive looking at those changes. Looking forward to the new styles and features that'll be added down the road. Curious to know if they'll put restrictions to the monstrosities no doubt somebody will try to create for Sq42.
The restrictions to the monstrosities probably comes from their initial "DNA blend" system. By using real scans it ensures the proportions don't get too extreme while also keeping a high quality. Some people did notice that if you move one side of the face the other only slightly moves so perhaps asymmetrical shapes are possible.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Incredible the changes we'll see in upcoming months. Many things from this video in 3.23.

This year Citizencon, at Manchester, I 100% believe they drop the release date.

For real this time. The feeling behind what we see is totally different than previous tentatives. It's not like oh yeah, they're have that stuff working somehow by X release date. They've shown the stuffs needed to make SQ42 a reality and even better than that, we see the implementations of that tech coming into Star Citizen and it will be such a massive update in the coming 6 months that basically it's as big of a leap on SC as 2015 was for the PU.

So much of the team left SQ42 to work on SC. We now see their work of transferring the tech from SQ42 to SC in these patches massive patches.

God, never thought I'd get excited by a character creator ... and the ability to import/export models and save your character design-in-progress is great. I usually skip these type of episodes but I'm glad I didn't this time.

Last edited:

Ribi

God, never thought I'd get excited by a character creator ... and the ability to import/export models and save your character design-in-progress is great. I usually skip these type of episodes but I'm glad I didn't this time.
Bearded ladies got ya going huh?

Buggy Loop

With the inside star citizen this week ending with a teaser of a lady taking a selfie with some kind of flying creatures in the background and now this

I think this is one of the surprise they reserve for 3.23 and should probably be showcased soon, next week maybe. Fauna finally

That cave creature is creepy as fuck. Imagine if it stalks you in caves? I would shit my spacesuit. That’s why we also need hygiene patch soon after 3.23.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
With the inside star citizen this week ending with a teaser of a lady taking a selfie with some kind of flying creatures in the background and now this

I think this is one of the surprise they reserve for 3.23 and should probably be showcased soon, next week maybe. Fauna finally

That cave creature is creepy as fuck. Imagine if it stalks you in caves? I would shit my spacesuit. That’s why we also need hygiene patch soon after 3.23.
They’ve been hinting heavily at fauna. I think we will get 3.23 or 4.0. It’s crazy to think the 4.x branch might be the last of the alphas.

Buggy Loop

They’ve been hinting heavily at fauna. I think we will get 3.23 or 4.0. It’s crazy to think the 4.x branch might be the last of the alphas.

Feels like what used to be a messy ball of wool from the aftermath of the feature creep and got everyone down on the game, that since last Citizencon everything seems to be aligned technology wise for things to release in the coming year. Feels like they neglected the SC PU mainly to work and focus on the tech needed to make a huge change.

That the evo text servers are even having success with server meshing so soon after it was demo'd at the conference is mind blowing. I've got huge hopes for this year. Hell, even 3.23 is feeling like the most transformative patch in the history of Star Citizen. I don't even want to play it right now, because it feels I would waste my time anyway with the drastic changes that are coming.

Top Bottom