• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 3 NA box art (and others)

Bebpo

Banned
jarrod said:
Not announced but I'd imagine they are with how well DQ5 performed. And really, DQ5 doesn't look too great, like an early DC game... maybe they figure Americans won't pay full price for each game alone (or SCEA won't approve them) and viola... nice bundle. :)

Yeah, but there's is very VERY good chance the DQVI remake will run on the DQVIII engine just as the DQIV remake ran on the DQVII engine and then DQV remake ran on a slightly upgraded DQVII engine.

If they do remake DQVI with great DQVIII style graphics there is no reason why they wouldn't sell it solo in the US to maximize profits.

Personally I think DQV will come out in the US 6 months after DQVIII if that title sells well. I mean if DQVIII shows a good-sized US fanbase then there's no point in not-releasing a game that will sell a nice amount.

jarrod

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah, but there's is very VERY good chance the DQVI remake will run on the DQVIII engine just as the DQIV remake ran on the DQVII engine and then DQV remake ran on a slightly upgraded DQVII engine.
DQV ran on the Torneko 3 engine. And I expect DQVI will too...

Bebpo said:
If they do remake DQVI with great DQVIII style graphics there is no reason why they wouldn't sell it solo in the US to maximize profits.
They won't though, it'd be a waste of Level 5's resources when Arte Piazza could plug DQVI into the Torneko 3 engine faster, for less money and it'd still probably sell the same. Besides, Level 5 will be too busy with Dark Cloud 3 and DQ Online.

AniHawk

DMczaf said:
281025b.jpg

GotY. GotfY.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
u_neek: That game is called "Shikigami no Shiro II" over yonder. GC first, then DC, then XB then PS2. I think. Either way it's a solid shooter and worth the money, it feels better than the first one to me as well.

I thought the whole reason they broke from their practice of using the DQ(n+3) engine for a remake of DQ(n), with DQ5 remake, was that going from a tile-based overhead-perspective display with SD characters to a fully 3D behind-the-character view with taller characters would just be too drastic a change. Going from DQ3 to DQ6 engine, or even from DQ4 to DQ7 (3D, but still overhead view, basically tile-based, SD characters) you can keep the basic setup of the game and just improve things, but converting DQ5 or 6 to use DQ8's system would make it completely different game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Regarding the SO3 boxart, I don't see how one could complain that much...

I mean, at least they didn't just grab a few characters standing around and throw them on the cover.

belgurdo

Banned
Why are people pimping the Japanese SO3 cover so hard? It's a logo over a solid colored background, probably the blandest style of cover you can get (and it only works with Final Fantasy anyway, to keep the "allure" of the game fresh.) At least the US cover looks interesting on a shelf.

Razoric

Banned
belgurdo said:
Why are people pimping the Japanese SO3 cover so hard? It's a logo over a solid colored background, probably the blandest style of cover you can get (and it only works with Final Fantasy anyway, to keep the "allure" of the game fresh.) At least the US cover looks interesting on a shelf.

IAWTP

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
That Crash: Twinsanity box looks terrible. It's easily the worst I've seen in quite some time. It looks like one of those crappy Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network cartoons.

Anywho, I'll be getting Pokemon Fire Red, Sims 2, and Star Ocean

Chrono

Banned
belgurdo said:

Because people have different opinions, and some like the japanese one. This thread is about Star Ocean's and other game box arts. It's not complicated, really. ;)

belgurdo said:

It simplicity which is what alot of people like. Just look at the original MGS box, or several Zelda boxes. Just the games logo and that's it. But they worked.

Buggy Loop

I actually prefer the US one to the japanese's, omgwtf! Simplicity is good sometimes but its not like the US boxart use the typical fugly western style of boxards, the its hand drawn art rather than CG for one, the white blue'ish feathers are cool and the character is in a cool pose. Logo is just like the jpn one too so thats bonus points.

I like it.

Area 51 boxart is really good though, that game might surprise, the video previews i saw were interesting.

Top Bottom