• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean Fan here.... Which Tales of games should i try first?

Star Ocean, which I just realized was made from former Tales of developers, is kinda died :[

Which Tales of game should i try first to fill the void?

HarryKS

Genuinely, none of them are particularly good. Not saying this to be THAT guy, but they have no ambition and are not very interesting in general.

Try the Wild Arms instead. 1 or 2.

Cornbread78

Star Ocean, which I just realized was made from former Tales of developers, is kinda died :[

Which Tales of game should i try first to fill the void?

Well, what do you like about Star Ocean?

Tales of Berseria is the best of the recent bunch, Zesteria is closely related with a great cast, but meh story telling and weapon system. Xillia & Xillia 2 are alright with everything, Graces f has the best combat, and catchy OP to sing along with in times of strife:

Just don't let people tell you the DS, PS2 or Vesperia are the best.... Yuri is one of the best protags, but it ends there, lol

Cornbread78

Genuinely, none of them are particularly good. Not saying this to be THAT guy, but they have no ambition and are not very interesting in general.

Try the Wild Arms instead. 1 or 2.

Well, shit opinions are shit opinions.... we are all entitled to them

I loved White Knight Chronicles 1&2

TidusYuna

If you like the tales team Star Ocean games then you have great taste. You should give Tales of Symphonia a try first.

tenor.gif

Graciaus

You should start with the first one which is Destiny. The combat changes when it goes to 3d a lot and each game is a little different. Once it hits Graces it changes significantly and makes the old games hard to go back to.

But SO and Tales don't have much in common mechanics wise.

Furball

As big SO fan , I recommend Tales of Grace F . Because it has one of Tales best combat which basically the most important aspect of tales game
Unlike SO game , Tales game really formulaic , they barely play different , story is more of the same with different character and cliché . They pretty much lacking in most of department and focus less on RPG element so thing such as Crafting, equipment , side content , branching character ,Op build character .... are all shallow

Play one game and u almost play all of them so I recommend Grace F which has the best and most different combat system

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Symphonia
Vesperia
Berseria

Those 3 are solid, with latter two being easy to get a hold of and and former's last release being an HD Remaster on PS3, alongside its not very good sequel.

The issue with Star Ocean, is after several failed attempts at grabbing the market, especially after the "big reveal" about the universe which was pretty much universally hated, they then tried to make half a game on half a budget and released integrity and the faithless. Quite frankly it just wasent any good and felt cheap, because we'll it was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom