• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R – Anime Opening Movie

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R is coming to Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4 on November 2, 2023, and PC via STEAM® on November 3, 2023.

Artist: SUIREN Song: stella
SUIREN is a Japanese music duo consisting of vocalist Sui and keyboardist/arranger Ren.
SUIREN has been active since 2020, mainly on YouTube.
Their music combines the fleeting melody created by Sui’s unique voice and Ren's beautiful and sophisticated sounds, producing something otherworldly together.
During their time as indie artists, they have released 2 EPs and 4 singles. With every release, their songs became a part of many official Spotify and Apple Music playlists, increasing their fame as artists. with Internet roots.
Their music was also chosen as the opening theme song for the fourth season of the popular anime series, “Kingdom.”
image.png

image.png

Dropping here some tags: graywolf323 graywolf323 A a multicultural team of v NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt Celcius Celcius Danjin44 Danjin44 PanzerCute PanzerCute Shifty1897 Shifty1897 . Might have missed a few names, so sorry not sorry yet again. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

This one looks really good though.

I understand the thought process and trying to stay true somewhat to the original game, but there is no reason in 2023 that the foreground needs to be wildly different than the character models in art direction and technology.

You look at Resident Evil 2 which was famous for pre-rendered graphics and then you look at RE2 Remake... and how successful that was, largely because they weren't lazy about it.

Like how does this game look worse than Ni no Kuni and Wind Waker?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Thank god they ditched the awful character art for the PSP version that made Rena look like a 10 year old. Loving everything I’ve seen about this remake

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Disagree.
I actually like the mixed graphical art style.
Agreed, I love the direction they went with this. The PS1 sprites are a huge part of the charm and I’m so glad they kept them, + the 3D backgrounds look awesome while still remaining true to the originals.

If they made 3D character models they’d just look like generic ass Tales of/Trails/SO6 characters. No thanks.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Agreed, I love the direction they went with this. The PS1 sprites are a huge part of the charm and I’m so glad they kept them, + the 3D backgrounds look awesome while still remaining true to the originals.

If they made 3D character models they’d just look like generic ass Tales of/Trails/SO6 characters. No thanks.
The PS1 sprites look like cardboard cutouts when mixed with the highly detailed and lit environments. They worked better with the prerendered visuals of the original.

The HD2D style in octopath works better IMO because the environments were much smaller and the sprites were redrawn to be bigger while still being faithful to the original looks

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The PS1 sprites look like cardboard cutouts when mixed with the highly detailed and lit environments. They worked better with the prerendered visuals of the original.

The HD2D style in octopath works better IMO because the environments were much smaller and the sprites were redrawn to be bigger while still being faithful to the original looks
I like Octopath’s style but IMO that’s more like a modernized 16-bit (tile based, orthogonal, pixelated) style. I think SO2 Remake’s style is a better way to update 32-bit PSX era pre-rendered backgrounds personally.

Serge85

This looks great, can't wait!, SO2 is one of my favorite games ever, in fact I'll be starting a new playtrough of the original in a few days!

JimboJones

I understand the thought process and trying to stay true somewhat to the original game, but there is no reason in 2023 that the foreground needs to be wildly different than the character models in art direction and technology.

You look at Resident Evil 2 which was famous for pre-rendered graphics and then you look at RE2 Remake... and how successful that was, largely because they weren't lazy about it.

I guess just a difference of opinion, I actually really like that look and find really aesthetically pleasing, stays true to the original but in an updated way.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This is so out of pocket for the original game which was NOT anime. The original art, voice acting , dialogue, plot etc.

Seeing Claude and Rena skate across battlefields at Mach 5 is so fucking stupid.

SenkiDala

I can't wait for this game

HUGE Star Ocean fan. I hope the rest of the Star Ocean Games hit Switch and Steam. 3 is still my favorite in the franchise but 6 is a close second
You talk about the last one ? The Divine Force ? I played the demo and LOVED it, I'm also a fan of the 2nd episode (which I played on day one), I even still have the Star Ocean animated series on my HDD. I heard The Divine Force is a shitty game so I decided to postpone its purchase but you're saying you liked it ?

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You talk about the last one ? The Divine Force ? I played the demo and LOVED it, I'm also a fan of the 2nd episode (which I played on day one), I even still have the Star Ocean animated series on my HDD. I heard The Divine Force is a shitty game so I decided to postpone its purchase but you're saying you liked it ?
I really enjoyed it! The combat is FAST, traversal and exploration are really fun, the exploration is a blast. Story was decent + the characters were surprisingly good and easy on the anime tropes. Raymond looks like a massive douche but he ended up being maybe my favorite protagonist in the series. Definitely worth playing if you liked the demo.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I woudnt mind seeing MAPPA makes opening for JRPG, these guys can make some sick OP and ED.

Last edited:

The Divine Force is fantastic. I hated 5 but The Divine Force is best 3D Star Ocean since 3/4

SenkiDala

I really enjoyed it! The combat is FAST, traversal and exploration are really fun, the exploration is a blast. Story was decent + the characters were surprisingly good and easy on the anime tropes. Raymond looks like a massive douche but he ended up being maybe my favorite protagonist in the series. Definitely worth playing if you liked the demo.
The Divine Force is fantastic. I hated 5 but The Divine Force is best 3D Star Ocean since 3/4
Good to know thanks to both of us. :) I was still planning to buy it of course but now even more.

Star Ocean is nowhere near as big an IP as Resident Evil. Use your brain

Needlecrash

The game is present at Pax West currently. Issue is, Square Enix isn't allowing any footage to be recorded because the game is still undergoing tweaks. UGH. I JUST WANT FOOTAGE!

Dat bass line tho. 🤘

Excited for this....unfortunately my first and only experience with Star Ocean so far was the incredibly bland SO4, but from what I can tell, SO2 is the one that is the most widely beloved.

sigmaZ

Dat bass line tho. 🤘
Right? First thing I thought. I really liked this song.

As far as the opening, it seems like they cut the budget on the actually animation lol but the song is so good it doesn't really matter.
I'm not really a fan of the Star Ocean series and the original SO2 was mediocre in every way when compared to the top games of it's generation.
It was highly experimental, but a lot of the ideas it went to weren't fully realized and the slowness of everything made it a real slog for me when I first played it.
That said, as awkward as the 2DHD they are using is, I can't help but to feel compelled by it and I'm actually willing to give it a shot despite my feelings for the original.

Star Ocean is nowhere near as big an IP as Resident Evil. Use your brain

Yeah, and no one is asking for RE Remake budget here, learn how to read.

The comparison to RE is to say that you can stay true to the core theme of the original and replicate the elements where the mind fills in the gaps for PS1 games.

There's no reason that Star Ocean should look worse than Wind Waker that came out in 2002. Hell, that was only 4 years off the original release of Star Ocean 2.

Ironically when the original Star Ocean first hit the scene, it was one of the best-looking games on the market.

Of course, no surprise that they want 50 bones for this.

The comparison to RE is to say that you can stay true to the core theme of the original and replicate the elements where the mind fills in the gaps for PS1 games.

There's no reason that Star Ocean should look worse than Wind Waker that came out in 2002. Hell, that was only 4 years off the original release of Star Ocean 2.

Ironically when the original Star Ocean first hit the scene, it was one of the best-looking games on the market.

The point is that this is a MUCH LOWER BUDGET PROJECT and a lot of people find this art style beautiful. Use your brain

JimboJones

Honestly, every 3D Star Ocean game has looked pretty poor in comparison to the pre-rendered backgrounds and sprite look. They never captured the charm and ended up in uncanny valley territory, where most of their characters looked like real dolls, lol.

Last edited:
Honestly every 3D star ocean has looked pretty poor in comparison to the pre rendered background and sprite look.
They just never captured the charm and ended up in uncanny valley territory, where most of there characters looked like realdolls lol

Agreed, but that's due to low budgets and low efforts. They never really believed in the property much especially after the merger.

Could have and should have been a huge franchise and a pillar for Square Enix, but their obsession with Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Kingdom Hearts took over.

Meanwhile, Seiken Densetsu and Star Ocean fell by the way side. Not to mention a slew of other IP that could have really presented itself, Final Fantasy Tactics, Parasite Eve, Soul Blazer, Vagrant Story, and literally Xenogears...

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Honestly every 3D star ocean has looked pretty poor in comparison to the pre rendered background and sprite look.
They just never captured the charm and ended up in uncanny valley territory, where most of there characters looked like realdolls lol
Star Ocean 3-6 characters are nightmare fuel. Weirdly proportioned “anime in 3D” models + realistic lighting + exaggerated motion captured animations + bobbly heads + vacant, soulless facial expressions.

It’s so awful, I can’t believe anybody would complain about awesome SO2 sprites after seeing the abominations 3D Star Ocean has foisted upon the gaming world.

A lot of people? No, this won't sell well. Use your brain, and learn how to read.
The Team Asano games sell millions. That’s a sign that this sort of art style is appealing to a lot of people.

It’s a pretty low budget project so they did what they could.

It’s also being outsourced.

Use your brain.

The Team Asano games sell millions. That’s a sign that this sort of art style is appealing to a lot of people.

It’s a pretty low budget project so they did what they could.

It’s also being outsourced.

Use your brain.

Yeah because Octopath traveller sold well this will sell well... sound logic... definitely using your brain...

Why are like focusing so much on his ray gun in the opening? In original game it was only used once and then used as parts for Leon iirc. It was ojly in the 2000s anime that gun have much more focus

Gambit2483

Never played a Star Ocean game before but hyped as hell to play this one (supposedly this is the best one in the series). Can't frickin wait..!

lyan

Without changing the gameplay this game probably need like 10+ times more character animations than Wind Waker and RE2 Remake combined.

Top Bottom