• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: The Second Story R |OT| Todos los Dias

What average score do you think Star Ocean: The Second Story R will get on Metacritic?

• 96 - 100

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • 91 - 95

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 86 - 90

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 81 - 85

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • 76 - 80

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 71 - 76

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • 66 - 70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65 or below

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gunstarhero

PC runs at 4K/120fps or higher. Switch runs at 720p/30 fps. PS5 runs at 4K/60fps. Switch has longer load times FYI.
Im assuming the PC and PS5 versions don’t have all the draw-in and pop up found on the Switch (during the world map scenes).

Was really bummed to see that on Switch - i can live with the resolution downgrade to play it portable, but that draw in was pretty bad in spots.

Needlecrash

Im assuming the PC and PS5 versions don’t have all the draw-in and pop up found on the Switch (during the world map scenes).

Was really bummed to see that on Switch - i can live with the resolution downgrade to play it portable, but that draw in was pretty bad in spots.
I've played PS5/PC/Steam versions on the demo.

The PC is by far the best version based on your build. I was pushing 4K/120FPS EASILY with me currently running a RTX 3080 and a 5800x. The PS5 version felt identical to the PC version but was just limited to 60 FPS. I didn't notice any pop in with the PC/PS5 versions at all. No bias, just noticing. The Switch version definitely had pop in with lower textures and longer load times with 30FPS.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

When I first learned about this I scoffed at it, but then something about it started to entice me. Then, after playing the demo, I knew that this wasn't just a simple remake. The team put a lot of effort to fully realize the potential of the original (which was mid af to be honest and PS limitations didn't help). I'm really impressed with how they have handled lighting and environments. It really gives each locale a strong sense of presence. Also it's really cool what they did with the sprites on the world map. Even though the characters are to 2D sprites, you can rotate the camera around them. It's really cool how well it's done.
Beyond the graphics it seems that they have taken all the skills from the original and made them much more readily accessible and there is a nice sense of immediacy to the gameplay that was lacking in the past.
My only minor gripe so far is that I feel like they need to have a run button to dash at a slightly faster speed. I don't like this thing some devs do where it's autorun but you have no control to go faster. It takes away play agency and slows down the pacing even in some games.
Still, this will likely be one of my top RPGs of the year. Potato.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

The PC is by far the best version based on your build. I was pushing 4K/120FPS EASILY. The PS5 version felt identical to the PC version but was just limited to 60 FPS. I didn't notice any pop in with the PC/PS5 versions at all. No bias, just noticing. The Switch version definitely had pop in with lower textures and longer load times with 30FPS.
I wish PS5 ran at 120 FPS, seems like it should be able to handle it no problem. I went with the Steam version because of this.

neoism

The worst part? The Japanese version has more stuff in it and it's CHEAPER than the Western versions. The game is between $42-$50 depending on where you order it from. The soundtrack alone is $31. The 40 page artbook is worth....well I have no idea. Also, a 40 page artbook is pretty pathetic honestly.

The PC is by far the best version based on your build. I was pushing 4K/120FPS EASILY with me currently running a RTX 3080 and a 5800x. The PS5 version felt identical to the PC version but was just limited to 60 FPS. I didn't notice any pop in with the PC/PS5 versions at all. No bias, just noticing. The Switch version definitely had pop in with lower textures and longer load times with 30FPS.
i really want this physical but ill just get steam version .. its 41 right now on gmg :eek:

Me waiting for Thursday
kill me now stephen colbert GIF

the sandlot killing me smalls GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Good signs for the game as these guys know their JRPGs very well. (worth a sub btw!)

Looks so good! Honestly my only complaint is that I wish you could control the volume of the event voices + battle voices independently.

Definitely turning them off because the event voices were easily the worst part of the PSP version. Like many JRPGs, the voice acting flows nothing like a real conversation and it feels like someone is just reading the text off the screen to you, plus it serves to highlight how bland most of the conversations are.

Just wish I could leave the battle voices on as those really gave the game some character.

bodine1231

Is there a trick to do the jumping attacks? I've done it a few times by accident. Seems like I chained my special with one of my party members.

Also, the magic users just churn through their magic and then just stand there and dont attack, whats the deal?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m broke so I may have to back burner this now.

Curious on impressions and how much they changed in full release. The demo having a parry system was really cool IMO.

StueyDuck

As a jrpg how is this franchise to get into?

Is it super anime waifu 100 year old witches who dress like school girls type games or quality like old dragon quest, phantasy star, chrono trigger, final fantasy etc.

Guess what I'm trying to say is, is it super fan servicey or genuinely great story?

I see first departure is on PS plus.

I've also heard lore wise there's a game i the franchise that just makes the entire franchise pointless 🤣 but we'll see if I get that far.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Is it super anime waifu 100 year old witches who dress like school girls type games or quality like old dragon quest, phantasy star, chrono trigger, final fantasy etc.

I've also heard lore wise there's a game i the franchise that just makes the entire franchise pointless 🤣 but we'll see if I get that far.
1, 2, and 6 are the ones worth playing IMO. Probably compare it to Phantasy Star or Dragon Quest on the weeb scale.

They are all independent stories that are only loosely linked, and you can play in any order. SO3 is the one that people say ruined the franchise. IMO that game sucks anyway and you can pretend it doesn’t exist. 4 went super weeb, 5 was a disaster, 6 was surprisingly really good and free of the anime bullshit.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

1, 2, and 6 are the ones worth playing IMO. Probably compare me to Phantasy Star or Dragob Quest on the weeb scale.

They are all independent stories that are only loosely linked, and you can play in any order. SO3 is the one that people say ruined the franchise. IMO that game sucks anyway and you can pretend it doesn’t exist. 4 went super weeb, 5 was a disaster, 6 was surprisingly really good and free of the anime bullshit.
Ok that's decent I can handle that.

I'll give it a download this weekend and try get into the franchise

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Game Arts is still around and Gung Ho can publish the game too. There's still a chance!
Looks like you can either call or send a snail mail to their address.

I recommend everyone writing a letter asking for a Lunar collection. Within a month they might receive it. Lol

Guess what I'm trying to say is, is it super fan servicey or genuinely great story?

This is perfect to start. For me, the first two games are the best in the series. It’s a good game to jump into. It’s a mix of an old fantasy world and a space adventure.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

It's not super anime except for maybe 4. Depending on who you ask, the best game in the franchise is either 2 or 3, so I would play to those and see how you feel.

I would recommend playing this one first to see if you love the series, then play First Departure R. The connections to the first game are barely there.

StueyDuck

It's not super anime except for maybe 4. Depending on who you ask, the best game in the franchise is either 2 or 3, so I would play to those and see how you feel.

I would recommend playing this one first to see if you love the series, then play First Departure R. The connections to the first game are barely there.
Ah ok I see. Well the second one is reviewing well so I'll give it a try when I have free time. Still got spiderman 2 to get through and haven't even got Alan Wake 2 yet 🤣

But I've been in a good JRPG mood since FFXVI and sea of stars ended up scratching that itch for a good 40 hrs or so (for platinum trophy)

neoism

Don't have it yet, and I went with the PS5 physical version. I'm actually not sure I'll receive it on release day lol...

Got the game cheap though for just €35 (Switch version was €45). Anyways, I can wait an extra day or two :p.
lol im 39 i could die any minute.. how yall do this lol steam doesn't unlock until 10am est.. T_T :p
im excited... i really hope it sales really great and square just lets them redo trigger just like this....

Top Bottom