• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Outlaws tells a tight story across specific locations with "strong, thriving underworlds" - to feature reputation system

Draugoth

Gold Member
JUex4Pgcy6UUJRJJQs5cL7-1200-80.jpg.webp

Ubisoft Massive creative director Julian Gerighty says reputation is one way that Star Wars Outlaws allows players to find nuance in an otherwise focussed, tightly-written story. "As a scoundrel you live and die by your reputation, meaning that Kay will have to navigate the underworld and its various crime syndicates, making choices that will impact her reputation, her experience, and her support throughout the game." In short, it sounds like getting into a certain faction's good books might earn you another's ire, proving that no good deed or petty crime in a galaxy far, far away will go unpunished in this upcoming Star Wars game.

It's good to see that Ubisoft Massive wants to make notoriety and reputation a substantial part of the game's storytelling. If done right, Star Wars Outlaws could be set to join the greats when it comes to crafting a well-written story that still feels dynamic and changeable even if the narrative itself is headed one way.

In the case of Star Wars Outlaws, the reputation system described by Gerighty adds conditional values to which missions and areas you have access to at a given time. "A good reputation could lead to some of the most lucrative opportunities," Gerighty says, "and a bad reputation could result in [Kay Vess] facing a syndicate's wrath as they hunt her down."

via Gamesradar

StueyDuck

JUex4Pgcy6UUJRJJQs5cL7-1200-80.jpg.webp

Ubisoft Massive creative director Julian Gerighty says reputation is one way that Star Wars Outlaws allows players to find nuance in an otherwise focussed, tightly-written story. "As a scoundrel you live and die by your reputation, meaning that Kay will have to navigate the underworld and its various crime syndicates, making choices that will impact her reputation, her experience, and her support throughout the game." In short, it sounds like getting into a certain faction's good books might earn you another's ire, proving that no good deed or petty crime in a galaxy far, far away will go unpunished in this upcoming Star Wars game.

It's good to see that Ubisoft Massive wants to make notoriety and reputation a substantial part of the game's storytelling. If done right, Star Wars Outlaws could be set to join the greats when it comes to crafting a well-written story that still feels dynamic and changeable even if the narrative itself is headed one way.

In the case of Star Wars Outlaws, the reputation system described by Gerighty adds conditional values to which missions and areas you have access to at a given time. "A good reputation could lead to some of the most lucrative opportunities," Gerighty says, "and a bad reputation could result in [Kay Vess] facing a syndicate's wrath as they hunt her down."

via Gamesradar
Please just be a good story and not a "2024" story

Bluecondor

"In the case of Star Wars Outlaws, the reputation system described by Gerighty adds conditional values to which missions and areas you have access to at a given time. "A good reputation could lead to some of the most lucrative opportunities," Gerighty says, "and a bad reputation could result in [Kay Vess] facing a syndicate's wrath as they hunt her down."

This is always such a hollow promise in games, making it sound as if there are permanent consequences from choosing to do a mission for one NPC syndicate versus the other syndicate(s).

Meanwhile, the "conditional values" often just mean that if your reputation lowers -5 for one syndicate for choosing to do another syndicate's mission, you just have to grind out 5 mindless activities to restore the +5 you lost.

My problem with this is that it destroys the authenticity of a bad reputation. If you choose one syndicate over the other, it really should label you as the syndicate's enemy permanently.

The best example of this for me was way back in GTA III. Once you got on the wrong side of the mafia in Liberty City after betraying them in an early story mission, mafia members would shoot at your gas tank every time you drove through Little Italy. Every time you went into Little Italy, you were a target, and there was nothing you could do to stop it from happening (short of stealing/driving one of the mafia's bullet proof cars, which only helped because they wouldn't explode). It sucked to have your car blown up (especially if you were in a car chase or another mission), but it definitely felt like the mafia had a permanent vendetta because of your betrayal.

Last edited:
The trailer looked really good. Excited to see sone more of this one.

I’m one of those people who actually enjoys Ubisoft games so I’ve got high hopes.

Alebrije

Release this game soon so Massive can focus on División 3. only follow this becuase Massive is the last developer doing good stuff of UBI. they delayed Division 3 for this Game

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It's Lucasfilm.
KK will have her say.
GiXZ2o8.jpg

considering this is one of the first things you see when you go to Massives page.

I don't think it will take much leg pulling from KK to get them to "modernize" the writing.

i wouldn't be shocked if they are on the sweetbaby list either

intbal

i wouldn't be shocked if they are on the sweetbaby list either
Ubisoft is listed as one of their clients, but this game isn't listed as one of their current projects.
But, like you pointed out, Massive probably doesn't need much convincing.

Duchess

I hope this game turns out to be what Rogue One and Andor turned out to be for Star Wars films and TV series. ❤️
To this day, I still find it staggering that Disney were able to follow Rogue One with The Last Jedi.

One of the best Star Wars film ever made, then a year later, one of the worst (I've not seen Rise of Skywalker, but I've heard it's actually shitter).

DaGwaphics

Looks like an interesting story. I had fun with FarCry 5, I think a lot of the issues people have with Ubi are only problems for players that play a lot of their games. The more interaction you have with a formula the easier it is to nitpick.

Fbh

Can't remember the last time I played a Ubisoft game with a half decent story.

I guess Valiant Hearts, but that's more of an outlier.

Hopefully this one is better but it has a lot to prove. Ubisoft has some of the worst writers in the AAA space.

Cyberpunkd

The best example of this for me was way back in GTA III. Once you got on the wrong side of the mafia in Liberty City after betraying them in an early story mission, mafia members would shoot at your gas tank every time you drove through Little Italy. Every time you went into Little Italy, you were a target, and there was nothing you could do to stop it from happening (short of stealing/driving one of the mafia's bullet proof cars, which only helped because they wouldn't explode). It sucked to have your car blown up (especially if you were in a car chase or another mission), but it definitely felt like the mafia had a permanent vendetta because of your betrayal.
Same thing they did with Witcher 2 - at the end of Act I you make a choice that determines how Act II will play out. It is a drastically different experience with no possibility to go back on it - in order to experience the second path you would have to either replay the game, or load a save before making the decision.

Kurotri

I do like what I'm seeing despite the deserved backlash. However, and this should go for most but especially Ubisoft, I wouldn't put much stock into what they are saying with "strong thriving underworlds". Ubisoft always makes it seem like they have deep systems in their games, but it's always a far cry from what other games do. I also do not expect their allegiance system to be all that impactful either.

Ristifer

I do like what I'm seeing despite the deserved backlash. However, and this should go for most but especially Ubisoft, I wouldn't put much stock into what they are saying with "strong thriving underworlds". Ubisoft always makes it seem like they have deep systems in their games, but it's always a far cry from what other games do. I also do not expect their allegiance system to be all that impactful either.
I see what you did there.

Braag

Despite not being a huge fan of the main character's design, essentially a female Han Solo with 80's mom hair, it isn't really a deal breaker for me.
But Star Wars has gone super mega pandering mode lately, to the point even my girlfriend got super annoyed and fed up with it while watching Ahsoka, and the new Acolyte trailer looks like it's turning it to 11. So unless Ubisoft has managed to talk Disney down from using this SW production as a tool for activism and instead make an actual entertainment product, then I can't see myself getting into it.

Shubh_C63

When was the last time an unexpected AAA game had a story that surprised you ?

Its Ubisoft more than it is MASSIVE. It will be mediocre story with slight dialogue changes (be surprised!)

knguyen

Ubi is doing what Bethesda did. Spraying bullshit all over place to make the game sound amazing, in order to get as many pre-order as possible. Prepare for more carefully edit "dev interview" videos.

Reactions: Gp1
Top Bottom