• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT2| In a F2Play galaxy far, far away

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Man, I want that Sith Recluse set but to buy it it would cost like 30m.

It don't look THAT cool.

Some dude on my server has the Sith recluse chestpiece with the revan reborn pants/helm with black and white dye, and a white saber to boot. Looks really fkn good. Gotta look good bro.

I too have spent 8 million credits for the Malgus armor. Well worth the dent in my wallet.

I know right, looks even better with a secondary black dye or black/black dye too. I don't like the vanilla armor--too light/bright. I was checking throne/hoverchair mounts this morning and holy shit, those things went from 4-5 mil at the cheapest to 10-20 mil. Da fack. Seems like armor/mounts in general went up a lot since the introduction of these expensive ass bronze/gold/silver packs.

jesus christ the sith inquisitor story is pure trash so far

prologue: really awesome and fun, loved shitting on that sith dude and the overseer

chapter 1: get some shit and suffer through the most obvious betrayal in the whole game, some minor "build a power base" thing on one planet, whatever could be worse

chapter 2: jesus fucking christ, start off by some random sith that used to be the boss of your boss wanting to kill you for whatever reason, so far I still don't understand why exactly he wants me dead, ghost grampa shows up and tells me I'm a moron, okay I go and play ghostbuster for a while, loose agaist the sith guy, apparently I was thrown in a ditch but they fished me up on the floor of the sith guys place, whatever animations aren't cheap

go doing some more ghostbuster stuff because I have to get more power, recruit a fun archaeology nerd (I like this guy) and what is probably the stupidest jedi in the whole galaxy (she literally went "ooooh shiny" when I showed a holocron in her face), okay get a bunch of ghost, face the dude again aaaand loose again, now the ghost are trying to kill me (and the sith guy bailed from his own place at some point and left me for dead again after telling me he won't just leave me for dead this time, I guess he forgot to turn off the iron, okay to be fair one can kinda explain it with him thinking that he won't be able to kill me with the ghost power even if I'm too weak/stupid to handle it) and apparently chapter 3 is all about trying to undo what I did all of chapter 2, who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

They're almost all like that, unfortunately. A lot of story-related sacrifices had to be made to make the MMO formula of: get a ship, a handful of companions, travel to x/y/z, etc. It leads to pretty much everything being... fun in the moment, but utter nonsense when viewed from afar. The Imperial Agent class story is the only one that genuinely feels like it 'belongs' in TOR.

And yeah, the IA storyline is far and away the best one, too. Just really clever writing all around. If you're disillusioned with TOR, that is the class to play.

Some dude on my server has the Sith recluse chestpiece with the revan reborn pants/helm with black and white dye, and a white saber to boot. Looks really fkn good. Gotta look good bro.

I was previewing it on my Juggy with my current gear and a white/yellow dye and thought it looked pretty damned cool.

swtor2015-12-2410-46-56sk1.png

I'd buy just the chest piece, but I can't justify spending so much without getting the legacy unlock.

The exploit caused massive inflation in the upper end of the market. People bought up all the ranchors, all the Satele Shan boots and tops, white crystals, crate-o-matics etc... and then attempted to launder them through various means. Bioware can take away creds, rep items and the like but they can't take away or destroy valuable items without irreversibly destroying the economy further or punishing non-exploiters. Unless Bioware introduces a massive credit sink it will take a long time for the economy to return to pre-4.0 levels.

Enosh

They're almost all like that, unfortunately. A lot of story-related sacrifices had to be made to make the MMO formula of: get a ship, a handful of companions, travel to x/y/z, etc. It leads to pretty much everything being... fun in the moment, but utter nonsense when viewed from afar. The Imperial Agent class story is the only one that genuinely feels like it 'belongs' in TOR.

And yeah, the IA storyline is far and away the best one, too. Just really clever writing all around. If you're disillusioned with TOR, that is the class to play.
I only have SI and smuggler left :p I played on and off since release, doing SW at the start, the JK and trooper a while after it went f2p and returned now that I read you only have to do class and planetary story (only class one now with double xp, so decided to finish all of them while it's on ^^)

honestly was kinda disappointed with IA given how everyone loves it
really disliked the star cabal bulshit
but it is the story with the most choice that I have seen all the others are a lot more linear, but even then i ahve found them pretty much all to be much more interesting than the SI one, yes they all follow a similar path but there are differences in how that path is presented and what you do on it and the SI one is by far the most boring one, well maybe smuggler will be worse

Still find Trooper to be the worst of the stories. It had some interesting bits, but it's like 3 stories that have no connection at all and really feel all like side content

Enosh

Still find Trooper to be the worst of the stories. It had some interesting bits, but it's like 3 stories that have no connection at all and really feel all like side content
I had no issues with the trooper chapters being mostly unrelated, you are just a soldier doing soldiery stuff for the republic

plus as shown in the IA story the trooper and his/her's reinforcement were vital for the battle of correlia, being one of the two main waves of reinforcements

I only have SI and smuggler left :p I played on and off since release, doing SW at the start, the JK and trooper a while after it went f2p and returned now that I read you only have to do class and planetary story (only class one now with double xp, so decided to finish all of them while it's on ^^)

honestly was kinda disappointed with IA given how everyone loves it
really disliked the star cabal bulshit
but it is the story with the most choice that I have seen all the others are a lot more linear, but even then i ahve found them pretty much all to be much more interesting than the SI one, yes they all follow a similar path but there are differences in how that path is presented and what you do on it and the SI one is by far the most boring one, well maybe smuggler will be worse

Smuggler class story is occasionally funny, but like the Bounty Hunter, I dislike how some companions join up. I don't actually remember much about it beyond that... You get a wookiee and a Millenium Falcon though, so I guess it delivers. The best ship to pilot, by far.

IIRC, the Trooper and Imperial Agent were the two "ground-level" stories in TOR, conceived not to be wild heroes' journeys, but more grounded and realistic affairs. As in, the player is just a solider with a mission, and not some person with a grand destiny. IA definitely delivers on that; Trooper has been an adventure in how quickly you can receive companions (still in Ch1).

Oddly, I really enjoy the Jedi Consular storyline. And I don't think it's stockholm syndrome from essentially having done it twice (on different servers). The Light Side path is really feelgood in a way that I appreciate, and the female VO does a superb job at delivering it. The story's ho-hum and predictable, but the themes its playing at are interesting, even if there's no real consequences to the playstyles. Wost part of the Consular class is its companions; aside from Qyzen and maybe one other, they range from unbearable to bland.

Enosh

Oddly, I really enjoy the Jedi Consular storyline. And I don't think it's stockholm syndrome from essentially having done it twice (on different servers). The Light Side path is really feelgood in a way that I appreciate, and the female VO does a superb job at delivering it. The story's ho-hum and predictable, but the themes its playing at are interesting, even if there's no real consequences to the playstyles. Wost part of the Consular class is its companions; aside from Qyzen and maybe one other, they range from unbearable to bland.
oh yeah I was really surprised by the consular story, I've been reading nothing but how shit it is since release so was amazed by how much I liked it

rolling into corelia with an army consisting of rift alliance troops, droids, voss and fucking esh-kha felt great

finished SI still think it's the worst so far, so many missed moments
like why the fuck do I get called out of the blue by some moff that he wants to help me? that's stupid it should be me trying to find moffs to get them to my side to build my powerbase, the ghost bullshit should have honestly ended in chapter 2 and chapter 3 should have been about finding and securing people to fight for you

anyway only smuggler left and then I have done all of them and have 7/8 subclasses (got a sentinel and marauder, so missing guardian or jug ^^)

edit: forgot this part:
IIRC, the Trooper and Imperial Agent were the two "ground-level" stories in TOR, conceived not to be wild heroes' journeys, but more grounded and realistic affairs. As in, the player is just a solider with a mission, and not some person with a grand destiny. IA definitely delivers on that; Trooper has been an adventure in how quickly you can receive companions (still in Ch1).
yeah well that might have been true in c1 and 2 of IA but when a thousand year old organization that has always controlled both the empire and republic from the shadows shows up any kind of groundness flies right out of the window for me :p

SI really should have gone all-in on the Palpatine-style manipulation/corruption/politics route, instead of the weird mystical thing it ended up with. Then again, it was called Sith Sorcerer originally, before it and the Jedi Wizard (Consular) were renamed... and now that I think of it, the caster routes for both make a whole lot more sense considering what they're doing in their stories.

Y'know, I don't remember a single specific event in the SI class story. It's all a jumble.
edit: forgot this part:

yeah well that might have been true in c1 and 2 of IA but when a thousand year old organization that has always controlled both the empire and republic from the shadows shows up any kind of groundness flies right out of the window for me :p
Grounded for Star Wars, I guess. At least, the progression to get there makes a lot more sense than the other class stories' final chapters.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
My story rankings: SW > IA > JK > BH > SI >>>>>>>>> Trooper.

Haven't finished consular/gunslinger yet. I think the imperial agent storyline is the "best" one, but this is Star Wars man, so the SW has the most epic feel and leads into the new xpac much more cleanly. I feel like the new xpac is just an extension of the SW/JK storylines lol.

diaspora

Tell me if I've got this right. After KOTOR 2:

Revan was out in the outer rim with the Exile

They found the emperor

they lost the fight, exile got backstabbed

Revan returned hundreds of years later as a dark-side zombie while his light side persona was a force ghost. what

They found the emperor

Revan returned hundreds of years later as a dark-side zombie while his light side persona was a force ghost. what
The Maelstrom and The Foundry flashpoints are vital to Revan's story if you haven't played through them. The Foundry kind of explains how this happens in my opinion.

diaspora

So as I'm doing the Consular path, this game seems to run at like 5-10fps inside the Jedi temple almost consistently, and 15-60ish in the open world which feels a little backwards. Am I alone in this?

edit: fwiw, I've got this installed on my i5 4670K/ AMD 7970 GHz/ 16GB RAM machine.

Repo Man

So as I'm doing the Consular path, this game seems to run at like 5-10fps inside the Jedi temple almost consistently, and 15-60ish in the open world which feels a little backwards. Am I alone in this?

edit: fwiw, I've got this installed on my i5 4670K/ AMD 7970 GHz/ 16GB RAM machine.

What settings you running the game at ? Make sure you dial down the shadow map resolution as that at high settings can kill performance.

diaspora

What settings you running the game at ? Make sure you dial down the shadow map resolution as that at high settings can kill performance.

I set shadow map res to 2048 and borderless fullscreen and now I've got a 60FPS lock. I cannot comprehend why this would kill performance indoors and be fine outdoors but this engine is supposed to be a weird beast.

I set shadow map res to 2048 and borderless fullscreen and now I've got a 60FPS lock. I cannot comprehend why this would kill performance indoors and be fine outdoors but this engine is supposed to be a weird beast.

The engine is very CPU dependent, not GPU and demands fast seek and read HD times.

kurahador

Dammit...made a mistake of buying Origin Outlander Pack. Seems like you can't activate it if your SWTOR account is already associated with another Origin account. Now I'm stuck with a code I can't use.

If you guys want it, pm me. I'll sell it for cheap. Make sure you never bought anything SWTOR off Origin first though, even better if you don't have Origin account in the first place.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That's pretty crappy. I know even though I never use origin I linked my SWTOR account to an my origin account at some point a while ago, and I'm sure a lot of folks did the same.

They found the emperor

Well mostly.

Revan and Malak had originally found the emperor, and were turned to the dark side and sent to create wars in the galaxy (KOTOR1). The Mandolarian War and following chaos was essentially influenced by the Emperor to destabilize the galaxy. Around KOTOR 2 Revan was searching for the Emperor and the hidden Sith empire, but Revan is captured by the Sith. Exile goes and rescues Revan, they team up to confront the Emperor but they are betrayed.

Revan was prisoner of the Emperor who attempted to take him over and turn him back again, but instead Revan was manipulating the Emperor the entire time as they had a battle of minds. Revan saved the galaxy by creating doubt in the Emperor who didn't invade the Republic, instead the Emperor was forced to wait and build up, giving the Republic time to rebuild itself. All the time Revan spent in the mental force battle with the Emperor while kept in stasis, had corrupted Revan

Ithil

The male Sith Warrior's voice totally makes his entire storyline, it's great to listen to. The male Inquisitor's voice is great if you're dark side, it's so very slimy, but the male Warrior's voice is incredibly charismatic and smooth. It could easily have been just a "dumb brute" sort of voice particularly with how much killing you would do as dark side Warrior, but he always comes across as intelligent. I'm not finished yet but it's been the most enjoyable so far.

The male Bounty Hunter also makes that whole character, the female was a bit lacking in that regard, doesn't have the same roughness to set it apart from the other Imperials.

Unfortunately a lot of the Republic voices just blend together for me, too similar outside of one or two.

The male Sith Warrior's voice totally makes his entire storyline, it's great to listen to. The male Inquisitor's voice is great if you're dark side, it's so very slimy, but the male Warrior's voice is incredibly charismatic and smooth. It could easily have been just a "dumb brute" sort of voice particularly with how much killing you would do as dark side Warrior, but he always comes across as intelligent. I'm not finished yet but it's been the most enjoyable so far.

The male Bounty Hunter also makes that whole character, the female was a bit lacking in that regard, doesn't have the same roughness to set it apart from the other Imperials.

Unfortunately a lot of the Republic voices just blend together for me, too similar outside of one or two.

Sith Warrior's male voice works great on multiple levels. He sounds classy, which makes a lot of the lines play differently than they might otherwise. Especially enhances the snark and arrogance.

Sith Warrior's male voice works great on multiple levels. He sounds classy, which makes a lot of the lines play differently than they might otherwise. Especially enhances the snark and arrogance.

Yeah, male SW is great for that. He's perfect for a real Darth Vader-styled sith, which is exactly what I wanted from him. He even delivers the generic lines well... "There won't be a heart left beating."

For other VOs, I like the female Consular's calm delivery of Lightside lines; there's a serenity to the way she does it that I haven't noticed in any of the other Jedi VOs. Feels very Jedi, to me. But my favourite is the female Smuggler's odd way of delivering lines in general--I really adore her; she has a real charisma that no other character VO has and I can scarcely explain why.

The rest I don't really remember. Male IA really suit his role, what with his general aura of sinister spy-ness and general weariness, but it doesn't jump out at me as "superb" so much as it does "that's how it should be." The rest I've played--male SI, female BH, female JK, male Trooper, are all given so many bad lines that I can't really blame the VO itself for doing little with their respective roles. The Bounty Hunter's (dialog easter egg)
dialog during Hutta, the "One. Two. Three" Calo Nord callback,
is probably my highpoint from them.

For companions, though? Best VO performance I've seen is Kaliyo--she's great at delivering the ambiguity and sarcastic kick that the character needs to succeed. Second best would be Malavai Quinn, who always sounds perfectly uptight 100% of the time; it's glorious, and I'm always waiting for him to say "Sir" in his special way.

Parham

Banned
Dusting off my old launch account to give the game another go. How does Harbinger compare to The Bastion (my current server) in terms of population? I suppose the more appropriate question to ask is how much of a jump "Normal" server population is to "Heavy". I would prefer to play on a PvP server, but I'm willing to give that up if it means the places I go to have some semblance of life and not look like ghost towns.

Edit: Have strongholds effectively killed hubs like the Imperial Fleet?

Bloodember

Dusting off my old launch account to give the game another go. How does Harbinger compare to The Bastion (my current server) in terms of population? I suppose the more appropriate question to ask is how much of a jump "Normal" server population is to "Heavy". I would prefer to play on a PvP server, but I'm willing to give that up if it means the places I go to have some semblance of life and not look like ghost towns.

Edit: Have strongholds effectively killed hubs like the Imperial Fleet?

Harbinger is a heavy populated server. The imperial fleet is always packed. I've actually never been to my stronghold with my character on Harbinger. Actually I've only been to one stronghold with one character, that was just to check the free one out you get. Wasn't impressed.

So I just started back up again because of ep7 (really gave me the swtor itch). Would it be possible for someone to invite my knight into the GAF pub guild? My knight's name: Zyplo-rey

I am still not sure what to make of all the changes that have happened. I do like the fact that companions gear is irrevelant. Should have been that way from the beginning. I also kind of like the idea of solo mode FP so people can run through the story, but it doesn't really teach how to properly fight the bosses in a group.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Glad that the bronze/silver/gold packs are coming back next week; maybe some of the old mounts and armor sets will finally tank in price.

Ralemont

not me
Just finished the Imperial Agent storyline. Wow. What a fucking great spy story. And that last part with Hunter was pretty clever and bookended the whole "a spy's sense of identity" thing so well. Playing a gray IA turned out to be very satisfying (
destroyed the Codex and killed the Sith who wanted it. Fuck tha police
).

Just finished the Imperial Agent storyline. Wow. What a fucking great spy story. And that last part with Hunter was pretty clever and bookended the whole "a spy's sense of identity" thing so well. Playing a gray IA turned out to be very satisfying (
destroyed the Codex and killed the Sith who wanted it. Fuck tha police
).
Right on, Cipher Nine.

I kinda want to use my IA into KotFE, but I'm afraid of the dissonance that story has with non-Jedi characters.

Ralemont

not me
Right on, Cipher Nine.

I kinda want to use my IA into KotFE, but I'm afraid of the dissonance that story has with non-Jedi characters.

Yeah, I imagine I'll fire up either a Jedi Knight or Sith Warrior playthrough for the expansions. Agent was so good, but when it comes to the big picture and Star Wars I feel like you gotta do Force user.

Jrmint

Hey guys. So I'm planning on coming back to the game for the first time in a couple years, I know a lot has changed and I've read up on most of it.

One big question. KOTFE is 60-65 right? I left at 55 so I'm not sure how to start the 55-60 content. Could someone point me in the right direction. I'll be subbing for reference.

One other thing. I read how companions got buffed big time. Does this affect existing companions from the initial story, or only new ones?

Thanks a lot guys.

Moff

Hey guys. So I'm planning on coming back to the game for the first time in a couple years, I know a lot has changed and I've read up on most of it.

One big question. KOTFE is 60-65 right? I left at 55 so I'm not sure how to start the 55-60 content. Could someone point me in the right direction. I'll be subbing for reference.

One other thing. I read how companions got buffed big time. Does this affect existing companions from the initial story, or only new ones?

Thanks a lot guys.

at level 55 you can start the shadow of revan expansion, your ships intercom will give you the quest and lead you to the new planet

and yes, all companions have been buffed and you will keep your affection with them
don't invest too much in them, though, because you will lose them when you start Knights of the fallen empire

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

Thanks a lot guys.

Start "Shadow of Revan" or maybe it's listed as "Prelude to Shadow of Revan - X." Anyhow, just focus on prelude to shadow of revan and the shadow of revan storylines, and in all honesty, they will probably take you to 65 or close to it lol. I still recommend finishing it through all the way on one character at least, and you can just play the KOTFE story at level 65. The Shadow of Revan story is pretty solid and sets up KOTFE.

You can skip anything that isn't shadow of revan, so "Oricon" and perhaps 1 or 2 other quests that might be on your ship terminal.

So I played this game at launch and bought the CE but stopped playing very quickly. I want to start playing again and I'm installing it now and plan on grabbing a sub.

Couple of questions.

1. Pointers for a new comer?
2. Any really stand out character classes or should I just pick what I want?
3. I've got 4300 cartel points. What are they? How do I spend them? Should I spend them?

So I played this game at launch and bought the CE but stopped playing very quickly. I want to start playing again and I'm installing it now and plan on grabbing a sub.

Couple of questions.

3. I've got 4300 cartel points. What are they? How do I spend them? Should I spend them?

I don't have any particular tips for new comers but one of the most immediate differences you'll see is that the game is much easier, and your companion will have the option of choosing their role (DPS/Heal/Tank). Healer, with most classes, will be the most useful.

As for class, you really can't go wrong with whatever you pick. In the absolute top tier of skill some classes have better heals, better DPS, etc, but all classes are perfectly viable for all the hardest content in the game.

For cartel coins, those are the currency you use to buy stuff from the cartel market and legacy unlocks. I'd recommend using them to buy the rocket boost pack, as well as all the cooldown upgrades. Once you have them all you can use rocket boost ever 30 seconds, which is extremely handy during ops and flashpoints where you can't mount up. Buying the quick travel cooldown upgrades is also handy, as once you have all of them there is no cooldown.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
thank god, auction house is finally flowing with new items, got tired of seeing only 2-3 copies of an item at absurdly inflated prices

here's to those peeps mass buying gold packs and crashing the market little by little

Couple of questions.

Play whatever class and build you like the sound of most. With the companion overhaul, any build at all is viable for levelling up now. The only thing to note is that the Republic and Sith classes are mirrors of eachother. So, for example, the Sith Juggernaut and Jedi Knight have the exact same abilities, with only a cosmetic difference between them; the same is true for the advanced classes.

Now, if you have a sub the only Cartel Market stuff that's useful are QoL improvements (e.g. bigger stash--if you need it), species unlocks (Cathar, Togruta) if you like one of them a lot, or companion unlocks if you're dying for them (Treek, HK-51 are it, IIRC).
p.s. Don't gamble on the Cartel Market.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
thank god, auction house is finally flowing with new items, got tired of seeing only 2-3 copies of an item at absurdly inflated prices

here's to those peeps mass buying gold packs and crashing the market little by little

Thanks for the headsup, I haven't been on in a few weeks so I'll have to see whats available and cheap. I need to get some cooler armor my sentinel so I will feel compelled to keep going through the JK story.

Repo Man

I like this game but the launcher is killing me. Thought I'd login quick as I keep getting E-mails about some new stuff for subscribers which I am but as I don't play the game a lot at the moment, every time I try to launch the game the launcher starts this whole "reorganizing data"-crap which takes pretty damn long and I really can't be bothered to migrate the installation to my SSD as I'm saving the space on that for the more demanding games.

I did read that theres supposedly a way to use a different launcher that doesn't use the BitRaider Streaming client but last time I tried to follow the instructions on how to set it up, I ended up having to redownload the game and I was still stuck using the BitRaider. Probably something I messed up myself tbh but in all honesty I just wanna play the damn game every once in a while without having to piss about with stoneage shit like this... Oh well, guess I'll just have to deal with it for now and if it really starts to pester me I'll just unsub.

There's a new warzone coming out this year? I guess BioWare remembered PvP players existed!

I like this game but the launcher is killing me. Thought I'd login quick as I keep getting E-mails about some new stuff for subscribers which I am but as I don't play the game a lot at the moment, every time I try to launch the game the launcher starts this whole "reorganizing data"-crap which takes pretty damn long and I really can't be bothered to migrate the installation to my SSD as I'm saving the space on that for the more demanding games.

I did read that theres supposedly a way to use a different launcher that doesn't use the BitRaider Streaming client but last time I tried to follow the instructions on how to set it up, I ended up having to redownload the game and I was still stuck using the BitRaider. Probably something I messed up myself tbh but in all honesty I just wanna play the damn game every once in a while without having to piss about with stoneage shit like this... Oh well, guess I'll just have to deal with it for now and if it really starts to pester me I'll just unsub.
Yeah the other method has you install the game, then close out the launcher, uninstall BitRaider, mess with a launcher file, and then restarting the launcher again. I did it before Knights of the Fallen Empire came out and it's a bit quicker without BitRaider taking control.

If you switch to the direct download launcher you'll have to redownload the entire game, yeah. The BitRaider download is structured differently since you can download while playing.

This BitRaider removal guide is the one I used, IIRC.

Top Bottom