• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft claims another child of Korea

COCKLES

being watched
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200508/200508080012.html

PC Game Addict Drops Dead After Marathon Play
A man in his 20s who had been playing computer games continuously for over 50 hours died of exhaustion on Friday.

Daegu police said Monday a 28-year-old man identified by his family name of Lee collapsed as he was playing computer games at an Internet café in Bokhyeon-dong, Buk-gu. A former colleague who was next to him at the time took him to hospital, but he was dead within three hours.

Lee had been playing games like Starcraft for some 50 hours without sleep from about 9:00 p.m. Wednesday until the moment he died on Friday. "I tried to persuade him to go home, but he kept saying, 'Just one more game' and wouldn't budge from his seat,'" the former colleague said. The Internet café’s proprietor said Lee hardly ate. “I asked him to at least take a nap in my room, but it was no use."

Since being fired early last month over his frequent absences due to his game addiction, Lee had been coming to the PC café every day to play, police said. They believe Lee died of an exhaustion-induced heart attack.

The head of the mental health department at Daegu Fatima Hospital, Park Yeong-woo, said, "Computer game addiction, just like alcohol and drug addiction, is a disease accompanied by withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, irritability and depression... It can easily affect people who are compulsive or introverted, and they need constant help from those around them so they can be treated."

fucking crazy. I still have a hard time believing this can happen to people...

my favorite is the story (or is it now video game urban myth? :D) of the kid that would piss and shit in the corner of his room, five feet away from his computer, so he never had to miss a moment of gaming. :lol

this is one of the top 4 things i want to see before i die. Someone collapsing after playing a videogame. What do they look like in the hours leading up to it? I bet its hilarious.

Ninja Scooter said:
this is one of the top 4 things i want to see before i die. Someone collapsing after playing a videogame. What do they look like in the hours leading up to it? I bet its hilarious.

ZombieWallpapert.jpg

M3wThr33

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

I wonder if they play it so much that it becomes natural for them, so they don't need to use much energy at all to play, so it's less of a battery dying and more of a TV just powering off.

M3wThr33 said:
I wonder if they play it so much that it becomes natural for them, so they don't need to use much energy at all to play, so it's less of a battery dying and more of a TV just powering off.

the latter would be even MORe hilarious!! Note to the internet: Next time one of you losers is going to play a game until you die, setup a webcame first!

Morgan Spurlock should make an episode of 30 Days based on this.

"30 Days... all you can do is sit in front of a computer and play The Sims. Can you pull it off without dying?"

I'd watch it... until MXC came on. :D

M3wThr33

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
the latter would be even MORe hilarious!! Note to the internet: Next time one of you losers is going to play a game until you die, setup a webcame first!
I'd be more hilarious, but I doubt that's how it happens, sadly.
Although just the thought of hearing his head fall face forward onto the keyboard would be hilarious.

"Zerg rushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

LakeEarth

Weird, could've sworn I posted.

His last few games must've really sucked. I can barely play a good game when I'm "long day" tired, I can't believe how bad someone "almost dead" tired would be.

COCKLES

being watched
LakeEarth said:
Weird, could've sworn I posted.

His last few games must've really sucked. I can barely play a good game when I'm "long day" tired, I can't believe how bad someone "almost dead" tired would be.

Ask John Matrix.

:lol

CommandoWatch.jpg

cvxfreak

TheJollyCorner said:
fucking crazy. I still have a hard time believing this can happen to people...

my favorite is the story (or is it now video game urban myth? :D) of the kid that would piss and shit in the corner of his room, five feet away from his computer, so he never had to miss a moment of gaming. :lol

He should have had a gaming laptop then.

Pimpbaa

I can't even play a MMORPG for more than 5 hours, let alone any other genre. And I condsider myself a hardcore gamer. Mind boggling!

all we need is vr then europe and america will be getting storys like this weekly so i ask is this the future of computer games?

belgurdo

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I can't even play a MMORPG for more than 5 hours, let alone any other genre. And I condsider myself a hardcore gamer. Mind boggling!

My experiences with online gaming so far have been an hour or so of Gunz every night for like two weeks, then i got bored and quit. I really can't see how someone can sit on their machines for 10+ hours grinding

bill0527

Pimpbaa said:

Dude you're not hardcore. The Koreans are all pointing at you and laughing right now. Even the dead ones up in Korean heaven are making fun of you. Yu ah uh weaksaurce. :D

I'd think the shops would be worried about the collapses being a liability at this point, if someone is sitting there for an excessive period of time (say, OVER A DAY STRAIGHT), you pull that PC's plug so they lose their progress and ask them to leave.

They might bitch, and not pay, but that way you don't have to worry about, "Crap, there's another dead person on my floor." I think the tradeoff would be worth it.

Pimpbaa

belgurdo said:
My experiences with online gaming so far have been an hour or so of Gunz every night for like two weeks, then i got bored and quit. I really can't see how someone can sit on their machines for 10+ hours grinding

I remember playing marathon 10 hour sessions of games as a kid, but now (i'm 29) I feel like crap after playing for 4 or 5 hours :lol

Pimpbaa

bill0527 said:
Dude you're not hardcore. The Koreans are all pointing at you and laughing right now. Even the dead ones up in Korean heaven are making fun of you. Yu ah uh weaksaurce. :D

Well, not hardcore by Korean standards.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I used to stay up till like 10am playing Starcraft.. Same with Unreal Tourney and Counter-Strike.. although not as hardcore. Online gaming is addictive, In FPS'es I usually quit when I start to get my ass handed to me.. in Starcraft however, if I lose, I need to avenge it. i like going out on top in Starcraft.

the most amazing part of this is "identified by his family name of Lee "

id think in S Korea it'd be faster to go door to door asking if someone was missing than to track someone down by the name of Lee...

masud

Banned
Wow some of you guys are assholes. Seriously though, do you think Blizzard is upset that WCIII never caught on as much as SC? I mean shouldn’t people be dieing from playing that?

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
koam said:
Isn't it a bit too late to die from StarCraft?
Those Koreans are still going strong. I don't even live in Korea, but I go to a Korean dairy and what do I see? The clerk is playing SC. Riding the bus, my friend laughs and says "look at that guy!", what do I see? I look into the office and there's a Korean businessman playing SC. :lol

Paradox

Im currently stationed in Korea (Kunsan) and boy can i tell you they love theyre computer games... alot of lans throughout all of korea. Its pretty cool.

oh and heres another example on how fucking awesome Blizzard is, how many other companies get theyre games played to the point of death? :lol

Top Bottom