• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Fans Denounce 'Excessive' Pricing of Paid Mods - Bethesda's third attempt to monetise fan made mods, review bombing on Steam has commenced

Zathalus

Yes, it is the same thing they did in Skyrim and Fallout.

No, that doesn't mean we should let our objections go unheard. If anything, it is even more important to call out such bad practices now, because Bethesda thinks they will get away with it.
Sure, everyone is free to complain, it just appears a lot of people in this thread appear to misunderstanding what exactly is happening. I'd imagine most PC users would not even use the creation club, other mod managers do a far better job.

Am I correct in assuming that this Creation Club gives the modder some split? So wtf are gamers whining about? If someone wants to get paid they are entitled to it, more than anyone should be in getting free stuff because me me me. If you don't like a mod, don't buy it. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. Easy. If you are no pre order slut, you should be able to get enough infos before a buy to make an informed choice.

RickSanchez

Sure, everyone is free to complain, it just appears a lot of people in this thread appear to misunderstanding what exactly is happening. I'd imagine most PC users would not even use the creation club, other mod managers do a far better job.

Yes, im a PC user and i will do all my modding via Nexus and Mod Organizer. But, i believe, what is being called out here is Bethesda taking their nickel & diming to more egregious levels than before. The worst example is selling one single mission at a time for the equivalent of $7 through the creation club. Even as a PC player, i will miss out on that content because i will never agree to pay for anything more after buying the game (maybe the Shattered Space DLC if it turns out to be really good).

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Am I correct in assuming that this Creation Club gives the modder some split? So wtf are gamers whining about? If someone wants to get paid they are entitled to it, more than anyone should be in getting free stuff because me me me. If you don't like a mod, don't buy it. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. Easy. If you are no pre order slut, you should be able to get enough infos before a buy to make an informed choice.

The 7 dollar quest that is being mentioned is designed by Bethesda them self, essentially it's just DLC is the mod shop, made by the devs themselves (it's also shit for the price)

As for why people don't want besthesda charging for mods, there trying to normalise something that used to be free and supplied by the community and charge for it (you know like how multiplayer used to be community servers, but then Xbox Gold said it needed to charge monthly on top to players to host the matches themselves, followed by PS+)

Yes some individual creators might benefit, but the idea here is how to take something that used to be free and make it as expensive as possible and take a cut. This consistantly confuses console players since they enjoy being shafted and begging for more ("please Sony £80 for PS+ is too cheap, can you charge js more"), but as the PC community has standards this happenes... this is the 3rd time to be exact.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
It’s a matter of context. Post-launch support for Starfield was abysmal, it took them months to fix basic things like maps, HDR and gamma. Content-wise nothing was done at all, and it’s not like the vanilla is sparkling with content. And now Bethesda is asking money for mods, thing that was supposed to be free of charge post-launch support from the community at least. In this context it sounds like an elaborate trolling.

It would’ve fly if the game was Gamepass-only, but a lot of people payed full price for it on Steam and they are beyond the refund threshold. They have a right to be mad about this. Especially since fellow RPGs and space games are bombarding you with free content through way more frequent updates while still supporting mods completely for free.

Yes some individual creators might benefit, but the idea here is how to take something that used to be free and make it as expensive as possible and take a cut.
So the regular capitalism way. I certainly do not really like it, I don't have to, but a product is not per se bad just because it tries to milk you. You have to just not cave and just not buy it. No sales, price tags will disappear. Review bombing every shit seems often like temper tantrum deluxe. Almost all mobile games are so cheaply made they "should" or could be free, but some ask for excessive money, because they can, and if people pay, it would be dumb not to do it. Way above 7dollar for XP-boosts and actual stupid scummy shit ... works incredible great in the cesspool mobile games have become more and more since their inception. Similar struggle here, with the more tradional games, you just have to refuse to pay it. With eg Star Citizen addicts with too much money to spare for all sorts of shit, naturally others want to join in on the fun. Mobile and mtx certainly fuck up games, but whales exist and those will and can buy anything, products that cater to them might tank the game for the "real" gamer, but any corp has to follow the money to some extent, depending on if their staff is willing to walk along with them and if capturing whales outweighs losing your old customers.

Allowing for rather professional modders to participate earning anything seems very fair, I even consider not paying modders kinda shady from the gamers.
And a badly priced DLC that is anyway rather bad, because short, is also nothing particularly new. If it is not the true ending, just ignoring it, seems very easy and justified. So why expect it to be cheaper or free?

Monetization might influence game design in one or another but is inherent to any corp, while speaking with your wallet is the gamer's job, and if some speak another language or voice another opinion than you, it just is what it is. The price tag should influence a buying decision but how the f does it influence Starfield and wht it was before. People expecting the same mod support as before, even expecting fixes to a game they otherwise barely like, should have waited if that support really comes and not just expect something that was not initially sold to them. People way too often buy hopes and dreams and then cry about not getting what they expected. I can't really have sympathy for such people. Far less reasonable than corps squeezing their (dumb) customers.

winjer

Gold Member
So the regular capitalism way. I certainly do not really like it, I don't have to, but a product is not per se bad just because it tries to milk you. You have to just not cave and just not buy it. No sales, price tags will disappear. Review bombing every shit seems often like temper tantrum deluxe. Almost all mobile games are so cheaply made they "should" or could be free, but some ask for excessive money, because they can, and if people pay, it would be dumb not to do it. Way above 7dollar for XP-boosts and actual stupid scummy shit ... works incredible great in the cesspool mobile games have become more and more since their inception. Similar struggle here, with the more tradional games, you just have to refuse to pay it. With eg Star Citizen addicts with too much money to spare for all sorts of shit, naturally others want to join in on the fun. Mobile and mtx certainly fuck up games, but whales exist and those will and can buy anything, products that cater to them might tank the game for the "real" gamer, but any corp has to follow the money to some extent, depending on if their staff is willing to walk along with them and if capturing whales outweighs losing your old customers.

Allowing for rather professional modders to participate earning anything seems very fair, I even consider not paying modders kinda shady from the gamers.
And a badly priced DLC that is anyway rather bad, because short, is also nothing particularly new. If it is not the true ending, just ignoring it, seems very easy and justified. So why expect it to be cheaper or free?

Monetization might influence game design in one or another but is inherent to any corp, while speaking with your wallet is the gamer's job, and if some speak another language or voice another opinion than you, it just is what it is. The price tag should influence a buying decision but how the f does it influence Starfield and wht it was before. People expecting the same mod support as before, even expecting fixes to a game they otherwise barely like, should have waited if that support really comes and not just expect something that was not initially sold to them. People way too often buy hopes and dreams and then cry about not getting what they expected. I can't really have sympathy for such people. Far less reasonable than corps squeezing their (dumb) customers.

It's always funny to see common people simping for big corporations.

Zathalus

It’s a matter of context. Post-launch support for Starfield was abysmal, it took them months to fix basic things like maps, HDR and gamma. Content-wise nothing was done at all, and it’s not like the vanilla is sparkling with content. And now Bethesda is asking money for mods, thing that was supposed to be free of charge post-launch support from the community at least. In this context it sounds like an elaborate trolling.

It would’ve fly if the game was Gamepass-only, but a lot of people payed full price for it on Steam and they are beyond the refund threshold. They have a right to be mad about this. Especially since fellow RPGs and space games are bombarding you with free content through way more frequent updates while still supporting mods completely for free.
I agree it would have been more tolerable if the fixes and game updates were more frequent and actually added more substantial value. I don't think paid mods are a problem by themselves (because paid mods are basically just another way of saying DLC), but the prices they are charging for what basically amounts to the smallest of updates are outrageous. So not something I would spend any money on.

Seems expensive.

But I played the game on gamepass. So will likely get it and future expansions to support the further development.

A lot of games I play on gamepass wish we had this option to support developers.

Not interested in $70 games. I prefer this way.

Rivdoric

Neo Member
The sad part is sooner or later this will be accepted.
This is the third time they try this, each time will improve the reception. People will still voice their discontent but an even bigger base will actually purchase something.
This was the case with DLC's as well, where those DLC's slowly went from real expansions to nowadays microtransactions (skins/boost pack etc...) which is now accepted.

The sad conclusion is that once the profits from the communities work will start to flow, Ubisoft/EA etc... will also implement that idea.
Then the free mods & nexus won't be allowed anymore because of copyright infringement.

This is what will happen, at least for big publishers.

The only thing that could save the AAA video game industry would be a massive downfall/crash because the combination of everything DRMs/DLCs/Microtransactions/Paid mods etc... suffocate the community more and more.

BlackTron

Gold Member
"wait until the mods to fix the game!"

Now pay for those mods to fix the game.

Launch unfinished product, let fans finish product, charge for their free work.

I wonder what would happen if they just finished the game themselves and launched it without Gamepass.

Pallas

Players will speak with their wallets. I’m personally indifferent if the creators get paid for their content(if not then wtf Bethesda) I probably won’t spend money on the paid stuff.

StereoVsn

It's always funny to see common people simping for big corporations.
Yep, it’s fucking insane. Why the hell are people defending avaricious actions by the biggest fucking Corpo on the planet.

Also, it’s lol that Bethesda gives a flat fee to creators and charges these crazy prices or even labels internally made (crappy) quests as mods and charges even crazier prices.

But yeah, people keep stanning.

6p0qioB.jpeg

GHG

Gold Member
Seems expensive.

But I played the game on gamepass. So will likely get it and future expansions to support the further development.

A lot of games I play on gamepass wish we had this option to support developers.

Not interested in $70 games. I prefer this way.

This is a $70 game. What the fuck are you talking about?

So what you're saying is that you're ok with this and then them selling the rest of the quests back to you for $7 a piece?:

LvFKwpk.jpeg

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Random people getting money for their hard work is good, if anyone opposes that, well, that is a fucking mongrel and should be shot at sight. Why? Because people could get some pocket money for their work, or some side income if their main job doesn't provide enough. It would also help to elevate people, that have more than 2 neurons in their brains and replace the current gatekeepers who create these fucking AAA games, that are nothing more than copycats of other established titles or just plain boring and bland.

Creating a mod, a mission, whatever, takes a lot of time. Why is it ok to pay for a faceless company 70 bucks for their work, but not paying another individual a few bucks?

Call the fucking asteroid, send the nukes. These fucking braindead fucks need to be leveled.

Connxtion

Some of the reviews about no mods and a few paid mods justify a negative review 😑 a get it you won’t ever buy anything but to complain about no mods a day after the mod tool was released 🙈😂 what they expecting?

Also if you don’t like something don’t use it, better yet if it costs money don’t buy it 🤷‍♂️ av never paid for a mod to this day even though Skyrim had loads of them.

Only way any of this crap will change is if people stop buying the stuff.

There are also currently 14 pages of free official mods for starfield, there are a crap load on nexus for PC folks.

Just seem to the be the tend now to tarnish a games reputation based on something that’s optional. (Not like helldivers II, that was not optional)

My opinion on the matter.

Fredrik

The sad conclusion is that once the profits from the communities work will start to flow, Ubisoft/EA etc... will also implement that idea.
Then the free mods & nexus won't be allowed anymore because of copyright infringement.
Then we’ll be sailing the dark waters 🏴‍☠️ somewhere else. PC gaming without free modding possibilities would be extremely boring, I use mods on almost all games.

Rambone

Apparently charging for mods must be profitable enough that Beth/MS don't give AF about any butt hurt feelings as the money bags will continue to roll in no matter what. I'm just waiting for them to start selling star ships like Star Citizen for a few hundred dollars.

Top Bottom