• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam 20 year old club

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
20 year badge should be rolling in today

9927fc1ace6d3ef8e31d106b0b04a195.png

Anybody here been on Steam since day 1 and remember the giant pile of shit it used to be? I'm guessing you had to be playing CS 1.6

maybe one day I can sell my 4 digit steam ID for a fortune and redeem my worthless existence

Dr.D00p

January 2004 for me, so i was definitely in the first wave of sign ups.

Of course, I didn't do anything with it until Half Life 2 release day.

Gudji

20 year badge should be rolling in today

9927fc1ace6d3ef8e31d106b0b04a195.png

Anybody here been on Steam since day 1 and remember the giant pile of shit it used to be? I'm guessing you had to be playing CS 1.6

maybe one day I can sell my 4 digit steam ID for a fortune and redeem my worthless existence
Yeah I remember being like "why the fuck do I need to install this shit to play cs 1.6?". 🤣

Honestly I only started buying games on steam in like 2010 or something.

BlackTron

I don't keep track of these kind of things but I definitely already had a Steam account for a while when my video card came with a Half Life 2 code...now I gotta check the age when I get home I've literally never looked at it before

edit: I am completely wrong hindsight is a bitch. My account is dated 4 days after HL2 came out so I'm only at 18 years. Practically a kid.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I have been on Steam 19 years and next April will be 20 years for me. It's amazing to see how far Steam has come since then. Even though they promote a digital platform I trust them a lot more than Epic, Ubisoft, EA, Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo combined. I buy most of my games on here even though I own a Switch.

I really love Nintendo platforms, but I can't trust them enough to buy anything other than exclusives digitally on the Switch. I guess my long term goal is to hack and then back up my digital library at some point to ensure I always have access to the games I payed for.
Ngoa4kf.png

Paasei

Wasn’t there in the beginning. Too busy with MoH:AA, Wolfenstein and Red Faction to “care” about CS.

Can’t remember Steam being a requirement for HL. Maybe I had a pirated version back then.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I remember playing a pirated version of HL2, having issues with it, posting about it, everyone recognizing the issues came from being pirated! A few weeks later, I get a new AMD CPU and it comes with a free copy of the Steam code. Then I had Half Life 2 and all those issues went away. :)

Hudo

I fucking remember when everyone was hating on Steam because you had to install it and make an account in order to play Half-Life 2. I also found that really annoying. I still find it really annoying that your games are account-gated by a fucking store that has the audacity to require a piece of software that you have to install on your PC, but oh well. It's at least the least-worst of all the other DRM-softwares, I guess.

CuNi

I'm only at 15 1/2. Back then, I was still a teenager. I only had the Half Life Platinum Collection, didn't know anything about steam, and played HL2 and episodes on my Dads account before I created my own in 2008.
Man.. how time flies.. I kinda miss the old clunky and T H I C C green Steam-Skin.

AndrewRyan

I'll be at 16 years next month. Seem to remember signing up because of a $1 promo they offered for the Orange Box even though I wasn't a PC gamer at the time. That little discount certainly paid off well for us both.

small_law

I thought Valve was fucking nuts for launching Half-life 2 on Steam. Understand that in 2003, the idea of a software storefront selling you video games you downloaded to your PC was laughable. Tech in the early 2000s wasn't nearly as reliable or as easy to configure as it became a decade later. Routers were slow, Wi-Fi was slow, ISP speeds were slow. Add to that the fact that people were really not comfortable with using credit cards on the internet for any reason at the time.

And yeah that Half-life 2 launch was a complete fucking meltdown. I gave up and came back days later.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
man i fucking hated steam when i bought half life 2 i only had dial up,
fucking dumbest shit ever

Stuart360

man i fucking hated steam when i bought half life 2 i only had dial up,
fucking dumbest shit ever
Its funny how things change over time isnt it. Me and my friend were freaking fuming when we bought HL2 and realized we had to install this 'Steam' to play it. A shit ton of PC gamers were. In fact it caused quite the controversy at the time.
Skip 20 years and there are literally millions of PC gamers that wont even play a game if its not on Steam ,nevermind buy a game not on Steam lol.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i never actually buy games on switch tho lol.
grey keymarkets it is.

but yeah now with the steamdeck? i am kneedeep in
good example how shit stuff can get good

Stuart360

i never actually buy games on switch tho lol.
grey keymarkets it is.

but yeah now with the steamdeck? i am kneedeep in
good example how shit stuff can get good
Well i meant buy a game on Steam in the sense of the game isnt available on Steam, Epic moneyhatt for example, of only available on Uplay etc.
I rarely buy a game through Steam either. In fact you can more oftne then not buy a game cheaper on a key site than in a Steam sale, way cheaper in fact..

Sentenza

18 years close to clocking 19 in a month.

It should actually be 20 for me, since I made my original Steam account the very day Valve opened the beta.
What happened is that one year later I bought a copy of Half-Life 2 on launch day and I gave it to my brother (who was heading home before me) with the clear instructions on how to activate it on my account.
Somehow the MORON managed to create a new separate account with my userid and password switched in places.

When I realized what happened I decided that it was less of a hassle to stick with the new account (since the original at the time only had HL1 -which I already had in multiple copies thanks to game magazines- and a couple of worthless freebies) rather than going through an odyssey with their customer service to remedy the mistake.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Heck yeah, I was there day dot but unfortunately OG account got hacked back then due to being an imbecile with passwords and security. I remember the utter uselessness of the client, and how slow it was to do anything. Yet despite that, it was still really cool to have everything collected together.

Except when it would error out constantly due to too many people using the client services. Or when Steam sales first began with the huge bundles.
v8zqtXM.jpg

Last edited:
Was on console prior to hopping on the PC bandwagon at the beginning of 2011. Was pretty fun being a PC gamer but now I'm back to playing on console exclusively.

image.png

First game I played on my Steam account was the Dota 2 beta. First game I bought was that Borderlands 4-Pack bundle lol.

Last edited:
Mine is at 14, but mostly because I don’t remember which email I used for my first Steam acc that I created in 2004, I was also pirating all of my games up until 2011 since I lived in a third world country. I think I have basically rebought all them games since then lol.

Top Bottom