• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck 2 is 'years away'

Draugoth

Gold Member
JLWNTttP9rWMyGFzFssGJQ-970-80.jpg.webp

The Steam Deck has been a significant hit. So, a sequel seems something of a certainty. But any Steam Deck 2 with a major performance upgrade remains at least a "few years" away.

So says Steam Deck designer Lawrence Yang. Speaking to ye olde Rock Paper Shotgun , what Yang said specifically was, "a true next-gen Deck with a significant bump in horsepower wouldn’t be for a few years."

This shouldn't really be a surprise. After all, the Steam Deck is only now celebrating its first birthday. It's a very slick bit of kit with lots of custom-engineered and commissioned hardware, not least of which is its AMD AP. That makes for a significant investment. So, just like the big games consoles, Steam Deck likes requires a multi-year life cycle to recoup that investment. Rolling out a major upgrade inside, say, 18 months, isn't gonna fly financially.

Yang and his fellow Steam Deck designer, Pierre-Loup Griffais, also point out that there are benefits to providing a stable target for game developers. "If high-end current-gen titles are able to scale to Deck and be a great experience, it also enables smoother performance on a wider variety of PCs, and improve the experience for the whole playerbase," Griffais says.

And, again much like more conventional consoles, the full capabilities of the Steam Deck are still being unleashed, as the recent update to Doom Eternal with added ray-tracing(opens in new tab) running on the Deck demonstrates.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seemed pretty obvious. They announced before the Deck even released that they would iterate "down the line", and everyone somehow took that to mean that Deck 2 was coming out 8 months after the first one.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Valve feels good with steam deck theirs half life 3 psvr2 potential, I don’t know how steam deck works but it doesn’t have many complaints.

graywolf323

Steam Deck is already a Pro itself, just being a high-end premium enthusiast device, in and of itself. No doubt any kind of horsepower increase model would be a few years away, given the cost to produce just this current model.
I thought the smiley gave it away but I was joking, playing off the Switch Pro requests for years

Will snag one. I was touting the idea of getting one earlier this year but my switch backlog and PS5 backlog are too big. I will grab the second when it comes out.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I love my BBD (big black deck) so much it's unreal, probably the peak of comfy videogaming.

Don't think a revision is needed. If anything, a better battery, but I guess you can always open the Deck and replace it yourself, or just use a powerbank.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seems like any significant upgrade at this point would kill the battery.
It really feels like Valve hit the sweet spot with the Deck - between functionality and battery life. In a few more years, the batteries will get better and the components will be lower powered, and that'll be a good time to iterate on the hardware. Right now, you're absolutely correct that if they try shoving more power into this thing with the current tech, the battery life will tank pretty significantly.

Although - as someone who only plays mine in 30-45 minute stints without having it connected to AC power, it'd sure be interesting to see what they could do if they made a Deck purpose built for high end gaming with shit battery life. But, I suppose that's also the fun thing about it as other companies are welcome to release their own thing to try and compete in that sort of niche.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah, and how much would that cost to produce? LOL.

Do you even know how much it costs the SoC on the SteamDeck? It's only 33 dollars.
On N5, a chip of the same size would cost 53 dollars. As you can see, it is more expensive, but 20$ is not that much on a console that sells for many times this cost.
This is using late 2022 wafer prices. Currently TSMC is offering discounts on several nodes to entice companies like AMD and NVidia. So the SoC cost would be lower.

New model with replaceable battery like we had in the early smartphone era plz.

Deck is still the best. I honestly don't have much luck with games if they aren't on deck anymore.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m enjoying mine, and in no hurry to see a shiny new model so soon.

I would love to see Valve make their own “console” style Steam Machine again.

Skifi28

Do people get it meaning to play the latest AAA games on it? I'e always seen the Deck more like a "backlog killer" or an emulation machine.
Can't speak for others, but my use case would be playing the games I'm already playing on my main machine for when I'm too lazy to stop melting on the couch. Even as a secondary machine, I would think twice about paying so much money for something that is already starting to struggle with new releases and a revision is expected. Even if it takes a bit longer.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A Steam Deck 2 right now would be a laptop. Just buy a fucking laptop if the current hardware isn't enough for you and you absolutely must play everything on the go. The thing is already huge.

Comandr

I don’t expect a real next gen steam deck until 2025. The Phawx had a video on this subject recently. The hardware and software both are at an awkward phase and need to mature. I don’t see valve spending a ton of money to produce a new one without a significant improvement in the technology that can tick a lot of the boxes that people have been complaining about.

Let’s look at the facts.

One reason the steam deck is so popular is the amazing entry price versus the power of the device.

Portable, ergonomic, and modular, components are easily swapped out and there’s a ton of support.

The most expensive model is the most popular.

———

There is clearly a demand for a premium product here with most people opting to pay $599 for the device that includes even a paltry 512GB of space.

The way the mobile market is going I believe that by sometime in 2025 valve will have a 6ish TF custom APU available for the device. The bezels will be dialed in and I think we could actually see a small resolution bump to 1080x1200.

I believe an oled option might be on the table but I think the cost would be prohibitive to make that the only option. I don’t expect the physical size of the device to change, as I think the larger size gives them more internal capacity to work with components. She’s a big bitch that’s no doubt but it is insanely comfortable to hold.

SteamOS will also be a long way more mature by that point, the device will no doubt support native dual booting with various steamOS options available on either platform, such as the ability to control fan and clock speeds, etc.

I think when you look at all of the changes that will be apparent by then, it truly will be a colossally different and truly next gen device.

The steam deck is a great product, but more than that, it’s an important one for the industry. It’s just, still, very very much in its infancy. SteamOS 3.5’s change to allow it to use NTFS SD cards prove that.

jshackles

A Steam Deck 2 right now would be a laptop. Just buy a fucking laptop if the current hardware isn't enough for you and you absolutely must play everything on the go. The thing is already huge.
I have a 17-inch gaming laptop that I bought last year right before the Steam Deck came out. It was three times the price of the Deck, but indeed more powerful. I use it when I'm traveling, because it's the perfect size to mount to my steering wheel with a custom desk mount I have.

The Deck usually gets relegated to "gaming on the couch while my wife watches Lifetime movies" gaming time, and it's honestly pretty great for that.

CuNi

Hoped there would be a steam deck releasing every 3-ish years.
Still great to hear that they will continue making more hardware.
Maybe some Pro/OLED versions like some people before me asked for would be nice too.

yeah every 5 years would be good for me, we don't need the latest and greatest, i want it to be more refined next. Less power consumption, bettery battery, OLED, smaller bezel and slightly smaller form factor with the same size screen. I can wait for a proper upgrade.

Puscifer

Remember steambox?

brad pitt gywneth paltrow GIF
I mean I got the idea around Steamboxes but realistically in the long run those were never going to be popular, anyone interested in the idea of Steam for their gaming isn't going to look at a pre built. Most people I see using pre builts all do stuff like LoL or Fortnite, anyone doing a full blown gaming rig isn't going pre built

Schmendrick

10k for a N7 wafer. Then you use a die yield calculator.
yeah, that´s definitely not what AMD sells it to valve for....that is just the pure manufacturing die cost (if the numbers are correct)....R&D + margin is the biggest part of the price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom