• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Draugoth

Gold Member
A high dynamic range screen, a longer-lasting battery, faster downloads, and much more]

Steam Deck LCD is being discounted to $399.

qTUZa7M.png

e33ApPo.png

N0wGnq0.png

A Limited Edition will also be available for $699.

IMG-2217.jpg

Introducing the Limited Edition Steam Deck OLED, a different colorway for the 1TB Steam Deck OLED. Quantities are highly limited, and are only available in the United States and Canada.

• 1TB NVMe SSD
  • 1280 x 800 HDR OLED display with premium anti-glare etched glass
  • 7.4" Diagonal display size
  • 6nm APU
  • Wi-Fi 6E
  • 50Whr battery; 3-12 hours of gameplay (content-dependent)
  • 45W power supply with 2.5m cable
  • Limited edition carrying case with removable liner
  • Steam profile bundle
  • Exclusive startup movie
  • Exclusive virtual keyboard theme

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Still terrible1280x800 16:10 fucking crap.
THat's so pixelated. Looks like shit and yeah, I had a deck.
There is no reason not t have higher res screen and then just render games at whatever res you need.

And 16:10 should've died back in 2008.

Sleepwalker

There is no reason not t have higher res screen and then just render games at whatever res you need.

Never had an issue with the aspect ratio and I see people buying these high res handhelds (go, ally) and then playing games at 720p or 800p same shit lol

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Never had an issue with the aspect ratio and I see people buying these high res handhelds (go, ally) and then playing games at 720p or 800p same shit lol
well yeah of course you are not going to play at 1440p on a handheld.
But sure as fuck, 720p game will look way better without huge pixel gaps, on a nice 1440p or 4k oled screen. Even 1080p.
Not to mention, you can use fsr.
I think 720p rendered on 1440p 7" screen looks 10x better than 720p rendered on 720p" 7" screen. That's it.

nowhat

As someone rocking a Thinkpad X1 Carbon with a 2880x1800 OLED screen (so yes, that's 16:10) - fuck off. Any extra vertical space is very much welcome to anyone not just consuming media, especially for programmers. As for gaming, ehh, it's not a big deal. I suppose you can run letterboxed if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Last edited:

LokusAbriss

Will it be possible to put the oled screen on the original steam deck, if we can get hands on the screen itself? That would be interesting.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As someone rocking a Thinkpad X1 Carbon with an 2880x1800 OLED screen (so yes, that's 16:10) - fuck off. Any extra vertical space is very much welcome to anyone not just consuming media, especially for programmers. As for gaming, ehh, it's not a big deal. I suppose you can run letterboxed if that makes you feel more comfortable.
Many games are not 16:10. Not using all the space on handheld is waste of it's already small size.
the "mah vertical real estate" was always bullshit. It's almost nothing but enough to create annoying standard where there already is one - 16:9 for movies and gaming.
I had 16:10 lcd like everyone. But I was so happy to move to 16:9 in 2013 lol

spons

Gold Member
Thank god. I've heard the original screen panel was kinda poopy, especially compared to the Switch OLED (but also other handhelds).
Steam Deck + OLED + the entire system they've created, I'd rather get this over anything deemed "more powerful".

nowhat

the "mah vertical real estate" was always bullshit.
So reading between the lines, you don't do much beyond consuming media/games? Hey, whatever works for you. But to some of us who actually use said vertical space to actually, you know, work, it is quite invaluable.

Poppyseed

It is the one thing that lets it down. Problem is it's not powerful enough for 1080p for more modern games. But... now it's a larger 7.4" screen, so now an even lower ppi display. Such a shame.

LordOfChaos

Ah so there it is, I was wondering what the update going through the FCC was since they seem to not want to raise the performance ceiling until after 2025. The screen is a bit grungy so that will be a nice upgrade.

spons

Gold Member

Kinda agree with this. 1080p OLED panel for games that can run on it decently (i.e. 99% of indies, imagine good art style on a screen like that), and just turn the resolution down to 720p for games that can't run properly.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So reading between the lines, you don't do much beyond consuming media/games? Hey, whatever works for you. But to some of us who actually use said vertical space to actually, you know, work, it is quite invaluable.
Of course I don't work on my computer and oled tv. I play and consume content on it.
My workstation is at my work..
but still - the vertical space going from 9 to 10 is almost nothing. It's not enough to muddy the standards with another format.
Steam Deck is a gaming handheld. you are not filling 1 more excel line in there.

So it's much better than the previous model AND it's cheaper than the old model was on release? I'm tired... am I reading this right?
Yes, it's $100 cheaper than the old 512GB LCD model which was $649 back when it originally released (there was however a lesser 64GB eMMC model which was priced at $399). As for the upgrades they're quite substantial I'd say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom