• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck |OT| Nintendo Switch 2

.Pennywise

Banned
kvmaMRq.png

PAvfgtC.png

SkD0ONt.png

42XIyGF.png

wmXkhYw.png

d9oYFm3.png

z59FAYU.png

d1BGKYM.png

7svkzWB.png

GegbvH1.png

FZog07j.png

ywFSdns.png

UbZRExP.png

iiNsuyf.png

8ehwjS0.png

There’s a dock, too.

The Steam Deck™ Docking Station props up your Steam Deck while connecting to external displays, wired networking, USB peripherals, and power. You can also use a powered USB-C hub, if you've got one lying around.

The official dock will be sold separately. Add it to your Steam wishlist to get notified when it's available to order. Coming late Spring 2022.

dockingstation02_thumb.png

dockingStation01_thumb.png

dVsqUOn.png

Can you have multiple Steam accounts on one Steam Deck?​

Yes, and each account on a Steam Deck will keep its own local save data and settings.

Can I run non-Steam games through Proton on Steam Deck?​

Yes, you can run non-Steam games through Proton.

Will Steam on Steam Deck have an ‘Add a Game’ feature like Steam on desktop?​

Yes, we'll support adding games like we do for the desktop Steam client.

Will the UI on Steam Deck replace Big Picture?​

That is what we’re aiming for, though the rollout will happen in stages.

Will improvements to Proton for Steam Deck (like anti-cheat support) also apply to Proton on desktop?​

Yes, these improvements will make it to all systems using Proton.

How will SteamOS and Steam Deck handle offline mode when it comes to launching games?​

Just like a PC, you'll need to be online to download games and play online multiplayer games. Once a game is installed on disk, you can play while Steam Deck is offline unless the game requires an internet connection.

What file system format does the microSD card use on Steam Deck?​

Steam Deck microSD cards use ext4 with casefolding - Steam Deck formats SD cards to the proper format.

Can Steam Deck be used as a PC controller?​

Yes, you can connect your Steam Deck to a PC via Remote Play and use it as a controller.

Will Steam Deck work with PC VR headsets?​

While technically a PC VR headset can be connected, the Steam Deck is not optimized for PC VR experiences.

Does docking the Deck improve performance?​

No, docking is more akin to plugging a USB-C hub into a PC. Steam Deck runs at full performance in portable mode.

What kinds of screens do the 64 GB and 256 GB models have?​

All models have a glass screen (optically bonded IPS LCD). The 512 GB model's screen has an additional anti-glare etched treatment applied to it.

What kinds of haptics does the Steam Deck have?​

The Steam Deck has dual LRA motors, one under each trackpad.

Does the audio jack support audio + mic?​

Yes, CTIA standard layout.

Is the touchscreen multitouch?​

Yes, ten fingers.

How long is the charging cable?​

1.5 meters, or 4.9 feet.

Will Steam Deck be sold in retail stores?​

Steam Deck is only available directly via Steam. We may be partnering with retailers as we make Steam Deck available in more regions - more information about that soon.

What can you tell us about the BIOS and does it allow dual-boot?​

Multi-boot is supported - you can have multiple OSes installed and choose which one to boot into. Users will have access to the BIOS menu.

Can you boot an OS off the SD card?​

Yes, Steam Deck supports boot from microSD.

Will Steam Deck support external GPUs?​

No, external GPUs are not supported on Steam Deck.

Can I change which model of Steam Deck after I've already reserved?​

No, once you've reserved a Steam Deck, the only way to change your model is to cancel and reserve again (this would put you at the end of the queue for your region).

How easy is it for end-users to replace the thumbsticks / SSD?​

This is one of the most frequently asked questions we received, but the answer is a bit complicated so in this case we're answering with a video. (Spoiler alert: we don't recommend replacing parts yourself, but we still want you to have all of the relevant information about Steam Deck's components.)

XW15OGH.png

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I hope someone does a detailed tutorial for dummies like me for putting emulators on this thing. I haven't done much emulation since the early 2000s lol.

.Pennywise

Banned
I hope someone does a detailed tutorial for dummies like me for putting emulators on this thing. I haven't done much emulation since the early 2000s lol.
Check this dude

He has a ton of videos on emulation and other stuff in Steam Deck (he even had Nintendo Switch emulation videos but Nintendo took the videos down)

Guilty_AI

Shouldn't be much different from setting up the emulator of your choice on linux.
If the emulator doesn't have a native linux version, you'd have to run it through something like Lutris/wine.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
One of those estimators for email date said mine should arrive on Monday. I'm not really buying it as I'm still in the Q2 group but I do suspect I'm near the front of the Q2 group so maybe in a few weeks.

Kupfer

I'm currently waiting for my replacement unit. Unfortunately, my first Deck was defective and I had to send it back. But until then, it was a lot of fun playing around with the Deck and it makes a quality impression. I'm looking forward to tomorrow when the new one will be delivered and hope that the first was just a one-off.

Two years from now no one will remember what a Steam Deck even is anymore.

In 2024 you will remember the wise words of Slime Goo Goo.

Maybe. But I'm still using my 2012 Vita for homebrew & emulation, so I think the Deck will be a long time companion for me.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Awesome and timely OT!

I just got mine last night. It took a while to get things updated fully (kinda scary doing a firmware upgrade on a sideways DOS-looking screen) but everything went well. I downloaded Final Fantasy VI Pixel Remaster (unknown compatibility) but it ran great. Then I downloaded LEGO Avengers (yellow dot compatibility), which also ran fantastically although it probably got the lower ranking because there was a 3 pixel green bar at the top of the screen. Otherwise, perfect. My only gripe is the same gripe I have with Steam in general, I wish there was an "achievement unlocked" sound.

This is going to be a fun little machine.

Kupfer

Damn sorry to hear that..
What problem were you experiencing?
Long story short:
Had problems with the initial update, Deck froze several times and it bootlooped randomly, had to reset (factory reset via booting an image) it serveral times and when it finally ran, it's Wifi didn't connect to my invisible SSID no more.
Reported all my problems to Valve and they wanted it back for further investigation

Last edited:

MadViking

I have mine since several days. I like almost everything about it, except just one thing. The face buttons and dpad are amazing, maybe even better than vita oled buttons. The thumbsticks and triggers are very good too. It's more comfortable to hold than switch, despite bigger size and weight. SteamOS is much better than I expected. The gaming performance is shockingly good. The only bad thing for me is the screen is really really bad and the colors are so bland that it ruins all the positive experience for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've been wishing the same for years now.
Maybe when the new desktop BPM rolls out but I have my doubts.
It's possible to do this in Windows

But for Steam Deck, I don't believe it is (yet)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Switch has proven sample size Valve will try to capitalize off that success.
I see the Deck as an extension of umpc's/handheld PCs, going all the way back to the OQO and more recently with the GPD Win(2016). It comes from a lineage not connected to or inspired by the Switch and it's sales.

Valve seems more motivated by the goal of making Steam/PC gaming independent of Windows. This is a good way to do it.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I'm really loving my deck so far. It's great in handheld and desktop modes and very capable for it's size. So far I haven't found a title in my library that I haven't been able to play, though several have required quite a bit of tinkering. I had forgotten how much I really love all the steam community features too. Access to years of forums per game is super awesome. Valve has a ton of work to do to fix bugs and improve the interface but it's a really fun device.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I played some Rogue Legacy 2 on my flight and am absolutely in love with my deck. I do wish there was a less bulky option for a case as it takes up a lot of space in my backpack.

I tried to get in some time with Chrono Trigger but unfortunately it crashes when trying to load a cutscene. I’m stuck right at the start of the BC era with no way to bypass the movie before the game crashes out.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I fixed the issue with Chrono Trigger by remote desktop-ing into my home PC. I got through the cutscene but none of the controls would really work, only touch screen inputs did. I gave it a shot on my Deck and suddenly the FMV played without issue.
I hope an official patch comes out to fix the issue. CT is too great a classic and deserves to run well on the Deck.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
All right I got to the Magic Mountain cutscene in Chrono Trigger on my Deck and sure enough it crashes again when loading the FMV. I remoted into my home pc again since I’m on the road for work. I use Chrome Remote Desktop but I think any software can do the trick. Loaded the game there and used the touch input method (as opposed to trackpad) and got into the cave after the cutscene. I then have to go to setting on CRD and send a ctrl-alt-del signal and use task manager to force quit. When I load up CT on my Deck it puts me in the cave.

I also verified that I can stream the game on my deck from the PC rather than the local version. I would bet this would also be a viable means to bypass the bug. I’ll try that on the next cutscene.

Hotel Wi-Fi sucks ass and has always been an issue for me. I have tried Steam streaming before but it usually results in massive input lag and terrible frame rates. This was a big reason to get the Deck and so far, despite some hiccups with CT, the device is doing exactly what I want. And as someone who has used Linux as a primary OS back in the day, I am blown away by how much lifting Proton is doing to get some of these games running. Hugely impressive feat.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
All right I got to the Magic Mountain cutscene in Chrono Trigger on my Deck and sure enough it crashes again when loading the FMV. I remoted into my home pc again since I’m on the road for work. I use Chrome Remote Desktop but I think any software can do the trick. Loaded the game there and used the touch input method (as opposed to trackpad) and got into the cave after the cutscene. I then have to go to setting on CRD and send a ctrl-alt-del signal and use task manager to force quit. When I load up CT on my Deck it puts me in the cave.

I also verified that I can stream the game on my deck from the PC rather than the local version. I would bet this would also be a viable means to bypass the bug. I’ll try that on the next cutscene.

Hotel Wi-Fi sucks ass and has always been an issue for me. I have tried Steam streaming before but it usually results in massive input lag and terrible frame rates. This was a big reason to get the Deck and so far, despite some hiccups with CT, the device is doing exactly what I want. And as someone who has used Linux as a primary OS back in the day, I am blown away by how much lifting Proton is doing to get some of these games running. Hugely impressive feat.

Have you tried running it using Proton Experimental? Some, maybe even all, Square Enix remakes and remasters on PC use Windows media formats for their FMV. They tend to not run or not run correctly through Proton, but the experimental build tends to have some fixes for things like this.

chaseroni

Have you tried using Proton-GE?
Might work with that version

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Have you tried running it using Proton Experimental? Some, maybe even all, Square Enix remakes and remasters on PC use Windows media formats for their FMV. They tend to not run or not run correctly through Proton, but the experimental build tends to have some fixes for things like this.

Have you tried using Proton-GE?
Might work with that version
I’ve tried several versions and still get the crash. I e seen similar posts on the protondab:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Horizon Zero Dawn seems to work great from what I've played. Unfortunately, Guardians of the Galaxy has some minor graphical glitches, what looks like shadow flickering.

Steam Deck is awesome as a giant GBA. Retro games look really good on it. Even older PC games are much more palatable on the smaller screen than playing on big monitor or TV. This thing is the ultimate Retro+Steam backlog killer.

Last edited:

jshackles

Horizon Zero Dawn seems to work great from what I've played. Unfortunately, Guardians of the Galaxy has some minor graphical glitches, what looks like shadow flickering.

Steam Deck is awesome as a giant GBA. Retro games look really good on it. Even older PC games are much more palatable on the smaller screen than playing on big monitor or TV. This thing is the ultimate Retro+Steam backlog killer.
Agree completely. I've been having a lot of fun gaming on the Deck, and like you said it's great for retro gaming. I've also found that it excels greatly for smaller indie games - for example I've been playing Monster Sanctuary on it and it's been an amazing experience. Definitely feels like a GBA2.

Vampire Survivors, Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Terrarria, Binding of Issac, Don't Starve, Slay the Spire, Hades, Cuphead... all examples of really great games that aren't super graphically taxing and play great on the Steam Deck.

Romulus

I think switch being the only mainstream handheld sort put a bad taste in my mouth seeing all its dubbed down ports. But chipsets have greatly improved and something like the deck is at least serviceable for these more demanding games.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Damn, I was really hoping that would work for you (and me, I am playing it as well but haven't reached a cutscene yet).
Let me know if it works out for you.
Agree completely. I've been having a lot of fun gaming on the Deck, and like you said it's great for retro gaming. I've also found that it excels greatly for smaller indie games - for example I've been playing Monster Sanctuary on it and it's been an amazing experience. Definitely feels like a GBA2.

Vampire Survivors, Stardew Valley, Dead Cells, Terrarria, Binding of Issac, Don't Starve, Slay the Spire, Hades, Cuphead... all examples of really great games that aren't super graphically taxing and play great on the Steam Deck.
Vampire Survivors is on my list of games to pick up specifically for the Feck.

jshackles

Let me know if it works out for you.

Vampire Survivors is on my list of games to pick up specifically for the Feck.
Excellent game, a fun roguelike with an old school Castlevania aesthetic. Fun unlocks and an addictive gameplay loop. Highly recommended, especially for $3.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Fabulous product. My only complaint is that it's a little too bulky. Not too much though, it's still an awesome system.

Any hard news on how it's been doing in terms of sales?

Top Bottom