• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoemonk

Idle Master is nice. I ran it for several days and now have all my cards. I remember when trading cards first debuted and I did them all manually.

Phinor

How much does an AK-47 cost in CS:GO?
$2700

I knew CS:GO was horrible terrible abomination (because it's popular, obviously) but they changed AK-47 price too?! Blasphemy! It's all ruined.

The last time CS was this messed up was when they released a retail version and had to change weapon names.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

The Dream Machine Chapters 1-3 -- MB-6380C34BC3214DEC - Taken by Corvo Jensen
The Dream Machine Chapters 1-3 #2 -- MB-6221B7DC79ABD0A7 - Taken by Regginator

nbraun80

Anybody playing the descent underground early access? Thoughts? Is it really coming out in March?
If people do want to try it, it is in a bundle on Indiegala for $2, comes with elliot quest, well worth it.

Glad I grabbed Darkest Dungeon at the last minute now. I'm about an hour or so in and it's pretty damn good so far.
Yeah it can be tough, but definitely a great, need to get back into it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I knew CS:GO was horrible terrible abomination (because it's popular, obviously) but they changed AK-47 price too?! Blasphemy! It's all ruined.

The last time CS was this messed up was when they released a retail version and had to change weapon names.

I was a fan of the Dynamic Weapon Pricing madness they added into CS:S temporarily.

It would have worked out better if more weapons were viable at the time, I think.

Idle Master is nice. I ran it for several days and now have all my cards. I remember when trading cards first debuted and I did them all manually.

my only pet peeve while idling is that it adds the additional time to your time tracker. not a deal breaker by any means, but ideally i'd like my time trackers to be untempered with. not sure if that would be even possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hello,

a bit of thoughts about games I bought recently, please mind that most of them have been played just a bit:

Thanks, always great to see impressions of smaller stuff that slipped through the cracks!

No one wrote about The Witness? I'm surprised =/

I did but the submission was rejected

Ui3clVS.png

Seeing the Dream Machine games as a garbage dump makes me sad.

Yes, it's only the first three chapters, but guys. This is an artfully-done point and click adventure. Hand-done claymation graphics, good story, good puzzles...just plain good game.

They're only garbage dumped because I'm not 100% sure the keys work. They should, but I wouldn't want someone to be throttled for nothing.

Closing the redundant Steam Community thread and making a mega thread on gaming seemed like a great success. It was an excellent experience meeting new people, discussing niche game choices, and having a generally good time.

Looking forward to doing it again for the Summer Sale.

Meanwhile I saw the thread got 90 pages in the first couple of days and noped the fuck out. Only came back in the new year when it seemed to be going slower.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm also posting this as a thread on the Gaming GAF side (which you can find here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166169 ), but I'll be talking about older and newer horror games through 2016 to recommend to you guys, and I'm starting with...

tumblr_mbgpi0aPhU1rnnop6o1_500.gif

This game's 10th year anniversary occurs around this time year (for Xbox it was last October, for PC it's next April), so I thought now would be a good time to talk about this cult Lovecraftian classic. It is a cult gem with some fantastic pacing, escalation, and moments hidden in its depths, and is worth playing/discussing.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was a late 2005/early 2006 action-adventure survival-horror game for the Xbox and PC, that has been praised by many as one of (if not the) best Lovecraftian games to exist. You play as a man named Jack Walters, who's a detective. The game starts with a prologue section when Jack helps a local police force he's acquainted with break into a house run by a group of cultists. They're shooting-up the police... However, when Jack infiltrates, the cultists don't seem to be hostile towards him, but rather actually welcome him with open arms, as they commit a mass-suicide ritual. And when he enters the basement, he witnesses something strange, and everything becomes a blur. He becomes conscious six years later, when he finds out he spent the last six years in a mental asylum. He has no memory of this time, and to him he was just at the cultists house. He of course is really curious about this time, but tries to resume his detective agency. He receives a letter and takes on the requested case to investigate a missing persons report of a Brian Burnham, a man who tried to start a grocery store chain in a nearby coastal town of Innsmouth. He goes to investigate.

What some may not know is that the game had quite the development cycle. It was created by Headfirst Productions, and was one of only two games they ever managed to release. The development of the game started in 1999. A member of the Headfirst, Andrew Brazier, and talked to members of a Usenet group known as alt.horror.cthulhu, who focused on discussion of Lovecraft and his mythos. Andrew brought up that his company was going to make a Lovecraftian game, and wanted ideas and help to keep the Lovecraft tone and mythology solid in the game. The game was tentaviely titled, "FPHAS - a First Person Horror Adventure Shooter," and was supposed to come out in 2001... And then got delayed again and again to hell. It was originally supposed to be a more open-RPG system with four player co-op, but as it went along and got delayed, ended up as a first-person action-adventure horror game with elements of stealth and various of Lovecraft's works. Unfortunately, following the release, the company was put into administration by Bethesda as they were trying to work on a sequel, known as Call of Cthulhu: Beyond the Mountains of Madness, and were disbanded, laid off, and the project cancelled.

Which is a shame, but at the very least from all of this we got what may be one of the best takes on making an atmospheric first-person shooter in the Lovecraft universe.

Call-of-Cthulu-Screen-2-600x320.jpg

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth PC Release Trailer

I had played this game years ago, but gave it another swing a few weeks ago. What surprised me most upon replaying it happens to be how well-paced and designed the title is. The game is a bit long and it does move at a bit of a slower-burn pace through a lot of it, especially the beginning, but it manages to keep things interesting and varied, building off what it introduces. It's kind of a cinematic horror-game, but not in the sense there's a lot of QTEs or even cutscenes, but it all has a cinematic flair but puts you in the shoes to survive and progress through levels that have actual diversity, mechanics, traps, and areas to progress and tackle either through method of stealth, shooting back, running for it, or whatever. The game even at a few points lets you try to save others or concern yourself with just saving yourself. It's hard to talk about this without spoiling the game, but they introduce new elements all the way through to the end of the game and keep things interesting and mix-it up at just the right moments when something else may begin to be becoming ordinary or something mundane.

Mixed with a pretty well-told Lovecraftian narrative (that blends a few scenes and settings from a few of his novels and the Call of Cthulhu board game), a fairly challenging FPS-stealth game, a subtle and slowly growing madness and twisted monstrosities on the horror front, and the survival and supplies to try and support yourself with of a survival-horror game, the game has some great atmosphere in places, some memorable moments and scenes, an interesting (though not original) story, good sound design and music, but yet what it impresses with the most is its pacing, design, and gameplay, which is quite a feat. Obviously it shows its age a bit here 10 years later, but it's held up remarkably well in many ways.

Except in the technical department. The game naturally had a few bugs, but they're worse on newer machines, that can give some people trouble with running or it crashing on PC. My recommendation is to use this patch: http://dcotetools.sucklead.com/2012/10/version-15-available.html / And for some issues encountered, this may help: http://videodiscthings.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/glorious-glitches-call-of-cthulhu-dark.html

0000009022.600x338.jpg

If you haven't played it, with the 10th anniversary here I would recommend it, but that's just how I feel. How about you SteamGAFwho've played the game? Going to see if I can push to make a few of you to take the dive into this submerged gem.

4536149+_1bfe7a2de7626664dac425fb7d22ef3e.gif

4536149+_8e50bc548883d0ef2600138466304d7f.gif

4536149+_29215a9c85b6e24270568f075a601384.gif

4536149+_7629c72bf792ed771f14b5f97328bcc7.gif

XShagrath

I have no idea. I just went by what the kid wrote down. I assume he wouldn't purposely put the wrong answer, unless he was trying to be an idiot.

Glad I grabbed Darkest Dungeon at the last minute now. I'm about an hour or so in and it's pretty damn good so far.

It is good, i picked it up the other day and have a few hours in it. I really like the tension it evokes, the simplicity of the actual gameplay means it's easy to play and i'm finding myself thinking "Go on then, just one more run."

Just remember you are cheese to the MASSIVE Cheesegrater of the RNG. Every now and then it will punt you in the knackers with steelies on. It's a harsh game but addictive.

Haunted

Darkest Dungeon is too hardcore for me.

I can't deal with the negative quirks, with having to sideline my favourite characters for a while, juggling between different teams, not being able to build up and choosing to be overleveled. There's too much negative feedback for me to enjoy the game.

That's not the fault of the game, that's just on me. It executes excellently on everything it wants to do, it's just not the right game for me at this time.

Hinomura

Dead State: Reanimated
ss_6883b512535ae769c0b014e685c347aa6d267b5f.600x338.jpg

Very nice survival zombie game. Tried just a bit but the premise and the way it works are very exciting. I've raided a shop in a town, a not seen zombie suddendly attacked my party and we managed to kill it. We moved carefully and got everything, then we moved out. Too many zombies to try anything else, we changed the destination. We approached a market. No zombies, we started getting materials and useful items. We decided to explore the city. F**K!!!! A group of angry people started screaming to us that they didn't stand scanvengers! We run for our lives and managed to get back to our base. But resources are scarce. What will we do next?

Toren
ss_ce1b04e42e72d8c42ca03b06a4628f0356cab73b.600x338.jpg

Toren is a Brazil made game with a bit of platforming and fighting. It's a touching story my daughter loved it (I had to translate everything because text was not in our language... dev please!). She loved it and she finished it. It's on the short size, it's nothing astonishing but has its own charm. Consider it to break from monotony.

Ryse: son of Rome
ss_94ea559e8814b0de31d969fce3e1da9b882534a6.600x338.jpg

This is a "game" I was curious about it. I knew it had semi-automatic gameplay (auto platforming and QTE) and got a very simple gameplay for the rest. Ok, I'll be frank. I had fun with it. Sometimes a game which doesn't require your brain to work almost at all and gives back premium assets, a story and something static to follow, could be a nice break. So, consider it as a break: for a few bucks it could be a nice diversion.

Age of Wonders III
ss_b16e4733f55341331e4ce199f71e48057ef56f75.600x338.jpg

I love tactic / strategic games, but usually I have too little time to play them in the right way. I played the first campaing of AOW3 and it was brutally easy. There were no malus to overpower yourself quickly and the battles became a farce. But. That was the "tutorial" first campaing. Fun to explore the possibilities but too easy, too easy, to accomplish. I'm sure the following campaiigns will be a lot tougher, and furthermore this is a kind of game that shines in multiplayer.

Super Galaxy Squadron
ss_91ffd3461b9e86662ddc014cff4719062d2cb458.600x338.jpg

The first time I played this game I was almost mad. Dev screamed "it's not a bullet hell game!" and that was so untrure. Played a bit then quitted, if I remember correctly I had a few words with Neogaf Rayge which considered the game not so bad. In these days I discovered it got achievements, and I played a bit of it, scoring 8/9 achievement (with the last achievement on hold because I stopped playing and saved a game). Well. It's not the best shmup ever, but it's fun. A lot of stuff has been fixed, even if the balance is out of axis according to the ship you choose.
A little spot for me, I'm making a shmup, it'll take probably forever, but my goal is to surpass this one, in fun and content, but I know it won't be easy .:)

EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA

I'm not a "PC" gamer, I'm a gamer which followed pratically anything. Well, PC gaming in these days is fantastic: almost anything from consoles, a ton of exclusives (when R360 Revolver debuted on PC I thought I went crazy), affordable costs and total customization.

But, I've bought a PS4 just for Bloodborne. It was heavily discounted, and checking howlongtobeat I knew I'll have a lot of hours from it. I read Grief.exe was very reluctant about buying a PS4 'cause of lack of exclusives, but showing and interest to Bloodborne (tell me whatever you want, but a console is made from exclusive games). Hey Grief, the price for hour of fun for Bloodborne is not that terrible ^__^

Thats'it! Please spiritually support me for my shmup :D

200.gif

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

12 Labours of Hercules II: The Cretan Bull -- MB-2AE66C829EFE8376 - Taken by Stumpokapow
Dream Tale -- MB-8D241719B237EA56 - Taken by Krystof Koreni
Cave Coaster -- MB-72FE11E04C74AD1E - Taken by Haunted
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-2507A02D73CE2E62 - Taken by ussjtrunks
12 Labours of Hercules -- MB-76CA74605EF333C4 - Taken by Madn

MikeDown

Banned
Toren

Toren is a Brazil made game with a bit of platforming and fighting. It's a touching story my daughter loved it (I had to translate everything because text was not in our language... dev please!). She loved it and she finished it. It's on the short size, it's nothing astonishing but has its own charm. Consider it to break from monotony.

how did i miss this?!?!??!?!

ROTTR is planned to be released this month, yet no exact date or price or pre-order option. I bet the date is just a placeholder since the deal isn't finished yet. Don't get surprised if the game gets delayed.

Adnor

Banned
The main thing I've learned today playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 for the first time: Going in reverse in a truck is weird.

Ryne

Can't wait for Dragon's Dogma. Great writeup Dr Dogg.

Playing this game with a decent framerate and without screen tearing will be great. The game nearly made me sick on the PS3 but I still forced my way through my brothers copy. I neeeeed to play this on the PC, like right now.

septicore

I hope both Danganronpa games come out to Steam soon because I'm playing the 1st one on my PS Vita and this game is crazy in a good way.

I believe its a game that everybody should play but make sure you don't get spoiled.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lumino City -- MB-B9C6B69D54184E7E - Taken by the_firewithin. 3 entrants total.
12 Labours of Hercules II The Cretan Bull -- MB-8A5D2EF50EE9F428 - Taken by Diedac. 5 entrants total.
The Deer -- MB-F43EA419832B2DB1 - Taken by Cth. 4 entrants total.
Dream Tale -- MB-31A4B86ED641FAF7 - Taken by bkw. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Descent Underground -- MB-DB9327F9690FF41F - Taken by spindoctor. 9 entrants total.
Cheesecake Cool Conrad -- MB-4951F17ED7E3B950 - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Cave Coaster -- MB-44C90FE7B09B60E6 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
Loot Hero DX -- MB-0DDDF14E7113D899 - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-9C94C4F17F641158 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
12 Labours of Hercules III Girl Power -- MB-4E9DBF2FD8EC66EE - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
Gem Wars: Attack of the Jiblets -- MB-7DAFAF92103DB64E - Taken by ExoSoul. 3 entrants total.
12 Labours of Hercules -- MB-6E540F841931D63E - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Error: The key you tried to add for The Land of Eyas failed because it was already in ModBot from another user. If you wish to re-gift a key, please read the help thread under 'I accidentally took a key I didn't want' and follow those instructions before re-adding.

t1451958887z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lumino City -- MB-B9C6B69D54184E7E - Taken by the_firewithin. 3 entrants total.
12 Labours of Hercules II The Cretan Bull -- MB-8A5D2EF50EE9F428 - Taken by Diedac. 5 entrants total.
The Deer -- MB-F43EA419832B2DB1 - Taken by Cth. 4 entrants total.
Dream Tale -- MB-31A4B86ED641FAF7 - Taken by bkw. 2 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Descent Underground -- MB-DB9327F9690FF41F - Taken by spindoctor. 9 entrants total.
Cheesecake Cool Conrad -- MB-4951F17ED7E3B950 - Taken by Kifimbo. 1 entrants total.
Cave Coaster -- MB-44C90FE7B09B60E6 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.
Loot Hero DX -- MB-0DDDF14E7113D899 - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-9C94C4F17F641158 - Taken by texhnolyze. 1 entrants total.
12 Labours of Hercules III Girl Power -- MB-4E9DBF2FD8EC66EE - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
Gem Wars Attack of the Jiblets -- MB-7DAFAF92103DB64E - Taken by ExoSoul. 3 entrants total.
12 Labours of Hercules -- MB-6E540F841931D63E - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 2 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Lumino City was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for 12 Labours of Hercules II The Cretan Bull was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for The Deer was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Dream Tale was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Descent Underground was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Cheesecake Cool Conrad was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Cave Coaster was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Loot Hero DX was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Akane the Kunoichi was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for 12 Labours of Hercules III Girl Power was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Gem Wars Attack of the Jiblets was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for 12 Labours of Hercules was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1451959067z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom