• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

It's a bit soft visually, even at 4K (make sure to set the desktop res first for Unity) but that's the aesthetic they chose. It ran flawlessly for me on my 1080.

Are they forcing some kind of aliasing?

No issues whatsoever, outside of the 360 pad not working with Steam Link. Game only supports the Steam controller so far.

But performance-wise it was silky smooth.

I would think that would be supported at the hardware level for the link.

Nabs

No issues whatsoever, outside of the 360 pad not working with Steam Link. Game only supports the Steam controller so far.

But performance-wise it was silky smooth.

Weird. I was able to use my DS4 on the Link with no prob. Same with my PC.

Anteater got me replaying Max Payne 2 now. I got it prettty close to 4k, and it looks really nice with the widescreen mod.

Uzzy

I see that EVO put out the schedule for next weekend.

evo-stream-schedule.png

Pretty packed few days, I'm going to need three monitors at least. The four hour break between GG Xrd: Revelator and SFV sucks though.

Before everyone goes Euro-crazy, here are some impressions for Broken Age:

The story: You play two characters, alternately by your choice, in Broken Age. Shay is a teenage boy who is coddled and kept safe in a routine, being fed cereal and nutrient paste from what's basically a high chair, and going through "missions" like eating ice cream and being hugged by talking toys made of yarn. He soon feels like a prisoner and yearns for something more. Vella is a teenage girl who's being prepared as a sacrifice to a being called Mog Chothra, who "chooses" young maidens (you know, by eating them,) but Vella wants to fight back and kill the beast rather than appease it. Both Shay and Vella want to break out of society's role for them, and Act 1 really makes it seem like a nice coming-of-age story, but Act 2 takes a much creepier turn. I can see why a lot of people liked Act 1 and disliked Act 2, but overall it's well-told. The ending could have been fleshed out just a wee bit more - I assume Double Fine was banking on a sequel - but it was fine for what it was.

It even contains some good twists and turns, playing on the player's perceptions of what's going on. The characters often express the same ideas you're meant to think, only for them to be revealed as red herrings.

The graphics: Splendid. The characters look memorable and in some cases adorable - I really liked the design of Vella's younger sister, mostly cute with a hint of mischief, as well as the gruff, cynical, badass grandfather - and the environments are worthy of any adventure game. They don't do anything grandiose like some of Daedalic's later features such as the Whispered World or the Night of the Rabbit, but it's still great to look at.

The dialogue and voices: Plenty of celeb cameos in here, including Jack Black, Wil Wheaton and Elijah Wood(!) bring this game to life. And there are also your reliable voice actors such as Jennifer Hale and Jamieson Price (and I'm hip deep in Baader-Meinhoff about him, having heard him in Bravely Second and Disgaea) to round everything out. It's a feast for the ears. They don't skimp on the dialogue either, with lots of unique dialogues for unusual inventory interactions. It's easily the best part of the game.

The puzzles: Yeah, we'd have to get there eventually, huh? Most of the puzzles are good, and some are classic "bullshit adventure logic" puzzles. There's some fourth-wall breakage as Shay and Vella have to draw upon knowledge the other received (or is it handwaved as a psychic link? Who knows?) and some typical "just use everything in your inventory until something works" trial-and-error nonsense. But if you're an old hand at adventure games, this shouldn't come as a shock to you. It doesn't detract from the rest of the game.

The length: The game says I took about 9 hours to finish, Steam says 11. I did a lot of pausing... be all that as it may, it's a decent length for an adventure game, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

The verdict: A singularly fine offering from Double Fine. Is it as good as Grim Fandango? No. Would I have been pleased with it had I backed it? Mmm...probably. Should you play it? Yes.

gelf

I actually just finished Broken Age today myself. Was decent enough, not sure I'd have been happy if I backed it though.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Weird how Banner Saga 2 is the free game for Xbox One this month

I'd play it, but my save won't transfer over (Because I played on PC)

Anno

The first book of the Malazan Book of the Fallen is truly the Dark Souls of fantasy epics. What an impossible book to read if you insist on exposition.

I ordered a 212 cooler on sale. Once that goes in everything should be nice and quiet. Metal mesh cut out, fan controller installed, new CPU cooler. Then we see how loud my new 290x gets!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finally we can join Denmark and Greece in having 1 european title

And never win anything again

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pony Island -- MB-757B74C14550E800 - Taken by someguyinahat. 36 entrants total.
Play as a beautiful pony, frolicking and leaping over gates.

t1468208492z1.png

Balthuk

I swear if I was the coach I'd tell him to chill the f out. If a player in my team is beside me giving directions, I don't care how good he is, he is benched for sure.
Edit: Was that you posting beautiful mad max screenshots? I think it was. Enjoyed those a lot.
--

In other news, I started The Secret World again after being reminded of it by this video . So I'm now playing that, wasteland 2 , always sometimes monsters and overwatch.
It's doable I guess. I just want to say that I finish some games but rarely do I actually want to. Like Mad Max. I've played Mad Max for 20 hours and enjoyed it a lot, surprising even myself. But I'm nowhere near done and don't think I want to go through the rest of it.

Endruen

Easily one of my best purchases in the summer sale. Pony Island's top notch.

I really didn't feel it. I liked it, but it didn't click with me. All I saw was: Hey, look! We've broke the 4th wall! That hasn't been done ever before, has it?
The 3rd boss was very clever, though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Pony Island -- MB-757B74C14550E800 - Taken by someguyinahat. 36 entrants total.
Play as a beautiful pony, frolicking and leaping over gates.

t1468208492z1.png

Anteater

the walking/running speed for these losers in fps games after the 2000s blows, why is there a stamina bar in doom 3, dude's sprinting is just normal walking speed ffs

still enjoying the game tho

I couldn't enjoy morrowind because the dude walks like 50 times slower than a normal human being

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
best morrowind strat:
- install no cliff racers mod, because you're not a fucking barbarian
- boot up game, start new game
- make acrobatics and aerobics minor skills
- pick the steed as your sign
- play as female breton (50% resist magika species trait, 40 base speed)
- pick light armor, every other armor class sucks
- immediately get boots of blinding speed (100% blind, fortify speed 200 points)
- equip them (50% resist magika makes it 50% blind)
- ramp up gamma to compensate for remaining screen dimming due to blinding effect
- bam, usain bolt

- run to ghostgate and steal the glass armor, now you have good enough protection to get through entire game (also looks badass)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So the best Marrowind strat is to break the game as early as possible?

This sounds more like "best Marrowind strat for people that have already played Marrowind"

Anteater

That's what enchantment is for. If you want you can make gear that makes you so fast you can noclip through buildings.

best morrowind strat:
- immediately get boots of blinding speed (100% blind, fortify speed 200 points)
- ramp up gamma to compensate for remaining screen dimming due to blinding effect
- bam, usain bolt

- run to ghostgate and steal the glass armor, now you have good enough protection to get through entire game (also looks badass)

I have no idea what those are but I'm saving this for when I try playing it again!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
so what was the problem with the Steam version of RE4? It's not the same as the GC/Wii version of content?

best morrowind strat:
- bam, usain bolt

Or do the opposite and live the dream:
rA832.gif

so what was the problem with the Steam version of RE4? It's not the same as the GC/Wii version of content?

The GC version got shafted and has the least amount of content, so I don't think that's possible. Not sure about PC/Wii though. Edit: And yeah the old PC version is a whole different ballgame vs. the new one.

NPD finally launches digital tracking to address "long-standing need"

Steam included.
NPD will notate next to game titles on the chart that do not include digital data. Callahan wants the service, which is being produced with the assistance of EEDAR, to ultimately be able to project data even for non-participants but NPD isn't starting with that ability just yet. Instead, it'll focus on tracking revenue from full-game downloads across Xbox Live, PlayStation Network and Steam. Services like Battle.net and Uplay won't be included at this point.

zkylon

zkylewd
Disgaea_PC_Capsule.jpg

finally finished disgaea

i kind of ended up enjoying it after moving past that zombie chapter that just throws really troll missions at you one after another. after i was done with that it was pretty much smooth sailing for most of the game barring a couple either troll missions or just really high difficulty spikes that i punched through with a mix of grinding and cheesing with chokepoints and having mages cast their spells and be thrown back into the entry portal thing. ended up beating it with an average level of 55ish which i think is kinda low since most enemies were like 75 on that end boss

anywho, i liked it more the closest i got to finishing it, mostly because the story never stopped being entertaining but also cos some of the leveling and grinding is kind of really satisfying to do as a sort of podcast companion? like i can turn the volume off and sort of go through item world levels without thinking about much and then i see a bunch of numbers go up

the actual game missions were almost univerally trash and the random difficulty spikes didn't help the game a bit but you can kind of power through it without that much trouble. but i never felt like i was very motivated to do anything other than the no-counter skills and aoe spells. they never did anything interesting with the geo pyramids or the dark assembly or anything, so i'm kind of disappointed that as a srpg it's kind of really bad

i hear there's an anime so ppl are probably better off doing that. i unlocked an etna mode thing but i don't know how long it is gonna take me to play through it or if i even want to

i kind of want to move to something else but i'm not sure what

Usually what I do is I create a resist magicka spell.
More specifically it's a resist 100% magicka spell, but the duration is set to 1 or 2 seconds so it's an extremely cheap cast.

As soon as I cast the spell, I throw the boots on. All of the speed, none of the blindness.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lol wtf is happening here

Morrowind has an enemy called Cliff Racers, which are these pterodactyl guys that fly around. They have extremely extremely large aggro ranges. You'll just be walking along the game's peaceful background music changes to combat mode, you have no idea why, and it turns out it's because a Cliff Racer from 30 miles away decided it is going to take a run at you. They're not difficult to defeat, but they're extremely numerous, they spawn everywhere, and they stay aggro even after you've long since run away from them. It's a very very bad design decision, it's baffling they didn't patch them out, they add nothing to the game, and the #1 most popular mods are always to disable them.

The depicted picture is basically an average Morrowind playthrough if you don't disable them*

* may not quite be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom