• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam players hate NBA 2K24 almost as much as they hate Overwatch 2

NBA 2K24 launched last week, and players have already made it the second-worst-rated Steam game of all time.

The latest entry in the NBA 2K series launched without any reviews from major gaming outlets, but the fan response to all versions of the game has been overwhelmingly negative. Broadly, fans are saying that the on-court gameplay is as sharp as ever, but discussion of 2K24's high points are being absolutely choked out by long-standing criticism of the series' aggressive microtransactions, and it seems the new badge system is only aggravating issues with how grindy the whole game feels.
image.png

But the PC version has been singled out for particular criticism, as it appears to be based on the last-gen PS4 and Xbox One versions. That means that PC players do not get to enjoy any of the graphical features available in the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions - despite the fact that those consoles are nearing three years old and are firmly current-gen platforms.

NBA 2K24 currently has 2,857 negative reviews on Steam, compared against just 315 positive reviews. According to tracking site Steam250, that makes it the second-worst-rated Steam game of all time, just ahead of Overwatch 2. The poor ratings for Overwatch 2 are partially driven by a campaign from Chinese players complaining about Blizzard's poor infrastructure in the region, and while there are also loads of Chinese-language reviews for 2K24, they mostly seem to be centered on issues with the game itself.

User reviews aren't necessarily the best way of determining what the worst games on Steam actually are, since review sections serve as an outlet for users to vent their frustrations as much as anything else - you won't get much of that 'hey, 2K24 seems fine if you're playing offline' sentiment here. But landing this near the bottom of Steam's very deep barrel is still a pretty notable accomplishment.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Deserves it, when are we going to see a proper next gen version of NBA2K? Take 2 looking at you, it's not like you make no money on the game.
Seriously the PC version they could put out now with ray tracing and more realistic models/courts could be the best looking version by a mile.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The IGN review of 2K24 for xbox should be deleted. How can you write an entire "proffessional" article about a video game and not make any mention of if the graphics are worse, the same, or better than the previous year? There's like 2 or 3 sentences about animations and that's it.
Are we now at the point that graphics don't matter? (I'm not)

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

Havent these games always been shit? I cant remember a time where I heard someone say "Wow that NBA 2kxx game is SO good!".

Why do they keep releasing old generation versions of this game on PC? Seriously, there must be a reason. Tell me the reason.

From what I've heard about past releases, 2K treats their NBA2K series with the usual "the fans will buy it anyway" cynicism you would expect from annual sports games, microtransactions included. But I wasn't aware that releasing the last-gen version of the game on PC was a common practice for them. That's so much more cynical and straight up dirty than I expected.

cripterion

Isn’t this kinda normal for sports games on pc. Like it take them 3-5 years before they ever update the graphics on them.

But why should it be normal?

They could optimize NBA2K for different specs and push graphics like never before using latest tech on pc.
Also, I hear the replays on console are still 30fps making for a jarring experience.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Maybe stop releasing last gen BS on PC and people will be happy? It's not mid to late 2000s anymore.
Isn’t this kinda normal for sports games on pc. Like it take them 3-5 years before they ever update the graphics on them.
Never heard of this ever happening on PC with any sports game. I mean we're looking at first release of RE4 on PC here, which was and still is based on PS2 version even on modern consoles.

Last edited:

They could optimize NBA2K for different specs and push graphics like never before using latest tech on pc.
Also, I hear the replays on console are still 30fps making for a jarring experience even

Also, I hear the replays on console are still 30fps making for a jarring experience.
Even way back in the ps3/360. Pc sports game would always have missing features or not have the newest graphics for a couple year. Think it went 3-4 years during the ps4-Xbox one. I always assume why they keep the pc back some, cause they don’t sell much more but mostly cause, it best to bring the features in lot slower and less. Cause on pc, it just be lot easier to mod the new roster in for new season. Why buy the next one then? Cause they don’t really add much more every year. Console players have to buy it every year to be up to date. They rather have ppl buy their games on consoles. If you make the PC just as good as the consoles. They just have to really buy it one time and just update the game roster so much easier and maybe only buy the new one. Once every 4-5 years when they really do make some what changes and updates

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They’ve done this now for years and I never pick them up because of it. I skipped fifa versions because of this but now fifa is parallel with current gen thankfully.

No excuse. You want to bring out shit products deal with shit reviews.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Haven't people been shitting all over this franchise for the last few years? I don't know why this is a surprise.

Though I am a little impressed that they ported the last gen version over - that's bold.

Reallink

Why do they keep releasing old generation versions of this game on PC? Seriously, there must be a reason. Tell me the reason.

Cause 90% of Steam players have 1060s/1650s, Quad core CPUs, and 1080p monitors. They want the largest possible playerbase for these mass market games.

Top Bottom