• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Restricting Helldivers 2 Purchases in Countries Without PSN

StereoVsn

People really need to stop using Microsoft games as an example...

First off, you don't play Sea of Thieves on your STEAM account, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account. The game doesn't work unless you have a Microsoft Account, so you're not getting to play the game and then suddenly being told "well we are going to require you to link your account".

Also, another thing is, Microsoft Accounts aren't just Xbox accounts. They're a complete service account. So, the majority of people have a Microsoft Account, especially if they have a Windows PC.
I mean the major difference is the teas required for everyone to play for the start. As far as requiring accounts, it’s the same BS with the difference you can get MS account anywhere and most people have it anyways.

Fabieter

This one was different, though. But I agree with underlying principle of what you're saying. I'm a person who refuses to make a separate account to play a game. If it's required, I won't buy that game. Over time, more and more companies are moving towards required these accounts and I don't see that slowing down. It may be too hopeful, but it would be great if this caused at least some people to stop and consider this practice overall.

Would kill for physical pc gaming to coming back so I feel you.

feynoob

This was always the case. It goes back to counter strike when valve moved it to steam, suddenly people had to make an account to play a game were non was needed at the time. Go on with your selective outrage. It's late!
Oh lord. None of this is selective outrage.

People loved the game. before this storm They are outraged for a REASON.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I mean the major difference is the teas required for everyone to play for the start. As far as requiring accounts, it’s the same BS with the difference you can get MS account anywhere and most people have it anyways.

The main reason this has blown up so big so fast is like others have said, this is being added as a retroactive mandatory requirement to an extremely popular game. There would be arguably less push-back if this wasn't a popular game and no push-back like this if this was already in place at launch.

bender

What time is it?
There was no "currently"

fucking-caught-sony-changing-their-own-words-accounts-were-v0-okp1ysvh5ayc1.jpg

Looks like a general FAQ.

Currently comes from the H2 Product Page.

feAu1Yr.png

Fabieter

This one was different, though. But I agree with underlying principle of what you're saying. I'm a person who refuses to make a separate account to play a game. If it's required, I won't buy that game. Over time, more and more companies are moving towards required these accounts and I don't see that slowing down. It may be too hopeful, but it would be great if this caused at least some people to stop and consider this practice overall.

This Is what I mean. They won't care the next time if the company doing it will screw them more carefully.

lifa-cobex

Warframe was popular when it hit steam and accounts were later too.

So your issue is the publisher account you have to sign up for? If it was some other account it would be ok?
No
None of it is ok. It's another dick in the mouth.

How don't you get this!?
Absolutely nobody likes the fact that you have to log into another account through steam.
No matter how many examples you through out. It doesn't change the fact that it's all shit.

The reason that Helldivers has gained traction is because it's a great game. It's stuck a nerve with people. The devs have been a great example of how gaming should be.
Fair price. Great interactions with the consumers. No BS.
Sony has ignored the PC market for so long. They released a few PS exclusive titles that has done well.
Now they have decided to reintegrate a policy that nobody wanted. The fallout being that now a large amount of people can no longer play.
It's corp greed. Plain and simple.
Helldivers is the current triumph. That's why its had such a large reaction.

If Sony had this policy from the start and carried it through to today. Nothing would have been said.
It would have been another day of the week for PC players putting up with BS.
But at least other places wouldn't have had to waste their time.

StereoVsn

The main reason this has blown up so big so fast is like others have said, this is being added as a retroactive mandatory requirement to an extremely popular game. There would be arguably less push-back if this wasn't a popular game and no push-back like this if this was already in place at launch.
Yep, people would still rightfully complain but they wouldn’t feel that Sony f-d them after the fact.

feynoob

If Sony had this policy from the start and carried it through to today. Nothing would have been said.
It would have been another day of the week for PC players putting up with BS.
But at least other places wouldn't have had to waste their time.
Praise The Lord Applause GIF

MayauMiao

PSN is not the only one guilty of region locking due to unsupported country. Microsoft's Xbox Live service is just as bad if not worse due to an even lower number of supported countries.

Dane

LOL how the fuck Sony gets so oblivious to the issue? Aren't they aware millions of people living in non supported countries have foreign accounts? Even with those who lives in had 2-3 accounts to buy stuff from other regions.
People really need to stop using Microsoft games as an example...

First off, you don't play Sea of Thieves on your STEAM account, it's all tied to your Microsoft Account. The game doesn't work unless you have a Microsoft Account, so you're not getting to play the game and then suddenly being told "well we are going to require you to link your account".

Also, another thing is, Microsoft Accounts aren't just Xbox accounts. They're a complete service account. So, the majority of people have a Microsoft Account, especially if they have a Windows PC.
I could be wrong, but IIRC Microsoft accounts are supported in all countries. Sony decided to do the worst type of integration possible, akin to MMOs that are region locked.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
PSN is not the only one guilty of region locking due to unsupported country. Microsoft's Xbox Live service is just as bad if not worse due to an even lower number of supported countries.

But do they sell the online games in countries where Xbox network is not supported? That's the issue here. Sony is selling games in countries where they know damn well the person buying the game won't be able to play the game after the PSN login requirement goes into effect.

Last edited:

Three

They should have changed the FAQ before the game launched to reflect the new policy regarding PSN logins. Sony's contradictory messaging on this hasn't helped them on this one bit. That's probably a big reason why Valve is granting refunds for those who have played the game many hours past the limit.
I agree they should have done a better job and fine tooth combed everything but it's only after the backlash where people went on internet archives to see what it was before they announced it. That's more likely them searching and finding little details in edited obscure FAQ pages to justify and stick it to the man with that info than it having influenced their purchase. Maybe somebody actually read an FAQ and came to an incorrect conclusion but the game store page where everyone puts that warning and the games boot up screen told them it did. Their downfall was adding a skip to reduce the server problems.

Here is an example of somebody who read it before release and even created a thread here about the requirement, before release, played then subsequently requested a refund and outraged. Was complaining all the way through while knowing it was always a requirement anyway. it's kind of clear it's not because some didn't know steamn always puts account requirements there, though I'm sure there may be some who look at Sony FAQ pages for that instead of the very store they have experience with in yellow warning colours. Seems more like a lot of it is outrage culture anarchy stuff for the sake of it that will of course dissappear for another release that is not PSN account related I'm sure.

Last edited:

adamsapple

But do they sell the online games in countries where Xbox network is not supported? That's the issue here. Sony is selling games in countries where they know damn well the person buying the game won't be able to play the game after the PSN login requirement goes into effect.

Is a decision like this (restricting game sales) done at the discretion of the publisher (Sony) or can Steam unilaterally make this choice for the game?

Just wondering if Sony are actively halting these sales or if Steam is getting ahead of the games restriction and/or in response to all the requests they might be getting.

bender

What time is it?
Is a decision like this (restricting game sales) done at the discretion of the publisher (Sony) or can Steam unilaterally make this choice for the game?

Just wondering if Sony are actively halting these sales or if Steam is getting ahead of the games restriction and/or in response to all the requests they might be getting.

Dollars to donuts this is Steam protecting themselves and they've already reached out to and are waiting to hear back from Sony on this shit show. Handling the support cases and transactions fees from the initial purchase and subsequent refund could be costly.

This is something everyone needs to take into consideration when discussing Steam's 30% cut. It's more than just providing a product page and housing game files.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Reading through the posts and the steps Valve took to remedy a situation they were aware of.
While its nice to paint Valve as the hero in this situation, no way they made these moves without working with Sony first since the refunds would be for revenue that has already been tendered to Sony through monthly revenue distribution.

Sony did the same on their platform for Cyberpunk (as did Microsoft).

Also, Sony isn't selling the product. Valve is selling the product through their distribution platform (Steam) and they have control over the sale of the product ultimately.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Dollars to donuts this is Steam protecting themselves and they've already reached out to and are waiting to hear back from Sony on this shit show. Handling the support cases and transactions fees from the initial purchase and refund could be costly.

Announcing this on a Friday was a real baller move, we're probably not gonna get an official response from Sony until Monday.

Three

Yes MS and Activison already does this too. People just select the relevant 'region' for Activision even though they might not be part of officially supported countries. Activison avoids trouble that way but some are playing from an unsupported country nontheless.

Portugeezer

Refunding people from non PSN countries or any country?

If any, people will just ask for refund if they've stopped playing.

Either way, Sony won't budge, so let the Steam babies get their refunds.

RCU005

This is the stupidest move Sony has ever made. This goes right beside Xbox One restrictions they wanted to implement at launch causing Microsoft to lose the entire generation.

Helldrivers 2 has been extremely successful for SIE, and it was their huge chance to enter the live service ecosystem everyone so desperately wants to enter (even though it has proven shit for most of them). With this, every other game that they release will be received extremely bad.

I imagine they are doing this because of their new layout for Steam games that was announced with Ghost of Tsushima. So they figured that people would love to earn trophies and shit, and at the same time they could take advantage of people by making them have an account. This is so stupid.

Every good will people had to try out a live service game from Sony, is now gone. They need to backtrack this stupid decision next week, or this will really have Xbox One-levels of backlash and consequences.

Fabieter

Refunding people from non PSN countries or any country?

If any, people will just ask for refund if they've stopped playing.

Either way, Sony won't budge, so let the Steam babies get their refunds.

I saw screenshots from pc peeps in the us refunding with way above 100 hours any say they had their fill and they will use it to get their full money back.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree they should have done a better job and fine tooth combed everything but it's only after the backlash where people went on internet archives to see what it was before they announced it. That's more likely them searching and finding little details in edited obscure FAQ pages to justify and stick it to the man with that info thannit having influenced their purchase. Maybe somebody actually read an FAQ and came to an incorrect conclusion but the game store page where everyone puts that warning and the games boot up screen told them it did. Their downfall was adding a skip to reduce the server problems.

Here is an example of somebody who read it before release and even created a thread here about the requirement, before release, and then subsequently requested a refund. Was complaining all the way through while knowing it was always a requirement anyway. it's kind of clear it's not because some didn't know steamn always puts account requirements there, though I'm sure there may be some who look at Sony FAQ pages for that instead of the very store they have experience with in yellow warning colours. Seems more like a lot of it is outrage culture anarchy stuff for the sake of it that will of course dissappear for another release that is not PSN account related I'm sure.

You are not wrong. Lots of folks are looking this stuff up and/or changing their narrative after the fact. Many of them simply looking for ammunition. But that is to be expected with something like this. Sony has always sucked at having their ducks in a row and it has bitten them in the ass a number of times.

FYI, you have two links in that second paragraph that are the same. I get the gist though.

Yes MS and Activison already does this too. People just select the relevant 'region' for Activision even though they might not be part of officially supported countries. Activison avoids trouble that way but some are playing from an unsupported country nontheless.

Sure, but this is a game that was bought through Steam. Clearly Sony can have Valve not sell this game in countries where PSN is not supported as that is what Valve is doing now. Even if PSN linkage was there day one, it doesn't make sense to sell the game in an unsupported country and then turn around and tell them they can't play it when they try to link their PSN account.

Three

Sure, but this is a game that was bought through Steam. Clearly Sony can have Valve not sell this game in countries where PSN is not supported as that is what Valve is doing now. Even if PSN linkage was there day one, it doesn't make sense to sell the game in an unsupported country and then turn around and tell them they can't play it when they try to link their PSN account.
Yeah I agree that they should have blocked sales from the beginning. I was only pointing out that yeah Steam sells MS/Activision games in countries where MS/Activision games are not officially supported but those users select "regions" that they think apply to them and create it anyway. Since you were asking if they do that.

Edit: I fixed the second link you were referring to.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I agree that they should have either blocked sales from the beginning. I was only pointing out that yeah Steam sells MS/Activision games in countries where MS/Activision games are not officially supported but those users select "regions" that they think apply to them and create it anyway. Since you were asking if they do that.

Ah, ok......I follow. Thanks.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good on steam doing this.

It wouldn’t be an issue if gamers didn’t get banned like the tweet showing gamers in China trying to do the process but got blocked.

All Sony had to do is stick with what they originally said and PSN needed, and not sell in countries with no PSN, and don’t go banning people if someone is trying to do a workaround to keep playing.

Just be cool and allow gamers already into the game for months some leeway and help them figure it out.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

The Sony intern probably just clicked the select all button for regions when creating the Steam store page. Before we dunk on them too much, most people ignored the PSN Account requirement when purchasing the game although some questioned it:

Topher

Gold Member
The Sony intern probably just clicked the select all button for regions when creating the Steam store page. Before we dunk on them too much, most people ignored the PSN Account requirement when purchasing the game although some questioned it:

Seems like there is a lot of confusion in that thread over whether it was required or not. Some saying yes, others saying no.

XYnR5cP.png

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm blown away that they've gone and delisted the game in all those countries. Do we know if this was a Sony decision or a Valve decision? If it was Sony ... wtf ... all they had to do was make it an optional thing going forward and then incentivize people to register through other means. What are they thinking?? If it was Sony they've somehow managed to make the situation worse.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm blown away that they've gone and delisted the game in all those countries. Do we know if this was a Sony decision or a Valve decision? If it was Sony ... wtf ... all they had to do was make it an optional thing going forward and then incentivize people to register through other means. What are they thinking?? If it was Sony they've somehow managed to make the situation worse.

I'm guessing, but I'd say Valve considering they are the ones that are going to have to process all those refunds.

Three

No
None of it is ok. It's another dick in the mouth.

How don't you get this!?
Absolutely nobody likes the fact that you have to log into another account through steam.
How do you not get this. I'm not saying people like it. I'm merely saying they did nothing about it and gave very positive reviews for the game and will go back to not caring and giving positive reviews not caring about account come the next game (CoD if the game itself doesn't shit the bed). That's all.

The reason that Helldivers has gained traction is because it's a great game.

So you went from 'it's the publisher that makes it different' to but warframe is not a great game in comparison? Is that why it didn't gain traction but went in the complete opposite direction? Warframe was also retroactive. It's clear I'm not goin to get anywhere in this conversation when you keep changing why this was different to other games. There's always going to be some reason or another.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Sony really can't catch a break.

Valve usually takes an off-hand approach in disputes like these. The only actions they take will be taking a looking at why the game is being reviewed bomb, and notifying the publisher that the game is being reviewed bomb.

The only time they will intervene is if government laws is involved. Or if the game contain explicit content.

ToneyJ

Lol between this and Stellar Blade, Sony is being absolutely retarded with their 3rd party partners lately.

Last edited:
If they reversed their new policy, would you trust them again? Most would say no.

At this point, there is nothing for Sony to do but hold the loss and enjoy their acquired users on their next financial report.

Elios83

Knowing Sony they won't do shit about this.
Because this is about their goals about how to handle the PC platform and integrate it with the PS ecosystem for all their future games.
The requirement was also there since the beginning and temporarily suspended because of the server issues, so it's not really a change of mind.
The only awkward aspect if that the game was also sold in minor markets on Steam where there is no PSN so they can't tell officially to these people to use a workaround, they'll have to refund but it's probably a really small loss of players.
They went nuclear with Cyberpunk and they'll go nuclear with this.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Making a PlayStation+ account is a small requirement for most gamers, but obviously, that's too much for some people and they're just going to b**** about it instead.

That being said, the way Sony handled this was just terrible.

People have legitimate issues because they live in an area where PlayStation Plus is not available.

If Sony wants to expand to PC then they're better off acting consumer-friendly because it's only going to hurt them in the long run.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Making a PlayStation+ account is a small requirement for most gamers, but obviously, that's too much for some people and they're just going to b**** about it instead.

That being said, the way Sony handled this was just terrible.

People have legitimate issues because they live in an area where PlayStation Plus is not available.

If Sony wants to expand to PC then they're better off acting consumer-friendly because it's only going to hurt them in the long run.
Sony needs to get on this, because they have at least 3 more Live Service games launching in the next few years that they'll have to go through this with. They should not have suspended the requirement at the beginning.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
No. I am asking if PSN account sucks more than other accounts or not.
It doesn't. They're all essentially benign user accounts. After you create one, you only need to log in when you need to play again. And I'm pretty sure they have a "remember me" option, so you might not even have to do that.

Edit: Sorry, I see what you mean. I think those other services support more countries that PlayStation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom