• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Director says they'll continue to take on the challenge of making single-player console games in the future

2YA79v7.png

Stellar Blade Director Kim Hyung Tae says the industry needs single-player console games that have an ending and Shift Up will continue to make them! #StellarBlade

“Sales success has become a severe issue in recent years due to the rising costs of development. To be honest, I often hear advice from people around me that it would be better to make games that have higher profit margins. But what our industry needs than anything is variety, isn’t it?
Console titles, that are single-player games with an ending, have a very important value in themselves.

A market where such games continue to be made and coexist with other genres and platforms is healthier.

That’s why Shift Up will continue to take on the challenge of console games in the future. We have a strong desire to continue to create games that allow many gamers to enjoy to the end and return to reality feeling good.”
Source - This recent interview in Korean | Also, Thanks to Genki over on X for the translation.

Last edited:

Aion002

Traditional SP game studio: I wish I could have a successful gaas.

Gaas studio: I want to make sp games.

Grass Is Greener Mowing GIF

Anyway, this guy seems to always say the right things. I can't wait for Stellar Blade.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
pander - gratify or indulge (an immoral or distasteful desire, need, or habit or a person with such a desire, etc.).
"newspapers are pandering to people's baser instincts".

Rooting for Stellar Blade but were these kinds of comments said 5 - 10 years ago?

This guy just seemed to come out from nowhere and just own the entire industry with his based takes. I really hope Stellar Blade delivers on all accounts. Single player gaming needs to stay on top if it's going to survive in this GaaS infested climate.
The important part is that he made his money selling GaaS games. But despite that he still wants to make a single player game.

My personal negative feelings on GaaS is well known for those who check my posting history. But I wouldn't have a problem with it if i get to play what i want too. it is those "everything need to be GaaS" crowd that annoy me. I am glad that there are studios who know it is not all about one or the other.

Mr Hyde

The important part is that he made his money selling GaaS games. But despite that he still wants to make a single player game.

My personal negative feelings on GaaS is well known for those who check my posting history. But I wouldn't have a problem with it if i get to play what i want too. it is those "everything need to be GaaS" crowd that annoy me. I am glad that there are studios who know it is not all about one or the other.

I agree. As much as I hate GaaS personally, having one successful live service game (or games) can help the studio and fund great single player gaming. Shift Up is doing the right thing here. Sony also seems to try this route. Helldivers 2 might be the game that keeps the light on for future God of Wars and Uncharted-sequels.

Crayon

Interested in seeing how fast they can do it. If this game kills, can they be back in 3 years? That would be amazing.

Top Bottom