• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stereogum Ranks The Top 50 Albums of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Doop

Have You In My Wilderness, Garden of Delete, and Viet Cong are way too low. Kind of shocked at Art Angels' placing. It was alright, but I don't think it would even make my top 50 this year.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ugh I hate "I Want To Grow Up" It's like some slick producer went back through her catalog, cleaned it up, added some shine, and re-released it. That low budget grime was what really made me dig her sound. Now some of her music sounds like background music for an straight to dvd American Pie movie to me.

Maengun1

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/12/the-50-best-albums-of-2015.html?a=1

Here Paste's top 50. I'm on mobile so I can't copy/paste the top 10.

Mountain Goats came in at 11 here though which makes me happy.

I like this list much more, thanks.

My favorite part about all these lists coming out is finding the ones I like the best overall, then seeking out all the albums on that list that I haven't heard yet. Always get a bunch more great music I missed out on I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Valhelm

contribute something
That list is absurd. Carrie and Lowell and Divers are better albums than what Grimes, Vince Staples, and Carly Rae Jepsen put out this year.

Timbre's amazing debut deserved to be on that list more than any of those three. Julia Holter's album also should have been at least in the top 15. Her placement at 50 is offensive.

These lists are so damn myopic it drives me nuts. So many great jazz, metal, r&b, instrumentals, etc. this year but no mention. The inclusion of Kamasi Washington is like the only genre "outlier".

Woa Woa Woa wait a minute here. Hop Along is my old high school friend's band. Are they popular or something?! I had no idea. This is crazy

Definitely didn't expect I love you honeybear would rank so high. I bought the album when it came out because I enjoy Fleet Foxes. I listen to it at least once a week.

big ander

both lauding and hating publication top lists is like having strong opinions about a recipe on a food package. a box of noodles isn't going to have suggestions on how to make a fun eggs benedict and stereogum or p4k or spin CoS NME etc etc aren't going to feature more than one or two already-known jazz/metal/ambient/experimental albums outside of their spread of "alt" approved pop and rock and hip-hop. this and any other big site's list is just an index of what they already covered because they were pointed to it by the pr companies they like to work with best and because the entries on it got them a bunch of hits earlier in the year.

PillarEN

Wait... has Carly Rae Jepsen had her Kylie Minogue moment now? As in breaking free from simple radio hits and doing something worthwhile? I will have to check her album out.

It is at least more diverse than Pitchforks usual yearly picks. Will check some of albums out I am not familiar with. It is hard to agree with lists but sometimes they can introduce you to some new sounds so I appreciate the share. It is funny to see the usual contenders whom have had a lot stronger albums in the past.

RDreamer

Really wish I understood what people like in that Kendrick Lamar album. I've tried to listen to it like 4 times and inevitably get too bored and turn it off. It does almost nothing for me at all.

New Julia Holter is waaaaaaay too low and the new Titus Andronicus and Blur albums waaaaaaay too high for me.

Boring list

with this sort of thing it's best just to take it as good enough for an album to be present

like that Titus album is clearly not better than Screamales but w/e, they're both there

overcast

Love that Natalie Prass got some recognition. Joanna Newsom, Julia Holter, and Oneohtrix Point Never feel lower than they should be here.

The biggest omissions for me are Braids (Deep in the Iris), Neon Indian (Vega HS), Shlohmo (Dark Red), and Jessica Pratt (On Your Own Love Again). Not surprised in the least about how much rap is missing here, but I won't complain too much.

Sufjan and Kendrick both deserve the highest praise across the board imo. Just fantastic albums. Donnie Trumpet and Chance's Social Experiment being included (and being that high) is just laughable.

higemaru

Bump up Julia Holter and Vulnicura a little. The Chvrches album really isn't anything to write home about imo; would have cut it for Ten Love Songs or Get to Heaven.

Love seeing Barnett in the Top 10 though, wonderful album.

Just saw that. LOL.

It's a shame I haven't seen Mutant on one list so far. Oh well, I don't know what I expected.

Mutant is one of my favorite records of the year. I like it a lot better than Oneohtrix Point Never's G.O.D. and its my favorite record Arca's made, second only to &&&&&.

Wasn't hooked by Jim O'Rourke's album the first few spins, perhaps I went into it with his far more experimental work in mind, which negatively colored my experience. Glad to see his name up there, but I get a feeling that's going to be a pretty big 'Who?' for a lot of people.

Was shocked to see him on there. Haven't heard much since the early 00s + sonic nurse

Love that Natalie Prass got some recognition. Joanna Newsom, Julia Holter, and Oneohtrix Point Never feel lower than they should be here.

The biggest omissions for me are Braids (Deep in the Iris), Neon Indian (Vega HS), Shlohmo (Dark Red), and Jessica Pratt (On Your Own Love Again). Not surprised in the least about how much rap is missing here, but I won't complain too much.

Sufjan and Kendrick both deserve the highest praise across the board imo. Just fantastic albums. Donnie Trumpet and Chance's Social Experiment being included (and being that high) is just laughable.

Yeah the Neon Indian omission is criminal. It's the most complete album in concept and execution I've heard in awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom