• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection -- Online or not? [PS2]

Ryu

I've seen news reports about the Xbox version being confirmed online, but the PS2 version has conflicting reports across IGN and Gamespot. Does anyone know for sure which it is?

Deku Tree

I don't know, but why would Sony allow the PS2 version to not be online?
I would think that SCEA would raise hell if xbox was getting the better version.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
PS2 version is not online. If you read the IGN PS2 and Xbox preview, you'll notice they are word for word the same. IGN just sucks.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
as of right now.. no
But as with any fighting game, i'm concerned about lag regardless of platform.

There has been, 1?, fighting game online so far?

jarrod

Banned
Suikoguy said:
as of right now.. no
But as with any fighting game, i'm concerned about lag regardless of platform.

There has been, 1?, fighting game online so far?
XBox is actually amassing a decent fighting library in the US (unlike PS2)...

-Capcom VS SNK 2: EO
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
-Capcom Fighting Jam
-Iron Phoenix
-Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
-SVC Choas: SNK Vs Capcom
-The King of Fighters 2002/2003
-Samurai Showdown V/V Special
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Godzilla: Save the Earth
-Mortal Kombat: Deception

...and probably some others I'm forgetting.

No on-line for PS2.

This is probably Capcom's most Bush-like business decision of the year.

Where is Street Fighter hugely popular? (Hint: Japan)

Where is Playstation 2 the king of the jungle? (Hint: Japan)

Which electronic pariah is getting an on-line version of said hugely popular in Japan fighting series? (Hint: Xbox)

Yeah, way to celebrate the 15th anniversary of SF Capcom, you retards.

If you're unhappy with this clusterf@ck of a business decision, make sure you write a letter of discontent to Capcom, and let them know. Not an e-mail, and no more whining on irrelevant message boards.

Write those pigf@cks a letter expressing your feelings on the issue, and mail it to them.

I've voiced my opinion to every jerk on Capcom's corporate page, foolish enough to list their name. Oh sure, that's no promise they would read the letter, but at the very least I've put some wear and tear on their paper shredder.

>:|

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
The point was the same as jarrod's comment...
What? That XBox seems to be doing decently in online fighters while Sony can't get anyone on board? Even Capcom in Japan announced their KDDI service would no longer cover PS2 fighters, and the CVS2 and Gundam servers would shut down at the end of the summer. This is really one area where Microsoft has done well and corned a market, niche as it is.

The fact that GCN and PS2 have exactly the same number of online JP fighters says something. ;)

evil ways

jarrod said:
XBox is actually amassing a decent fighting library in the US (unlike PS2)...

-Capcom VS SNK 2: EO
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
-Capcom Fighting Jam
-Iron Phoenix
-Guilty Gear X2 #Reload
-The King of Fighters 2002/2003
-Samurai Showdown V/V Special
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Godzilla: Save the Earth
-Mortal Kombat: Deception

...and probably some others I'm forgetting.

-Capcom VS SNK 2: EO = On PS2
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection = On PS2
-Capcom Fighting Jam = On PS2
-Iron Phoenix
-Guilty Gear X2 #Reload = On PS2, + Isuka
-The King of Fighters 2002/2003 = On PS2
-Samurai Showdown V/V Special = On PS2
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Godzilla: Save the Earth = On PS2
-Mortal Kombat: Deception = On PS2

Plus add:

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken 4
King of Fighters 2000/2001

And things are pretty much balanced out and equal between both consoles.

Ryu

Was it officially announced somewhere that the PS2 version would not be online? No offense, I trust you guys, but I'm just looking for an official announcement as IGN's story says it's online.

jarrod

Banned
evil ways said:
-Capcom VS SNK 2: EO = On PS2
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection = On PS2
-Capcom Fighting Jam = On PS2
-Iron Phoenix
-Guilty Gear X2 #Reload = On PS2, + Isuka
-The King of Fighters 2002/2003 = On PS2
-Samurai Showdown V/V Special = On PS2
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Godzilla: Save the Earth = On PS2
-Mortal Kombat: Deception = On PS2

Plus add:

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Tekken Tag Tournament
Tekken 4
King of Fighters 2000/2001

And things are pretty much balanced out and equal between both consoles.
Sorry I should clairified online fighting library. Overall PS2 has the better fighting lineup, but for online fighters XBox is lightyears ahead.

jarrod

Banned
rastex said:
I actually believe that it's online for PS2 in Japan, but I'd love for a confirmation.
It isn't, and Capcom is turning off the servers for CVS2, MVC2 and both Gundam games this year. Seems they're not making enough returns of fighters for their KDDI service. :/

No offense, I trust you guys, but I'm just looking for an official announcement as IGN's story says it's online.

No offense, but if it's the same one I'm thinking of, it also mentions how well the game plays on the Type S controller.

Last I looked the PS2 didn't have a Type S controller. Although IGN seems to have overlooked that, in addition to other things, in their rush to bloat their site with "content".

The KDDI servers are being replaced with a Sony networking solution. I expect this to become the standard for such titles in Japan. The details were in the same news article that announced the closing of the KDDI servers.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
If Street Fighter Anniversary Collection was online for the PS2, don't you think we would have seen an online beta from SCEA/Capcom already? ;)

Link316

Banned
Ryu said:
Was it officially announced somewhere that the PS2 version would not be online? No offense, I trust you guys, but I'm just looking for an official announcement as IGN's story says it's online.

just go look for the PR on Capcom's site, SF Anniversary and Fighting Jam are only online for the Xbox, Capcom's just being stupid as usual, they focus on putting crap like Auto Modelista online but they take it out of their fighters

MoxManiac

Capcom USA probably feels their 2D fighters are too niche to go to the trouble of setting up online play on PS2. With Xbox, they just add some live code and MS does the rest.

MoxManiac said:
Capcom USA probably feels their 2D fighters are too niche to go to the trouble of setting up online play on PS2. With Xbox, they just add some live code and MS does the rest.

This certainly doesn't sound like a Capcom USA decision to me. Unless they have some absurd amount of input on the Japanese end of things.

cvxfreak

jarrod said:
It isn't, and Capcom is turning off the servers for CVS2, MVC2 and both Gundam games this year. Seems they're not making enough returns of fighters for their KDDI service. :/

That's because those games go online via unwidely available USB modems and I hear they're laggy. I would suggest Capcom re-release Capcom vs. SNK 2 for the PS2 with EO mode, Network Adapter support and KDDI account compatibility (for those with BioHazard Outbreak and Monster Hunter). Capcom chould charge 3800 Yen or cheaper too.

Ryu

Well, I think that's bullshit. I mean, don't get me wrong as I have Xbox Live! already and can play it online there along with my xbox -> PS2 adapter, but dammit, I'd much rather use the PS2 controller on the Sony console not to mention the friend who I play all the time here at my house [on DC with DC -> PS2 adapters] owns a PS2 only and doesn't really want to shell out all the cash [game, Live, system, adapter] just to play this game. Sure, it's an investment when you think about it, but shrinking it down to 30 bucks only as he already has the online adapter and all the necessary stuff to play online with his PS2 as well would have been nice for him.

I guess my dissapointment in Capcom, at this point, is just forever growing, lest of course we forget their "brand new" fighter. :rolleyes:

rastex

Banned
I don't understand why people don't get it yet.

As Jarrod stated, for online fighters the Xbox is a must. For quality offline fighters, PS2 is a choice.

kevm3

I've already written a letter to those idiots at Capcom... If they're assuming that this won't sell well on PS2 already, then they're really going to find justification for their statement once the masses find out that it doesn't have online features.

I would've purchased the game before, but I'm certainly not going to unless they add online. I can imagine a lot more people having the same mindset. There's simply too little competition around here for me to purchase a fighting game. Fighting games were MADE for online, but it is foolishly being omitted in this case... If they can make an obviously niche title like Auto Modellista online, there is no excuse for Street Fighter not being online. Maybe if enough people wrote in, Capcom would get the hint.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
kevm3 said:
I've already written a letter to those idiots at Capcom... If they're assuming that this won't sell well on PS2 already, then they're really going to find justification for their statement once the masses find out that it doesn't have online features.

I would've purchased the game before, but I'm certainly not going to unless they add online. I can imagine a lot more people having the same mindset. There's simply too little competition around here for me to purchase a fighting game. Fighting games were MADE for online, but it is foolishly being omitted in this case... If they can make an obviously niche title like Auto Modellista online, there is no excuse for Street Fighter not being online. Maybe if enough people wrote in, Capcom would get the hint.

I just want Capcom to release an arcade perfect version of SF3 Third Strike for a home console, and to do it as soon as possible. I don't give a shit about online play, since lag ruins SF. Considering how bad the sales for CvS2 EO on Xbox were, Capcom probably thinks most SF fans are like me. For people who want SF3 online, there is the Xbox version which hits a little bit later.

jarrod

Banned
kevm3 said:
If they can make an obviously niche title like Auto Modellista online, there is no excuse for Street Fighter not being online. Maybe if enough people wrote in, Capcom would get the hint.
auto modellista wasn't inteded to be a niche release though, Capcom was hoping it'd become one of their premier franchises (they were expecting 600k in sales in Japan alone, probably over 2 million worldwide). 2D fighters on the other hand are most definitely niche in todays market...

Top Bottom