• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study finds men eat more meat than women

Sgt.Asher

the amount of dumb useless shit my wife buys on a daily basis is insane. same goes for all the trash she consumes on netflix. but im sure scientists will blame me for me 300 watt rtx 3080.
Before I was in a relationship I would take the dumpster out maybe once a month, now it's every week. The amount of shit she gets is wild.
I wonder if studies are done on general materialism between sexes.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think thats mostly because we have largely solved childbirth mortality but men still gravitate to high risk occupations (pretty much ALL high risk jobs are done by men) so as a population women live longer NOW. But I don't think they are inherently healthier just because of estrogen. Though with a diet that encourages atherosclerotic heart disease there probably is some protective benefit of estrogen so there could be a few months extra tacked on for that.

I'm not talking about childbirth mortality, or high risk jobs.

You can see that the women start to (significantly) outnumber men from the mid-late 60s onward after men have spent most of the preceding time outnumbering women.

There aren't going to be many men in high risk jobs at 67. Far more likely that a clogged artery is going to take take you than an explosion in a mine shaft by that age, I'd have thought.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

tenor.gif

nush

Gold Member
Before I was in a relationship I would take the dumpster out maybe once a month, now it's every week. The amount of shit she gets is wild.

It's not just you. Bed covered in plush toys? Beauty/health products that get used once and never again? I've got nothing to wear, better buy more?

Audiophile

Meat (from ruminant animals) is nutritionally optimal for humans and on average men are bigger, have more muscle, have a fundamental biological need for more energy and do more physical work.

I love that they've turned this into a social thing. For the most part it's a case of people just seeking out the thing they need to function; and the appropriate amount of it given our innate requirements.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm not talking about childbirth mortality, or high risk jobs.

You can see that the women start to (significantly) outnumber men from the mid-late 60s onward after men have spent most of the preceding time outnumbering women.

There aren't going to be many men in high risk jobs at 67. Far more likely that a clogged artery is going to take take you than an explosion in a mine shaft by that age, I'd have thought.
Males die more often at EVERY age group.

EVERY AGE GROUP.

cd8vqfd.jpeg

You can see that massive delta in the working years.

As to why it's still higher at old age, here is one reason...
2dtaxzI.jpeg

It ain't from eating more meat.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

EVERY AGE GROUP.

cd8vqfd.jpeg

2dtaxzI.jpeg

Male suicides are one of the least talked about mental crisis issues. Especially with the men's mental mental health month taken a extremely far backseat, by design, for a culture war agenda placed in it.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

EVERY AGE GROUP.

cd8vqfd.jpeg

2dtaxzI.jpeg

I think that while male suicide is of course a big problem that speaks of the myriad of problems with reaching and supporting the needs of men in society, and while I think that more men probably are lumberjacks or whatever than women, suicide and dangerous jobs aren't affecting the measure of life expectancy that I think my original post was trying to get at. Perhaps the chart didn't serve the point I was trying to make.

Everyone agrees that exercising, not smoking, eating healthily are ways to improve your long term health, and that is really what I mean to get at. Most people will know someone who lived to a ripe old age smoking 20 a day until their last day, but that doesn't mean of course that smoking is a recipe for a long life. The link between cancer and smoking is one that surely nobody would try to deny with a straight face.

It's well established that red and processed meats are also linked to conditions like cancer and heart disease. I just googled and the leading causes of death among older adults are heart disease and cancer.

So with that in mind, if you live to an old age and can avoid the biggest killers, then it stands to reason that you'll be improving your life expectancy.

So, I think that while you might argue that
It almost certainly isn't helping.

NickFire

The first sentence in the introduction:

"Meat consumption represents a significant threat to environmental sustainability via its impact on climate change, human health via its association with risk for disease, and social justice via its impact on animal welfare worldwide."

This should be parody. Sadly, it is not.

Top Bottom